Sub 2:45 FLM 2006

Comments

• Hey everyone,

Saw a physio yesterday about the ITB, he's told me to do a set of stretches, plus some exercise to strengthen the glutes and abdominals to try to prevent it happening again. No running for a week I think, but cycling and swimming seem ok. So I did an hour on the turbo last night (actually quite enjoyed it, mostly due to a good choice of music!) and plan the same for tonight. Hopefully that will at least maintain my fitness level.

Very depressing though, I had a big target race in two weekends time (Garden City 10), now not sure if I'll be able to do it.
  • venom / Barnsley runner,
    what are your times for 5 miles, 10k and 10 miles?
  • Nigel...

5 miles - 27:21
    10k - 33:41
    10 miles - 57:52
    HM - 73:41 (went through 10 miles in 56:01)

5 and 10 miles still due for revision downwards.
  • I'll be one of the slower ones here...

5k - 17:38
    5m - not done one
    10k - 36:22
    10m - 64:29 (almost 2 years old!)
    HM - 1:21:44
    M - 2:58:10

Fitness has improved hugely in the last few months, so I should already be at a level where I could improve all of those quite significantly. I was feeling fairly confident of breaking 60 mins at the Garden City 10, but as I said, that's not looking too likely now...
  • Venom, Barnsley runner,
    well done to both of you, you obviously train hard. Barnsley runner, yr times ar very impressive, are both of your times still, improving? and what are yr ages?
    hope you dont mind me asking!
  • NJ - I'm 35 and run all those times this year. I'm still hoping to take a bit off the 10k and HM times in the next couple of months.
  • ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    5K - 17:21 (2005)
    5 miles - not done
    10k - 37:21 (2004)
    10m - 1:00:40 (2004)
    13.1m - 1:21:52 (2005)
    26.2m - 2:53:05 (2005)

Possibly a slightly underwhelming set of results for a sub-2:45 wannabee, but I think the 5K and FLM result this year bode well, plus I have noticed an 15-30 sec/mile improvement in my steady paces since then as well. Will have to wait and see how the Cardiff Half goes plus I may do our september monthly club 5k in 3 weeks. Not sure if a sub-17 is on the cards yet as have done so little speed work.

What sort of results are you looking at, nigel?
  • Sounds like I'm in a very similar position to you, Chaos (although you've got a bit of an edge on me). I've also seen a big improvement in my training paces (i.e. faster runs at lower HRs), but haven't really translated that into race results yet.

What are you aiming for at Cardiff?
  • Is this a general invite to post times? I'll assume so for now 8o)

5K - 16"38 (or was it 16"48? I'm not sure!)
    5 miles - Not done
    10K - 35"00
    10 miles - 58"33 (but that was in december)
    Half - 1'21"33 (on injury comeback)
    Marathon - 2'58"33 (but you know that story already!)

The half marathon time is definitely up for improvement in about ten days time (although I'd best not count my chicken before they've hatched 8o) )

Looks like we've all got some work to do!

8o)
  • thats a good base of times for us all then Lets see if we can all get those times down during latter part of this year and give a good base for marathon training .We can make comparisons over the next few months to monitor progress
  • Nigel - Once I get my two halfs done in the autumn I'm not planning to race much for the rest of the year. I'll maybe do some cross country (because I enjoy it) and there's a 10 miler in November that I did last year (so that'll be good for comparison). To be honest though, what I think I need is to get some proper training done, without the distraction of tapering and recovering from races.

I know that this means that in the spring I will be a bit unsure of what I'm capable of, but there will be plenty of races in February and March which I can sharpen up with.

How much are you all planning to race?
  • are those my feet?
    not goint to race much , probably 2 x 10 mile races, a good quality half and a 10k....bit different for me as i hate cross country! so i wont be doing any of that muddy stuff! But i would like to get my half marathon time down from 1.17 ( 12 months ago to around 1.15 ... but hey, talk is cheap but that is one of my aims. Also to try and get my 10 mile time down from 56.38 to 55. 40 ish....we shall see.
  • ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    Similar plans to you really with an Autumn half, the odd low-key club 5k or non-competitive XC race during the winter and then a break until a couple of Feb/March 10k-1/2M races to assess pace/capability/etc.

venom - I'm planning to hit 6m/m pace by the end of the first mile and then see if I can hold it throughout. So just under 1:19 with luck.
  • Plan here is GNR then 2 x fast 10ks in Nov / Dec.

Then one HM,10k and 10 miler in Jan / Feb.

Maybe an odd XC race.
  • Quite pleased this morning,
    managed to p.b. in the wroxham 5k last night in a time of 16.11...previous best was 16.28, set in May.
  • ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    wow! nice one, that's a big improvement. Anything in particular that helped achieve it?
  • Well in the last few weeks i have increased my hill repetition work and done a few more track sessions to increase leg speed, other than that nothing new! maybe it was a fluke!
  • Congrats, Nigel.

Off to the physio again in a couple of hours - not exactly sure what will have changed since Tuesday (except I'll be another £50 lighter of course). I've been doing the stretches and strengthening exercises every night, but not sure that much improvement will be obvious in just three days?

The most important question though is will I be able to run this weekend? Haven't had a proper run in over two weeks now, and it's doing my head in!
  • Well done Nigel. You're about 30 secs quicker than me over 5k. Promises well for a sub 2:45 marathon!

Venom - I know how I would feel...

• What kind of 10k time should you be expected to have to get a sub 2:45 marathon?

Any thoughts..

Never run a 5k
    (10k - 36min03sec)
    (Marathon 2hr54min)

• I'd think you'd need to be sub 35 if you have good natural endurance and even lower if you don't. I'm sub 34 with a 2:42 time.

One guy I know who has a 100k GB vest runs about 35:30 for 10k but 2:37 for a marathon. The longer it is the better he gets. I beat him over 10k and HM but he has me in the marathon.
  • Hi all

My last 4 marathons have been:

FLM 2004 - 2.47
    FLM 2003 - 2.51
    FLM 2002 - 2.48
    FLM 2000 - 2.49

All bar 2004 have been on 50/60 miles a week starting at Christmas.. 2004 I increased it to 80 miles for 3 weeks and it paid of in the fact that I did a pb and negative split. The first time i had ever achieved this feat.

My half marathon time is 1-22
    10k is 36-36. These are over the last two years.

They were lower years ago but than I was younger!!

This time I have started training already and will gradually build up the mileage.
    My warm up races will be.

Worksop 1/2
    x-c season including the National
    Turkey Trot 1/2 Keyworth.
    Stafford 1/2
    Ashby 20.

I know I need to improve over 10k to half but it is proving difficult.

I do some speed work as follows

10 x 1k at 3-50 pace with 3 min recovery.
    fartlek over 6 - 8 mile route.
    Sometimes do a hilly parkland route with strides.

Any help or advice greatly appreciated as I would love to break 2-45 or get very close!

• I think when you're talking sub 2:45 we're all very individual in what we need to do.

For example tigerrunner's marathon times are much better in comparison to his 10k time than other people.

Some people (like him) need to work on getting the 10k time down. Others (like Nigel seems to be at the moment) have excellent speed and need to match this with endurance.

Also there's the factors of what time you have available and what sort of training programme suits you physically and psychologically. I'm a believer in the Lydiard / Hadd approach for me as I like to run every day and need to feel like I'm making progress all the time.

Others are happy to run hard when they run and then look forward to a deserved rest day.

Tigerrunner - what appears to be missing from you programme are tempo runs. At the moment I'm focussing on 10k and HM goals and the 2 key runs for me are 6 to 10 miles at aerobic threshold effort (around marathon pace) and up to 6 miles (with recoveries to flush out lactic acid) at HM pace.

I think your 1k reps are quite slow and have too long a recovery to be of optimum benefit. They're slower than your 10k pace. How about upping the pace a little?
  • BR.

Your spot on with what time people have available and what sort of training programme suits them.

I find that I need to have a days rest once a week, also I usually work shifts and that does not help.

I know I need to get my 10k times down and will concentrate on quicker 1k reps.

Tempo runs i enjoy but have not started doing them yet as I wanted to do some base training first. Have not done a race since March (Staffoed 1/2) and ran it in just over 1-22. Off about 30 miles a week.

The other night I ran a club 10k in 37-56 which was comfortable running and i know i could have gone quicker.

All in all i need to do sharper speed work and the tempo runs at marathon pace (which reminds me must get my hrm fixed!)

BR thanks for the advice...might see you later on at the National again?

Go on holiday for 2 weeks on Sunday so will post when I get back.
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Just registering an interest in your activities. Currently not sure about my marathon ambitions due to ongoing injury and lack of the necessary GFA. However I always find this thread interesting and motivating.

Definately some talent on this thread. I know its not your view Nigel, but I do think that you need to train consistantly at 70+ miles a week to run a fast marathon - but obviously different approaches......
  • BR - (and anyone else who cares to answer) I have two questions!

1) You mentioned earlier that "at the moment I'm focussing on 10k and HM goals and the 2 key runs for me are 6 to 10 miles at aerobic threshold effort (around marathon pace) and up to 6 miles (with recoveries to flush out lactic acid) at HM pace." I'm trying to put this in the context of a Hadd-like training program. Would these sort of threshold efforts come during the 'toothpaste squeezing' or only after that phase has been completed?

2) This one is slightly more personal: Am I right in thinking that you sometimes use Imodium before a long race? What is the recommended dose?

Cheers
    8o)
  • Dave

1. Yes, this is after the toothpaste squeezing phase (Phase I). You then go on to Phase 2s which is the faster stuff aimed at reducing 10k times. Then comes Phase 2b where you go back to marathon work with more speed in your legs.

2. Before a marathon I used to have 2 capsules. However a Hadd-like type coach strongly advised against it for my last marathon along the lines of it interfering with your natural internal processes telling me if I needed to go, do it in your shorts and carry on racing...
  • My experience on pit-stops - if i may

London 2004 - i needed to go at 10 miles, nipped into a portaloo and 30 seconds later was back on course. I then made a small mistake by thinking "I liked the group I was running with before, lets get back there" and paid the price I think, slowing a bit later on.

London 2005 - I took advice from Pantman (I have them written down, but not here so can't be 100% sure so ask him) but it was something like no carbs in the last three hours, but drink water until 45 mins before, then a little water just before the off. I don't know how it worked but it did!
  • Update from the physio: apparently I've got some serious weaknesses is some of the supporting muscles around my legs, which pretty much meant that an injury was waiting to happen. I've got exercises to do which involve laying on the floor on my side and raising my leg up - I can manage about 12 to 14 of them, he says I need to be able to do 50! Some serious work required there I think.

Good news is I'm allowed to go for a run today, as long as I keep it short and stop at the very first sign of any pain. Here's hoping...