Wednesday session 8 Jan

2»

Comments

• Update on what I actually did tonight...
    8 x 600m (2:10 avg) with 150m jog recovery followed by 3600m working at 5k pace for 480m then 120m Marathon pace recovery (14:55 total). Very icy, so we had to run wide & careful round the tarmac course accounting for the slower than usual times.
  • tried speedwork again
    i just cant
    Warm up, 2% incline, very slow jog 1 mile wrm up
    then suppose to do 1 mile in 9 mins x 3 with 00 m jog recovery
    Humph, i barely managed 500 metres at 10kph, with 200 or 300 WALK recoveries
    I just cant do it
    SOB
  • drewdrew ✭✭✭
    Hopeful Hippo, never give up! You can do it. It's just that maybe this isn't the right time for you to do speed work.

Before attempting speed work you must have a very good base fitness, otherwise you will have experiences like what you did tonight.

Probably more important for you to do lots of steady miles and improve your base fitness.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    hopeful hippo, don't be in despair! Maybe you're trying too hard. Why don't you start with your 1 mile jog warm up then do some 400m reps with walk recoveries and a mile cool down.

Do something achievable to get your confidence back up and it won't feel so hard. You don't need to be running flat out for speed work, just a little faster than normal to start with.

Cheer up, YOU CAN DO IT, KEEP TRYING!

One day You'll find it easier!

HAPPY RUNNING:)
  • But im trying to do that sodding 4,5 schedule
    Its too hard, i can do everytjing on it except the speedwork
  • Thankyou all, but i do want to improve on last years marathon
  • Hippo, don't despair! Last year I gave up on the speedwork sessions in the RW schedules as I was more concerned with getting the endurance developed. When I tried the speed sessions I had never recovered properly from my long runs, so decided to forget that for the time being.

Not saying you shouldn't keep at it, especially since you've already done a marathon, but it's not as important IMO as getting the miles and long runs in (my time was 4.08 with no speedwork in the end).
  • Managed a 32 minute plod. Temperature a degree or two higher than last night, but the air much damper & so lots more frost starting to appear.
    V tired - banked an hour or so of zzzzzs in front of the TV around 9.00.

Hippo - why set the incline at all if you want to do a speed session? That's just making it unnecessarily difficult.
    Ignore all the crap about how you should compensate for lack of wind resistance on the treadmill - set the incline to zero, and try some 500m reps to start with. Gradually extend the length of the reps, then - maybe! - if you want to add a "strength" element into the exercise - raise the incline a touch.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Hippo, I agree with Laura about the endurance being more important to begin with. I found with my first 2 marathons I didn't do any structured speed work and I automatically improved due to doing longer runs.

I used to sometimes just try to push a little harder over the last mile of every run be it 2 miles or 10, obviously it was hard work and I couldn't always push anymore than I was.

I think I'm just trying to show you you don't have to struggle with the training-well maybe just a tad!
  • Hi courageous Hippo -

just wanted to add my two cents worth of encouragement and echo the advice the others have given.

start with something you know you can achieve (with a little perspiration) and build up gradually from there. 1M reps are pretty daunting to start off with (they're actually pretty daunting at any time), so there's no way you should feel bad about your effort. and who knows, maybe you just had a bad day?

definitely drop that 2% incline for now, try for shorter distances (400m/600m/800m), lower the speed, take longer recoveries, do whatever you need to do. you can do it, it just make take a bit of time.

and if you really can't face it after all that, then just try and run a bit quicker for some of the time on some of your runs, which is basically tempo work and can be just as valuable for marathon training anyway.

bon courage!
  • Oh dear, partner and I both wimped out last night. Thought it too risky running on snow covered pavements. The problem in the part of London where we live is that the pavements are not very even and you have to be very careful even when you can see what you are running on. Better to miss one sesion than twist an ankle or knee and end up missing a week or two..