Options

Sub 2:45 FLM 2006

Comments

• Options
    I've got a GFA place, so I'll probably leave it at that. Maybe .... ;-)

• Options
    Well done S3oB. Was that a PB? If so celebrate that and forget the 50 seconds over 2:45. Running 26.2 miles at any speed is not something you do everyday so put your feet up and reflect back on what you have achieved. Would not recommend drinking as much beer as I have done in the last week though:-))
  • Options
    BS - thanks. Yep - previous PB was 2:57:30 on the same course last year, so cut 11:40 off despite the wind and calf problems - think I'll be adding more Kenyan Hills and weights for the calfs. Need to push some of those tempo runs a bit more too and up the mileage (only 38mpw over the last 6 months, only 35mpw for the 3 months up to the taper). Crazy - only finished 7 hours ago and already planning the training for the next one!

No beer in the house right now, but a choice of 3 malt whiskys ... :-)
  • Options
    Hang on...

You've just knocked nearly 12 mins off your marathon pb, missed a Championship place by a whisker, and all off 35 mpw!!!???

Blimey.
  • Options
    Kenyan Hills - Keep the effort constant. It does get hard because of muscle fatigue not lactic acid accumulation. I feel that running the hills hard is more akin to 800/1500m training whereas controlled effort is better for 10k onwards. The next day my legs are not sore but just tired. When I build up the time closer to an hour I feel it will make me much stronger in the second half of the marathon.

I think the article my Keith Anderson was in the July or August issue

• Options
    Karl - I wondered where you had gone to. One less peroson for me to battle with onver Hants XC this year. How long are you out there for or is it perminant.

I keep meaning to try Kenyan hills. How steep do you reccomend?

My training is going well I did 74.46 over a windy undulating course at Hardley yesterday. Just about to go for a recovery run before breakfast. My key aim for FLM this year is to stay injury free. I have missed the last two due to a hip/ITB problem one on right and last year on left. My diagnosis was a tear of the band from the bone at the hip. I had loads of MRI etc but no magic cure. What I need to find is the exact cause.

I'm currently averaging 70-75pw including racing/tapering etc.

I'll try to post regularly this year as you guys are great for the motivation.
  • Options
    Here's hoping we all stay injury-free - ITB problems over winter are no fun at all with a spring marathon looming.

Training's going well for me too, touch wood. After 75 at Bristol half I have a long, hilly duathlon in November so I'm still mixing in some bike training. I don't know where you guys get the time for 70 mpw, I struggle to get in much more than 40.

Those Kenyan hill things sound interesting. The hill I use for my usual sessions (hard up, jog down) takes 1:30 so seems perfect for a 1:45 more evenly paced effort
  • Options
    BR - I was surprised the mpw were quite that low when I checked my log book, not planned - injury niggles mainly. Apologies - did you a disservice - you were 7th last year, not 9th. Not sure I could go sub-75 for a half, current PB 78:24, although we did lose a bit of time with a wrong turn (no marshall) and there were several underpasses to negotiate. BTW, winning time yesterday was only around 2:41, so either there was a missed opportunity there for a win for someone or the conditions were tougher than I realised at the time.
  • Options
    S3oB - it is surprising how 'slow' the winning times in a marathon can be- I missed out on my moment of glory in 1998 when I came 2nd in the Hereford Marathon-and I was catching the winner up! The winning time was only 2:46. The course was fairly undulating but the conditions were perfect.I suppose this happens because the really fast guys are more likely to gear themselves up to London and other big city marathons.
  • Options
    IMHO sub 2:45 in the marathon is much easier than sub 1:15 for the half- trouble is you don't get too many bites of the cherry as far as marathons are concerned.
  • Options
    Kenyan hills - The hill is not steep because you have to stride down, and if it is on the road in winter it could be very hard on the legs. I find with a 1.45 hill I will reach threshold by the top. I guess the gradient is 1 in 12 or 8%. I'm not very good at estimating gradients.
  • Options
    Vamps - I will probably be here for 2-3 years, I will see how it goes. I am missing the cross country season already!
  • Options
    Karl - enjoy your time. I hope it gives you all the experiences you yearn.
  • Options
    My Cardiff mara started great but ended in disaster. Was feeling fairly comfortable staying just under 6 min miles when hip pulled just after 13.1. Had to pull out as couldn't get running again. At least it has given me the confidence to go out at 6min miles straight from the gun.
  • Options
    Hi Karl, good to see you're back online after fleeing the country! Incase you haven't heard we've dropped out of the Sy Lge after DK left the club, but many of us are now on HHHs second claim list.

I'm not doing a great deal at the moment, but plan to build up through the rest of the month to a steady 80-90 mpw til the end of the year, mainly steady running.

Good luck as a vet, and see you in a couple of years!
  • Options
    Karl - what would you estimate Gun Hill is?
  • Options
    Hi all - some familiar names on here (although you may not remember me...) After a bit of a break for some triathlons this year I have signed up for FLM 2006 with an aim of sub 2:45. Previous best is 2:50:08 in 2004 off about 60 mpw, so my main change will be to up the mileage to about 80 mpw (by introducing some morning runs). Doing the Jersey Half in 5 weeks and looking for about 1:18 to indicate I'm in some sort of shape.
  • Options
    Hi Huw - good to see you back!

A tiny bit of good news for me - ran a bit over 2 miles last night, and for the first time in 10 weeks, no pain in the knee either during the run or the following morning. Small steps...
  • Options
    hello all you fast elitests.

just a quick question hopefully someone can help me with.

I usually enter LFM via GFA, but I have just realised I've missed entry deadline.

Can I enter another way if I have a sub 3.15 marathon under my belt?? (I'm senior, female)
  • Options
    I would try to grovel first by phoning the number I phoned which is one or two pages back.

But I the womens championship qualifying time is 3:15 so you can enter under the championship scheme which does not have a cut off for ages. Check the FLM website under championship and it will give you the details. i.e. sub 3:15 in last tow years, then send in a letter with proof of result, photo identity proof etc. No money is needed at this time just a letter. I can send you mine that I have use din the past if you want.

Good luck.
  • Options
    thanks Vamps, I thought 3.15 was the womens champs qualifying time, but i didn't really know what that meant entry wise.

if you could send me a copy of your letter that would be good thanks. Is there no entry deadline for champ entry then?
  • Options
    The FLM site says:

The championship qualifying standards for a full marathon are sub 2:45 for men and sub 3:15 for women.

If you are a UK runner and have a Championship Qualifying Performance from 2004 or 2005, please send proof of your performance (either a photocopied race certificate or a newspaper results clipping) and proof of ID (a photocopy of your passport, photographic driving licence or birth certificate) to:

Championship Entries
    The Flora London Marathon
    PO Box 3460
    London
    SE1 0YA

Applications for a entry form must be received by 6th January 2006. The Closing date for forms to be received in the London Marathon office is 13th January 2006 .

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Dappy.. sub 3.15 is indeed a female champ qualifying time, this is separate to GFA. Details are on the FLM site, but essentially you have until early Jan to get your entry in for a champ place.

Hope you enjoy the early start with the fast ladies.
  • Options
    thanks for your help guys. and there I was about to apply via the ballot (too late there as well I just realised!!)

• Options
    Shaggy.Shaggy. ✭✭✭
    Hi guys & girls.

Milko here from last years 2.45 thread,dark nights are here so time to dust off the old computer and see what's going on. Good to see so many 2.45 aspirations this year.

Just skipped through the thread - looks like some good marathon performances in recent weeks, particularly from Dibs and S3oB, both who had a far from perfect build up.
    Another solid run from BS to record yet another sub 3, you must have at least a dozen sub 3's to your name BS - good stuff.

Bad luck Matt, hope the body holds up at FLM.

Enjoy the Elite start Dappy. I've just read that FLM are considering a mixed race for '06, which I think would be great. It would give better opportunities for the likes of Dibs and Dappy to run faster times (it always looks a bit lonely for the Championship girls), but also what better incentive for our 31-32min 10k men to get out there and compete with the best women in the world? If you look at pics of Kristiansen/Waitz running London in the 80's they always had a group of male club runners hanging on to them, I'm sure it would inspire our better club runners to faster times. It'd be nice for us to have some female company as well.

As for me, well this plonker missed the closing date for GFA applications, so I'm sat here without an entry for FLM '06.
    I've applied for a Championship place with my half/full times of 75.11/2.45.43 - both just outside the qualifying standards - but hey, maybe they'll take pity (doubtful).
    No, I think I've set myself the challenge of running a sub75 half before Xmas - the first attempt being next Sunday at Worksop and the more realistic attempt 6 weeks later at Keyworth. Spent the last 2 weeks frantically putting the icing on a very shallow cake. Ah well, I like a good challenge anyway.

Hi Tom, sorry you had to miss Cardiff marathon, what are your future marathon plans now? Pleased to hear you're back to full training.

See you on TV BR - good controlled start there, you were the only one who wasn't sprinting. Decent finish time considering the rising temp.

• Options
    Hi Milko. I'll see you at Worksop, although I'm pacing someone round to about 1:22. I can point out a couple of clubmates who will be just under 75 mins though if that helps.
  • Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Hi Stu, great to see you back - hope you get the championship place. Worksop's pretty fast, slight uphill at the start and the same downhill at the end. Dibs' Berlin run was fantastic wasn't it, moreso when you compare it with her HM personal best.

Back to full mileage, though pace is still constrained by fitness and some sciatic aches. I'm running the Fenland 10M next week to guage what the level of fitness is. Marathon plans are on hold, as realistically i don't think I can race the 26.2 whilst there's still sciatica problems, no matter how slight.

Anyway its great to hear from you again, keep us up to date on your progress.
  • Options
    Shaggy.Shaggy. ✭✭✭
    Thanks BR, if they are even paced runners I'd appreciate that (can't cope with fast starts), I'll look out for you at the start.
    Looks like the event has grown, when I last ran it in '02 there were 800 runners, this year they have already got 2000 entries.

Tom - wise decision to put marathon plans on hold. I see the Fenland 10 advertised the other week and wondered if you'd be there, it incorporates the Eastern Vets champs doesn't it? you should be challenging for honours. It's a fast course anyway, I've set PB's there in the past over the 10m and half marathon courses.
    I've run Worksop 3 times and set PB's twice and missed the 3rd by 13secs, it's also the only course where I've run sub 75, so quite optimistic, just wish it was a few weeks later.

Changed jobs in July (hence the name change), had a couple of weeks off running at the time plus 4 weeks of around 20m per week. Came back with a painful 82.09 at Newark half, followed 4 weeks later with a faster than expected 77.59 at Nottingham, so moving in the right direction.
  • Options
    hi everyone. S3oB...wow impressive p.b especially on your mileage..plenty to come iam sure! And thank u Tom!
    Just got back from National Road Relay's, Sutton Park, with an encouraging run. 1st leg, 15.12 and 22nd, so pleased with that. Shortest race ever....not sure if i liked it though....far too fast, but i know i have to do it to get faster. Helen Clitheroe won my leg, about 1min 10secs a head of me, Kate Reed just missed Paula's course record by 1 second....how gutting, especially as she was there watching!

Training in heat chamber at moment, which is hell. Also very boring, treadmill in a hypoxic tent...27 degrees and 80% humidity. Its the closest thing to Singapore apparently, starting to wonder what i have let myself in for.

Stroud half tomorrow, so fingers crossed for a p.b....really need a better half time. Stroud's times look good, although a few people have told me its not as flat as you are lead to believe!!?
    Dibsx
  • Options
    1st lady and loadsa money! 4 min p,b so very pleased. dibsx