Tywyn Race the Train 2006

Comments

• 108 Blisters
    81 Boycie
    457 CD (Scunthorpe AC blue top - green forum ribbon)
    257 Chris22
    56 deathbyhamster
    44 Hot Tub Alci
    323 marshallini
    8 Mr Phil [now with extra padding around the waist]
    2239 Rigamorph
    26 running caz
    10 Welsh Alex
    369 Fitn40lots
  • Hi Phil

You said (a bit ago)
    "i intend to beat next years train by about 11 1/2 months"

I'm with you mate!! :)

Emma
    No. 340
  • Marshallini, sorry to hear about your over training situ, sounds interesting aboutthe potassium and minerals. Though I am a complete novice at this, I was training too much I think and just ran out of steam a few weeks ago, so I have abandoned my original plan of getting up to 27 miles a week in (no where near to you I know this) rested for 2 weeks and gone to doing mostly long hilly runs and leaving as many days as it takes for me to feel totally back on form again, then going out again. Really enjoyed a 7 miles run this evening, it was fantastic. However I am just aiming to try andnot come last here LOL Not sure there is any comparison at all, except that my food situ was crap until 4 days ago when I went back to salads, veg, and bread and potatoes rather than the high sugar, high fat rubbish I was eating before, perhaps this helped too - mineral levels and all that....
    Oh I am waffleing on now.. sorry everyone... Getting all excited about it again after feeling dead depressed that I wasn't even going to be able to enter it.
  • emma - you have a back marking running partner. will it be you or me bringing the picnic for tea [by which time we will be at 8 miles!!]
  • There are going to be so many of us at that picnic Mr Phil, make sure you bring enough
  • excellent, who's bringing the cider?
  • I would offer, but fear that the extra weight will slow me down even futher making the cider too warm to enjoy

• I will bring some Henry Westons, at 8% a complete night out in only one bottle !
  • but you'll have to leave it for us you fast young buck!! [spelt B-u-c-k!!]

if you're going to leave things - make mine a pie!!!!
  • mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, pies!!!

• Steak and Cider pie I think, mmmmmmmmm !!!!
  • or we could eat any stragglers or people that have fallen by the wayside!

mmmmmmmmmmmm, wayside fresh!!!!!!!!111
  • Is it not possible for friends or family on the train to throw food to you as you run.

A well aimed heavy pork pie could take out any opposition as well.

Did an easy 4 something today then went for a mile blast round the block just before and I'm going to have a plod tommorrow in the hills. Pretty much written off the 10 mile race on Sunday, got plenty of time to train for the next one and once train racing is done that'll be my sole focus.

I'll be fighting fit in 2 weeks no problem.
  • fighting in 2 weeks? i need to start playing rugby again!
  • Haven't fought for years but I am back down to my old fighting weight, first time in 8 years.
  • Best picnic spot is at 7 miles.
    The passengers can take the picnic on the train......
  • 108 Blisters
    81 Boycie
    257 Chris22
    56 deathbyhamster
    340 Emma
    369 Fitn40lots
    44 Hot Tub Alci
    323 marshallini
    2239 Rigamorph (Red hair, red face, black visor, white ipod!)
    26 running caz
    10 Welsh Alex
  • now thats a good idea blisters
  • Mmmm cider.... count me in!

yes passengers on the train taking picnic, now thats a good idea!! No meat pies for me though yukk!, mines a pizza! warmed nicely by the cider I should think! lol

Sounds great Marshallini! Your'll be good for RTT! See you as I cross after you have been to a cafe, read war and peace etc!! :-)

• I'll join you for that cider - maybe i@ll bring some from Somerset.

108 Blisters
    81 Boycie
    257 Chris22
    56 deathbyhamster
    340 Emma
    369 Fitn40lots
    44 Hot Tub Alci
    323 marshallini
    26 running caz
    10 Welsh Alex
    64 LW*
    63 RW

Is there going to be any way we can meet up before the start, or will it be too crowded???
  • I was thinking more of meeting up afterwards?

According to the schedule people start getting trains for the 10k at 9.45, and i plan to arrive at 9am or would have to leave before 7am to get there (2hr drive from anglesey) and anything before 7am is still 'night' as far as i am concerned!

So you RTT veterans:

1) would i have time to park/register/pee/catch the train between 9am and 9.45? (Or should i leave home in the middle of the 'night'?!)

2) what time would 90% of people be finished from the main race and showered/rested/fed? 5.30ish?

3) will it be easy to spot people or can you recommend a highly visible local feature where we can congregate?

P.S. Anyone running in the main race can give their picnic to me as i will still be running the 10k by the time you get there! ;-) And why has nobody mentioned chocolate? Isn't that the major constituent of every runner's diet?!! (Or have i been taking too many tips from Blister's daughter?!)
  • Aside from the 7 mile turnround picnic site :), I think it would be good to meet up after rather than before, but I am a newbie so can't comment on actual logistics of doing this, other than I may or may not have crossed the finish line by 5.30! lol, so visible feature might be best...how about the beer tent? (guessing there might be one)

Hmm.... yes choclate, does it for me too.
  • I'm setting off tomorrow, so I hope to be there in time for the start! I just hope I don't forget anything...

45 Andrew Burgess 2 (representing Maidstone Harriers)
    108 Blisters
    81 Boycie
    257 Chris22
    56 deathbyhamster
    340 Emma
    369 Fitn40lots
    44 Hot Tub Alci
    323 marshallini
    26 running caz
    10 Welsh Alex
    64 LW*
    63 RW
  • Oh yes there is a beer tent, and the Guinness is excellent for replacing the lost iron and minerals. I guess that most folk will be sprawled on the grass anyway.

I don't intend to rush anywhere after the race.
  • Latest update - Did 4.7 today, covered the first 2/3rds of my favourite little run from Helsby to Frodsham. Ran the out section faster than ever, but took it very easy coming back, felt ok, definitley on the up, but I'll still take it easy between now and the race. I've got the training is in my legs just need to be nice and fresh on the day.

Happy again.

You can't really tell from my forum pic but that's what I'll be wearing on the day, Orange club vest with CHRIS written on the front, and my lucky "racing in wales" light blue short.
  • With other races forumites have attached a green ribbon to the race number so that people can be identified without having to remember numbers.
  • can't miss me - i'm the one with the big beer gut
  • Green ribbon, thats an idea...

Thats great you've bounced back a happy bunny again Marshallini - Good stuff! :)

As its Pouring with rain here today it made me wonder.... if its raining on the day, how do people attach their number to a waterproof without compromising the waterproofness? Or are you all super tough and run in a vest even in the pouring rain? Or doesn't it really matter whether the number is seen these days, tags and all?

Sorry for all the questions... its my first race...

• rain? on race the train day?, never- 90 degree heat always provided!!

don't think it matters too much, the numbers are pretty weatherproof and i don't think i've ever lost a race number to rain before. we've also got the chips this year [mmmmmmmmmm,chips]

the way i feel i may run faster in wellies!!
  • Hi Phil

Hi temperatures, here in Aug - never.... Well thats my part of Snowdonia anyway! :)

I wasn't worried about the number itself though! I just don't want to put holes in my lightweight gortex with safty pins to allow rain in on future occasions! LOL. But point taken... the number is probably not as important now we have chips!