Options

Another canned thread?..

124»

Comments

• Options
    I agree, America seems like a selfish country when you look at it from outside, I must sau having visitied various parts it wasnt like that for me and everyone I met was fantastic, probably different when your a British tourist though.
  • Options
    I think you'll find that most Americans have been greatly affected by this disaster, and as they have with other natural disasters around the world, are making generous donations and volunteering their time to assist with the rescue and recovery.

I hope that the spirit of charity and concern that the UK has shown in the past to sufferers of similar disasters is shown now, and that the anti-American feelings and prejudices don't make us look like the selfish, self absorbed ones.
  • Options
    Hubby and I were discussing this and wondered if we in the UK had suffered a similar fate to the southern states whether the British would behave any better and be better organised.

The disaster does cover hundreds of miles and has affected a large number of people. These people are now homeless, have no jobs and may have only what they are standing up in. Those affected most seem to be those who have the least. The southern states of america are the poorest and there is alot of poverty. These events have saddened me. Hope things improve from now on.

Another Runner I have read of no anti-American feelings here only concern that the so called richest nation in the world is struggling to cope with this.

Prehaps the US emergency departments have been concerning themselves too much with the threat of terriorism when natural disaster can be much more devastating.
  • Options
    Nothing personal to any American, just some of the actions of their Government I find hard to stomach.

Your point raises an interesting question though... Will there be a charity fund (though I assume there is already), pains me to say this and im likely to get attacked for it but..

I wont give anything purely on the basis that there are much more worthwhile causes, there are millions of people all over the world that live their lives in worse conditions than we see in New Orleans at the moment and id rather continue to support them.

USA 2004 GDP (Gross Domestic Product, in other words how much their economy gernerates each year) $11.75 trillion

Military Expenditure $370.7 billion (FY04 est.) (March 2003)
  • Options
    If this had happened anywhere in UK id of driven as close as I could and done what I could to help, id also of offered accomodation to someone for a reasonable period.

I hear President Bushes comments today on the news that hes sending another 7 (or was it 17) thousand troops to bring to total up to 40,000. USA has at least 1.2 million active service personnel of which at least 500,000 must be in USA (approx 250,000 in Iraq) where are they all, why wernt 50% of them sent in on day one? why still only 40,000 6 days later and not 200,000?

I gather they are now doing all they can but with the resources available in the USA and having had 6 days to mobalise them it seems appauling the situation continues as it is.
  • Options
    Another Runner, the US Government made it clear on day1 they didnt need any help!
  • Options
    Oh im not saying that in a sarcastic way, it was on the news.
  • Options
    I was just responding to the comment that Americans were selfish. I don't believe they are, they have many faults (as we all do), but I don't believe that is one of them. I thought it was particularly important to recognise this in the current situation.

I don't know if we would cope better - I certainly hope so, and I hope everyone learns lessons from this. But reality of disasters of this scale is that by their nature they make the usual rescue mechanisms impossible. It's like when we talk about Disaster Recovery situations at work - they work well in limited incidents, but something that took out the electricity and transport of London, and cut off all usual transport options is hard, if not impossible, to plan for.

I agree entirely with your analysis that the people most affected are those who had the least to begin with. People who had money, or somewhere else to go generally left before the real devastation hit.

I love New Orleans, I've spent many happy holidays there enjoying the annual Jazz Festival. I haven't really got my head round the reality of what has happened.... it's just all indescribably sad.
  • Options
    BB what if you yourself were affected and homeless, how far would you go to survive? Personally I may "help" myself to food and water to drink to survive and I hope I would help anyone I knew to eat and drink to. I don't think I could take it from another person though.
  • Options
    I would do what I had to including looting, which I consider necessary in the circumstances but only in terms of necessity, like I said above if your starving and thirsty and see a shop with food your going to take it (its probably all going to get dumped anyway) steeling other things like TV's then thats unnaceptable.

Im a very caring person (despite how I may come accross), if I was involved in this situation or anything where people needed help id do all I could, I think thats just a natural instinct.
  • Options
    I can't argue with any comments on the handling of the rescue efforts, nor would I waste any time defending the waste of space that is George Bush.

But I won't judge the need of the people affected by the ineptitude of their government, anymore than I would withhold support from those affected in a country run by a corrupt dictator.

There is a Red Cross fund, as there was following 9/11, and as there is in London following 1/17. It is a fund to which many Americans (and non-Americans like me) have donated. Whether this is the most worthy cause at this particular moment in time is an argument I won't get into, as I think that very subjective judgement is one that can always be questioned.

• Options
    Jane, if your talking pure survival I know it seems harsh but in a life and death situation I think most people however much they would like to think they wouldnt would revert to a intinctive means of self preservation, and if that means kill or be killed I think the former would prevail.

There was an interesting parrellel of this at the Manchester air disaster when the plane caught fire on the runway, sadly about 50 people died but witness accounts are of very fierce fighting towards the back of the plane but I guess when your clothes are on fire youll do anthing to escape. Human panic and fight/flight instincts are natural, all be it that if there hadnt been panic and fighting on the plane maybe more people would have survived but that doesnt stop indicidual acting with whatever means they consider necessary to save their own lives.
  • Options
    I may give some money to the Red Cross then.
  • Options
    (I have no idea what the heck 1/17 is - I was trying to type 7/7.....think I'll have to give up hopes of being a court stenographer...)
  • Options
    I hope i wouldnt take form another person
    but if it was for my children i might

(have no kids)
  • Options
    Oh and im not drawing any parellels to the criminal/gang mentality of a minority of people in New Orleans who see the disaster as an excuse to go on an orgy of crime (taking food/water/clothing excepted), these people deserve to be shot by the police.
  • Options
    Personally I think the media does it's best to cloud the reality, not deliberately but by default in that it can not show the whole picture and the visual image of 100 people looting is much more powerful than a million people not looting.

It's a minority looting, it may well be a minority of police preotecting stores while other police rescue victims, we don't know the facts.

• Options
    I was watching the BBC's drama documentary about Dunkirk the other day. Comparing the two events shows just how the world has changed in just over half a century. People risked their own lives to save the lives of others. Now, it seems that an 'everyone for himself' mentality has taken over with no consideration for the weak and vulnerable.

I'm not naive enough to think that it would be any different in the UK if the same catastrophe were to happen here. Some people would be prepared to steal,attack others, and murder in these exceptional circumstances, even accepting the fact that we don't have the widespread gun ownership of the US.

I don't agree with the shoot to kill policy for looters. What good does that do? Are we really saying a human life is worth less than a TV or a microwave ?
  • Options
    I think there is a completely different culture in Britian to that of the USA, if you just take the example of New Orleans you have the remaining 20,000 or so predomenantly Black an Hispanics that live below the poverty line, as quite rightly reported on the news these people are often overlooked.

A by product of this is the crime and gang culture that proliferates in such area's the widespread availability of guns and numbers of drug users and gang members further compounds this hence the capacity to commit crime and create disorder and potentially discourage act of humanity are so so much higher.

The situation of such large pockets of people that live in the USA in this way is not reflected anywhere else in Western Democracies, even given the poverty in the UK this is thankfully (though unsatisfactorily) represented by fewer numbers and less willingness to commit crime even if you look at some of the worst ares's of UK eg East London, Glasgow, Liverpool etc.

Its the scale of the numbers and the embeded feeling of hopelessness in which these people live that magnifies the problem in New Orleans etc.

I saw a programme about LA a short while ago which said the equivilent of a 911 happens every year in terms of gun deaths (3000 in LA alone) yet the government have done little to even police the poverty and crime ridden area's and seem unable or willing to combat the problem. In all approx 20,000-25,000 people are killed by guns in the USA each year, most of them black on black murders. In the UK although our population is about 15% of USA approc 30 people are murdered by gun crime each year.
  • Options
    Yet the US Government still spend over $370 billion of defence and over $100 billion on space exloration each year...

I think its time for them to get back to basics which is really what the original canned thread was about. Regrettably I chose to use less appropriate and poorly worded comparisions and dwelled to much on the USA interferring overseas by pursuing matters of self interest.