Sub- 5 hours -v Get you round

I'm doing FLM this year, its my first marathon - am really excited. I've been trying to convince myself that I just want to get round and have followed the RW subscriber "Get You Round" schedule for the last two weeks very comfortably but really I want to do sub-5 hours.

The next schedule up is the sub 4.30 one which is a bit beyond me. I've started trying to combine the two but its not easy. Does anyone have a view on whether its better to try the sub-4.30 plan and maybe not quite make the times or to stick with the "Get you Round" and hope I can pace myself fast enough on the day?

Comments

• Personally, and don't all jump on me for saying this but if you aren't gonna be happy with a 5 hour then train using the sub 4.30. Your body will only go as fast as it is capable of and if the sub 4.30 training gets too hard then just ease it back a bit.

It is your first marathon so finishing it will be a super achievement for you, try not to worry too much about time and do it for the experience and sheer enjoyment.

Good luck
  • Dont worry about the time just go out and enjoy yourself,the crouds are great the runners are amazing and will help you get around. Just relax and enjoy it it makes all the hard training worth it. The emotions that you will feel when you cross the line are fab. I have to admit it I cried, I was so rapped just to have completed it. The following year was the race that i worried about times and i nocked 45 mins off hope to do the same this year.
    Enjoy and all the best.
  • sorry about the spelling I am a bit elliterate but I am K.O know.
  • Slowmoe - I'm in an identical position to you. I really don't care about my timings (honest, I've only just started running and the idea I'm even contemplating FLM is still pretty amazing) and had planned to do Get You Round on the basis that I'm still new and inexperienced and don't want to risk injury by pushing myself further. But after doing my first race was fairly appalled at my prospective timings for the marathon based on my 10k speed (about 5hrs 40, which really is far longer than I want to be running). My cousin-in-law is an elite runner (runs sub-2:30) and assured me that following a sub-5hr schedule was not beyond the bounds of possibility for a beginner. At the end of the day I can only do so much before April, but a sub=5 schedule does at least include speed work and the opportunity to get a bit faster. There's a sub-5 in this month's RW (though I confess I can't understand it) but I'm following a schedule in a book (Richard Nerurkar's) because it sounds like the right thing for me. Look around and give it a go, and I reckon if I fall behind the sub-5 I'll go back to a Get You Round.
    MB
  • There you go not so Slowmoe, you'll be fine!
  • Thanks Guys! I thought i'd do the sub 2.15 group at Silverstone and see how I get on. You'll easily spot me as the one with the amusing run (my sister says i run like the contestants in giant fancy dress on Its a Knockout!!!). Even more excited now!
  • Is the sub-2.15 a RW pacing group? If so, I might join you there - I'll also be at Silverstone, and it seems much closer than FLM itself. Trying not to get too overwhelmed by the whole thing at the moment. I'll be the puffy one at the back...
  • 15 weeks suddenly seems too short! I did a 2.17 half marathon in October so sub-2.15 should be okay in March although from the day of that 1/2m until two weeks ago I did nothing but eat and sit still and get wider!

I so want to do a sub-2 hour 1/2M. Did 2.05 about 3 years ago when i was about 2st lighter and didn't work long hours. Reckon this could be my year!
  • Hi slowmoe, I'm in exactly the same position as you. My first FLM and I'm still excited! I've done a few 1/2M before but my best time is only 2:27. I set myself 3 goals. 1) get through the training and be fit and healthy when I get to the start line 2) get round 3) get round in sub 5, ie. I'll be happy with 4:59. Some say that the last two goals can't work together and you should really choose one, so Im following the sub 5 schedule from the current RW schedule and if I can't keep that up I'll drop back to 'get you round'. I'm also going to Silverstone and planning to follow the 2:15 pacing group which I think should be achievable if I can stick to the training plan. I've also registered (I think but can't find the confirming email now!) for the 20mile pacing run in Birmingham. As this is only the week after I'm going to follow the get you round pacers at that one.
  • Slowmoe, I am also in the same position. First marathon and have decided to follow the sub 5 hour schedules which is in the Feb issue of RW, but not on the website I think. Seems to suit me as sub 4.30 is a bit out of reach, but wasn't keen on all the walking also involved in the get you round schedules.Doing the sub4.30 schedule if you can't quite stick to it could end up being a bit demotivating? Anyway the sub 5 hour one in the magazine seems like a good inbetweeny for me and was pleased to find it as otherwise the choices are sub 4.30 or get you round.
  • Slowmoe, I'm another one on the "get you round schedule" My view is that I am doing this to make me feel good, raise some money for charity and know I have joined a band of absolute nutters. After all what sort of person gets out of a warm bed at 7am on a cold, wet Sunday morning and runs for 2 to 3 hours? Answer.... we do and don't we enjoy it!! Have a great race and don't worry about the clock just enjoy the experience.
  • All, you've been great. I'm more inclined to forget about the clock now and just get on with it. Its so nice to find a band of speedy slowmoes like myself as usually the marathon threads seem to be dominated by people far faster than I will ever be and who are doing long runs so much further.
    Have a great one, team!
  • See you at Silverstone, I'll be at the back