Sub 2:45 FLM 2006

Comments

• BR-Do you do any Xtraining or is it just all running? Also be interested to hear what your target races are too.
  • Hi peeps!

Just touching base again after the Bristol Half yesterday. I managed 1'17"31 which was a pb by nearly three minutes.

I hope that this should stand me in good stead for a 2'45" attempt in the spring, so long as I get a decent amount of training done in the winter. Just to add fuel to the training methods debate, I'm going to give Hadd a go and see how far it gets me. Not that I'd want to be dogmatic about it, you understand 8o). So that will mean I'll be starting my work sessions at about 80% and trying to sort the cardiac drift out.

Bye for now
    8o)
  • Hey everyone,

Back from Club la Santa now, had a cracking week. Only ran once, 4.4k at the end of the mini-triathlon (they do two a week) which went well, finished 2nd with the 2nd best run and bike times overall (poor swim though, as ever). ITB only hurt a little then, although running fast is meant to be better for it than running slow.

Chaos, cheers for the email, I might do that. I got the book Art of Running with the Alexander Technique a while ago - is that the same people do you know? Have to admit I haven't read it yet though...
  • MtB - I do no x-training at all. I do some press ups and sit ups every other day for core stability but no x-training aerobic work.

Target races are...

Leeds Abbey Dash 10k (27th Nov)

Brass Monkey HM or Dewsbury 10k (late Jan / early Feb)

Snake Lane 10 - end of Feb.

Coach is not too keen on people running HMs in marathon training as if you take the week spent tapering and the 2 weeks spent fully recovering from an all out effort that's 3 weeks training you've missed for the sake of one run. Hence the either / or.

Apart from that one XC relay and maybe one `fun' race around Xmas time.
  • ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

Only 6 days to go till Cardiff half so the main priority at the moment is to detox after last weekends stag bash (not mine!). I'm wondering what sessions to do this week - perhaps a bit of half-marathon pace practice at the track session on Wednesday to get my legs remembering what it feels like? Would a few 400s be enough or something a bit longer? Otherwise I was just going to do an hour tonight and then 30-40 minutes or so on Thursday and Saturday to keep things loose.
  • BR-So no races above 10 miles. I take it you'll be doing plenty of long steady runs though. What will be your longest run and highest mileage week?
    The last three yesrs I have done a hilly 20 mile race 4 weeks before FLM. I think this year I'll look for a half mara instead. I'm pretty sure I'll do a 30 or 35mile race early in the new year too.
  • MtB - yes I intend to enter 2 HMs and a 20 mile race but do them at marathon pace or just slower.

Longest run probably 20 miles. Highest mileage probably 100. I found 85-90mpw optimal last year but will see if I can handle a little more this year without getting run down. If not fine and back to 90mpw. If I can then great!

Because of the type of training you do your marathon pb is far stronger than your 5k and 10k. I'm the opposite so need to focus on marathon paced runs.
  • can anybody explain to me where i can find Hadds marathon schedule advice? its a new one to me and i see many people seem to have a lot of faith in this on this forum,
    thanks in advance for advice.
  • ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    nigel - do a search for Hadd on this page

http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=308471

It also might be worth wading through the current "Cardiac Drift" thread on the Training forum where there is some very useful debate and Hadd/LSD myth-deconstruction going on.
  • Does anyone know how official the 75min HM qualification time is for 2006? How old is the HM allowed to be; I did a 73 last November.

I have not bothered to enter yet under GFA (Clarendon 2:50, off road and over hills, the was the only full I have done since FLM in 2003 2:39) so I cold panic and send in an entry today but would rather get onto the Championship line.

Any advice appreciated.
  • ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    I'd call them asap on 020 7902 0200. You do eventually get through to a human and they seem very helpful. I've just called them myself as my GFA form hasn't arrived yet :-(
  • You are a star. I have just called them and been told that my 73min in 2004 counts and therefore I have a Championship entry.

The HM time follows the same rules as the full qualification time i.e. any HM time in the last 2 years under 75min.

I can relax and enjoy my next half rather than worrying about hitting a target.
  • Did they say why they don't publicise the HM qualification time Vamps?
  • I did not ask. I guess as it is only for the Championship they do not want GFA wanting to know if there is an equivalent for that entry system.

Given the small numbers of starters at the top end of the field I would have thought they would be very keen to get as many as possible. The HM 75min target is far easier to fit into the racing schedule than having to go to all the hassle of getting a qualifying full time.

They are not exactly helping UK athletics by keeping it secret.
  • On the other hand, I'd suggest that a 1'15 half is a better performance than a 2'45 marathon so perhaps fewer people would be able to qualify for the championship start by that route. Maybe?
  • Did they say what time was for a woman for a half Vamps?
  • Sorry but I did not ask. Were they to use the same proportionate method as for the men (twice HM time and add 10%; 75*2*1.1=165 = 2:45) then the womens time would be 88 (3:15 = 195 / 1.1 / 2 gives 88.6 which is 1:28:36). So they may use 87.5 or 90 or 85. but I am only guessing!
  • Thanks Vamps, have had to drop out of Cardiff, so may try the same route into London as haven't a time since 2000.
  • The rankings at the British Milers Club show a total of 522 runners with a HM <75 min in 2004 (last complete year) and 315 <2:45 for a marathon.

Of course, some of those 522 will have a GFA time and will enter by that route, but there must be more than a few that miss out altogether simply because they haven't run a marathon within 2 years.

That's assuming that they actually want to do one. I know of at least one person in that list who has no intention of running a beyond a half for a few years yet (he's in his early 20s).
  • How's everyone's training going?

I've put in 90 miles last week and 95 this week. 3 sessions of long reps @ 6m/m, one faster session and the rest 7:30 to 8m/m pace. Feeling tired but getting stronger. One more hard week to go then a `down' week on holiday.
  • I've spent this week drinking beer and recovering from the Cardiff Marathon! Mileage so far: Zero. Have a 10k race tomorrow though.
  • I got a bit sick after bristol marathon and spent the second half of this week building my mileage back up. The HR is high but that always happens for the first few days after a lay off. Soon I'll be clicking along at sub 7:00 pace keeping the HR sub 140 (63%WHR), but I need patience.

Will probably not get up to full volume until november now, and the XC relays seem doubtfull, but will just take things as they come.

Has anyone received their AAAs entry form yet? I sent my application a good 6 weeks ago but haven't heard back yet.
  • Hello all,

My 1st post now I am in Aus. After settling in getting back into the swing of things. Running about 60m per week. Minimal speedwork and one Kenyan Hill session per week.

Enter races regularly and use them as training runs. Did a 1/2 marathon in 1.14.57 today at 167 bpm. This is about 5-7 beats above what I can sustain in a marathon. Spring marathon or Autumn down here looks like being Canberra.

Looking forward to my birthday in 3 weeks when it is the big 40.

What mileage are you on Mike?
  • Not sent my AAAs application off yet.

What are Kenyan hills?
  • Kenyan Hills - Run up a hill 1.45-2.00 mins long no faster than threshold place, then stride down briskly. No jogging down. I find a 1.45 hill takes about 1.10 to get down. Do this for up to 1 hr. I have started off with 30 mins.

The session is tiring, but does not leave you wasted from blasting the hills. It also teaches you to run efficietly on the hills i.e. keep the backs of the knees soft like a hinge, and develop a quick foot turnover.

It was in the mag a few months back. I think it is working for me.
  • We have a hilly club run where the idea is to blast up the hills then circle round / jog between them. The difference with the Kenyan hills is that you're trying to keep a more even effort level then?
  • BR - how you doing? Just ran Abingdon this morning - finished 9th (sound familiar?) 2:45:50 - just missed that championship time. Suffered badly from 19 onwards, left calf constantly tightening and threatening to cramp. Even at 23 miles I only need to run 6:45/ml, but the rising temp and wind were just too much. Guess I'll have try again in 6 months!
  • Hard lines S3oB - last year there were 9 of us sub 2:45.

That last 6 miles can drag and drag can't it?

It might be worth finding a fast HM course and shooting for a sub 75 for your Championshp time.