What is a good/average time for a 3K, 5K and 10K?

124»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Parkrun UK says average time is 28.12. But this includes both male and female and all ages, so hard to translate to a specific age/sex.
  • > @Mac said:
    > I think that anywhere under 1 hour is a good target to start with for most "normal" people who don't live and breath running and are not typically built like gazelles or cheetahs.
    > You will know after that first race (providing you genuinely give it your 100% best) what you may be capable of achieving with more training and can take it from there.
    > We are all different and you need a point of reference to start with.
    > If you aim for under 1 hour and achieve 40 mins then you know you can re-calibrate your expectations and training accordingly.
    > Enjoy your running and you will get quicker anyway.
    > Too much emphasis on times, at least to start with will turn it into a chore rather than a joy.
    > Most of us have lives, partners, families and jobs that come first, we can't all become immersed into running, most of us don't have that luxury or to be frank the desire.
    > Run for fun, keep fit, enjoy it for the sheer thrill of being in the top % of people in the country who can even run 1 mile and relax.
    > Your times will improve organically anyway and as I said you can tailor your "serious" training runs around your goals as long as they don't totally replace your runs for pure pleasure.
    > My best runs have been when I'm relaxed and enjoying the thrill of being healthy as I enjoy (sometimes) the scenery.
    > It's great to be competitive but we're not all like that.
    > That's my opinion...others are available  ;)

Thank you, I've been running for around 8 months mainly for fitness and because it makes me feel so much better. My times are far from great but are slowly improving and I'm not fussed on what they are, the only thing I like is when I do better than I have before but then there are times I don't manage that and I think that's okay too because there are a million reasons why that might be and I still went out and ran and I think that counts for something.

Anyway, I was feeling really disheartened reading this thread but then I skipped ahead to the end and saw this which made me feel better.
  • kmo86kmo86 ✭✭✭
    I think a lot of early posts on this are very short times. For me 31 year old woman who had never ran before only started doing bits of running less than a month before a 5k. Did mix of slow jog and fast walk all way completed in 50 min. Month and half later which was actually yesterday slow jog all way did in 46 min. That’s for 5k so it’s unlikely a beginner could do 10k in under an hour. Beginner being someone who has never ran before it takes time to be able to keep running for longer periods.