Options

Maidstone Half Marathon

Comments

• Options
    I have to smile at Old Virgin checking the weather on the BBC site !!..I run in a BBC vest and i have visions of him whizzing past me yelling "they said it wouldn't rain....."

Whatever the weather we'll run and we'll enjoy ..and besides they aren't fooling anyone they can't tell what the weather will be in 5 days times ...not in the UK in October !!!

Dave
  • Options
    was out at 7 o'clock this morning,took in allsorts,started out along the thames footpath(very refreshing with the sun glistening off the water).then past the hundreds of seagulls on the ploughed fields then through the lovely village of orsett(with cyclists and runners on the quiet lanes)run for 97mins about 12 miles i think.will be very happy if weather and time are the same next weekend.
    coffee and croissant duly eaten papers picked up enjoying the sunshine at present.to round off the day the hammers to win this afternoon.

just a word of caution to boys and girls,jumped in the shower after my run and jumped out.my nips were red raw and bleeding very sore.must remember the vaseline next week.
  • Options

how's the calf jeychick?

I have just taken three days off running with 'Ladies' stuff' (I can not write the word lady without thinking of the Little Britain chap, but I am a laaady!!), if cramps stop I might try to go out running for a bit tonight, inspired by Paul's lyrical description.

Paul - I am also hoping for this weather next weekend. Maidstone is really pretty in the autumn.

As it is Sunday I am passing some virtual cake around, we all need it ;)
  • Options
    Forgot to ask you all for another bit of advice: the schedule I am using for training, from Claire Kovalchik's book 'Running for women' suggests to run 2 miles the day before. Do you think this makes sense? Or should I stay home instead?
  • Options
    Hi Stellina.
    Yes, it does make sense, the hardcore runners I know do that. A small-effort, short run just to 'keep you sharp' and shake your legs out.

I never have myself though. I prefer to totally rest. But I would also never run 2 consecutive days in training either, unlike lots of people I know.

So, yeah, it does make sense as I've heard so many other people do it, but as for me, I'll be chillin'!

Good luck for the day anyway, it'll be fun, you'll love it.

PS - is the book good? I wouldn't mind a read of a girly running book, if you can recommend it.
  • Options
    Terrific advert for running Paul, apart from the reference to the Hammers! Some would suggest that running obviously leads you to lose your marbles.
    Fantastic virtual cake Stellina, and no calories, even better.
    Old Virgin, you are now on your own, Victor Meldrew indeed! My wife can call me that, in fact she has for years, by not my protege.
    We are officially finished. The route to stardom in 2012 will be a long and lonely one for you.
    As for Sunday, I will pick you up at 7.45am
  • Options
    Does anyone know if there are still places available for 'On the day enteries'? And if so is there a limit on the day?

Thanks
  • Options
    just back in from long run 10.5 still suffering cold but if i can shake it a bit ill be looking for around 1:55 anyone else
  • Options
    Steve, as far as I know, yes there are. We're anticipating about 100 entries on the day, if previous years are anything to go by. I don't know what the race limit is, so I assume we haven't got near it in the last few years...
  • Options
    Paul
    Had a good 11.5 mile run myself this morning and felt great. Then watched the Irons on Sky and was brought back down to earth. They've had a habit of doing that to me over the last 30 years!I usually wear a Bobby Moore Fund vest but having joined Ashford Road Runners recently, will be wearing theirs on Sunday. My race number is 75. What's yours, as you waited so long for it? Let me know and I'll say hi if I see you.
  • Options
    Hi all
    I will be taking part next week and wonder if there are showers available at the changing area as I need to leave there and get to upton park for the football.
    Cheers
  • Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Steve, can't you sleep?!

Time to update the list with numbers methinks:

Cliff Face (247)
    Dave Cox (229)
    Dayglo (219)
    Gareth L
    Ghengis
    Here's Johnny
    Jey Chick (#67)
    Kevin Hanney
    Lozzer
    Mad not Mad
    Nimble Nat
    Old Virgin 265
    Paul Nelder
    Potting Shed
    Puffing Belly (277) - ETA 1:50 to 2:00
    Quicksilver
    Red or Dead (#21)
    Redhead (#66)
    Sandie.T
    Simon Edwards 6
    Scotty
    Snoop Dogg (312)
    Stellina (93)
    Tiger
  • Options
    Looks like you've all had a busy weekend.... no running for me, wife decided it was time for her to go away for a girly weekend, leaving me with kids and new puppy! I expended lots of energy but did not manage a long run!!!!

Went out Friday and had an argument with a loose gravel track (it won!!!) tripped after seven miles!!! A commando role using my armchair SAS skills saved me from serious injury, embarrassment and a muddy puddle! Covered in dirt and gravel I managed a further 2 miles with no ill effects, but quite a few curious looks!!

Will be out for couple of steady 4 to 6 milers this week, with my last run on Friday or I might risk Saturday.

Busy old forum this one, looks like quite a few of us will be there!
  • Options
    Yes Redhead i'm sitting up at 2am trying to decide whether to enter or not,ha ha.
    I've decided to enter now. It will be my first 1/2 marathon so very nervous. Plan to just take it as a sunday run. Put my music on and just go steady. My 10k is 51min so hoping to get round in under 2hr15min at my steady pace.
    Wish me luck!
  • Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    SteveC2, good for you! With a 10k time of 51 mins you'll easily get round under 2:15. Just relax and enjoy the experience. Make sure you come and say hello ;-) Good luck.

PuffingBelly, ouch. I bet you looked lovely all covered in gravel and mud! Hope there's no damage done.
  • Options
    JeyChick, I have found the Clare Kovalchik book EXCELLENT - with lots of advice on 'girls business', like periods pregnancy and menopause. And lots of other good stuff too. It is written for the american market, so some of the advice does not apply for us in the uk, but apart from that a good read. You can borrow it from me if you want to have a look.

Puffing belly - all day with kids! I totally empathize with you, it is a killer. I must schedule to run in the morning, because after a day with kids I am normally too shuttered to run further than my bed.
  • Options
    anyone know which is the nearest train station for this race?
  • Options
    200!

Here's Johnny - as you were asking, used to do the hilly Maidstone Half at the previous location three years ago in about 1hr 49min - if it has indeed got a lot flatter as they say, I hope to be nearer 1hr 46min this time.
  • Options
    anyone travelling from London who might have space in the car
  • Options
    Redhead - no damage done, just back from 6 miler and all is well.... if not a little bit hot!!! and this is October!! Let's hope slightly cooler for Sunday.

Stellina - no kids and back at work and in control of my time! the only reason to work ...... to allow me to train! (Don't tell the boss!) oh and pay for the entry!
  • Options
    hey everyone, hope the training is coming along.

i did an hour in driving wind and rain last night, so feeling holy.

got my number now, so stick me down on the next list update - 246
  • Options
    Hi all
    I will be taking part next week and wonder if there are showers available at the changing area as I need to leave there and get to upton park for the football.
    Cheers

Number 13 (hope its unlucky!)
  • Options
    That should be NOT unlucky!!!!!
  • Options
    Paul Nedler
    Thanks for the advice I think I'd rather get a few miles in just incase I feel rusty on Sunday.

Quicksilver
    Do you need a license for that vest?

Anymore BBC Vest jokes?

I'm not sure what time I'll finish in but it will be a good 10 mins quicker than Cliff (of his )Face
  • Options
    Ged Doyle

I think Maidstone East is the nearest train station.
  • Options
    Old Virgin.

without a licence I'd be braking the law and under a vest (geddit)

Tell you what...check the 5 day forecast on the web site tomorrow and if on Sunday it's wrong you get a full refund on your licence, a staring role on Eastenders (first time they'll have an old Virgin) and to read the 10 O'clock news live on NEWS24.....we'll even get the Maidstone 1/2M on Sunday Grandstand with a headline lead "old Virgin comes Frist !!!"...

I'm number 204 make sure you come up and claim your prize

Cheers
    Dave (stamp)
  • Options
    Old Virgin.

without a licence I'd be braking the law and under a vest (geddit)

Tell you what...check the 5 day forecast on the web site tomorrow and if on Sunday it's wrong you get a full refund on your licence, a staring role on Eastenders (first time they'll have an old Virgin) and to read the 10 O'clock news live on NEWS24.....we'll even get the Maidstone 1/2M on Sunday Grandstand with a headline lead "old Virgin comes Frist !!!"...

I'm number 204 make sure you come up and claim your prize

Cheers
    Dave (stamp)
  • Options
    I see the BBC is putting on repeats again..

having looked now at the course notes "the route is a challenging one", I see this new course is not as flat as made out earlier, so perhaps will revert back to a predicted 1hr 49 mins again.