Maidstone Half Marathon

Comments

• You are right AB2!

I did the Half at Maidstone in 2001 and 2002, but missed out in '03 and '04 - glad to see it has changed, as I didn't reckon on that uphill slog again.

and bugger the scenery - what with redheads, quickchix and rampant virgins, we should have entertainment at this one, all the way round.

bring it on..
  • Training's going good, one more long run in hills and then taking it easier next week.

Ashford 10k last weekend after night out with beer, curry and then up all night ill- still made it round with PB somehow!

I'm doing the HM with a couple of friends- two of us will be in the 1:50 to 2:00 bracket hopefully so if any one wants to chug along with us...
  • Training going well, without tempting fate. PB in Ashford 10k last Sunday. 7 miles last night, 4 this Thursday and then 11 on Sunday. Ease down big time next week, with a couple of gentle 3-4 milers.

The last HM I ran was at Thanet, so obviously looking for less oppressive weather, a slighty easier course and hoping for a PB! Not much to ask really...............
  • Dayglo - on paper I should be within 1:50 to 2:00, although I'm not chasing a time (under 2hrs is target) made that mistake at Paddock Wood. If training goes well will hopefully see you there!

still waiting for number!
  • Ok PB- give us a shout closer to the time, still waiting for number also!
  • my number has arrived - #21 - unfortunately I do not expect to finish in that position in the race itself...!

I am looking forward to the race - the weather really should be alot more favourable than my last event (Kent Coastal HM) and the course is less taxing...

• My new running shoes arrived!

My left calf is STILL painfull, even after 4 days off. I'm only planning on 2 more runs between now and the race, sat morning quick stuff, and an easy 4 miles next week.

I guess they'll test my calf and my shoes.

Watch this space...

no longer worried about the time, but my previous PB was set after only a few months running. I'll be interested to see what difference a years running makes, even though I've not specifically trained for a half marathon. I am of course hoping it DOES make a difference otherwise what's the * point!

RorD, still no number, but I hope when I get mine it has at least 3 digits!
  • JeyChick.
    Be a bit careful wearing new shoes so near a race.
  • thanks Dave, yes I know, it's a bit scary actually. I'm wary myself, but they are at least the very same model as my existing ones, and I've never ever had a blister or any previous problems except an injury we could obviousy put down to over-training.

My other option was to wear the old ones but they're 600 miles now and frankly, it's like running on cardboard. This is a beginner mistake - I gather that you should get new shoes long before your old ones are dead. I will not be repeating the mistake!

....yours, cautiously,

JC
  • Let's hope that there the entry is sizeable this year - I think there were just under 600 finishers last year. That said, I think it was around July that Maidstone Harriers officially confirmed the 2005 date so this may have an impact on entries... (although I hope not).

JeyChick - I would reiterate Dave's comments about new trainers - try to wear them in around the house as well as running so your feet get used to them - you should be OK as they are the same model as your old ones.
  • well they seem to be half way at least to last year's entry:-

# 312
  • RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭

Got the Beckley 10k on Sunday which is described as hilly so should be good training.
  • RorD - will wear them round the house, hadn't thought of that, thanks!
  • So to summarise! and I think this is the latest list! apologies if you're not on!

Maidstone maidens and men already entered:
    Cliff Face
    Dave Cox (229)
    Dayglo
    Euro
    Gareth L
    Iron Lindi
    Jey Chick (#67)
    Kevin Hanney
    Lozzer
    Nimble Nat
    Old Virgin
    Potting Shed
    Puffing Belly (277) - ETA 1:50 to 2:00
    Quicksilver
    Red or Dead (#21)
    Redhead (#66)
    Sandie.T
    Scotty
    Snoop Dogg (312)
    Tiger

Thinking about it:
    Tinribs
  • Maidstone maidens and men already entered:
    Cliff Face
    Dave Cox (229)
    Dayglo (219)
    Euro
    Gareth L
    Iron Lindi
    Jey Chick (#67)
    Kevin Hanney
    Lozzer
    Nimble Nat
    Old Virgin
    Potting Shed
    Quicksilver
    Red or Dead (#21)
    Redhead (#66)
    Sandie.T
    Scotty
    Snoop Dogg (312)
    Tiger

Thinking about it:
    Tinribs
  • Don't listen to Cliff (off his) Face. He's just jealous that after months on the road I have already overtaken him...

My number arrived today 265 and the excitement is growing... my first race.

Training is OK but I still have a niggle in my left knee but there is no way I'm going to miss this great event.
  • Just adding my number.... but I haven't run for a week and seeing the Fizz tomorrow about a calf problem so it's looking unsure/unlikely at the moment :-(
    I may pull out rather than risk prolonging injury as the Ballbuster isn't that far away and I'd be more disappointed to miss that.

Cliff Face
    Dave Cox (229)
    Dayglo (219)
    Euro
    Gareth L
    Iron Lindi 232
    Jey Chick (#67)
    Kevin Hanney
    Lozzer
    Nimble Nat
    Old Virgin 265
    Potting Shed
    Quicksilver
    Red or Dead (#21)
    Redhead (#66)
    Sandie.T
    Scotty
    Snoop Dogg (312)
    Tiger

Thinking about it:
    Tinribs
  • boo hoo sob sob,been sitting on my doormat now for 2 days waiting for my number.
    phone bill,bank statement,stair lift offer,interest free credit for the next 25 years,but no race number.

have to go for a run to take my mind off it.seriously though things are going well aiming for a 10 mile on sunday and a couple of short runs next week.
    iron lindi,maybe i could have your number if you decide not to run.(the vultures are circling)
  • Hi folks

#204 - but I'll swap with Paul for his credit card with 25 years free credit (is there any limit on that ??)

Dave
  • Come on Tinribs its only a Half....

Cliff Face
    Dave Cox (229)
    Dayglo (219)
    Euro
    Gareth L
    Ghengis
    Iron Lindi 232
    Jey Chick (#67)
    Kevin Hanney
    Lozzer
    Nimble Nat
    Old Virgin 265
    Potting Shed
    Quicksilver
    Red or Dead (#21)
    Redhead (#66)
    Sandie.T
    Scotty
    Snoop Dogg (312)
    Tiger

Thinking about it:
    Tinribs
  • could somebody add me to the list please
  • Maidstone maidens and men already entered:
    Cliff Face
    Dave Cox (229)
    Dayglo (219)
    Gareth L
    Ghengis
    Here's Johnny
    Iron Lindi 232
    Jey Chick (#67)
    Kevin Hanney
    Lozzer
    Nimble Nat
    Old Virgin 265
    Potting Shed
    Quicksilver
    Red or Dead (#21)
    Redhead (#66)
    Sandie.T
    Scotty
    Snoop Dogg (312)
    Tiger

Euro's out i think?...
  • I'm definately out :-(
    Physio inflicted lots of pain and then made me promise to go back next week, and likely I'll have to stick to cycling and swimming for the winter.

First time I've entered a race and not made it to the start line :-(

Cliff Face
    Dave Cox (229)
    Dayglo (219)
    Gareth L
    Ghengis
    Here's Johnny
    Jey Chick (#67)
    Kevin Hanney
    Lozzer
    Nimble Nat
    Old Virgin 265
    Potting Shed
    Quicksilver
    Red or Dead (#21)
    Redhead (#66)
    Sandie.T
    Scotty
    Snoop Dogg (312)
    Tiger
  • Oh bad luck Lindi :(

BTW you got a mention at the club AGM along the lines of most extreme endeavour of the year! :))

Hope to see you before too long. Mind you my swimming is more like floundering and I haven't got a bike ....
  • extreme endeavour? What's that then, Tigs? - braving Epsom High Street on a Saturday morning before Chrimbo? ;)

soz to hear that Lindi - get well soon (can I have your pint of Harveys best in the boozer afterwards then?)
  • Most extreme or most stupid?

The physio asked me what races I had done this year... 2 half IM and 2 full IM and a few other little bits... we then compaired this the the year before... a couple of half maras and a handful of 10ks... he thinks I may bave upped my trianing nad racing a little to quickly!

Help yourself to my pint Snoop - I'll be cycling over to Maidstone whilst you guys are running :-)