Tywyn Race the Train 2006

Comments

• the course is as open as a giant open thing in openworld , not much shelter at all.If the wind is in your kisser you'll know about it. It hasn't been a problem in the past as it's always been blazing hot when I've done it.
  • a nice "light" wind might offer a little refreshing cooling effect then?

Although it's not going to be a scorcher!

Bring it on!

Can't wait.

Chugga chugga chugga choo choo!
  • 10mph is a light breeze.
    The return leg is a tad (aheem) undulating, so you won't notice any breeze.

Lets break the second half into sections:
    Uphills: breeze? This ain't no breeze.
    Woodland bits, and cross sloped hillsides: sheltered.
    Down dales: Won't notice
    Roads to town: tall hedges, sheltered.

But if the sun's out, there's a shortage of shade, so cream up.

Toot toot

(Fizzy-o has attacked my back, and I'm kinda tender at the mo, I'll definitely do the 5k fun run, but the 14.5? I'm at odds of 50/50)
  • Last hard session last night - hills - good preparation hopefully - have also tried running a few miles on sheep tracks the day before!!! Feeling pretty confident - forecast is for rain - what in Wales; in August?? Oh well it's all good!!!
  • I fully anticipate a fairly crappy run. I am rubbish up hill, hate any kind of camber and think I will spend most of the race at the back with the old women. But I am looking forward to a pint afterwards :)

I've still got nowhere to stay. The official camp sites appear to be full so might have to stay a bit further away - Any ideas?

• I'll have a word with my Mum Mr happy, you might be able to put a tent up next to our caravan in Aberdyfi (4 miles away). Mail me if your interested.
  • Hey Mr Happy, you sound like my kind of runner. I'll bring the werthers sweets and we can chat up the old ladies together.
  • sounds like we have a bit of a queue forming at the back!
  • I think I might be one of the 'old ladies' so it sounds like fun!

• Phil, did you say you had a wetsuit I could borrow for Porthcawl Tri ?
  • yeah, a shortie, not a proper tri suit, but has thin panels on arms and legs - i did tris in it woth no probs- body glove too, so used to look quite with it.

let me know and i'll dig it out- i'll have to give it to you this weekend,as will be away until bank holiday saturday
  • Mr Happy, you sort out the camping or do you want me to ask about the caravan for you?

• Cheers Phil, This weekend will be great as I can give it a rip B4
  • Shall I bring a few copies of Saga magazine with me as well? - its actually a really good mag!

HTA if you can find me somewhere to pitch a tent that will be most welcome. I'll mail you seperately (Tomorrow)
  • I phoned Pall Mall camp site and they were fine for accepting tents. Barely a 1000m walk into town.

toot toot
  • Not long now, oooooh, my bottle's going.

The plan for this week was to take it easy, so went hard Monday, easy Tuesday, woke up Wednesday with a very sore calf, had a little jog (100m) just to see if it was anything serious and although it didn't feel too bad, it has sown seeds of doubt, anyway I rested it for the rest of the day...........................................
    puff pant...phew, just been for a jog up the road and all seems fine, I'm going to go upto Helsby for a run around the meadow that is on a slope, see how it is properly.

Toot toot!
  • Wifey is on it and we are probably going to be staying in a guest house not far away whilst you poor plebs camp out in the rain and the mud :) (But then again if the guest house falls through I will also be camping in the rain and the mud)
  • you mean we're going to meet mrs happy??
  • Mr Happy, I'd booked a couple of small tent pitches at Ynysmaengwyn campsite, quite close to Tywyn, but had to cancel them yesterday. Might be worth a quick call to them (tel 01654 710684) if you're really after camping.

Not cancelled out of the race though (no surrreee!) just having to travel down on the day.
  • Back from run and everything is ok, tried out racers over a wide variety of terrain and conditions and I think I'll be going for them on race day.

Toot toot.
  • Good luck

I can confirm that my back is well and truly shafted. There is no way that I can do the 14 miler. I am one seriously depressed bunny.

However I am also entered into the 5 km fun run with my daughter, and therefore get a train ride. I shall do this one, as my good walking pace is equivalent to her top running speed. She's also aiming to chat her way round with a mate. Oh, how I recall some people's efforts at school cross country. She has now got the same enthusiasm as they had. Summed up as "Must I?"

Anyway it was a big fizz session on Tuesday, and another next Tuesday. She's been brilliant so far, but the back really does not like jogging at the moment.

Look, I'll be there. If nothing else, it's a bonding weekend with D1.
  • Morning train-chasers.
    Just packed fell-shoes, my trusty Walshes. Reckon i'm going to need them after hearing the forecast.

Good luck to all...
  • I'm bringing my wellies!

HTA Mrs Happy and young Master Happy (13) will be accompanying us back to the land of my grandmother this weekend.

• 29 hours to go and the weather looks blooming awful. Anyone down there at the moment to confirm? Whats the ground like?
  • Look forward to meeting them Mr Happy!!
  • Weather here in Wales ... not as far down as Twywn but still it is truely terrible rain! and forecast for tomorrow is 20mm between 6am - 8am tailing off to 'only' 0.8mm - 1.3mm in the afternoon! Yuk!

Ground here is still hard and dry (underneath) and all the riverlets have dried up ... but by tomorrow morning if it keeps going like this....who knows..

Sorry to hear about your back Blisters :( Still its more important to get it better and run another day! Good to hear youre fighting fit Marshallini.

I have been feeling 'so' knackered this last week seriously considering not coming along and thought I had a cold yesterday. I was dead miserable about it, I have been resting too.. what gives body? I ask it.

Still it seems today I feel I have picked up a bit so am intending to be there... and get round best I can. I so hope its not torrential rain though!
  • Fighting fit? Just had a minor migrainel incident, I'm thinking my resting heart rate has been elevated building upto this and now it'll settle down again.

Yeah, tough luck Blisters, get well soon.

Shoe choice is now in the balance, I'll bring every pair I've got and see what it's like when I get there.

Good race everyone, toot toot.
  • How to Spot Me!
    Mr Happy

Setting off for B&B now! See you there!
  • Wow, all our fears of sunburn and heat stroke never came to anything, what a totally miserable day weatherwise.

The race though was great.

Made the mistake of wearing my road shoes, but I didn't fancy wearing my fell shoes as I had to glue the soles back on and didn't think they'd last 14+ miles.

Managed to get nearish the front at the start and set of at a comfortable pace, not my usual sprint start, about 6:30 for the first mile. Once off road I expected it too slow a bit.

Was suprised to see mile markers, went thru 3 in 19:25 which is still about 6:30 pace.
    4 miles I think I hit in 26:28. 5 - 33.13, missed 6, 7 miles and the turn was in 47.34, roughly what I was hoping for, giving a hour to get back. The section thru the field of mud just before the turn, how tough was that, I was so glad to get over that that I started felling good and full of running.

So far there where no real hills to speak of, a couple of small climbs either side of the ford but that was it, so now I'm expecting it to get hard.

There was a nasty little climb just after the turn and I did resort to walking but it is only short, no real problem.

The run in was quite a mix and with the wrong shoes quite treacherous, I took a few hefty tumbles and with about 3 miles to go went down twice in about 3 seconds cutting both my hands, my hip knee and back of my calf, this took the wind out of my sails and I took a while to get going again.

I was still just about up on the trains predicted time and past the worst of it.
    Turning off the farm road and on to the normal road I thought we went right but instead we went left which was uphill, this I didn't need, but I dug in and pushed on, at every marshall point I asked "how far?" and they all said "about half a mile" so that didn't really help.
    Crossing the main road I recognise a campsite and knew there was only a few hundred meters to go and I was still sure I was ahead of the train but not 100%, I crossed the line in 1:45:43 and beat the train, YEEHAAAAAAAA!

No need to eat my hat now.

Met Mr Happy which was nice, unfortunately didn't see anyone else, Mr Happy seemed to have enjoyed himself, I hope everyone else did.