Monday 15 August

Comments

• 2.5 mile slow run done and legs feel more alive for it after yesterday's hard race.

blisters, the follow on rule : using England's first innings score of 444 as an example. In Australia's first innings reply they had to get within 200 of England's score to avoid the follow on, i.e. 254. If they got less than 254 all out England would have had the option of asking them to follow on, i.e. bat their 2nd innings next. It is just an option but is rarely turned down. As it happend they avoided the follow on by scoring over 300. But say they scored 200 all out in the first innings, they would have then had to score 245 runs in the 2nd innings simply to avoid an innings defeat.

Hope that helps.

As dissapointing as the draw is, it is nice to see the Ausies celebrating a draw against us :)
  • ooops, check the calculator, i did of course mean 244 runs to avoid the follow on.

one question-several replies.
  • mavamava ✭✭✭
  • Lizzy, I measured 4km climb of 1500ft some up to 1:4!

Does that mean tripple set?
  • mavamava ✭✭✭
    My turn to ask advice please.

I've entered Windsor Half on 25th September. This is 3 weeks before Abingdon which in theory is meant to be when I do my last long, long run.

Should I forget doing Windsor? Or do it but push it? Or do long-ish the day before so I run Windsor on tired legs?

I very much doubt I could make myself run another 7 miles after doing the Half! I'm also doing Robin Hood Half on 11th, and was planning on a 20 miler between the two.

Cheers.
  • crawls in
    2.5 miles done
    got blisters om my blisters and chaffs on my chaffs
    and legs of lead
    and 90 year old lungs
    ho hum
  • Evening,

Well I have learned something today re the follow on rule. A pity England did not clinch it right at the end but what a battle. The two best cricket teams on the planet toe to toe slugging it out - unmissable sport.

URR - great swim -run - bike - run, excellent endurance with over three hours effort.

Clink/Melli, yes I think you are right, marathon miles taking their toll. I'm feeling well worn out today so -

What: 6m run (at 69% MHR)??? but it felt comfortable
    Why: recovery

Last hard: Sunday
    Last rest: 6 days

3 days off work for me now - yoohoo.
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Greetings all,

Well done to all the racers this weekend, - Peter Gledhill, Portaloo, URR, Julz, Lizzie, Sodahead, PaulL, SG6, FL, Hilly, SCS, Wabo. (I think thats it, sorry if I missed anyone).

Mava - I too am aiming for Abingdon on 16th Oct, What time are you looking for, I want a minimum of a PB 3:40 but want to ultimatley crack 3:30.

What - 6m at 1/2 mar pace

Why - Marathon Trg

Last rest - Yesterday

Last Hard - Fri

Enjoy:-)
  • mavamava ✭✭✭
    RJF - you will be finished, showered and fed by the time I stagger in! I'm absolutely determined to do it in under 5 hours (I have the disappointment of 5.00.09 at FLM to get over). I should be able to do it, if I can get the miles in but sometimes I wonder if I'll ever get any faster than I am now.
  • mavamava ✭✭✭
    Sorry, RFJ not RJF!
  • Mava, consider this

Robin Hood 1/2 on 11th run at your marathon pace.

Do your 20 miler at marathon pace plus 20 to 30 seconds per mile.

Run Windsor at a pace that leaves you feeling "I could go on for miles yet". This will be tougher than you think cos you will have plenty of hard miles in your legs leading up to this.

You are now three weeks away from your marathon, recover and taper in the full knowledge that your legs are well rehearsed.
  • mavamava ✭✭✭
    Thanks Sodahead. The two HMs I think to myself 'yes, I can do that' except I gather Windsor is hilly (or at least undulating). Scary thought doing a 20 miler at faster than marathon pace though! But you've given me food for thought.
  • i hate/don't know anything about cricket but i thought the follow on meant if you're shit you have to go first next time?

re the drinking - i used to leave a bottle behind the tree in the front garden so on long run of 15 or more could take a quick slurp (effectively a figure of 8 route) or at weekend mr clink came out on bike/in car but dont bother less than 15. used ribena on anything 20 or more.

re bikes - lizzy hope you are ok! i have a trek racer but only cos my mate's mate was selling it. that said i do love it, very 'slick'
  • Windsor is bloody hilly
  • I think soda means marathon plus 20 to 30 slower. there isn't 20 - 30 seconds between most peoples 20m and mara pace.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Been away all weekend so haven't had time to catch up on Sat/Sun threads. May I therefore offer my congrats to the same good folk in RFJ's list!

Cycling forumites.. do you know anyone who owns an Airborne bike frame? I am seriously thinking of investing in one of their titanium jobbies soon with Veloce bits attached. Any feedback would be most welcome? The local stockist is on my high street so will be handy for problems, servicing etc. Lizzy, sorry to hear about your fall.

16 miles today in 2 hrs, had a day off so I thought I would get the midweek long run in 'early doors'.
  • mavamava ✭✭✭
    My mistake MikeB. Not with it tonight!
  • Congrats to all racers - SCS, Jultz & Mrs Jultz, Paul, SG6, Lizzy, Peter and Micksta.

Big Tim & Simon - what a wonderful time you guys must have had. The marathon course was set up nicely for you to be able to give heaps of support!

Lizzy - hope you are alright after your fall.

Pammie - Only usually bother about drinks on long runs - and that's because I run with a group and we regroup at drink stops. Don't usually carry one though pleased I had a bottle of water with me when I ran my marathon earlier this year. I fell and so was able to use the water to tip on my injuries!

Mava - I would race sparingly. Run the half you feel more confident in otherwise you might end up having a couple of good halves and nothing left for the marathon - good luck. Getting your 20 milers feeling nice and comfortable will be more beneficial to you feeling nice and relaxed going into the marathon.
  • JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Evening all!

Soda - 16th overall!!! Perhaps all the marathon miles are just taking their toll???? I don't know much about marathon training but just a suggestion. Can't complain on a first place though!
    Pammie/Joe V - my HR is easily effected by dehydration so I always keep myself topped up. Rarely run with a drink at the mo (though haven't done a 10+ mile run for weeks....)
    Hollywood - not sure on coastal runs, but Merthyr 10k is on Sunday if you fancy racing!!
    LizzyB - Sorry to hear about the splat! Nice to hear you being upbeat about it though! I think I would be rather shaken and grumpy!

Went to gym this evening and forgot there was a class on at 6pm so couldn't do my plyometrics. So did 4 treadmill miles instead.
  • Mava, yes your 20 miler wants to run slower in minutes per mile time than your 1st 1/2 marathon.

Bit of a back breaker doing it the other way round (not to mention calfs, quads, hammies and gluts).
  • mavamava ✭✭✭
    LOL! Think these long runs must have an effect on brain cells too...mine aren't functioning too well!
  • Jen' - now you've got me reading about racing the train on Saturday... Sounds like so much fun. Just got to persuade Miss H now. She might now know about follow-ons but I'm pushing my luck when it comes to steam trains.

mava - 9 seconds outside that 5 hour barrier is so unfair!

Wabo - Read up on your weekend victory now - well done, but I reckon you are in for one tough handicap next time - and there's no way they are going to let you change it...
  • Finally read back. Well done to the racers, especially URR, sounds a great experience, and you can't miss out on a freebie next time.
    Good luck with the alien Hollywood. :-)
  • Thanks peeps. I think I get it now. Get within 200 runs of the opposition. ;-)

Mava
    Three weeks between Windsor and Target Marathon. Not ideal, but hey ho, life ain't. Here's what I'd do. And it flies against the grain of logic.

Do a 1 week taper. Race Windsor, to see what you are capable of. Your time will help predict your marathon pace. Recovery week. Last long run 2 weeks out: but don't try killing yourself on it. Taper for 2 weeks (50% miles, 30% miles). Run the race of your life.

If you take this advice, don't try anything new in the HM. Putting a week of blister recovery into the sums makes it a bit worrying. Jsut prepare well and go for it.

Windsor isn't Bl**dy hilly. It does have a good steep rise in the first mile, then it's undulating. You run down the hill in the last mile, with the finish line in full view all the way down. It's more crowded than London Marathon though.
  • Hi all!

Only skimmed today's thread, not been back at the weekend, so apologies for being out of touch.

URR - sounds amazing. Glad your pal was OK.

Big Tim - yes, it must have been something special to have been there. Glad you had a good time.

Me? Back from five days in the Swiss mountains. Two long days, climbing from 1,600 metrest to well over 3,000 metres, one short day of 500m climb, and two "rest days" which involved runs of 1 and 2 hours respectively, at about 1,600-1,800m. The footing was sufficiently treacherous that the runs were definitely slow. For me, the climbing was good upper body strength training - legs so pathetically feeble that I only succeeded in the climbing by hauling myself up on my sticks. Quads and psoas got excellent workout on the downhill and coped well. I guess those two long days count as cross training equivalent of long slow distance.

All climbs and runs absolutely stunningly beautiful. God aren't I lucky just to be able to be there and part of it.

Strange to be back trying to breathe this thicky chunky soupy stuff that passes for air down here.

Go well all.
  • Evening folks.

Just briefly skimmed the thread from the last few days...lots of good racing going on...particular well done to Hilly on your first race win!

A quick report on yesterday's Mull Half Marathon...

Very warm again (low 70s), so a little apprehensive! Hoping for something sub 6min/m...anything better will be a bonus. I know there's no chance of a PB in this heat and on this course, which has a few long uphill drags.
    Set off steadily, getting into 6th position after the first mile. I get passed by a Holmfirth Harrier at around the 2 mile mark. Try to pass him again but he digs in and moves ahead. OK I think, let him deal with the headwind we'll have for the next 10 miles! I hitch a ride in his slipstream!
    Basically, tick off the miles until I realise we're slowing a little and I can feel a nice blister forming on my left foot.
    After we passed the bloke who'd been running in 4th place, who was walking and visibly suffering, one of my clubmates tears past the pair of us at about 12.5 miles and me and Holmfirth guy try to hang onto his coat tails. I just about manage for a couple of hundred metres and we drop Holmfirth guy. But my clubmate just manages to open a wee gap over the last few hundred metres. He runs a 2 min PB and we cross the line a few seconds apart in 5th and 6th places. Our lead runner finished 3rd, so we scooped the men's team prize!

Happy enough with my time of 1.17.45 (3.40 quicker than last year), bearing in mind the course and conditions.

To cap a fine day, our ladies also won their team prize (2nd, 3rd and 4th places), with a new ladies club HM record going to the 2nd placed girl!

Mrs Scobos also had a good run, finishing in 1.43.14, within 3 mins of her PB (and off hardly any speedwork!).

A brilliant wee event which we'll keep on returning to!
  • Late post from me today but thankfully feeling less tired than the last few days.

What: 7 miles steady
    Why: Keeping the miles going
    Last hard: Saturday
    Last rest:Friday

• Evening folks

Some really interesting posts over the last couple of days from Askern to Mull and a real international flavour from Helsinki to California and back to Joburg! Very well done to all the racers! (Sorry too wacked to go throught the list).

21 miles on the bike yesterday and another 14 miles today...great fun riding through the bumpy forest wearing dark shades...especially when the sun went behind the clouds...like flying an F-16 with night vision goggles;-)

----

• ecatly
    JGRM
    Im a gonna re read the thread tomorrow

i cant breathe well at the mo
    wonder if its the air rather than me