Tywyn Race the Train 2006

Comments

• Hi Emma - you probably won't need a waterproof this time, but usually you just pin the number to your running vest and unzip the w/proof as you cross the line.
  • You could pin the number to an elastic belt like triatletes and wear it over your top.
  • Arh... Thats a good idea marshallini.

I have a waterproof that goes over my head! (ie doesn't unzip far)

Thanks for the suggestions
  • Long range weather forecast for the 19th suggests sunny/overcast but with possible rain by 6ish in the evening.

So...in other words it could be blisteringly hot OR pouring it down! (Helpful then)
  • Hi - just checking in. I've only just sent my form off so hope I get in though Birchwood 10k is the next day so have entered that as well- er or could do both!

Pardon me for asking without reading all the posts - If it rains will I need trail shoes or will my ordinary running shoes be OK?
  • I havent been able to "run" my trail shoes in, ground has been too hard, so hoping that we wont need them
  • Are we doing this green ribbon thingy??
  • If I'm there I'll have my Mr Happy Logo - profeshnial like!
  • I plan on running it in my racing flats, not sure if that's wise.
    I've glued my fell shoes back together just incase.
    I do have another alternative which are probably the best choice but they are really scruffy.

I'll wear a green ribbon, I've still got one from Abingdon marathon last year.

• The organisers are currently reporting that the country is like iron. Even if it rains it will bounce off/soak in.

Forget the bogmaster shoes, standard running trainers are the kiddies. Last year the peeps wearing the fell and trail shoes were in pain when it came to the last 2 miles on the road. I did see racing flats at the start line, I chose something with a tiddy bit of tread.

If it rains, then you get wet. It's not january, you won't need multiple layers. You are going to get quite hot when running. Even if it is January you warm up after a few miles anyway.

As for forecasts, you think you can get an accurate forecast for 2 weeks time? You might as well ask them for the lottery numbers while you're at it ;-)

Call me sarky if you wish, but they can't even get an aftercast right.
  • When do we buy the tickets for the Sat night function? Is there a tee shirt for this event?
  • I'll try and find a green ribbon although it might end up as green string. Can't speak for Mr W. I'll probably be wearing my very original safari hat if it's very hot.
  • Regarding shoes. We will run through a shallow ford out and back, so shoes will get wet. Also up near the falls there is a small stream (probably little more than a trickle ) which we will have to overcome. This can get quite slippery for the later runners. I have always run in road shoes but normally a pair which have reached the end of their life.
  • Come on everyone - only 11 days to go - lets all beat the train - do you think it's like British Rail and the lines will buckle in the heat???
  • Only 11 days to get my form back, oh dear.

Right, I'm going to forego looking good and go for my old Saucony, they're light enough and have a reasonable grip and the drainage is good because they're full of holes.

• Hi fitn40lots,

I am going to try and find a green ribbon or something approximating this.

I think the sat eve do is all part of the race, my understanding was you don't need tickets specifically.... Anyone disagree?

• The website says on the "official time table" page;

"Evening prize presentation and social by ticket only"

but the "Race itinery" page says;

"We shall again be running our evening event which has proved very popular and the prize giving will take place during this as usual. Following our established format with refreshments (hot), bar and light music, plus entertainment suitable for children, ending at about 11.00pm . To enable us to cater could you please indicate on the entry form how many are likely to attend but please do not duplicate this figure with your friends who are completing their own entry forms."

There doesn't appear to be anything on the entry form to fill in for evening do.

"Race background" page says;

"We hold the prize giving together with a buffet, bar and entertainment suitable for the children amongst us in the evening. This finishes at 11.00pm prompt as most people are tired especially us and wish to go to bed by then.

The evening event is by invitation only, there is no charge but we are prevented by the terms of our licence to allow you to bring your own food and drink on to the field and into the tent. You must also appreciate that we also need to cover the considerable hire charges for the tent and field."

All that has left me none the wiser.

• Just had a cracking run, only 7.4 but I felt really strong.

Particullry reassuring after pulling out after 4 miles in the 10 mile race on Sunday.

And it involved some hills that I ran up remarkabley well.

• HTA should be able to clarify as he did it last year but is possibly on hols?
  • Good stuff Marshallini! Don't over do it now and you'll be raring to go next Sat!
  • Thanks for clearing that all up for us marshallini...............lol
  • omg - is it really next saturday!!!!
  • Glad that you are back up and rearing to go..take care now and dont go and get injured!
  • I know the feeling Mr Phil, HELP
  • Good point.

Must start to plan the things.
    Book camp site
    find tent
    buy disposable BBQ
    camping stove
    plan menu

And start training.....
  • Just got in from an easy 13.75, feeling good, but I will not get carried away, all the hard training has been done and I just need to get there in one piece.

I was thinking of going over on the Friday but I've decided to drive there on the day, anyone know what the parking is like.
  • Blisters: the intended sarcasm of the final line of my post about the weather forecast obviously didn't come through!

Will attempt to find green ribbon/green fabric something or other to attach to myself.

Only have one pair of trainers so will be running in those. (Although may well need to buy replacement pair afterwards!)

No clue about the evening do but can't stay anyway. Sorry!

• Sorry mate, I'm as thick as elephant hide when it comes to spotting subtleties.

Hmmm

Perhaps eveyone on RW really is super-intelligent, and I'm the thick one that gets taken for a ride every time?

Maybe.

Maybe.

But there is usually someone who can ask the obvious question for the 16th time and still sound sincere. It's a funny old thing the interweb.
  • This will be my fifth R-t-T and despite a twisted knee and lack of big mileage i'm still looking forward to the event.

Shan't be going to the evening bash as its pants. Probably head for the village pub in
    Bryncrug...