Wesham 10K

Just entered online, anyone got any details of course, is it a flat PB course or a hilly slog in mud? doing Birchwood on Sunday (first after Blackpool half) and trying to get the rest of the year races sorted, need to know how hard to train for this.

thanks

Comments

• I've not done the race so cannot answer your questions directly. Have you looked at the race ratings from previous years? They seem very positive.

From my own experience of the Freckleton Half Marathon, which is organised in June by the same people, I would expect this to be a really good event.
  • Thanks. Have just looked and it seems to be pretty flat so hopefully an 05 PB could be on the cards (currently 48.20)the way training is going not much chance of this changing before November.

• Can anyone tell me what the crowd is like? Hard core or mixed ability? My 60-yr old mum wants to do her first 10k and she needs confidence. I'd hate her to be 20 mins behind everyone else.
  • abbs : mixed ability.

If she wants to do this then certainly encourage her. They are a friendly bunch.

See last year's results to assess where she thinks she will finish. here
  • Did this last year, and it was my first ever race as a 'Trainee runner' Had a great race, and loved the course. Very well organised, and very mixed runners.

Signed up on-line, and will be joining everyone with my mate(i'm currently training to 'whoop his ass'), brother and uncle who's 70yrs old.

Look forward to seeing you all there on the day!
  • Finally walking less John Wayne like after the GNR, lack of hill training and 8 mile+ runs showed ! Looking for a few events for mixed runners from the gym running club to enter, NOT like Saddleworth 6, is this a good 'un ?
  • It would be unfare of me to try to persuade you with my biased opininions because I organise the race.

I'll be as objective as I can, by just giving you a few facts about gthe race:

I'd describe it as gently undulating. There are no severe hills. Certainly a potential pb course. I'm currently training to try to beeak 40 minutes for the first time.

Those who are worried about being too slow. If you enter, you are fast enough. It's always great to see records broken but for me it's just as important to have lots of happy people out to have a good time.

The race currently has over 400 entries - I'll take 550. Last year atthis stage I had received 300 entries and the race was full with 6 weeks to go. I guess that speaks volumes for the success of the race.

Oldestr entrant so far is 74. Youngest is 15. Fastest predicted time from Runners orld is 31 minutes. Slowest predicted time is 1 hour 30 minutes. It doesn't mater how long you take. We will wait for you at th finish with your memento.

Water station at half way. FREE massage before and after the rasce will be provided by students from Blackpool and The Fylde College.

Go on, enter online at RW. You know you want to really.

PS, can someone have a pint of beer ready for me on the bar at approx 12 noon on the day. I'll need it cos I'll be on the course at 6.30am, in the dark, and the cold (have I got your sympathy yet????)
  • Thanks Brian, totally impartial, but I think it was the massage option that finally swung it :o)
    Have entered online, and will try and solicit at least two or three others to do so today, sounds like it will be a sell out.
    Last 4 or 5 have been in glorious weather, but given the date of the run, I won't hold you responsible !
  • Hi folks
    Online entries are now closed for this race.

I am still accepting postal entries, but please hurry as there are only a few left now.

When entering by post, please ensure you send a stamped addressed envelope for your race information.

I will accept the Runners orld universal entry form or you can download it a www.weshamroadrunners.com
  • Brian - Sorry i cannot make this one due to it clashing with a X-Country meeting on the same day.

I really wanted to do it because last years race was one of the best 10k`s i did.

Good Luck and hope it all goes well.
  • gutted would have entered this one aswell with the free massage!!! no chance of a late entry then brian?
  • it says you can enter by post still, you could try that.
  • Gary, thanks for your comments. I'm still trying to get over to the Gin Pit 5 on Sunday, but struggling with a slight knee injury.

The race is full with a record entry of 575 entrants, including 120 from this web site.
    Over 60 different clubs are represented.

Thank you to all those who have entered. I wish I could accommodate more but I have to make sure it is safe for everyone.

Sorry, sprintingtoffee, you are right - there's no chance of a late entry.
  • I have six people travelling with me for the race, including my son age 15. No one other than me has entered a race before. Is the 575 entrants correct, as I was under the impression that the maximum number was 500?. Whats the best time to arrive?.
  • Thanks Carl
    575 is correct, though I don't expect everyone to turn up. There are always some people who enter and then don't run for a variety of reasons. The original limit was 450 but as demand for places soared I had another look at the risk assessment, found some additional parking and raised the limit.

Please arrive as early as possible. The race will be very well signed from junction 3 of the M55. We have arranged for the clubhouse to be open from 9am with massage provided by Blackpool and The Fylde College from 9am.

Anyone arriving after 10.15 will be parking away from the start/finish and changing so the earlier you arrive the better.

Hope this helps
    Please tell the other 5 to relax and enjoy. They are guranteed a personal best.
  • Cheers for that Brian, thats really helpful, I look forward to seeing you on the day.
  • No problem
    Just loking at the entry list again, it looks like it's going to be a great family day out for you.

I hope you're all looking forward to it as much as I am.

Everything within my control is in place. Just hoping for some decent weather now.

I've marked all the mile and KM splits on the road and have received the race mementoes - they look really good even if I do say so myself.

I hope I can put on an event that you'll all want to come back to and will vote for in the Runners World top 100
  • I'm really looking forward to this one. Brian, you certainly make it sound very inviting and welcoming. We'll just have to see what the weather brings this weekend - looks like it could be pretty much anything from the forecasts so far. See you all on Saturday.
  • It has all the makings of a great day. Despite selling out weeks ago, I'm still getting entries and enquiries. I just wish i could accept everyone that wants to run.
    Been around the course again this morning. Weather forecast looks good at the moment with 3 degrees forecast Friday night so no frost on the course, which was a worry at one point. I've got some grit and salt lined up just in case.

Saturday looks like there might be a bit of a breeze but it won't cause problems as the course is sheltered..

Please arrive early so you and make use of the free massage provided by students from Blackpool and The Fylde College. Bring some cash though, cos they're having a collection for Children in Need.

Roll on Saturday. I can't wait!!
  • Very much looking forward to this Brian. Let's hope it's not too windy on Saturday and there are some good fast times.

Do we pick up numbers on arrival? Think I remember doing this last year and haven't had anything posted to me.
  • I have entered online ages ago, and got confused over the number situation. i am arriving early to collect my number.

This was my first 10k last year, found it very well run, and was glad of the massage at the end!

I will hopefully get a PB!
  • Yes you are right Brian, family event indeed. Son, brother and me all having a go not to mention 3 pals. I hope to finish in front of my son and brother, I have the disadvantage of being the oldest though, so fingers crossed.

Hope the snow holds off, really looking forward to this now.

Cheers

Carl
  • Marcus
    All online entries will be available to collect on the day.
    Directions to the race are on our web site www.weshamroadrunners.com

I've found an answer to those of you worrying about the weather - stop looking at the forecasts!!

Justin - good to speak to you earlier today.

Carl - good to see such family involvement.
    There are a few asking me about snow - it won't snow enough around the course to cause a cancellation.
    THERE! I,VE SAID IT. Latest forecast from the BBC is for strong winds Friday and moderate winds on Saturday.
    NO SNOW FORECAST FOR THE WESHAM 10K.

Anyway, if it does snow, we can always have a snowman building competition as well!!

See you all Saturday.
    Enjoy. I'm going to.

• Thanks Brian. We will all have a good day out with you, I am sure.
  • Just a thought, folks.
    I idn't order my beer, did I?

It's a pint of bitter, on hte stage at the Social Club. Soon as you like after 12.00!

Many thanks!

See you tomorrow
  • Latest update.

Entry for te 2006 Wesham 10K is now live on this web site.

Paper copies will be available tomorrow from www.weshamroadrunners.com

• That sounds a fair deal, Brian! (The beer not next year's entry.) I'll try to get round that quickly but I'm not making any promises....
  • The idea is for YOU to but ME beer folks!
    Thought I should clarify or it will cost me a fortune.

Note the time I'm posting this! Can't sleep. I'm like a kid at Christmas this morning. Given up on sleep.

It looks like it's going to get out a beautiful day. We will have perfect running conditions. Just hope everyone can make it throught the snow that is affecting a lot of people.
    Latest forecast from the BBC

06:00 4°C

09:00 3°C

12:00 7°C

15:00 7°C
    Wind is 7mph
    Could you have asked for better conditions.

Just off to the course to start setting up

See you all later.
    Stepford wife - please come and identify yourself when you get there this morning.
  • Thanks Brian, and all concerned, for a smashing race. Good venue. Good course. Well marshalled. Ultra-fast results.
    Sorry I had to leave before the prize-giving. I felt a bit bad about that but it was either that or hitch back to Huddersfield!
    Hope everything went well from your club's point of view.
    Cheers!