Options

Pain in the Planter fasciitis

2»

Comments

• Options
    I've had PF since Dec 04. I stopped running and rested,iced, stretched and got Physio(ultrasound etc) for 6 weeks. Then I saw a Podietist and had casts made, which hurt my good foot more than fixed my bad one. After 8 weeks of more treatment I finally saw a Doctor and had a cortisone injection, yes it hurt for 4/5 days but after 2 weeks I have no pain. In about another 4 weeks I will start to jog again to test it then hopefully build up. I had still trained swimming, cycling and rowing. As I was training for Ironman UK I replaced the running with rowing on a Concept 2. The time for distance were very close to my running. I rowed the marathon and now I'm hooked and building up to a MILLION METRES. Don't let an injury stop you training, you may find something new to enjoy.
  • Options
    Totally agree with ref to steroid injection. Suffered from PF for months - foot fine as long as I didn't run on it. Had injection as last resort as was desperate to start training for 2007 London Marathon. No pain during injection or after and pain free 2 months and lots of training later. Am careful to build rest days into programme and very aware that over training may cause problem to reappear but so far so good.
  • Options
    Tina - very interested in your comments about swimming with PF ie don't do breaststroke or push off from the side as this is exactly what causes my foot to start aching. Oh for the carefree, injury free days that I took for granted in the past!!
  • Options
    Had 2 jabs. First one hardly hurt but didn't make any difference. Second one, 12 months later, hurt like mad, and screwed the sole of my foot for about 3 months. Didn't cure my PF either. The right custom orthotics have got me running regularly again and I'm in training for a half-marathon in Feb, the first since my PF started nearly 3 years ago.

Different things work for different people...
  • Options
    Hi,
    Just after a little advice from you please since im new to running. I started around August last year and run about 2-3 times a week, usually up to 5 miles each session, doing it more for keep fit than marathon training. I have, however, just signed up for my first 10k in April and would very much like to do this ( more of a personal challange ).
    Just this week though I have developed very much what you are discussing here, heel pain which spreads to my arch. Not in pain when actually running, its the rest of the time. I have read with interest the suggestions both here and on medical websites about the stretching, the massage, getting better fitted shoes ect and I am certainly going to try all those, but did wonder about the "resting" it issue. I work a couple of days a week in a job that i am on my feet the whole time and I do go to the gym about 4 times a week. I do cardio such as bike, rower and stepper and also weights. Which of those do i need to be taking a rest from ? I understand the bike and stepper...but the rower and weights too ?

Any more advice or suggestions would be greatly accepted, I dont want to do anything to injure myself seriously and being new to it all, I havent a clue.

Thanks.
  • Options
    Hi Judith, in response to your question about pf and gym work; I found that the rowing machine, the leg press and the stepper all exacerbated the problem. Since concentrating on the treadmill, the bike and the Nordic skiing machine my foot has got a lot better. Finally got round to getting fitted with decent shoes and I can't tell you the difference! Tried them out for the first time this morning and felt as though I was flying. Wish I'd done this months ago (couldn't bring myself to part with all that cash!)as I'm now convinced that overtraining in badly fitting shoes is what caused the problem and prevented it clearing up. Saw physio yesterday (fellow runner) and she suggested regular calf stretching and rolling affected foot backwards & forwards over a coke bottle filled with water and frozen.Hope this helps and good luck with the 10k. H.
  • Options
    Hi, and thanks for getting back to me so quickly.
    My gym is well stocked with equipment so I will try your advice and give my usual cardio routine a rest and concentrate more on the machines that wont aggrivate the condition.
    As for the shoe advice, i have found a runners shop in my nearest city and spoke to them. They measure and fit you with the correct shoes so will be paying them a visit on Saturday.
    I didnt really think i would take this running thing so seriously, but i love it, and thought it such a shame if i just gave up without a good fight.

Thanks also for the good luck with my first 10k...im determined to do it, but i suppose you have to take the good with the bad. I enjoy the running, the fresh air and it also gives me some quiet time to myself...but with that comes the injury side also...but will definately give those things a go. Thanks again.
  • Options
    Hi Judith - it's interesting that you're another person who spends all day on their feet. There's a big PF thread on here and most of us on that are on our feet all day too. I work in quite a small room and got some anti-fatigue matting for the floor. It's very much like this stuff at Argos (also seen in a recent JJB advert)

Matting

I found it helps me loads, and I now wear trainers for work instead of shoes. I don't know if either of these are an option for you but worth suggesting.

I've cycled all throughout my PF but treadmill and cross-trainer aggravated it.

The benefits of running far outweigh the injury side. I'd be a proper stresshead if I couldn't run! I bet you'll love your race - you'll get home and start scouring RW for your next one :o)
    Best wishes for your recover, Debbie
  • Options
    Debbie,

In one way its refreshing to hear that so many people suffer from this complaint, makes you realise you are not alone.

I actually work as a hairdresser, so alternative flooring for me isnt an option, but i can, and will, try your idea of wearing trainers for work...I definately think they will be more support than the shoes I do wear.

Resting it again today and tomorrow but eagerly awaiting my return to the gym on Sunday...thats as much a habit to me now as the running is becoming.
    Never thought i would hear myself saying that...I was an over weight 40 something year old about 4 years ago and between Weight Watchers and the gym Ive gained back my confidence and the whole running thing is a progression from that. So doing this 10k is the next step on...who knows what next, as you say...maybe just the start.

But thanks again to you both for the good advice and concern, and i suppose these things just make you feel like a "real" runner :)
  • Options

This is what my physio told me to do:

Calf stretches  

Stretches for the plantar fascia - stand with the balls of your feet on a step.  Slowly drop your heels down so you feel the stretch in your calf muscles and plantar fascia, then slowly raise them up again.  Repeat 10 times several times a day.

Massage - warm up the PF by putting your feet on a hot water bottle (don't stand on it, obviously!).  Then roll a golf ball around under the arch of your foot, or one of those wooden foot massagers, or simply use your thumbs.

Worked for me!

• Options

gonna get me some plantar faciitis insoles to help me not get this

• Options

Hope fully these plantar faciitis insoles will get me back on my feet once more!

• Options

josph ping Just recently after 2 years with this problem I am again tentively running again.Not far and not fast but at least running.

I am trying to use the Chi running method to avoid hill striking, I am also now wearing compression socks and will even when its shorts  time( if  it ever does arrive ) and I also have three pairs of support insoles but now that will be four as those you have brought look like they are definitely worth a try so thanks for posting and good luck with the injury.

I will also add that as much as I have cycled and swum its never compensated me for not been able to run.

• Options
    DevleyDevley ✭✭✭

Just found this interesting article on some myths when treating this ailment.  The idea is to keep inflammation down and promote circulation.  Relates to some previous recommendations throughout the thread.  Careful with any rolling of water bottles or balls. It can potentially cause further damage if pressed too hard.

http://kingbrand.com/./Plantar-Fasciitis-Myths.php?REF=34PV334.302

• Options
    Just thought I'd resurrect this feed.

Interesting thoughts from Devley, the site you attached essentially says nothing works apart from this company. I wouldn't recommend following advice from that site.
  • Options
    I have very painful heels in the morning and throughout the day. I get slight relief from trying to stretch the plantar. The problem has lasted over a year.

I have noticed that sitting down for long periods of time does make my calves and hamstrings tight. I think this in turn also causes the heel pain.

I recently had custom made Langer orthotic insoles (through private podiatrist) made,  which does really help my balance and gait - especially as my calf and knee pain is significantly reduced with the insoles in. However the heel pain still exists.

At the moment, I find it really difficult to stand on my feet for longer than 10-15 minutes. I'm hoping the stretching will really help, because I miss running an awful lot! 

I've got a check up appointment with my podiatrist tomorrow, so I hope I will get some answers. Thinking of seeing my GP to ask for some scans of my feet too.

As someone in my early twenties, it's affected my daily life/work for so long now, I do get despondent.

Has anyone of a similar age or indeed anyone with this problem had any positive outcomes? Motivation is definitely key.