Why: Schedule Says So

Last hard: Yesterday
Last rest: Saturday

Comments

• Moooooooorning !!!

What : Average 4 mile

Why : Still recovering after virtually no training over crimbo
    Last rest : 6th Jan

• Last nights run was truely magical. Got home from work about 6:30 shortly after a brief snow storm had left about two inches of snow on the ground. Went for a 45 run around trails and tracks (with head torch), temperature about -3 and absolutely no sound apart from my feet crunching on fresh snow. Fabulous.

Today: Cross train - cycle and rower
    Why: Cannot run two consecutive days at the moment.
    Last hard day: Maintenance training only at present.
    Last rest day: 30 December
  • Good morning everyone
    Today - 30 mins constant run inc hill
    Why - schedule says so
    Last hard day - Saturday
    Last long run - Sunday
    Last rest day - yesterday
  • Morning all...
    AM
    What: 6 mile recovery run (in sub 44:00)
    Why: Recovery from the weekends excess of races. Also to loosen the legs for the first club session of the year (tomoz)
    Last Hard: Sunday
    Last Rest: Monday

PM
    What: Full Body Strength Sesh, Gym
    Why: I enjoy me weights, plus it helps make me a 'complete' athlete. Plus I like posing... ;)
    Rest as above
  • G'day
    well done to those who've already been out and enjoyed the sub-zero conditions. KK pose as you wish but please don't inflict a piccy of it on us!

What: club night - probably hill reps brrrrrr
    why: continuing test of knee, and a lot of aching muscles have got lazy.
    last hard day : race sunday
    last rest : sat
  • I could change it for a head shot sfh, but I expect that would cause even more complaints, and a few cracked monitors!
  • Hello me dearies.

What: Club night.
    Why: To keep warm? There's a prize for any more plausible answers.
    Hard: Saturday long run.
    Rest: Sunday.

Keep going!
  • Morning,

What: 3.5 miles
    Why: Its Hals fault again
    Hard: Sunday (just a walk but my legs still feel it)
    Rest: Yesterday - just a bit of stretching
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Morning guys and gals...
    What : Nothing
    Why : Wife up in town for a full days pampering at the Sanctuary with the girlies followed by dinner at the Ivy , very la-di-da....
    Still with that and the weekend break in Rome she got for crimbo, I am in huge brownie point credit.
    So this weeks schedule is a day out of kilter (reps tom,midweek long run Thur,fartlek friday,easy day Sat and back to normal long run on Sunday).

Love this cold weather, didn't stop me sweating like a pig lastnight tho'
  • What: 10 mile run
    Why: to see if I can do it in a reasonable time, Helsby Half on 19/01.
  • what-speed session at club tonight -gonna be blo#dy cold!
    why- need to get arse in gear
    last full rest- New years day
  • Ditto - speed session tonight. Still minus 6

Last hard - Sunday
    Last easy - yesterday
    Next rest - Friday
  • morning, folks.

thank heavens for the treadmill - no way was I going to do a speed session on the track this morning. call me a wimp if you like but if I want to skate I'll go to an ice rink.

what: 2M warm-up/1 w/down; Variable Pace Continuous 10K, alternating 400m @ 5K pace and 400m @ target marathon pace, you know the drill; came in under 37:20, not too great, not too feeble.
    why: first proper speed session of the year
    last rest: last Monday
    last hard day: Sunday

good luck today everybody and mind how you go.
  • Morning all,

Another lovely day, should be out on the hills on a day like today. Martin, your run sounds fantastic, wish we'd get some snow and had proper forests to run in.
    Dustin - you've got the idea! Is this to soften the blow of all those long runs taking up your weekends?
    Achilles, well done, esp on a treadmill. Glad to see Horvillers back to stake out their place on the forum.
    WW, want a lift to Helsby?

What: rest
    Why: need one, have done 3 hard sessions in last 5 days (I know I know, Korsa King does this before breakfast) and feeling it. And got to get long run in tomorrow or Thurs, x country race Sat.
    Last hard: ice skating at the club last night. Glad I got all those new thermals from Santa.
    Last rest: Fri
  • HAPPY NEW YEAR (belated, but hey, better late than never right?).

What: Club night 10M fartlek
    Why: It's the Tuesday thing to do.
    Last Hard run: Saturday
    Last rest day: yesterday.

Really concerned about my fitness level, but tonights session will certainly reveal all. I'll report the gory details later ;-)
  • Am I the only one who LOATHES and DESPISES this sort of weather??
    <rant>
    I hate the cold air gunging up my upper respiratory tract; eyes watering in the cold, having to put on extra clothing and feeling that my movement is restricted; having to keep a close eye on the ground as I'm running in case there's some unseen slippery surface ahead.
    If there's no wind, the risk of frost/ice underfoot increases. If there is, the windchill makes it feel even worse.
    There can be some visual compensation if visibility is especially clear - but that doesn't count for much after dark - which is when I have to train in midweek.
    </rant>

what: quality session with Wirral AC runners (the top women plus various others)
    why: it's Tuesday
    last hard day: Fri
    last rest day: Mon
    last long day: Sun

In view of Helsby being just 12 days away, will reserve the right to cut the session short if it's really heavy. We shall see.
  • WW - good luck.
    Not exactly ideal conditions for it.
  • Morning all! well, it's beautiful here, still no proper snow below 500m, but lots of frost, blue sky, and the sun making the tops of the mountains pink. The fjord is that lovely steely blue tht water becomes when it's really cold.

But I'm still poorly, as is Mr LizzyB. I would LOVE to be going out for a couple of hours in this weather. But I can't. But feeling a bit better today.

What: gentle half an hour
    Why: Panicking about fitness levels dropping off - haven't done any proper running since 28th December (the fateful day I ate oysters and curry)!
    Last hard: Oh god, yesterday. Did my '16 minutes' route - it took me 25 minutes and I had to stop halfway round to sit down. Don't think I should have been running....doh!

Good luck to everyone battling with the cold - honestly, a scarf or Buff over your face makes it more than bearable. And two pairs of tights are just as good as one thermal pair.
  • Hello All,

What: my 1st speed session on treadmill
    Why: Schedule say's so
    Last hard: yesterday 8 miles
    Last rest: Sat

Happy running everyone!
  • MM - could you have a look at my query on the gear thread, knowing that you're a cyclist.

MikeS - given your hatred of this weather BUT your committment to running do you think its worth investing in a treadmill? I have one and swear by it for really nasty weather. Not cheap (for one that's up to your speed) but think of the saving on cold remedy/arctic kit/elastoplast etc etc.
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Still not over my cold/flu yet, so I'm not going to venture out in the cold tonight. Temp got down to -8 last night, and the forecast is for colder tonight, so I'm staying in where it's warm.

Might go for a swim/sauna/jacuzzi tomorrow, and aim to be running again by the weekend.

Last rest: Every day since Xmas day.
    Last hard: Climbing the stairs this morning!
  • drewdrew ✭✭✭
    What: 8 x 800 off 1 lap jog recovery
    Why: speed session (although based on the times it took me for the reps "speed" is maybe not the appropriate word!
    Last hard day: Sunday
    Last rest: Saturday.

Achilles, good time for your 10k. I did the same session last week on the treadmill in 38:21, using a 1% incline. Don't know about you but I find doing it on the treadmill harder than on the track.
  • Apropros nothing at all. I tried a cheap and nasty treadmill at a hotel recently. It was OK at a very slow walking pace, but on speeding up I found that once per revolution of the belt it came to a complete halt for a split second, then jerked forward again. Whoever said treadmills were boring?
  • Afternoon from Inverness, -6 here still but a lovely day all the same.

what: interval session, 1 mile warm up the 6x 3.30 mins at 7min/mile + 2 min recoveries then 1 mile cool down
    why: it is good for you

last hard: Sunday
    last rest: Monday
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Afternoon, what lovely icy weahter we're having!

What: club time trial tonight, going to be mighty cold along the sea front.

Why: club night plus speed session

Last hard: Sat

Last rest: yesterday
  • not being made of steel like Laura of the Lakes, I'm with Mike on this freezing weather business - a bit of cold I don't mind, but treacherous roads and pavements (we're talking London here) are simply no fun at all and definitely not good for the health.

falling over might be a lot of laughs out on the country trails, but it's not recommended on concrete and tarmac.

deep snow I don't know about, since we never really get it down here in Softieland, though I'd have to say Martin's run this morning sounds like a fantastic experience.

if you're going for the treadmill option though it has to be a really good one - I only use the ones at the gym which are rock solid and can take you to 4 minute miling if you so choose without any problems (it's quite fun BTW but distinctly hairy and feels much much faster than the same pace outdoors!). I might be wrong but I think a lot of the ones in most people's price range are simply not sturdy or fast enough for serious use - i.e. running rather than leisurely fat-burning. a decent treadmill is going to set you back several years of gym membership to buy for yourself, so it's probably not a great investment unless you don't have an option.

Drew is right of course that you need to use an incline of 1-2% to begin to approximate the equivalent effort outdoors and there is quite a lot of research that suggests too much treadmill running is bad for your running form - but on days like today I'll settle for that.

good luck everybody running tonight and stay safe. you have my admiration. :-)

• oops, sorry, that was just meant to be a short message, apologies for disturbing the training thread with this random nonsense. ;-)
  • Yup, slippery pavements here in London ... but running on the sunny side of the road kept me on my pins & warmer !

What : 7 miles in 51 min ... felt faster but the map brought me back to earth ! Perhaps after lots of longer slow runs it is tricky to get the legs moving again, HRM also suggested I was'nt going at 90 mph
    Why : Maintain the 40 miles/wk
    Last hard : Sunday
    Last rest : yesterday

• Welcome back Marmite Master! Hope your club session isn't too painful, though there has to be some price to pay for swanning off to Italy for Christmas while the rest of us were trudging along sodden lanes.

Achilles - shoes with good grip are much cheaper than state-of-the-art treadmill. But then we're hard up north - and tight too. :)
  • What: just 1.25 miles at lunchtime with the kids at school.
    Why: I'm resting my back (XC on Sunday was probably not the best way to recover), but I wasn't going to let the kids down. We did a short, easy run as it was so cold (but great conditions). Had to disappoint one kid who wanted to run in shorts and tshirt. They've got to cover up a bit in effective sub-zero conditions (but they're hard here).

Itching to get out properly again, and I'd really like a bit of proper snow.