Sub 2:45 FLM 2006

Comments

• blimey! this thread has died!
  • My feet are in a pretty bad way at the mo but my legs are still feeling good.
    Got a LDWA 27miler on Saturday just to get a final bit of endurance in my legs.
  • Hi guys, only just found the thread. Posted 77 mins at silverstone couple of weeks ago and will be running Paris in week and a half. 10k time just under 36. Will this put me on for a sub 2:45 or do I need to check out the sub 3:00 group???? Ran Paris last year in 2:54 off a 79 silverstone so unsure how new times will equate! Any help????
  • Im not highly experience but i ran 2.47 last year with a lot of cramping bother over the last 6 miles, would prob have done sub 2.45 - this on the back of a 79 min half marathon, so i would have though 77 mins would be comfortable for it.

Q. How can you safely lose a bit of lard? i think im carrying 3 or 4 extra pounds, and as they say a pound = 1 minute - im interested in losing it!
  • AC - I'm in the same position - I'm weighing in at about 77kg at the moment and I think my race weight should be more like 74. Any tips?

I did the Cleevewold on Sunday, a 14 mile cross country race with 1500ft of climbing (and lots of mud) in 1:45, with no stopping to walk. Last year I did it in 1:48 in much drier conditions two weeks after a 78 min half, so I'm pretty pleased with my time. Not sure how it translates to the marathon though, but hoping it will give a bit of strength to my legs.
  • MR, I'm running Paris as well. I ran 77 in Bath last week and 2.53 at London last year. I'm looking for an improvement but know it won't be easy. There's no reason why you shouldn't go for 2.45, I'm hoping to get close to it if not get under it.
  • 77 half is a relatively I think much etter time than just under 36. Generally any cut in pace in a shorter race SHOULD translate directly to the same pace improvement per mile over the longer distance so if you've the same "endurance" as last year, then a 77 suggests 2:50 for you, but I'm guessing that your endurance is probably better making 2:45 a serious goal. My only worry is that Silverstone is a fairly flat course, but then FLM itself isn't hilly is it?

MacMillan predicts 2:42:24 so you've probably got every chance of going under 2:45!
  • Re losing weight: I cut out lunch at work during the week. Just eat fruit during the day (as much as I want). Its easy once you get used to it.
  • Thanks Bryn, CID, Andrew. Paris is very flat with a lovely downhill start so I'm going to go all out for sub 2:45. Thinking of 1:20 first half and 1:24 second. Also doing FLM 2 weeks later and Ironman France 6 weeks after that!! Did UK Ironman in August after 2:54 in paris and completed marathon in 3:30 so endurance is much improved. Fingers crossed ++++
  • I’m making my mind up on race morning. If the conditions are good, I’ll aim for HW in sub 79. In mediocre conditions (bit of wind, rain etc), 79:30. If it’s looking terrible, my fallback is aiming for a 2:43 – 2:43. In all cases I’ll be looking to run the second half in roughly the same speed as the first.

My HM was 76, but got lazy after clocking the first 10km in sub 35. It was a windy day and having to run on my own from 5 miles in meant that my pace dropped without me realising. That was in an 80 mile week, so I reckon a tapered attempt would give me a sub 75 in current form.

On Sunday I’ll be running in the Paddock Wood HM. The plan is to run the first 5M in 30 mins, then alternate miles in 6’s and 5:45’s. It will be on the back of a 110+ mile week and I have a lingering cold which is hopefully on it’s last legs. If I complete the session I’ll be confident of running the above marathon times.
  • JEJ...see u at Paddockwood...will be a good field of M&M's (red vests , black band), I felt lousy today but hopefully pullit round for Sunday. I did a 2hr00min07 20 mile race recently so also looking for sub 2:40 at FLM. I reckon 6min/miles exactly is the way fwd at FLM.....
  • Euro - are you racing the HM or running a controled race?

I'd love to bash out a 74, which would be great for confidence but I know the advice is not to race all-out in a HM 3 weeks out. I guess I'll just have to be patient and target a HM in Autumn - who knows what form I'll be in by then?!
  • Looking for a 75/76min run...good effort but not 100% allout...I was then going to do Eyensford 10K week later but have just decided to go to Tenerife for a week of sun (hopefully)at the in-laws place with my kids. So some nice taper time relaxing rather than 10 hour days in the City.....I am number 945 I beleive...see u there
  • So, everything holding together?

Paddock Wood didn't happen for me (minor calf strain) but since then things have been going nicely.

I've planned a 4M tune up race on Good Friday, then a bit of jogging leading up to the big day.
  • Where's your 4 miler JEJ? Sounds like the sort of thing I would like to do.
  • Just got my sub 2 45 at Paris!!! Ran 2 43 06. Felt great - 10k 36, 10m 58, HM 78, 20m 2 01.
    Here's to sub 2 30 at London next year!!!
    Anyone know what happens now with regard to a championship place at London?
  • Well done Michael! I ran 2.49.34, a PB for me so I'm happy with that. Started to fade in the last 3-4 miles although I think that was where the course started to get hard anyway. Oh well, it was a good excuse to go to Paris, and turned out a good weekend.
  • Brilliant time CID!!! I'd raced Paris last year so I knew what was coming up after 22 miles, which made it slightly more bearable!! Lovely course though and a lovely day!! What were ur splits by the way?
  • Thanks Michael. Sorry for the delay but I just found useful info on Hard Running about fat burning/glycogen and have been trying to read through it. I tried taking them at 5K but missed some. I think this is how they worked out:
    5k - 20.37
    20k - 58.46 (1.19)
    25k - 19.15 (1.38)
    30k - 19.35 (1.58)
    35k - 19.47 (2.18)
    40k - 21.24 (2.39)
    42.2k - 10.12
    It doesn't look to bad when I put it down like this. Although if I had held a little back who knows.
    It was a good day and I thought the course was very good as well, the rise towards the end wasn't a real killer but it was quite in the park and just felt a drag after the roads. I really enjoyed it and would consider doning it again.
  • Well done Michael and CID.

Michael - do you think you could have gone much faster with more even pacing?

Huw - the 4M race is in Southport. Info on:
    http://www.southportwaterlooac.co.uk/
  • Micheal-Just follow instructions when you get next years entry forms with the Marathon News. Well done on the time.

Had a cold last week, trained hard over the weekend and its now come back again:(
  • Worth doing again CID. I did 2 54 there last year and knowing the course certainly helped me improve.
    James - It was easy to keep a steady pace up to around 16 miles but then I got an horrendous stitch which mean't I had to suck my stomach in and lean over! This obviously affected my pace and concentration. First 10 miles was 58 and considering the second 10 was 63, it was pretty even. My plan was to run 80 mins for first half and under 85 for second so a 78 and 85 was everything I could have hoped for. Glad I trusted the taper though cause 6 min miling pacing up 16 miles felt VERY relaxed.
  • Hello everyone,

A bit concerned....I have recently raced a

77min -half
    35min -10k

In a couple of recent training runs I ran at 6.00 / min mile pace, but felt really uneasy during and at the end of them.

I need to be averaging 6.15 min / miles for the 26.2 and I am not sure on recent performance that this is achieveable!

What to do?

Any advice?

• Badger-Nothing you can do about your fitness now, just make sure you taper properly. I did 2:43 at FLM2004 and pretty sure I hadn't broken 36 for 10km then. It might feel tough at the start but if you've done the training then just be confident and hold 6:15 from the start.
  • Badger - I experienced some very similar run's during my taper week - even coming off the back of of sub 35 min 10k on the previous sunday. All i can say is that by cutting right back and having the saturday off the 'race day magic' kicked in and I felt as comfortable as I've ever felt. I've learn't to never gauge my expected race performance on my last few training runs.
  • Badger

i agree with MTB and Michael Rix. Some of the last runs can play on your mind. They also put you under pressure, as race day is coming. This can cause high HR and cause anxiety!! Dont worry taper- then do the buisness - you know you can!!!

Good luck.

PS i am also suffering from this - not the first and wont be the last.
  • re: Championship entries for next year - look at the FLM website, you simply write a letter with a press cutting (official website result printout will be fine, although with that time you should make AW) and a photocopy of your passport, you receive a championship entry form by return post.

http://www.london-marathon.co.uk/site/entry_info/index.php?page=4
  • Hi MikeB, so do you reckon you're in shape to challenge 2:30 this year? I had a drink with Tim G a couple of weeks ago - he's up to walking 3 miles now, but hasn't run since September, so don't be expecting to pick him off in the last 10km this time round!

Michael Rix - not sure whether I'd call 58/63 'even pacing'! In fact if you put a 58min 10M time into a prediction calculator, it would probably suggest it alone is equivilent to a 2:42... shows you have a lot of strength to keep up a reasonable pace after that, and good potential to go well under 2:40 next time round.

I put in a mile at 6:05 pace in the middle of an 11M steady today - HR was 82 - 83% which is very promising - My threshold is 90 - 92%, so in theory should be able to average >87% over the distance. Not going to risk it though, but hopefully it means I can push a little harder in the later stages if I feel inclined to do so.
  • supppp, i just noticed this page and i fall into this category fellas. never ran a marathon b4 but ive got a club spot and wana chalk up a cheeky sub 2:40, that kinda time would satisfy me. 2day did a 10mile tempo in 55:42 which i was very happy with and was racin one of my team mates/training partners at the end aswe both wanted to win. im not going to ease down slightly and my final session will be 8x400m on Tues night with 200m jog rec in about 65secs, whats everyone else doing? see you on the start line
  • Rob, what is the total of your five longest runs?

JEJ - ask me at half way!