Speed Training

Hello, I'm a RW virgin if you like, and I have been running on and off for 3 years and have entered into the London Marathon for my sins.

Could anyone give me tips on speed work, I have to train inside in the winter as it is too dark and not safe to train outside during the week and I have to save my long runs for the weekend anyway.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Amanda xx

Comments

• Amanda,

I assume that you will be doing your indoor training on a treadmill. First of all, you should ease into speedwork gently - trying to run too hard before your body is ready for it risks injury.

A beginner's speedwork session on a treadmill might look like:

- 10 to 15 minutes easy pace to warm-up;
    - accelerate the 'mill to a pace which is 'comfortably' hard (you shouldn't be gasping for breath but, equally, the pace should be fast enough so that you can't easily speak in full sentences);
    - sustain that pace for 2 - 3 minutes;
    - slow down the treadmill to an easy pace and recover for 2 minutes;
    - repeat 4 more times;
    - finish off with 5 - 10 minutes easy cool-down;
    - stretch afterwards.

You could also incorporate a bit of speedwork - such as few strides - during your long runs.

Good luck!
  • Thank you. I will give it a go later and see how I get on. x
  • I've just started speed training too, and it's knackering! Is that just me, or is it supposed to be hard work? I can only do intervals of 20 seconds before I'm puffed out...that's not good is it?

Shall plod on though...
  • Aha -someone finally explained the difference between intervals and fartlek. Hurrah - I did both. Am twice as smug now.

Have also had a really productive pm at work - does running at lunchtime increase productivity??
  • I tought fartlek meant 'workout from hell' in Swedish :-)))

Oh, I've heard some ruder suggestions as well ;-)
  • I just thought it referred to what seems to be an inevitable effect of running