Sub 2:45 FLM 2006

Comments

• McTizzzle, if you've done the mileage you should be able to ease sub 2:40 with that 10M training time.

I did a similar session last Tuesday - 9 x 400m, starting in 70s, working down to low 60's, then 4 x 200 working down from 30 to 27s - although it's a shorter track session than I'm used to, it was a lot quicker than normal which may have contributed to giving me stiff calf muscles which I can still feel today.

With that in mind, I'm sticking to jogging between now and then, with the odd mile or two at marathon pace. It will looks someting like:

S: 10
    M: 8
    T: 5
    W: 3
    T: 4
    F: 2
    S: 2
    S: 26.2
  • JEJ, what's your view on depletion?

I know it's not in fashion as much as it was any more, but I've always found it works, so will probably go with it again.
  • Big talk McTizzzle. There's quite a few people on here who claim to do amazing times in training and then just don't seem to produce the goods in a race. Mmm wonder why?
  • MikeB, JEJ, and all others in excellent shape. You probably don't know me (I'm a newbie here and was pointed to you by BR, who I'm pleased to know from another board), but I'll be more than happy to contact some of you, who are going for 2:30 (and even a bit under). Although, looking at your training I can't imagine running at your pace (I don't see myself running 400 in 70s or less or 2k in 6:10). Anyway, if you are arranging some group for this pace I'll be more than happy to join you.

Best regards
    See you on the start line.
    Marcel

MikeB, I'm doing the carbo-depletion diet, too (it worked excellent for me in last three marathons)
  • MikeB, I've never tried it in the past so now's probably not a good time. Remember the text books for GCSE sports studies in the mid 90's were already saying that the depletion phase wasn't necessary, and most books I've read on the topic concur.

Those who back the idea seem to be today's coaches who ran marathons in the 70's and 80's when depletion / loading was the norm. It seemed to work well for them (and short of John Brown, you don't see many people running their sort of times), hence they pass on the theory to the likes of us. Trouble is, you'll never really know if a good or bad race is down to diet as there are so many other factors involved.

I guess the depletion phase could make you more vunerable to picking up a virus, which is a risk I'd rather avoid, especially with a London commute and working in a big office - the elites will often spend the last week in isolation.

Hi Marcel, I'm nowhere near 2:30 shape this time round. I'm quite new to running and last year I only managed 3:13, so my target is sub 2:40 this time round - I'm 25yrs so plenty of time to train towards a 2:30 in the future.

Don't worry about the 60s laps I'm running! I seem to have decent leg speed and my body may naturally be more inclined to middle distance. Most of my track work is around 5km pace with shorter recoveries, but the London marathon plan I've been following encourages faster reps with longer recoveries in the final few weeks to encourage your body to come into peak racing condition. If you're interested, the schedule is here:
    http://www.209events.com/file/53.doc

Anyhow, sun's coming out so must go and run. I'm going to put in 3 x 1 mile around the same loop - first at 83%, then 84% and 85% of max HR to see what pace they produce. I've found it a struggle to hit MP in training previously, but now with the reduced volume it's not at all daunting :)
  • Marcel - If you've got a AAAs start you're welcome to find me in the tent. My race plan is likely to be something like this.
    Miles 1 and 2 - 5:55 - 5:50 (slightly uphill).
    Mile 3 5:35 or quicker (very steep downhill)
    Mile 4 onwards 5:43 to take me through halfway in just under 75:00. Will assess the situation from there and decide whether I stick or twist.....
  • MikeB, this plan suits perfect to mine. And more over - since this will be my first FLM it will be of great benefit for me to run with more experienced runners like you. It will be my pleasure to meet you in the tent (my bib number is 780).

JEJ, thank you for the training program It looks interesting at first glance (I'll read it in depth later). And you are right about your progression - with your (speed) potential and with a proper training, you could go far beyond 2:30. Just be patient. (btw, my first 'thon was 3:23)
  • hello, been lurking for a while now.

Just wanted to wish you all good luck for Sunday.

And especially to Dibley, who I have been coaching for just over a year.

P.B's all round!

Rushy
  • Hi guys,

I am looking for < 2.45 (pb 2.46 without tapering) and am worrying about this week's training. What is everybody doing in the last week?

I seem to run better (e.g. 2.00 in Ashby 20 this year) if I don't taper too much. Last year I tapered my running in the hope of gaining an advantage and managed to blow up at 17 miles only managing 2.52.

What are the views?
  • Should I do a steady 45mins run tonight, or cange it to 3x1mile reps? Was going to do a steady 50mins tomorrow, circuit raining Htursday and 30mins steady on Friday. Saturday will be spent walking round the Expo.
  • MTB - that's a lot more than I'm planning to do. I'm doing 5 miles steady tonight with 10 x strides, then 5 slow tomorrow, 4 slow on Thursday and that's it!

My preference of your two sessions for tonight would be 3 x 1 mile reps, but give yourself full recoveries.
  • I'm doing the P&D taper so:
    5mi and 4mi recovery today
    8mi with 2mi at MP tomorrow - although pre-dublin I ran the whole 8 at MP, so I'll probably do the same
    6mi recovery
    5mi recovery with 6x100m strides
    4mi recovery
    26.2mi

Probably won't post again so good luck to you all. Can't wait for the post-mortems o Monday!
  • Hi all.

I'm hoping to get 2-46/45ish after doing 2-47 in 2004. Watched last year.

My week will be:

M 7
    T 6
    W 5
    Then nothing at all apart from massage.

It's worked in the past and hope it works again.

Good luck everyone.
  • Maybe I'll skip circuits this week. Will probably swim tomorrow morning and Thursday morning too.
  • I may have to skip Thursday due to work, so:

Tues: 7 off road
    Weds: 7 off road
    Thurs: Off
    Fri: 6 road
    Sat: Recovery
    Sun: 26.2...
  • Interesting debate on tapers/final week. My second fastest marathon (2:38) came after:
    M 18m in 2:03
    T 3m jog
    W 9m with 6@MP (6min/mile)
    T rest
    F rest
    S 4m jog

I think the trend nowadays is to taper more gradually. Not sure which works best for me.
  • JEJ....I am going for bang on 6min miles after a 2hr 20m race 6 weeks ago....wot start are u going from ? also I work in London , running away from people coughing n spluttering on the train ans in the office !
  • Hi Euro, I'm at the green start this year.

Currently feel like my legs are falling off and not running well at the moment, so a bit low on confidence right now. I'm likely to go off just outside of 6 min pace, speed up down the hill and make a call based on HR and other environmental factors after 4 or 5 miles.

Re the taper, I started cutting down on volume 2 weeks ago, but have increased the intensity of some sessions, including near middle-distance style track sessions. Thinking of taking complete rest for a day or 2, but I've done without for 170 days / 308 sessions so don't really see much benefit.
  • JEJ-Have a Friday and Saturday off!
  • Hi all,
    Not sure what to plan for this year. All was going well - minute quicker than last year at the 12 stage relays and a good run at the silverstone half but just had 3 weeks in japan with the inlaws which disrupted the training somewhat. Ran 8 today and it felt like I was running with lead boots(prob the effects of jet lag but not great for confidence). Would like to go for sub 2.30 again one year(now 44 so don't want to wait too long)but realisticaly 2.35 will be the best I can hope for so will prob pace it for around that.
    As for tapering
    Nothing yesterday as in plane all day
    8 today
    6 rec wed
    6 Thursday with 8 x 100m strides
    5 Fri
    Sat rest.

Never tried depletion diet so will just load as usual.
    Good luck all
    See some of you in the AAA tent.
  • JEJ - mmmm me too.
    Had good run yesterday am, then pants run last night, came home and cried....what a wally!
    Positivity is the key, so I ahve given myself a good kick up the bum today. Did a 5 mile run this eve with 15 mins at M.R.P (6m/m), which felt better that expected, still not spectacular!
    I am now debating about the rest of the week, had planned

W- 30 am /30 pm
    T- rest am/2 x 1km pm with w/up and c/down
    F- rest
    S- rest or 20 min easy
    S- 26.2 m

have done
    M- 30 am/30 pm
    T- rest am/ 5m with 15 min M.R.P

Guess it really doesnt make any difference if i sit on my bum for the rest of the week?
    Dibsx
  • Good luck Rundown! I'll look out for the stripes at Mudchute- just after the Kenyans as usual, I assume! :)
  • JEJ....see u at green start also (after 2.47 and 2.47 last 2 yrs).....red vest black stripe across chest....it's ok to start there ...not too crowded...i ran 2.42 from there in 2003...I also feel bit lethargic but staying positive in head !!!
  • Hi Dibs, how did the HM go?

I reckon Mara Y will have a great run (hopefully top 5 finish) but looks like you should have a great race against some other Brit ladies! Do you get a special 'number' with 'Dibs' on it?

I convinced myself that I woke up with a sore throat this morning, but it seems to have gone away, only to be replaced by phsyhcologica ear ache - the worst kind.

At least my legs are feeling a bit stronger, but still slight calf issues - it's put me off wearing flats for the race, although still about 345600 seconds to change my mind!

I fancy putting in a mile or two at MP tonight to convince my myself that I can run that fast - I keep reminding myself that my goal is to beat my September 10km pb (and for that matter my May 5km pb) 4.2 times in a row.

Also decided to leave the HRM at home for the race. If Tergat and Gebreselassie can live without, then I guess I can manage too. I know there are others out there not as well trained who'll be setting off a lot quicker than me, so keeping faith in the crazy mileage I've covered over the winter to get me through. Worked out that I've averaged 12.6 miles per day since my last rest day on 03/11.
  • JEJ - that is some crazy mileage!

70 miles per week has been my top (I guess that is 10 miles per day!)

Good luck to you all!

I will be wearing the black and white stripes of Leicester Owls.
  • I'm also at the green start. Will be wearing blue Nike shorts and a white Mizuno vest (terrible I know - I shouldn't mix my sponsors). I'm number 30021. I hope to see some of you there.
  • Things to remember in race week:
    - To think you're coming down with a cold
    - To think your legs feel lowsy - they're not used to this training level
    - To change your mind about what to eat/drink every few moments before remembering that tried and tested is best
    - To panic that you've not done enough training
    - To then remember it's too late to worry about it anyway
    - Change your mind about race day shoes.
    - Travel with three pairs 'just in case'
    - Set the video for the race
    - Go back and set it for the right channel
  • I'm also at the Green start.

Give me a shout if you see me labouring at 22 miles...
  • Hi Moomoo, thanks though not sure about just after the Kenyans!
    Picked up my number this morning, shook hands with Haile Gebrselassie who was there signing his book and found myself on the front of the final instructions(blue sunglasses - black and white strippy shirt) and got a few shoe and clothes bargains (Asics 1100s for £30).
    JEJ - think you've run nearly double my mileage
  • just a quick visit
    RD- if you ask them nicely, they might let you pass? :D No?
    Wow! You met the great Haile! A few people on another thread mentioned meeting him. I'll be looking out for shoe bargains myself.