Options

Kinfd Advice needed!!

2»

Comments

• Options
    Ok, so it's 2 years and 3 months since anyone posted on this thread, but I want to say something. I used to smoke. I started at 16, and then when I was 18, I wanted to lose weight and get fit - so I went for a run. I think I managed about 100 metres before I had to stop - it felt like someone had got a cheese grater and was using my lungs for the cheese. 6 months later, after I had stopped smoking and continued running, I was OK. If you're still out there, how are your lungs now?
  • Options
    Still not smoking. Lungs variable, but even on a 'bad' day, much better than many of the rest of the poulation without asthma.

2 years and 3 months! Methinks it's time to dig those old running shoes out of the cupboard and put down the books for an hour.
  • Options
    As someone who has been involved with the only charity dedicated to eradicating lung cancer for many years can I say "well done" to all those on this thread who have managed to give up smoking.
    It isn't easy but you have just made a major positive contribution to improving your future health.

Good luck with the running -it can only get better from here.
  • Options
    I was doing some searching on the Internet concerning ex-smokers and runners and found this thread. Even though the entries are somewhat dated, the theme is definitely alive and well. I just quit smoking one month ago and immediately engaged in a running program. At first, it was not easy, but I feel the the body and lungs are coming along. What disturbs me is the periodic wheezing, perhaps asthma, that I sometimes encounter. I feel, however, that after a time this will eventually stop. I expect that by the third month, breathing should be returning to normal. At least, that's what I'm hoping for. I currently am running approximately 2 miles on nightly runs, with a 4-5 miler on Sundays. Also doing some gym work. Anyway, my kudos to those of you who have stopped smoking. Keep it up. Good luck.
  • Options
    BeansBeans ✭✭✭
    It will be three years for me on January 1st and I definately believe that the passion I have developed for running is what keeps me off them. I know if I smoked I could never manage to run.
  • Options
    I wish that I had quit three years ago. Hell, I wish that I never started. To think where I might be, in terms of physical fitness, had I excercised and not smoked, is aggravating. But, better late than never. I completely agree that the running wards off the desire. I had tried to quit a couple of times prior to this, but with no excercise it always ended in failure. This time, the urge to go back was almost totally nipped at the bud by the running. I really want to build some miles and then participate in some events, 10k's, etc. Wouldn't mind joining a running club, but it would be difficult. I work two jobs and generally have to run late at night, or maybe on a Sunday during the day. Difficult to find people at such times.
  • Options
    BeansBeans ✭✭✭
    Hi Chuck, I think the trouble with giving up is that it takes so damn long until you can genuinely say that you don't feel like a fag. For me that was a full 12 months during the day and 18 months when having a drink. I am rather thick headed however and I really wanted to give up.

I too wish I had quit smoking and started running years ago, but no point dwelling. I'm just glad that I have reached this point now.

I tend to do all my runs on my own except the occasional longer one with my brother when he wants to go really really slowly! But I feel proud that I have built up from a walk run programme where I struggled to run for 60 seconds in the beginning to my long run (allbeit very slowly) last Sunday of 7 miles with only two short walk breaks.

It must be hard to fit in the running with two jobs but just be creative and slot them in where you can.
  • Options

Gave up News Years Eve, so I know its early days. Social smoker for 20 years but now time to stop.

Out for first 'post ciggie' run tonight!!
  • Options
    Beans,

Good point stated regarding not dwelling on the past. Besides, since the time I wrote my last entry, some significant progress has occured. Can run at a good pace (well, for me that's about a 9 minute mile) for 5 miles, which has been a thrill. In fact, greeted the new year with a midnight run in central park. Must have been about 5 or 6,000 of us there that night. Awesome run under a canopy of trees and fireworks. In fact, met some folks from Britain; they told me to keep up the training and come over in the near future for a shot at the London Marathon. There'll be lots of work from here to there, but it sure would be a gas. Kudos to Richard Powell 6 for giving up the smokes. It's been almost two months for me, and I feel a hell of a lot better. I'm sure you will too.
  • Options
    I started running about 3 weeks ago and was then a smoker, but since I was having difficulties with my breathing I decided it was smoking or the running I'm happy to say that the running won and havent had a cigarette for just over a week now and must say found the running (or should say breathing) a little easier.
  • Options
    Very well done, Debbie. A week is a big achievement. Keep it up, it's really worth it.
  • Options
    Well done for quitting.I have also given up since january and started running.I am sure it will get better in a few months.