Canvey Island Rotary 10K

Got the race numbers through, but no route map. Anyone know what the route is like?

Comments

• I know of only 3 others doing this. No one else then?

Hello?

I take it there won't be much congestion.
  • I only got a race number and basic info sheet with my entry, no route map or location map of how to even get to race HQ!

if there is only three of us, then a trophy is guarenteed, 1st place in my case! ;)
  • Don't know anything about the race, it must be a new one, - but it will be very flat, although as it is traffic free, that suggests it may run along the sea wall so could be uneven. You can get an email address off the Rotary Club website, although the actual one for anvey does not seem to work.
  • Micksta, this might be your best chance of winning a race!

I've looked on MetCheck (they give forecasts up to 2 weeks) and it reckons we'll have howling gales... ok then, strong winds! Hope they change their minds!

I hate wind. I only chose this one because it's pancake flat and likely to be fast. The route would probably be zig zagging all over the place.
  • Hi everyone, new to this posting mallarchy. I'm doing this race this year. I think it is only in its second year, which is why not many people are familiar with it. For those not familiar with the area, I would recommend allowing a bit of time for traffic as there is only one road on to the Island, and there is numerous football pitches, therefore games which ko about the same time (leaving could also be fun). The course is apparently a mixture of road a trail, which suggests it is along the sea wall (although for those who have done the dreaded Benfleet 15 not all of it - WINDY). One thing you can guaranty is that it will be FLAT. Good Luck to those taking part.
  • JennyD:

Hmmm good chance of winning the thing then, but maybe my hopes of sub 35mins maybe down the toilet, if its howling gales on an exposed seafront course!
  • Just decided to do this one - if it does go along the sea wall then be prepared for scorching heat if it's a warm day. The Canvey Nicola's 5 earlier this year went along sea wall & it was like entering a furnace. Pheweeee!! See y'all there.
  • Did the 5k last year (was 2nd lady Woo weee)
    won't happen this year as i'm entered in the 5k.

We went off together the 5kers went along the sea wall and back the 10kers didbn't follow us unless they went along seawall in the 2nd half.

It was on this weekend last year and it was boiling hot

I Have done the Benfleet 15 and am alive to tell the tail.
    Even considering doing it again. Why????????????
  • Well what happened then- did anyone do this in the end and did Mick did you get that coveted first place and sub 35?
  • GRENDEL:
    Not sure yet, the race has not taken place! Its on Sept 11th.

But pretty confident I will be under 35mins! and possibly getting a nice trophy
  • Mick - I'll slink away and hide lol.

Not sure what made me think that it was last Sunday.

You shouldn't have much trouble breaking 35 minutes, I ran 35:04 on Canvey and I was just a run of the mill club runner, nothing special so you should get well under that time!

Mind that day we had a localy based Kenyan guy turn up and run around 32 minutes but he has retired/disapeared from the Essex scene (I think he discovered sex!! and stopped running)

Well good luck this Sunday then

• Could someone tell me where the start is please? Where is Castle View school?
    Thanks.
  • Meppel Avenue, Canvey Island, Essex SS8 9RZ

Looks like it is easy to get to - but be warned, there is only one road on and off the Island
  • Grendel:
    Well thats good news for me regarding the Kenyan runner, lets hope his sex life is still going great guns and he has not returned to his running career! lol

Is there likely to be traffic problems getting onto Canvey Isl on Sunday morning?
  • Probably not in getting on to the Island, but there may be some congestion getting off - presumably you will come along the A13 from the Tunnel (you'll need to head towards Tilbury, Basildon and Southend) You'll come to a series of mini roundabouts which really are a pig and quite confusing but CI is signposted (I think if you get into the outside lane as you apporach you shouldn't have any problems but shouldn't be to much in the way of congestion.) Haven't seen Amin's name in any results for a while now so don't think he will be there.

Good luck and look forward to hearing how you get on

If you are looking for another fast 10K just up the road in October is the Southend 10K - straight out and back along the seafront very fast, unless the wind is in the wrong direction but that is the same for any race. Standard there is around 32-34 for a placing.
  • Hi Everybody
    Some of you will know me as the race organiser of the Nicola 5, and hopefully you have enjoyed the experience of our event.
    The Rotary 10k is quite different, having a start similar to the Benfleet 15 before going a little further at Canvey Point, over some roads, and returning along the same stretch of sea wall. It is very flat, but the sea wall path can be tough on sensitive feet, a racer/trainer is ideal footwear. This is the second running of the race which John Tremain and his Rotary team stage very well. Last year I did the 5k with my daughter Lauren aged six. Safe for children even if running alone as it is on seawall path and grass. This year I'm going to do the 10k. Both courses have permits and measurment certificates. I hope you will join me in supporting this event - all proceeds to local charity.
    To get here, come onto the Island by either of the routes, there are two, slow down approaching the roundabout, look out for and go past the sport centre on your right and golf course on your left, turn left at the next roundabout and follow the road round into the school HQ. Traffice should not be a problem.
    I'll mention your comments about route maps and directions to John and I'm sure he will improve that for next year.
    See you Sunday, and have a good run.
  • STEVE KEMP
    Is there any entries on the day, ive entered but a couple of my clubmates are intresting in possibly running?

GRENDAL:
    Thank you for the info. Yes im actually doing the Southend 10k as well, then the GSR the week after, busy few weeks for me!

• Steve Kemp eh?

fancy bumping into you on here!! How is the running going, keep looking for you amongst the Assembly League results but not seeing you on there!! All the old names seem to be missing, no Tony Cummings etc (although Micky Bumstead appears from time to time and his son) speak to Keith Evans now and again and of course Terry Knightley.

take care

Andy Horlock
  • Mick, won't be at canvey Island but will def be at Southend (though only watching these days (although trying to get myself fit again) so will look out for you.
  • The Canvey Rotary 10k and 5k will be taking entries on the day.

Can I just reming everybody that in addition to RW, runningdiary.co.uk is a great site run by Chris Brown.

Andy H.
    Nice to see your message. Send me an email to nicola5run@tesco.net and we'll keep in touch.
    Steve
  • GRENDEL:
    I let you know my race number nearer the time, never know, I may actually be leading the race ;)

• I'll look foprward to see you leading along the sea front. last years times were quicker than they have been, winner round 30 minutes, and the first and the second and third both under 33 minutes and I think the top 10 were all under 34 minutes.

In the past this was a high class race, the course record is around 28:40 something, and in those long off days they stuck a big hill in after 2K (a bottle of champagne to the first to the top of the hill which made for a manic start!)
  • Grendel, If you go to the sea front you will be in the wrong place! The race goes along the sea wall facing the mainland. It is pretty much sea wall all the way except for a loop off at the far end so anyone slow(like me) meets the leaders coming back. It was very hot last year and the last bit where you come off the sea wall near the end was like running in a greenhouse. Anyway good luck to anyone doing the race this year. I will be at Audley End doing the Cancer Research run this year.
  • Bob thanks for that, but we talking about the Southend 10K, not Canvey, unfortunately can't get there on Sunday.

But good luck at Audley End.
  • oops sorry Grendel just didn't want to let you find yourself waiting for runners who never arrived! That will teach me not to get involved in other peoples threads
  • Bob you're welcome on the thread, to be honest not sure why I'm on it as not running or even watching, but it caught my attention in an idle bored moment - and I sort of got caught up with it.

Thanks again.
  • Micksta, you lead Southend?!?!? NO CHANCE! Well, suppose you could lead for the 1st 100m.

As to you leading Canvey? Adam Hickey might decide on a late appearance as a warm up to Southend, you never know!

See you sunday!
  • Or even Thurrock's Andrew Livingstone may turn up and turn Hickey over again - although both seem to have been quiet this summer.

lol and yes I do have ties with Thurrock Harriers if you wonder why I mad that comment!!
  • JENNYD:
    Pretty much joking regarding the Southend 10k, would be pleased to finish inside top 30 in that race :)

As for Canvey, I`m all for Hickey running as it gives me someone well known to chase and may pull me along to a good time!

• Ooh i'm loving this

Thurrock is my local club (not that i'm a member)

What about that kenyan that won southend last year (only joking) may he make an appearance.