Options

Monday 15 August

Comments

• Options
    well done at Askern Peter G. Mile 2 marker was definately there. Can't remember where but i saw it.

Mile 6 was a nice one wasn't it, the only one i think with a bit of a tail wind. The last mile felt that treading through treacle.

Hope you're ok after your splat Lizzy. Wet tram tracks. Ouch!
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Haven't had time to read all yesterday's thread, so apologies if I've missed any racing reports, but well done anyone who raced yesterday!

URR, what an experience and an eerie swim. It's sounds ever such a tough tri, well done! Glad your mate was ok too.

Well done SCS, good performance! On the loo paper, if you ask a woman she normally has some in her bag. I've often known my male club mates to come over to me and ask if I have any on me and I do!:o)

Sound like a great few days BT!

Sorry you struggled yesterday Portaloo. It will make you stronger. I find the ones I've done poor in makes me more determined to get it right the next time.

Pammie, I don't normally take a drink for anything under 10 miles. In the summer I normally take a small hand bottle for 12-15 miles and a bigger drinks bottle in a waste belt for runs over 15 miles.

Well done Peter, still a solid race time!

Hope you're ok Lizzy! I had a nasty fall on tram tracks in my town. I avoid them like the plague now!!

what:am 5 miles recovery, pm 6 miles tempo
    why:marathon sharpening phase
    last hard:Sat
    last rest:Fri

Have a good day all!
  • Options
    Morning all,
    Great to see Paula winning yesterdays race, she did a good job thats for sure.

The Red Lion 10K for me yesterday, probably the hilliest course in Kent, not one for PBs as everyone I raced at Dinosaur 10k 3-weeks ago, were around 1min-1:30min slower at this race, ditto with me as well, 37:34sec! where I did 36:30secs at dinosaur!

I wore my Compression stockings for the first time, and felt good at the start, slotted into group two went through first 1k marker in 3:12, then after that the course became hilly and undulating, mostly up! felt food until 3k, and my back played up a little, settled down and got a good rythen going, 5k saw a massive steep climb, legs strong but my back jolted a little again, through 5k in 18:17secs, the next 2k, I really hit a bad patch, and just lost concentration, got passed by two people here,the course then went down hill, I recovered and picked the pace up nicely, gaining on runners in front on downhill section, very windy here though so lost time, course then hit 9k and a long climb upto the finish, needed to sprint at the end but held out for 17th/350, and 37:34secs. rubbish time, but I finished ahead of runners for the first time this season and was closer to my faster teammates, in fact I was lead IEK until my bad patch at 6k, so signs of a stronger race then, just want a fast course to convince myself things are heading in the right direction again :)

What:
    am: 5-mile at 6:10mm pace, already done, legs pretty stiff this morning, but able to keep my target pace going, back seems a little better today, fingers crossed!

pm: 5.5mile at 6-6:30mm pace, same as this morning if legs can take it!

Why:
    Aerobic endurance and conditioning
  • Options
    Morning,
    What: OW swim tonight
    Why: ?
    Last Hard: Saturday
    Last Rest: 8 days
  • Options
    Morning all,

Good runs SCS and PG.

URR - Total respect, that swim sounds tough. I dipped my toe in the Bay a few years ago, thats as far as I got!

What: 6.2 easy
    Why: Lack of time. This week is going to be hectic as prep for holiday is taking some time. Also legs feel a bit sore after the cycle and run yesterday.
    Last Hard: Yesterday
    Last Rest: 21st July

Have great week... 4 days to holiday!

• Options
    Afternoon, lovely day here.

What: 62' MTB ride, mostly spinning in low gears
    Why: felt like it

Have a good one, everyone.
  • Options
    PodroPodro ✭✭✭
    Now then
    Back from 2 weeks camping holiday in France, trim tanned and bearded. Only managed 5 runs in the 2 weeks but took in some glorious 15 mile coastal runs in Brittany where they had a coastal footpath along the cliffs. Seals, dolphins, lizards and snakes aplenty and some good fishing with Podro minor as well. Also managed a fair bit of swimming and snorkelling.

Great reports from URR, Peter G, SCS and Micksta. I'm looking forward to racing again when I can get around to it.

What: 8 miles lunchtime
    Why: getting back to it again
    Last hard; Coming back to work
    Last rest: past 2 weeks:)

Run well all.
  • Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    well done micksta!
    Thanks Mava, my mate sue wants to do it.
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Options
    Micksta, when it's described as HILLY by our lot, I take that at face value! The winds were pretty powerful too yesterday - I woke up listening to the howling outside and felt so smug that I wasn't racing. So, well done.

You just confirmed to me that I was right not to do it. I reckon Dinosaur was 2 mins down from pb potential, so that makes Red Lion 3 mins down! Eeeek!
  • Options
    after noon all
    well done to all racers yesterday...too many to mension yet again.....
    6m easy recovery run in about 45 min...
    still stiff from yesterdays race
  • Options
    Afternoon

what: 4 miles easy
    why: miles
    rest: 3 days
    last hard: ?

Have a good day.
  • Options
    Hello All,

What: am - 6 miles easy; pm 4 miles easy; - a little cycle
    Why: recovery
    Last hard: tuesday
    Last rest: 15 May (no secret)

Glad the TG pictures were enjoyed - I hope one or two of you give it a go one year.

Hilly - congrats on the first place!

Wabo - wel done another handicap win.

clink - belated happy birthday

paul l. - good time at Askern! congrats on the pb -we knew you'd be well inside 80 mins.

FL - you enjoyed the cudworth then :)

SCS - congrats on your PB at Askern.

SG6 - great time and position, well done. Poor organisation - must try harder :)

LizzyB - that wasn't a bad time at all at Jagermeister. Glad to hear the ankle was absolutely fine too. Hope you didn't hurt yourself coming off your bike. I'm feeling a bit paranoid about that - after spending so much time on a mountain bike (and my commuting bike is a mountain bike with slicks) I'm not at all convinced that those itsy-bitsy thin tyres will hold me up! Especailly if there's a bit of rain about.

Portaloo - well done on your half marathon. Lanzarote is reputedly the second hardest IM in the world (after Hawaii) - very choppy, hilly and windy.

Soda -sdorry you were disappointed with your time - hope the prize was a good consolation. Maybe all the miles in yur legs are catchibng up with you and something of a taper would be needed to perform your best.

Julz - a solid race from you, really not so far from your PB. Looks good for the future! Congrats to MrsJulz on her debut.

URR - great report. That's a really unusual and interesting sounding tri - not much advantage for the cyclists.

Peter G - well done at Askern - it's always nice to feel strong all the way round.

Micksta- glad the red lion race went well for you. When's you next fast 10km race?

Podro - welcome back! Sounds like a lovely holiday. we missed you at the social but I think I drank your share of beer.
  • Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    URR: Great report.
    LizzyB: Hope you're ok.

What: 3 x 10 mins at 75%MHR
    Why: To try some work sessions
    LastHard: Ages
    LastRest: Yesterday, swimming in the deep blue Atlantic waters warmed by the Gulf Stream (??) off the coast of Gran Canaria. Never realised jumping off a pirate ship could be so much fun.

Today's work session was difficult as I woke up late and the temperatures were already hitting the upper 20's (lower 30's). Plus I forgot my water bottle.

Taking a lazy day off to do some shopping and relaxing.

Have fun.

• Options
    afternoon all,

well done to Micksta for what sounds like a stronger race and to URR for a great report!

what: 5.5 this evening so 8 and a half this afternoon
    why: endurance
    last hard: Wednesday
    last rest: 52 days
  • Options
    Mellifera - I think the accident only happened as I was on my commuting bike (MTB with slicks) rather than my road bike - I assumed that I could cross a tram junction without a great deal of care and attention because of the wider tyres. Ooops. Honestly, after a few rides on the road bike you'll wonder how you ever put up with a MTB, I actually feel safer on a road bike than an MTB, simply because it is so responsive, manoeuvrable and light.

ngb- enjoy your lazy day

Not feeling that great this afternoon, so am happily snaffling flapjacks and cafe lattes. For shock, of course.
  • Options
    Gosh Lizzy, hope you feel better soon. Flapjacks always do the trick, I think. Am working on implementing your cornering advice on my MTB - goodness knows how I will go on a racer!

Pammie - meant to say earlier: I pretty much always take a drink. I wouldn't bother for 2-3 mile trots, but anything over 5, for sure. I take the same amount (500ml) up to about 12 miles, then take my 1.4l camelbak. I don't know that I necessarily NEED it, but it makes me feel more comfortable.

I managed 12.5 on the bike today, to Sainsbury's with a rucksack full of shopping for the return. Legs surely are knackered from yesterday. Have been sat in the sun in the garden re-reading HarryP after marathon cleaning session. Lovely!
  • Options
    Hope you are OK after your fall Lizzy, nothing dented.
    "Honestly, after a few rides on the road bike you'll wonder how you ever put up with a MTB"
    My sentiments exactly, in reverse of course. I always find getting back on a road bike the equivalent of riding a shopping trolley :-)

Race calender is building up now:
    90% certain of the Quicksand 15 at Margate 25/9,
    Nike 10K, although will be treating this as a fast training run 16/10,
    Dublin marathon 31/10.

On the lookout for a decent half mara somewhere inbetween all that lot now.

• Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    ooh melissap, am jealous...
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Options
    mavamava ✭✭✭
    Pammie, on drinks. I'm with Melissa and tend to take a drink except for very short runs. I made the mistake of not taking my Camelbak on the Blackpool Half and had terrible trouble with the lack of water. Learned my lesson and will always take it for races of Half Marathon or longer.

I do think it's a very personal thing though. I sweat a lot so do feel I need to drink regularly.
  • Options
    Melli/Lizzy & bikers

About to purchase a road bike for a race in October. Limited choice here, but what are Trek road bikes like? Any other suggestions for hilly road riding would be helpful...
  • Options
    Don't really know much about Trek bikes, Trinirunner - IMHO you are paying for the brand and the 'Lance Halo' effect, which wouldn't be the case with the less well known brands. In the UK you can get better for less, but if that's all which is available, then go for it! What other brands are avaialable?

As for hilly road riding ... practice! ;-) There's only one way to get good at hills, and unless they are all 1:4s that go on for miles you don't need a triple chainring or anything. Not if you are as fit as I suspect you are!
  • Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Just had a quick read of the weekend events so well done to all those who raced and also to those that trained well.

Calf still giving me grief, so opting for the safety first approach, did just 2 miles on Saturday, mile jog to meet running pals, told them I wasn't playing, and jogged home.
    Followed up with 5 hours shopping at Bluewater without kids, suffice it to say I don't want to see the bank statement when it comes in.....

Am planning a sloooww run tomorrow, so hopefully the calf is OK.

Pammie, I only take drinks if I'm doing a long run (ie hour plus) unless its extremely hot. Road 10k races I can't remember the last time I took drinks on, after all if you're properly hydrated you should be OK.
  • Options
    Pammie

I only take drinks on my long run on a sunday, weekeday 10-14 miles no need as so early and sun not out to dehydrate.I just take water on LSR.

Lizzy
    Hope you are okay after tumble!! enjoyt he flapjacks:-)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Evening all,

What a disappointment in the cricket.

What: 16 miles easy before work, felt much better than yesterday's aborted attempt. What a difference 24 hours rest and some sleep makes! Will pop out for another easy 4 in a minute to ease out the legs for tomorrow's session.
    Why: Yesterday's long run postponed one day.
    Last hard: Today
    Last rest: 21 days
  • Options
    Can someone explain the "follow on" rule to me please? I thought that a draw at the cricket leaves the series more open than the usual position after 3 test matches.

What:
    Planned 5 miler plod in lieu of screaming track session.
    Why:
    taper, day 1.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Did 10km at tempo pace or sort of tempo pace. Don't think I quite hit the right pace, but it was hard enough!
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Is the follow on rule If the second team to bat are still 200+ runs behind (after their innings)the first team can get them to bat again
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Thank you peeps for all your opinions on drinks normally now i just drink on the long runs with the exception of yesterday. Could always pop in the pub en-route but i don't think thats what they mean by drinking on the run.
  • Options
    Follow on rule:
    Each side has two innings, and if the side which bats second doesn't get within 200 runs of the side who bat 1st, then the side who bats first can make the side who bat 2nd take their 2nd innings again. This is called making England follow on. Only it wasn't England who nearly had to follow on this time.

Because Australia won it last time (and the time before......) England have to win the series to take the ashes. If it ends level then Australia retain them.
  • Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    blisters,
    if the team batting 2nd end up more than 200 runs behind the first team, then they could be forced to follow on, ie bat again. Since they may not get the 200 runs they are short, and so team 1 won't need to bat a second time.

Example.
    England 400 all out
    Australia 199 all out
    England enforce Australia to bat again (as they were 201 runs behind)
    Australia 200 all out.
    England win by an innings !!!!

If (in the example) Australia made 201 (ie 199 behind) then England would have to bat first a second time and decide on a nappropriate score to 'declare' on.

Gutted BTW with the outcome.