Options

Sub 2:45 FLM 2006

Comments

• Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Bryn - the Big Picture, arghhhhhhh!!!!!!!!! I really must learn to keep my big mouth shut.

If I'm within 5mins of you at the finish, that gonna be cause for celebration. By the time you give me a big cheer, you'll be showered and changed! What are your racing plans over the next couple of months.
  • Options
    Bryn, Will you be at Uni by London 2007? Or how about a gap year? That should be my last BUSA champs, after first becoming BUSA qualified in 98................ unless I do a part time PhD.

Speaking of Bishops Stortford I won it in 2003 (after a 10 mile warm up - great marathon session) so maybe I should join the party. (Pencils 20th of November into the diary)
  • Options
    2007 will be my first year at Uni, I was talking about going for it thinking you'd have left and it'd be your ex-title! You'll be far too quick for me by then, but I reckon come my second or third year if I'm stlil running I'd have a chance.

Tom- I know, I won't tease you anymore! you lot seemed to be having a lot of fun though!

Hope to see both of you at Stortford 10 then!

Racing plans are :- this weekend SEAA relays, Saffron Walden 10k then maybe a fun run of 4 miles in the afternoon. after that I'm not sure, I've just been given my XC fixture list so I'll try and work out my training/racing till christmas over this weekend.
  • Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    MikeB you can't run at Stotford you're not old enough (incorporates Vets Champs), and as for you Bryn, you young wippersnaper....

Anyway Bryn, I blame you. You're the one who told me to set myself a target - now your all queuing up to p*ss on my bonfire:-))
  • Options
    lol, yep definitely! well you've still got the faster personal and season best ( you went sub 60 enroute to your HM PB right?) so it'll be an uphill struggle for me. Looking forward to it now, getinig to meet all the forumites I wanted to now! The IEK chaps tommorow (hopefully including MikeG) and then you at the Stortford 10.

MikeB- still can't quite believe you're in the c team for AFD, you almost had our probably fastest runner over 3k so what it'll be like over 6k :S.
  • Options
    "Uni? ... eek, that was half a lifetime ago" says the Vet wannabe (3 months today and counting)...

... perhaps I should look out a more mature forum ;-)
  • Options
    Hi all. Been lurking here mainly since I'm not doing FLM and like others from last years thread my fitness has taken a turn for the worst- 2:45 was always ambitious but now its a pipedream.

Despite this I am doing the Cardiff Marathon in 2 weeks- Will be very happy with sub 3- not a foregone conclusion by any means.

Good to hear from you Ny and Tom- Good luck with the Comrades Ny (rather you than me!) and with your recovery Tom.
  • Options
    GFA form arrived today - completed but waiting to see if I go sub-2:45 at Abingdon before I send it back ...
  • Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    BS, good to hear from you. Good luck with Cardiff.
  • Options
    May be of interest for any that followed lasts years thread...

Had a cheeky look at the results for the Berlin Marathon- Dibs ran 2:46:49- well done to her.
  • Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    BS - thats a great run, she really is a talented individual and really hard trainer. I don't think I've ever come across anyone who's marathon time is so close to double there HM pb.
  • Options
    That's a great result for her, she must be very pleased. Respect.
  • Options
    managed to win the tarpley 10 miles in Bury yesterday. Time was 56.41, not a bad time on an undulating course. Reasonably pleased with time and hopefully this augurs well for a sub 2.45? who knows.
  • Options
    You should be fine for 2:45 nj. I haven't run a 10 for ages (at least nothing remotely flat) but I get to 10 in a decent half in 57-58 minutes. Ran last FLM in 2:43. If you're only 'reasonably pleased' with that 10 time you'll be well in front of me next April!
  • Options
    dave jf very impressed with your 2.43 , i was just looking for a sub 56, but i guess that was a little ambititous! what are yr 10k and half marathon times?
  • Options
    Half pb is 1:14:30 earlier this year, but more usually around 1:16 or so. 10k pb is 1:34:40, a year ago, but generally around the 1:35 mark.

I'd like to get more even in my marathons - this year's time was made up of 1:19 & 1:24 halves (near enough) which is more of a positive split than I'd like. Mind you, there were plenty of people suffering more than I was in the last 10k, and I was well inside my 2:45 target so I could afford to take it steady and not panic when it got really tough. Taking it just a little slower in the first half might have got me a bit closer to 2:40 by the end, but who knows?
  • Options
    Hey everyone,

Having been posting for a while - 6 weeks of pretty much no running due to ITBS, it's absolutely doing my head in! Can't run over about 1.5 miles before the knee starts to hurt, been stretching it lots but it's not seeming to help. The one good thing is that I've been doing lots of cycling and that's improving fast.

I'm out on holiday in Club la Santa at the moment, getting plenty of swimming and cycling in (despite the excessive windyness!) and improving my tan significantly - lots of fun.

Hopefully will be back running soon, but not really seeing how that's going to happen any time soon. 2:45 isn't looking too close right now...
  • Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Venom, sorry to hear that its not going to plan at the moment. Stick with the cross training, it really does make a difference (as I know to my cost). I know that for all active athletes injury is real downer, but you will get over it, and you've already demonstrated that you have the talent to run quickly.

All the best for a speedy recovery

Tom
  • Options
    Did 2:43 in 2004. Bottled it this year when illness cocked my training up in the last few weeks. Really hoping to pb at FLM next year.
  • Options
    Just wanted to pop in and say hello.. I've just ran a 2:58 in Berlin and have sent off my entry for FLM06 - I've only been running for under 11 months so hoping that with 50% more training time, I may be able to get around or below 2:50.

It's actually a bit scary for me looking at your race times for shorter distances. I'm confident about getting my 5k down to sub 17 within a few months, but a sub 57 10 miler seems a million miles away right now.

I'm aiming to put in 80+ mile weeks over the winter, racing cross country and putting in a tough VO2max track session every week. Then more speed, plus 5 x 25mile runs before FLM. Lots easier to type than do!

Sorry to hear about the ITBS Venom - hopefully the swimming & cycling will mean that you don't lose too much running pace.
  • Options
    Hi everyone - have been lurking and havent posted for ages.

Berlin went really well, pleased with pacing, and only lost 1 min in second half, which i know is my strong point - i feel i have a lot left in the tank, basically was going to pull out of berlin 4 weeks ago, had been suffering with hip problem and just couldnt train properly -lots of x training and physio. Was really down in the dumps, then got a virus and ended up in hospital for weekend then no training for 1 week and drugs for 2!! Pretty sh*t! Then turned a corner baout 4 weeks ago, put some quality in and hoped that I could use some of my FLM fitness to get me through. Originally wanted 2.42 before all the injury, so was pleased to get a p.b after all the above.
    Taking 2 weeks easy, then 8 week prep for Singapore marathon (got G.B selection!!). Three marathons this year, not ideal, but couldnt say no could I !!!
    Rest well over xmas, then FLM build up - gonna have a stab at 2.38 ish, need to pull my finger out of my arse and get a good half and 10k time, as they are pretty appauling. Dibsx
  • Options
    ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    Good luck venom - just sent you an email from some Alexander Technique teacher who is doing some running technique classes. I think Spans did one of them and found it useful - didn't she have a similar hip problem to you some time ago?

JEJ - When I saw your planned 5x25milers I was thinking WOW - what is he on? But thinking about it - that's a 3 hour run at 7:12m/m pace or so which is 45 seconds or so slower than 2:45 marathon pace so I guess it equates to a good-to-fast steady (on a windless flat route)? fwiw my sub-17 was done mostly off steady mileage with just one deliberate speed-work session and also a couple of fell runs which involved high speed descents and therefore very high leg turnover speed.

Dibs - reassuring that the x-training kept a lot of your fitness. What did it involve?
  • Options
    Is anyone starting a structured training plan targetted at FLM yet?
    After Cardiff mara a week Sunday I will start planning my FLM training.
    I think X training has really helped my running in the last 6-12 months, allowing me to train aerobaically all week without destroying my legs. Also means a higher percentage of my running can be quality sessions rather than just base mileage.
    Hoping to do a lot of shorter races during the winter, including some fell races, to get some speed in my legs and maybe do a couple of half maras after Xmas.
    I'll probably go over marathon distance once, or maybe twice, towards the end of the winter.
  • Options
    Well done on the GB vest Dibs!

MtB, I've gotta plan for FLM. Working different HR zones from 160-165 up to 180-183. Small number of build up races - 3 main ones and maybe a couple of low key fun ones.

First session today, so onwards and upwards.
  • Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    BR, I think you need a different approach. Throw away the HRM, run more of your sessions at the higher end of the LT range of 70-88% of MRH.

Oh yes and bin the hills, as they only upset your training partners :-))
  • Options
    To do that I need to show I can hit the harder sessions at the top end without much HR drift or slowing of pace. In the past that has meant every other day being 70%. However I may try seeing if an improved diet and sleep patterns (he says posting at 11.05) means I can sustain slightly higher HRs on a couple of other days.

I did feel very very fit when training at a variety of HRs in this range in the winter of 2003/4.
  • Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    P*sstaking apart, I do need to be convinced that the emphasis on cardiac drift is relevant to efficient LT training - I think a new thread calls.
  • Options
    Chaos- x training basically involved 1.5-2hrs a day of eliptical trainer and bike. Suppose to do aqua jogging, but cant stand it, drives me stir crazy and im not a strong swimmer, so stuck to the gym. The only problem with x-training is getting my heart rate high enough, whilst trying not to crank the resistance up so high that i cant move my legs. So tried to do fartlek type work on the x trainer.
    Anyway hopefully wont need to do too much of that soon!
    Thinking of entering Stroud half in 3 weeks, anyone done it? Looks a very fast course and local, or it will be the cumbrian half. Feel I should be in shape for a p.b, all being well. Dibsx
  • Options
    Dibley - stroud is fastish. I guess I was spoilt by my two fastest ever HM races being the Hague CPC which is pancake flat.

Stroud has one drag, up the main A38 between about miles 8 and 9. This is where I pressed the self distruct button in 2003 (still ran 1:40 quicker than I managed at Bristol today though!)

Normally a good field, well organised etc so worth a go.
  • Options
    Well you beat me yesterday Mike (at least that looks like an AFD vest in your photo). I was in a group with Liz Yelling for a few miles, but it was a litle quick for me and I dropped back at around 5 miles. Finished in 1:15:46, a minute down on my pb but those little hills and the cobbles in the last 2 miles put paid to any lingering thoughts of getting close to 75 minutes.