Options

Anyone running for the Blue Cross

I'm running the FLM for The Blue Cross Charity which look after and rehome unwanted cats and dogs ( and bigger animals as well).

Just wondering if anyone else had been given a goloden bond place with them.

Comments

• Options
    Not me HTA but it sounds like a brill charity I'm running for the PDSA!

Good luck!
  • Options
    I was going to run for the PDSA, I got my cats from them Wolfy - Used to live just down the road from them - but moved and now The Blue Cross and really closs to me.

There must be something wrong with me - buying house's close to animal sacturies LOL
  • Options
    Apart from Cancer research last year at FLM I've always ran for an animal sanctuary in Lancashire but thought I'd give PDSA a go. I absolutely love animals (especially cats) and one of my cats came from the sanctuary a couple of years ago!

I remember the first marathon I ran (manchester) and at the 23 mile mark I was feeling a bit pooh and I saw a dog limping down the road, no collar, no mum or dad to look after him and it really spurred me on.

Some people don't like giving to animal charities as they don't consider them as worthwhile as Cancer and stuff but at the end of the day somebody has got to help the defenceless sweeties haven't they!!!

Sorry to go on, I'll get off my soap box now!
  • Options
    You want to know what we've got - 2 Dogs 5 cats, and 35 fish.

Thought it was worthwhile.

Have a butchers at www.themysterymachine.org - the tanks on there
  • Options
    HTA wow you have your hands full, am desparately trying to convince Mr Wolfy that I need another cat wan't a ginger one this time!

Looked at website, pictures are fab, fish are so relaxing aren't they except when you have to clean them out I suppose!

Any pics of the dogs and cats would love to see them!
  • Options
    I'll see what I can sort out Wolfy - The pics of the tank were taken in October - by begining of Xmas week they looked even better - everything had grown loads - then on Xmas Eve, the tank deceided to half empty itself - We've lost a few of the corals, but at least its getting back to normal again....... Great way to spend Christmas - Cleaning up a flooded kitchen.

You going to get your new cat from the PDSA then? Make it run the FLM with you? Joking apart, are you allowed to have dogs join you half way round the course?? I remember my Dad always took our Springer Spaniel with him when he did the Wolverhampton Marathon?
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Wolfy

There are some fab cat piccies at www.mycathatesyou.com - go to "P" and find Pajama - he could be your brother.
  • Options
    I don't think there is any chance of me getting a new cat as Mr Wolfy doesn't particularly like them except when he doesn't think I'm around and I catch him snuggled up to them on the sofa!!!

I don't think dogs are allowed but I can imagine that a good fit dog would be a super companion on training runs, can't have a dog either....mind you it's a good think cos I'd be as bad as you if given half the chance!
  • Options
    Too true Wolfy, We both want another dog now, but trying very hard not to give into the temptation. LOL

Jess (my springer) was a great running companion until last night where after 1.5 miles she buggered off home, and it took me 30 minutes to find her LOL
  • Options
    What a bizzare website!!! Pajama was ace and especially liked Pokey!
  • Options
    A dog would be a great pal for a female runner to as I often can't go off the beaten track when on my own and if I had a massive dog with me my routes could be more flexible!
  • Options
    Hmmmmmmmm, isn't this supposed to be the RW forum ?

I'm in the marathon, but have not chosen a charity. My wife would love it if I ran for an animal related charity, so I'll check out Blue Cross - Thanks !!
  • Options
    Their really cool Keitho, If you go to www.justgiving.com/denzil there is a link in there to the charity
  • Options
    Soz Keitho just two mad animal enthusiasts!

Would be great if you do run for animals whatever the charity!

Well done!
  • Options
    Thanks Wolfy/HTA. Since I got my place, my conscience has been playing havoc with me, as I feel that you should run for charity in the FLM. I've always been put of by the Golden Bond places, as I don't have enough friends to raise the ten grand that they all seem to expect. My plan was to go the local destitute animal shelter, who I presume will welcome me with open arms. I presume they're partly funded by the Blue Cross.

I still think you're both odd though!! Pajama is the most frightening thing I've seen all year.
  • Options
    Keitho Pajama is gross but when you love animals you see through the ugliness!!!

I agree about FLM people seem more keen to sponsor you for the well known races, I do a couple of marathons a year now but only do charity once a year as you can ask too much sometimes!
  • Options
    Which other one do you do Wolfy?? Am thinking of doing the Cardiff Marathon in September - do the race, then prop the bar up afterwards !!!

Would love to do the New York Marathon as well, but cant be bothered to spend loads of money to get there.
  • Options
    I agree Wolfy. I ran the Great North Run and the Wilmslow Half Marathon for a local kids club in Bolton. Because of this, I frequently receive requests for them to run anytime there is a race in the area, but there comes a point when people shun you if you're waving a sponsorship form.

I think Mrs Keitho would like me to run for Blue Cross (or something similar), so in for a penny..........!!!
  • Options
    Did FLM and Dublin last year. This year doing FLM and Milan and maybe (training run only) Potteries.

Plan is to do a new one in a different country every year but to do FLM as much as possible. Got guaranteed good for age place this year due to OK time last FLM so if I achieve my goal at FLM this year hope to get guaranteed entry for 2004.

New York is defo one on my list to do and could be bothered to spend loads of money to get there but can't fit the travelling in with family holidays and stuff.

Am off to Toronto in May where I'll take part in 10k whilst there unfortunately no halfs on during my stay!
  • Options
    Thats a shame isnt it Wolfy - that would have been lovely. Whats the Dublin like - Might have to give that a thought - think of the guiness afterwards LOL. What time you hoping for anyway Wolfy?

Its also amazing how many people never receive your emails as well when you have a sponsorship event Keitho - sent a mail to about 150 friends and colleges, and two people said they would help :-(
  • Options
    When I attended a team meeting, I sat next to the person who I thought would be the most generous. He sponsored me for £5, and everyone followed suit. 50 quid without any real effort!! (apart from the actual run of course)

• Options
    I know but a 10k will do as I don't want to be too anti-social with Mr Wolfy and mate that I'm visiting!

Dublin is brill and the flights and accommodation are cheap. I met loadz of other forumites out there who are good pals now and we are running Milan together. The crowd support is OK not brill but the rest of it was cool.

I'm hoping for 3:18 at FLM and if I achieve that will go for sub 3:15 in Milan. What about you?

I have created one of those websites for the PDSA charity thing so people pledge directly on there I shall also go round with paper form too for those that don't trust the internet and debit/credit cards!

Keitho, very good tactic have done similar myself and I often wait until they are tired on a Friday eve and blag them by saying 50p or £1 mile that usually works, they are too lazy to work it out!
  • Options
    LOL Wolfy Love your style !! Best way to do it.

This is my first race Wolfy, Hoping just to be able to do 4hrs 20, but idealy would love to get inside 4hrs.
  • Options
    I paced a couple of first timers at Dublin as I was running with Mr Wolfy who was injured and a first timer himself. The were looking for 4.30s and came in a lot quicker so you never know! Just keep it easy for the first half and if you feel good at 13 then pick the speed up. You'll love FLM its the best!
  • Options
    I only do one speed Wolfy LOL !!! Plod 10Min Miles

Cant wait - already dreaming about it (How sad am I!!)
  • Options
    Not sad it truly is an experience that I'll never forget and I don't know anybody who has regretted doing it regardless of their running level!

If you need any support over the next couple of months in your preparation don't hesitate to ask!

Ps there will be a number of forumites meeting up pre and post FLM if you fancy it everyone is welcome to join us
  • Options
    HTA, trust me you're not sad, I can't wait either. I was rejected in the initial ballot, but got in via a club place. It will be my first (and possibly only) FLM. I'm looking for 3.30ish, but have never raced beyond 18 miles, so have never experienced the mythical 20 mile wall.

Best wishes with the training, and see you at the start line.
  • Options
    Wolfy, I've heard a rumour about URWFRC baseball caps for the big day - any truth in this.
  • Options
    Keitho you have heard right keep your eye on the URWFRC thread for more info, its a great idea for those of us running for charity!
  • Options
    I would love to meet up pre FLM Wolfy, not sure abouts afterwards as the blue cross are chucking a huge party and I have most of the family down to watch.

Keitho, there is someone designing some caps and t shirts, and theres a thread posted on about page 3 in. I've already got me caps sorted - Chrimbo pressie off mrs Alci - Got Hot Tub Alci on the back and Denz on the front, but as the both of you will be in front of me maybe I should turn it around so you can see it over your shoulder LOL