La Santa 2006

Im planning on going out to La Santa for a training week next year, probably around March/April.

Speaking to a few others at the social (though ive forgotten who) it seemed a good idea.

Is anyone interested in coming along on a Pirate training trip?

Comments

• Oh and any advice or useful info from those that have been before would be much appreciated.
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    I presume there's a website? Isn't it full of super-athletes??

Do you know how to work a track pump? I'm desperate to get my tyres pumped up - I've just flattened one by mistake and am too much of a numpty to work the pump.
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    I'm not a numpty after all. I sorted it eventually. Phew.
  • Depends on the model but they generally have a double headed nozzle so you can use it on large or small valves, most road bike valves are small.

1st ensure the value nut things is unscrewed about 1-2 millimeters, give it a press and it should let out some air (if there is any left).

Attach the punp nozzle (its the grey side for small valves on my Topeack Joe Blow pump (yes it really is called Joe Blow).

Once the nozzle is on the valve there is a little lever on the nozzle you need to move 60-90 degrees to seal it on. On my pump I think the lever is turned inwards towards the wheel, i.e. it should be central (neutral) before you start and then moved once you have the nozzle on the valve.

Hope this helps, hard to explain.
  • lol after id written all that :o)

Well done.
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Thanks anyway Carl! I took off the thing that Mr D bought to make it easier to use, and it was much easier! I'm cycling 50 miles tomorrow - my longest ever. It's an organised ride from Edinburgh to Glasgow and a couple of other forumites are doing it too. Should be fun.
  • Good luck, just take your time and enjoy it.
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Thanks Carl. Will do. Unless it's pissing down and gale force winds, which is likely in Scotland!
  • good luck debbo - and no its not full of super athletes (although there are certainly a few!)

venom and i went last year and it was fab.

• debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Thanks M!

I quite fancy the triathlon training weeks in March. Sounds tough though, but I expect by then I'll think it's nothing to do a 2 hour bike followed by a 5 hour bike the next day!
  • i was planning to go to lanzarote to ride the bike course a few times, but i'm not sure about staying in la santa - it looked like a bit of a dump, and the theme tune is just about the most irritating song ever recorded. i'll probably stay in P del C.
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Is it like butlin's then candy? If so I'll forget it. I can't imagine why they would need a theme tune.
  • It's good debbo.

Yeah - they do have an annoying feeem tune, but thats to appeal to the little ones.

Accomodation is OK - nothing flash, but you're there to get out not spend time in your room.

Three organised runs in the morning at 8am.

Full day of all kinds of sports activities if you want - or just take the bikes out that you get for free. Coaching is available - most of it for free, and they organise a tri, duathlon, 10k, half marathon etc etc each week.

Kids club to take the kids off your hands for 3 hours at a time, and they have a place where they have shows at night if you like that kind of thing. I want to go back again next year, but need to save pennies....
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Cougie - yeah, I suppose they do have to cater for little ones. My little ones are far too big and lazy to want to go to a place like that so it would just be me and Mr D. I think I'll look into the tri training week, I could do the tri stuff and Mr D could sit by the pool and read his book.

Off soon for my big cycle to Glasgow. It's raining. I'm trying to work out how to take something dry to wear to come home, and something to put on my feet, and some food, and still only take a tiny rucksack...
  • sounds good Carl - I'd have to snchronise it with school hols though which many peeps won't want to do as it's more expensive
  • more expensive and also when all of the kids swimming clubs go

the accomodation is basic - but no worse in fact i'd say a lot better than your average package holiday. but the point isn't the accomodation its the fab facilities. organised runs/races - that you can do or not do. olympic pool - we had a lane to ourselves whenever we wanted one even on the week that 4 scottish swimming clubs were there. plus bikes to use as and when you want (plus group rides organised but if you are there as group you probably wouldn't want to do that)

• I guess if you went you wouldn't need to do the the swimming and cycling if you didn't want to, running bit sounds good and it may be the opportunity for a waterphobic to get some swimming lessons. Sounds good but when would folks be going? Must be mad thinking about this.

• I'll be aiming to do as much training as I can when there, swim, run and bike. Get coaching etc.

I dont mind when we go even if its a bit more expensive if over school holiday, depending on who's interested and personal circumstances its pretty likely all wont go together anyway.

Jane, we'll see who's interested start a LIST :o) and look at who can/cant do which dates etc.

As for accomodation I dont care how basic, ill be out there to train, as long as I have a bed ill be happy.
  • Of course you could just take a week off work and spend it training in this country.
    I never have seen the point of these things, unless you are going to be racing in those conditions and need to accimatise, I think you are better off training in real conditions which take a bit of 'get up and go' to make you do it. It's all too easy otherwise and doesn't make you tougher just fitter. And fitness is not enough for long distance.
    The best thing about them is the dedicated swim facilities which can help slow people make a breakthrough. A week of coached swim training would make a lot of difference to a slow swimmer, i.e. anyone under 1:20 for IM distance.
  • Thats just what I need re the swimming, the motivation to train will help to, not to mention a handy break from training in carp weather and have a bit of a laugh.
  • Yup - same for me Barley :o)
  • Smiffy - it's also very pretty round the pool.
  • Thats the trouble, it's too easy, there is a difference between enjoying your training and having a bit of a laugh. Thats why I wonder if you will ever give up smoking or lose that weight Carl, you need to move up a step now and build on your recent excellent success.
    Digging in and finding the mental strength is a very important factor not just in IM but in general life.

Cougs, I didn't realise the bike store was by the pool, isn't all that chlorine bad for carbon.
  • Im working on it mate and know what I have to do for next year, I do want to move up a level, there is no point continuing and just scraping round every race.
  • You dont do to bad you just need a bit more mental toughness.
  • Going to be embarrassing when Jules beats your times :o)
  • Thats why she is 'banned' from doing norseman ;o)
  • I'll be going again next year - Serpies are going 9th-16th March. Don't know whether you'd try to coincide or avoid but at least you know! :-)

• debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    9th-16th March is one of the long distance tri weeks, as is the week before. I'd like to go for one of them. Anyone else interested? For me the benefit would be the coaching and the opportunity to do some tough sessions in company.