Hilden Health Beckley 10K

RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
This is the first time this event has been run so I don't know what the course will be like (although I suspect it will be hilly!).

The nice lady in the opticians in Northiam gave me the details so i thought I'd give it a go as it's quite near to me.

I've just entered on-line. Anyone care to join me? There's beer and cakes afterwards if you need an incentive.

Comments

• RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    <Redhead sits quietly waiting for someone to join her>
  • Certainly thinking about it as an optional first-timer!
  • I'll speak to you Redhead!
    I'm the RD for this event and I've just arrived back from hols to discover a Forum plus a healthy postbag of entrants, which is great.
    This is a first time event for us in Beckley but I'd like to think it will be a good 'un! It will be well organised and certainly we'll have plenty of support on the course - Beckley does have a tradition of supporting Village events.
    The course has got the odd hill - but what goes up must come down and with a slight downhill for at least the last mile (along Beckley Main Street, if you know the area), a fairly fast finish is pretty much guaranteed - and by the time you get to the finish, the hills will be but a distant memory!
    Looking forward to seeing you on the day.
  • RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Hi Martin <waves>, I've just replied to your email.

Nog, please come and join us. You won't be last - that's reserved for me ;-)))))
  • LOL! Unfortunately my sis-in-law has just signed me up for the Cirencester 10k on the same day. Shame!
  • Martin

Looking at Runners World with a mate, after a race 6 days okay, we decided on this one for 16/10.

As my map of the UK is in the car, can you please advise me - Is this race close to the coast ?

We are yet to enter, but both want to race on this day.

Matt
  • Matthew
    Beckley is about 3 miles from Rye - which in the olden days was right by the sea. Nowadays we do still have a small fishing fleet - but they have to travel about a mile or so to actually get to the sea!
    But Rye is a Cinque Port - so within 15 minutes of finishing the race, having a beer on us and colleccting your winners prize, you can be sat on the beach.
    Mind you - the race is in October.
  • Martin
    This sounds splendid. You have sold me the race, and I will be sending in 2 entries very shortly.
    The beach in October is better than South London in October, believe me.

I think it is a great idea regarding the free beer - A nice touch, which we obviously won't turn down ! ( This suggests to me a well organised race )

Good luck with the race numbers.

Matt
  • OK Matthew - look forward to seeing you then.
  • Is it time for a list yet Martin?

Matthew Birchley...
    Redhead...sub 60 mins

Ooh we need more peeps. Come on you locals, where are you all?
  • We have a list and a half let me tell you Redhead!!
    We've currently got just over a hundred entries and they're cominmg in at around six or seven a day.
    More to the point - they're all quality runners. Not a plodder amongst them.
    OK - I lie.
    But only on the quality thing.
    One of them is a post 50 girl - all the others are sub 40 mins.
    Doh!!
    I lied again.
    The post 50 entry is a bloke.
    The locals are not on the list yet because we haven't publicised anywhere other than local races and the RW website. We do though have a healthy entry from the Hastings AC/Hastings Runners/Senlac crew. There's also a batch - I think that's the right terminolgy - from Wadhurst Runners, Hailsham, Horsham et al. Strangely enough the biggest team entry is from the Oxney Vines Cross Tug of War of Team who have chucked in nine man team! Think they're coming for the beer.
    Should be a good field - hope your training is up to scratch Redhead!
  • ****!

I expect I shall be last then :-(

Plodders rule.
  • The free beer is a damn fine usp !
  • Martin, sounds as if plodders aren't welcome 'cos we're not 'quality runners' <flounces off hissing and spitting>
  • We need you plodders.

Am told the real athletes don't want free beer - they want Cranberry Juice. Ergo - need plodders to empty the barrel!
  • Anyway R/h I've heard you're no plodder - you're like a coiled spring was what I've been told?
  • <Rubs head against Martin's legs in a truly feline way>

I surely am a plodding plodder but I always try hard. Just make sure all the beer and cake hasn't gone by the time I finish ;-)))
  • Entries coming in really well - numbers and race instructions being despatched next week.
  • Hi to you all, re this event, i work for the original Hilden health/golf, i must say this is the first i have heard of this event, are they very involved?
  • The race is not being organsied by Hilden, that's down to Beckley Village Centre. However, we have managed to get Hilden Health in Rye to sponsor the event.
    They are also involved in encouraging some of their clients - particularly first time runners - to train up for the race.
    Entries are coming in well - I think we're looking at 200+ - a mix of novices and good runers.
  • Martin <SLAP> are you implying that we mere novices aren't good runners? ;-))))
  • No <<blush>. - I had you down as a very good runner - remember?
    Have you been out much lately?
    I've got Loch Ness on Sunday but I'm not too confident - two trips to the physio and I'm sitting here with a hot thing on my leg <<oooh err missus>>.
    My training has gone up in smoke, I didn't even gfinish the Bexhill 10K on Sunday - but have contnued to carbo load!!
  • You fat bloater! It sounds as if you're in the same state I was before Loch Ness last year. I'll try to find my race report to give you a laugh.
  • Does it mention anything about a hill?
  • It's no worse than the Hastings 1/2 (well, except that it's twice the distance). You can't do any worse than me!

Redheads marathon 2004
  • Heck!!
    I'll think of you on Sunday.
    Not sure anbout the marching sonmgs though!
    My problem is that I've not yet conquered the distance - I've donme London twice and finsihed twice - 4 and a half and 5 hours - but both times I didn't feel as though I'd done the disatnce justice.
    Looks like attempt no. 3 could go pear-shaped as well.
    But I'll think of your experiemce if the going gets tough!
    Supposed to be out for a 3 mile loosener now - but its raining .....
  • Hi Guys & Dolls

Very new to this "running" lark as can normally be found out in the woods on my mountain bike. Recently completed the Boughton 10k in sub 54mins, and looking to feed my new found addiction. Will actually put in a bit of training as opposed to just turning up and running, so hope to crack the 50min!!!

Hoping to come all for the day on Sunday 16th October, but due to work things do not always pan out for me. Therefore I will be looking to join on the day. What time should I be getting there to sign up? Are there things for my 3yr old son & partner to do while I out running?

Looking forward to being there and meeting new people

Spence ;-)
  • Good Morning Spence
    Hope work commitments allow to join the run. If you come along for 10 o'clock that will give you plenty of time to sign up.
    The race headquarters is at the Village centre directly opposite the playing fields - swings slide etc. Which will amuse your 3 year old. Not so sure about your partner though. There'll also be refreshments in the Hall and plenty of shelter if its a bit chilly. Its also a nice part of the world for a stroll so your partner can wander up the main street to cheer on for the last half mile.
    Good luck with the training.