Options

Lyke Wake Race

Comments

• Options
    Im sorry to sound negatvie-but i am really worried about this-especially as i now know what to expect
    My game plan will be to run as much as possible early on to make the bloody cut off
  • Options
    Good good.

Gotta go now. See ya later.

Oh, btw, will i be ok with 1 pair of running shoes for this? Don't want to be having to carry a dry pair or anything like that.
  • Options
    er
    I wore runningtrainers and carried walking boots which i changed into at mile 18 for the boggs
    others had trail shoes
    may look in to trail shoes
  • Options
    I've got some trail shoes but never run further than 13 miles in them. Not sure i'd want to either. My ankles ached really badly. I've got rubbish weak/floppy ankles so think i'll stick to my hurricanes. I've run off-road in them over long distances and they seem fine.
  • Options
    Ellie
    you might have gone-but if it is boggy-you might want boots

The ankle issue is one that worries me too
  • Options
    The only way to deal with this bar steward is a real strategy
    and timetable
  • Options
    Sounds like a good idea.
    Do you want to have a go at a timetable etc because you know what to expect. I haven't got a clue except the terrain will be tough and hilly. I know there's a railway line we can run along for a bit but that's about the limit of my knowledge!

You can email me if you want. I'm pretty sure it's enabled, although i can't check my account at work anymore damn them!

My pace is slow! I can run half mara distance (although on flattish road) without a walk. Then i'll need regularish walk breaks. Although i'm assuming we may need regular walk breaks from the start depending on terrain.
  • Options
    well, i know what to expect up to mile 37/38

we will indded be doing run walk
    what is your off road pace like?

how quickly do you walk

the railway line is very runnable
    so is the bit after sheepshit hill before the climb down that will take me ages cos i am scared
  • Options
    I will feel better with a plan

even thougbh i can hardly walk at the mo
  • Options
    Hmmm, i'm a very slow walker i'm afraid. At a brisk pace i can do 15min/mile. Lets say 18 min/mile for a slowish walk.

Really not sure on the off-road pace cos i don't usually time myself on those runs. I'd reckon at 11 min/mile. Probably nearer 12 if it's uphill or really tough terrain. I'm doing an off-road hilly race in 2 weeks so i'll take my Garmin along to monitor pace.
  • Options
    Ooooh, sounds nasty. I hope they recover soon.
  • Options
    oh they will

they have to

i have a race the day after tomorrow and another on sunday

but that ultra was HARD

15 min mile is a GOOD walking pace
    thats fine!

so-off road lets say 3.5 mph, maybe 3

12 min miling is fine too i think

you see, overall-42 miles, 12 hours-overall 3.5 mph

and actually
    we only have to make the cut off at 31 miles

(if only they could take out the downhills_)
  • Options
    Good grief, that's a tough schedule, take care of those legs!

I thought i'd made it hard for myself with a race pretty much every weekend in June and July! Thankfully most are short, apart from this and a half 2 weeks later anyway!

3.5 mph overall doesn't seem so bad. I feel better now.

I'll hold your hand on the downhills but you need to return the favour on the bogs.

I watched an episode of Casualty a few weeks ago where an XC runner got stuck in a bog and nearly disappeared. Am having visions of that being me!

• Options
    every weekend------------

THUD

er, the boggs were ok the second time i did this

just

boggy
  • Options
    Glad you're up for it hippo, thought you where having doubts at one point.

I always try to work out some sort of timetable - then ignore it after the first mile.

Tend to think I might be starting around the same time as both of you
  • Options
    Ive had doubts right from the beginning an23818

still got them
  • Options
    I did Dartmoor too and really enjoyed it. I am thinking about this one but worried as there seems to be less support along the way and I will be doing it on my own.
  • Options
    Closing date for applications is 17th June
  • Options
    Don't worry, you won't be alone Hippo!

Anyone else starting at 4 (i think) and wants to run/walk with us is most welcome. I'm hoping to beat the 12 hours but not fussed if not. The aim is to complete it.
  • Options
    let me just get this marathon on sunday out of the way and then i will be planning tactics
  • Options
    Excellent Hippo. That sounds much more positive. I am really looking forward to this now.

Good luck on Sunday. I'll be thinking of you as i race a mere 10 miles!
  • Options
    I wouldnt sayIm looking forward to it-but----------

• Options
    Hope the mara went well Hippo.

My 10 was a nightmare of a race due to heat and a 2pm start. Took it steady and finished 18 mins slower than last year. Had a great time though!

3.5 weeks to go now!
  • Options
    Can anyone recommend a campsite nearby to the start? Will only be a small two person tent so don't want to spend a fortune. May yet do B&B but I am trying to watch the pennies.

Also, does anyone know the approximate cost of a taxi for the return to Osmotherley and if they are easy enough to find?
  • Options
    right
    this is hard

ellie-im sorry, but i just cant do this
    I know what i am doing, as I wsas in the same situation on the other side of the fence 2 years ago
    But i am exhausted after that ultra and marathon

Thing is, in 2004, I attempted both Lyke Wake and the 50 mile challenge.That resulted in two DNF, although how I managed 38 miles followed by 33 miles when Id only ever done a couple of ultras before is beyond me.I was ill for a week afterwards, and certainly didn’t race again until September.I have just done an extremely hilly ultra, and seriously underperformed in the hilly marathon a week later as a result.I don’t mind that so much(indeed, I expected it),but I have to look ahead to my racing schedule for the rest of the year.I really, really want to complete the 52 miler this year-it’s a fantastic event, with a cutoff that’s realistic for me, and it will be the longest distance I have ever done.I would like to enjoy my holiday away after that without being ill, and I would like to be in a fit state to do my two events in August, and, more importantly-be in shape for the serious racing season of September and October.I don’t think that this will be possible if I do Lyke Wake.
    Also, and perhaps more importantly-there is no point me doing Lyke Wake if I don’t make the time cut-off, because I will then be recorded as a DNF, and it wont count for 100 marathon club.
    Again, being realistic, I don’t think that cut off is possible for me, particularly given my fear of downhills. And this year is all about getting my marathon tally up.

I am so , so sorry
    i hate myself for this decison-but there is no other way

sorry
  • Options
    Hippo

It will be sad not to see you at the starting line, but I do agree with your reasoning.

Good Luck
  • Options
    Hippo, don't worry about it. Was a bit upset at first but then i've had a bad few days work wise. Am feeling ok about it now.
    Take care ((()))

Before i pull out does anyone starting at 4 want a slow run/walking partner?!
  • Options
    :((
    Indeed
    And , yes, i will worry about it-but that isnt your problem Ellie

I didnt post this yesterday-and i should have
    It was very likely i would have been a liability to you on the course, and may even have stopped yuo from finishing given my pathological fear of downhill
  • Options
    Hippo
    Sorry you wont be there, but I do understand your reasoning. Another year maybe? Good luck with the rest of the runs.

Ellie
    There are plenty of other starters at 04:00 that should, in theory, be of the same pace as you.

Mustava Banana
    There is a campsite just outside the village on the road up to the start. Gets busy though at weekends during summer and it's best to book.
    Cote Ghyll Caravan & Camping Park
    Osmotherley, North Yorkshire DL6 3AH - England, UK
    Phone: +44 (0)1609 883425