Polar RS200

Comments

• I've had my polar RS200SD for 3 weeks and haven't had any of the heart rate jumping problems that you mention, the only issue that I have had is with calibrating, it really under measured the distance covered. I have calibrated it now but find that it varies dependent on the type of terrain. It sounds like none of you have experienced those types of problems though so maybe its my running style?

Not looking forward to it all locking up! Good to hear that it retains the data.
  • SJ, since calibrating it, I have found it to very consistent to the runs I used to do with a GPS.In fact I ran a 14.4 mile out an dback run last monday,turning round at 7.2 miles and the second half took me back to the start with exactly 7.2 miles on the second lap.

Is it possible to buy a spare footpod clip so I can transfer the pod easily form shoe to shoe.I had a quick look on the web but cannot find one.
    HAS anyone used Ownindex at all?
  • Hi all, I love my RS200 but it has locked up on me a few times, am terrified of it happening during a race!
    Also, apologies for this very un-techy question, but I'm about to do my first race using a racing chip. Does anyone know whether this could interfere with your HRM, particularly the data from the footpod?
    Also, once you've calibrated the footpod once, will it stay accurate or should you calibrate it regularly? I calibrated mine in September when I got it and it has always seemed ok. But my last couple of speedwork runs have gone so well I'm worried it's showing a pace that's faster than I'm actually running!
  • For anyone interested in the footpod technology the Speedmax white paper may be of interest: www.dynastream.com/datafiles/ SpeedMax%20White%20Paper%20v4_1.pdf
  • Hi everyone!

I got a RS200sd for crimbo (my first running watch, yay! ) and am still in the process of getting my head around all the functions! Just wanted to check with some of you more experienced users: is it OK to wear both the HRM and the footpod when racing? The manual says being near another runner with a computer can cause interference and I figure there might be quite a few lined up at the start on race day...
  • Hi Catherine, I've used mine in a race and it was fine, I think it's encoded or something. But it was just a small local race so no raacing chips...will have a look at that article that t&s sent round, thanks t&s!
  • How come you can't set to do 1/4 mile intervals?
  • The RS200sd and footpod doesn't interfere with a racing chip and haven't had a problem with interference in races from other HRM's.

Have been using it for the past 5 months and retentively logging the data for every run to try and improve my 10k times, whilst doing a more balanced mix of long runs, tempo, interval, and recovery runs.

Have never bothered calibrating it, but the results are pretty consistent.
    Always monitor the average pace per km per lap for every run.

Managed a good improvement recently on my 10k PB with this approach and following the pacing in "The Runners Handbook".

The pace function is useful in a race if you are tired/lazy at around the 7km mark and are following the runner in front to make sure they are going quick enough :)
  • I used my RS200SD for the first time in a race at the Great South Run, which was very busy and used timing chips. I had no interference problems with it at all.

The only issue I had was that it showed my calibration to be a bit out. It beeped the first mile about 50m too early, the 2nd 100m too early and so on, so by the time I got to the end it said I'd completed 10 miles about 500m too short - a bit demoralising but easy to fix for next time by adjusting the calibration factor.
  • Sorry there should be no spaces in the link to the Speedmax white paper above (remove the space between "/" and "speedmax".
  • Wow, thanks everyone for the swift replies, really appreciated - I'm such a newbie to this running technology!
  • Morning all. Very excited today - trained on a 400m track this morning and my beloved RS200 was clocking exactly 400m, running at varying speeds. So think it's pretty accurate!!
  • After calibrating my 200 everything was fine until I removed the pod and changed the battery.My normal mile loop was measuring a bit short,-and to cap it all, I bought new shoes this week and put the pod on them,same type of shoe,same place and today I ran a half marathon.The measurement came out at 13.79 miles.Have I got to calibrate this thing everytime there is a slight variation in its postion on my foot.Assuming it is 97 percent accurate from the box,once calibrated it shouldn't vary that much, should it?
  • Moved my pod onto a new pair of shoes for the Watford half marathon on Sunday, and it measured it at 13.79 miles.
  • Re-calibrated my pod.Originaly it 1.069 and now it is 1.046.
    I've just posted an email to polar regarding the running pod.
  • Changed my shoes from Asics GT2100 to GT2110 and have had to calibrate watch to 9.96....
  • Ok my excitment from the track session a couple of weeks ago has been somewhat tempered. Ran a 10k race yesterday and my RS200 measured 10.44k. If it's accurate then I'm well chuffed as I knocked loads of my PB. If the course was accurate then I'm a bit frustrated (although still happy about my PB!) as that's quite a margin for error and it means the pace display, which I rely on so much during training and racing (probably too much) is way off. Others on the race forum since yesterday aren't sure of the distance, some seem to think it was short, others long, and someone else measured it at 10.7k...
  • There is a load of info re. accuracy of the S1 pod on the 625x thread.(They use the same pod). There is also a reply I received from Polar about changing shoes.

I have calibrated the pod for a third time today since Christmas and have got a third different result.Today was quite large(1.1) over 5.2k.I jogged to a running track which is just over 5 miles from my home and there was just a slight difference between my GPS and 200,nothing anybody would be concerned about. After calibration I ran home. The GPS showed 5.2 and my watch showed 5.53 which is unnacceptable.

I am going to get a surveyors wheel(£13 a day ),measure a few ks from my home and use this distance to warm up AND calibrate, that way I can swap the pod from shoe to shoe and the only real difference would be my running style
  • since I recalibrated my watch to 9.96 I am hitting the same mile point (which, I am pleased to say, corresponds to the mile marker on web based programme) every time.

So, seems to have worked.
  • So to sum up, if I have the money to buy an Rs200sd - should I or not?

Do the benefits outweigh a monthly re-calibration?
  • Tin Tin .....
    I would say yes buy it ( from treadbear they are the cheapest ) . Even without calibration the max the distance should be out is 300m over 10K . If you are using it to keep a track of how far you have run off road then is this calibration really a huge issue ? Mines was less than 1 % out measured against my old GPS .
  • Steveo - fantastic thanks for the advice both here and the other thread.
  • Tin Tin, I agree with Steveo. Even with the occasional inaccuracy, my training has been so much better informed than it would have been without my RS200 and it has helped me make huge progress over the last 6 months. Stock up on AAA batteries for the footpod though!
  • fantastic - I'll tell the wife to get he rpurse out.
    She'll be well chuffed. Thanks.
  • I bought the RS200SD at the weekend and after a few runs, anm very pleased with it. I hav etested it both indoors and outdoors and am astonished at how accurate it is without calibration. It was 0.01 KM on the treadmill over 5K when I checked it and outdoors it was less than 0.01 miles out on a measured 2 mile run. Very impressed!!

It is also very easy to read and understand (never having used one before) and I was very surprised how easily it helped me vary my pace to achieve the correct pace and desired heart rate range.

However, I tried to upload data using my laptop (inbuilt microphone and external microphone) but was unsuccessful (I have already registered with polar.fi) but it tells me I am getting no answer from the watch! Any ideas/
  • Hi Viffer,

Does your watch beep properly at other times? I had the same problem with mine cos the sound chip wasn't working at all. As the watch uses sound to transfer data, this meant that this didn't work. Had to send it back and get a new one.
    Otherwise, check that your PC is properly enable to send data to the internet as well as receive - I had to change the settings on my wireless broadband (actually sat there being pathetic and asked hubby to do it for me...!) - remember the running coach is a website not software on the PC.

Hope this helps!!
  • Yeah, the sound chip is working OK. I can hear the data chirping away trying to send. I reckon that either the laptop mic is not good enough or there is too much ambient noise, causing interference. I'll try it from my home PC later today and see if it works.
  • Hi Viffer, I have this problem on and off, sometimes it works very quickly and sometimes it seems to take lots of goes to get it to send. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. (Although I am a bit computer-illiterate.) Would be very interested if anyone has any tips!
  • Hi!

Have just thought of something else. Make sure you hold the back of the watch to the microphone (not sure why this helps but it seems to). And make sure its quiet when you transfer the data as well otherwise it seems to get a bit confused.

May help?
  • HELP!!! My Polar has totally locked up on me. Nothing is happening when I press any of the buttons. I've tried resetting it by pressing all 4 side buttons simultaneously but still nothing. I've also tried using the unlock function and nothing, although this isn't surprising I guess as the keylock symbol isn't displayed. All the Polar help desks seem to be closed for Easter. Does anyone have any ideas at all as to what I can try next or if there is anywhere in London I can take it? Don't want to have to send it up to Warwick to have it fixed. HELP!!!!!