Training for half marathon.

Comments

• MuddyPawsMuddyPaws ✭✭✭
    I ran the Race for Life in Worthing yesterday.... Completed the 5k in 25:40. Found the first km quite congested but it did get easier, 3000 women took part and it was quite hot along the seafront.

This is a link to the route http://connect.garmin.com/activity/98087281 nice and flat ! I think perhaps it wasn't a good idea to make this my fourth day running in a row even though the day before was a slow run with my daughter...

Planning to do a park run sometime in the next 6 weeks to get an accurate measure of my 5k time, the race for life events are definitely fundraisers rather than running events (never considered Zumba a warm up before running a race before... Opted out and did my own thing...)
  • Hello! Can I join in? I'm signed up to my first half marathon in September.

I started running sporadically last summer but started seriously trying to improve my discipline after finishing my first ever 10k last September and going straight to hospital for crutches! I am hoping to get round in (just) under 2 hours and I start my super new training plan today. Basically its:

Monday 6m treadmill run & kettlebell class
    Wednesday 6m intervals on treadmill
    Friday 10+m long run (11m this week)
    Saturday 10m cycle & bodypump class
    Sunday 6m tempo run

I created it myself from bits of plans I spent many, many hours researching!! My previous best 10k time is about 53mins so I'm hoping 2 hours is achievable - some calculators say yes, some say no! I have good overall fitness and have been running about 25 miles per week and doing weights for several months now.

I decided to try for the HM as I just can't get seem to get much faster for a 10k (my fastest on a treadmill is 51.33) but I can keep pounding out the miles.

I am extremely nervous about the race so a virtual support group would be great! xx

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

LQ - Are your runs on the treadmill or are you running on the road as well?

I wouldn't worry too much about you 10k time run on the treadmill. Under race conditions you should be able to run a lot faster for a number of reasons.
    My 6m steady run is 48 mins - 8m/m but my pb is 42:42, approx 7:07 m/m, as you can see, quite a bit faster. When you race you tend to push a whole lot harder than when you train, you should also feel a lot fresher as you would have tapered even for a 10k to give you your best chance.

What hm are you running?

• Hi, long and tempo runs are on the road. I just find the treadmill easier for the technical ones like intervals as I can't slack off as easily!

Its just a wee local hm outside Glasgow. I have 2 wee kids and the small local events are much more manageable with small children. The course is quite flat as well, so hopefully my target is achievable!

• good time for a rfl, muddy paws - the ones around here are always pretty busy and congested.

'...' i know i shouldn't run on consecutive days, but that's just the way it goes with work and kids and stuff, and weekends are usually a bit easier . I do usually rest on a friday or monday so no real harm done, just feel pants. I do enjoy running with friends but can't really train hard with them - talk too much really. 

funny you find running on a treadmill easier for the technical stuff. I can see that it should be easier but I dread the treadmill. All in the mind, probabaly. I only ever do it in winter when roads are neck breaking, and then my mileage goes down the drain

• TikkaTikka ✭✭✭

Hello everyone, I've been lurking with interest. image  I've been running consistently for about 2 years but I've never plucked up the courage to do a HM - or any race, for that matter, although I've done a few low-key charity/fun run 5Ks and 10Ks.  Proper racing scares me, it's like exam time all over again.

Anyway, you probably all know this already but I thought I'd mention it just in case.  I happened to notice RW in the newsagents this morning because of the 'Half Marathon Special' tag on the cover so I bought it.  There's a specific training schedule for sub 2 hours, and predictions of how likely you are to achieve your goal based on previous 10K and HM finish times.

I've never followed a structured plan before, I just do my own thing and run at pretty much the same pace regardless of distance - around 10mm.  The first thing that strikes me about the RW plan is how light the weekly mileage is - I currently run 35-42 miles a week over 5 days.  The second thing that strikes me is that whereas my 10mm pace is fine for long and easy runs (and actually a bit quicker than suggested), I'm pretty certain I'd never be able to match the recommended paces for the tempo and interval runs.  Now I'm confused.com - is it better to follow the plan, cut back dramatically on my weekly mileage and concentrate on trying to achieve the pace for the tempo/intervals sessions?; or do I keep doing the mileage I'm doing, slow down my easy/long runs to the suggested pace, and try to achieve the pace for the tempo/interval sessions?  It seems counter-productive to take a backwards step in terms of mileage.... and yet I'm not sure my legs will have the necessary oomph to run any faster at my current mileage.

Gah. Now I remember why I don't follow plans or enter races, it's all so complicated. image  I'm really looking forward to following everyone else's progress, though!  image

• I love treadmills - it's where I feel safe! I used to have what bordered on a phobia about running outside. I can do it now, but racing still scares the bejesus out of me. And don't even talk to me about running clubs - my heart rate can't take it!!

Tikka I've read so many plans over the last couple of weeks, but I found that although they are supposed to be for a certain time, I really want something that week by week tells me what I should be achieving. I like to make little weekly improvements so I know what's realistic. I too can't understand how cutting my mileage will help. Sometimes I think these generic plans don't take into account people like us who are regular runners, but just need to increase mileage in one run per week.

Previously I was trying to get faster over 10k. Then when I decided to do a half I had to add a long run and I just couldn't handle chasing both speed and distance at the same time. So I picked a target time and worked all my speeds for intervals, tempos and long runs from there. For intervals and tempos its slower than I was previously running. To be expected I guess?

Anyway - who do I think I am, I'm only on my first day of my new plan AND I got a blooming cramp in kettlebell tonight.image. Mortified!

• Hi Tikka, I think maybe you've answered yr own question really - the wisdom is that to hit the pace you need to work on speed. I agree that speed sessions do pay off quicker than weeks and weeks of 'dead miles' But i'm sure there are lots of people out there who train like you do and still run sub 2hrs. Maybe the plan is just the quickest way to hit yr target - ie in 12 weeks or whatever.

If you don't get enough answers on this thread try posting on 'training' - there are people who know a lot about the rationale and science on there. Good luck

• TikkaTikka ✭✭✭

Thanks for the advice LQ and GnT.  It's certainly a minefield out there when it comes to training plans, which is why I've shied away from them in the past.  On the one hand, I've become used to plodding 40 miles a week and quite enjoy it; on the other, I do get dejected that I never seem to get any quicker.  I see posts on here from people who say they've gotten faster as they've increased their mileage, without adding any specific speedwork, but it's clear that that's not going to happen to me.  Running slowly has only made me a slow runner, not to mention petrified at the thought of venturing outside of my comfort zone!

I'll take myself off to bed with my magazine and ponder some more over the training plans on offer. 

GnT, I hear what you're saying about taking my post over to the training thread, but that might lead to pressure to HTFU, stop faffing around and enter a HM and I'm not at that stage.  Yet....  image

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

Tikka - what does your avarage week look like?

I had a training plan written for me based around what I was actually doing. As I like hilly races hill work was added but generally my weekly milage was dropped from 45 to 35 miles / wk. this enabled me to run harder - ie at a faster pace rather than doing longer runs at a slower pace. I also do much tougher track sessions than I used to do. Again faster with less recovery though covering less distance I find them much harder.

So by shortening your runs you are able to increase pace. You will notice a difference week on week. If you are worried about pace then you only need run as far as you can at an increased pace. It is worth using the same route for these runs so that you can see visable signs of improvement - well at least thats what I did. My slow run became a tempo became a steady run at the increased pace etc.

One final thing - have you a friend or running partner that you can enter the race with? It may make it easier esp if you don't set yourself any targets except to get round and have fun.

• TikkaTikka ✭✭✭

I like the idea of having a personal training plan, tailored to my needs.  Did you have a PT, or does your club offer coaching?  I belong to a club, but it's an informal one and we don't have trained coaches.

I don't run set distances on set days, I tend to do whatever I feel like once I get out there.  Having said that, and looking back over my log recently, a fairly typical week for me is as follows:

Monday - Rest
    Tuesday - 8 miles
    Wednesday - 6.5 miles
    Thursday - 7.5 miles
    Friday - Rest
    Saturday - LR of 10-12 miles
    Sunday - 5.5 miles

I'll never be a fast runner, no matter how much training I do, and that's not me being pessimistic, it's the reality of the situation.  I only took up running when I was 50 - although I've been a walker all my life, so wasn't starting from a standstill as far as exercise was concerned.  I'm 53 now.  That said, I'm sure there's some room for improvement, even at my age!

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

Yes - club coach. He's quite a hard task master and has a reputation for breaking runners. image I think he takes on those who like to push themselves, certainly a lot of the elite young athletes and a few of us olduns and just pushes us as hard as we can go. It's good to have someone who takes an interest in what you do and tries to get you to perform at your best.

As for speed - if you take one of your shorter mid week runs - say no more than 6 miles, then you can turn this into a tempo run. 2 miles warm up, 2 miles @ 10k pace, 2 miles cool down. Throw in some dynamic stretches as well it will be quite a good work out and help with your overall pace and stamina.

btw - fast at 50 isn't the same as fast at 36 or 26 or even 16.

It's not bad to run what you feel like as it's very responsive to how you feel on the day and you'll not be prone to injury if your body is telling you that 4 miles is enough so you stop rather than running the 8 miles it says on your schedule and you wind up pushing to hard and straining something.

I think I've just got faster as my bodies got more used to running. Speed work makes a big difference but I think it's the short runs at a fast pace that has made the biggest difference.

• TikkaTikka ✭✭✭

Thanks for the advice, -...- (is that 'spelt' right?!), it all makes perfect sense.  I might investigate paying someone to write a bespoke plan for me.  I often read blogs on Fetch where the blogger credits another Fetchie with putting together a training plan for them so that might be a possibility.

I took a rest day yesterday, and today I've had really bad stomach cramps and bloatedness (if such a word exists?) and am generally feeling out-of-sorts.  I can't remember the last time I had two nights off in a row but it wasn't CBA, I really didn't feel up to running, so I'm trying to go with the flow and not feel like a lazy blob.  Hopefully I'll feel better tomorrow and get back on the road.

Hope everyone else's training is going well.

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭
    Did some kenyan hills on the way home from work. I did wonder if I had done enough til I started to cycle home. image Is it bed time yet?
  • Question on training plans. I'm looking at the sub 2:15 plan (not that I think sub 2:15 is on, but it's a plan and I thought the distances would be a guide) and I wonder if there's anything to be gained by adding dstance. I regularly run 8 to 10 miles for a LSR, and felt I could do with having gone over distance in my last HM. So would there be anything intrinsically wrong in adding 2 miles to each Thursday run (which I'll be doing on Tuesday) and 4-5 to each LSR? Topping out at 15/16 miles.

In the only HM I've done, the times showed I slowed dramatically after mile 11, and want to be prepared for the added distance this time.

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

I think 16 miles is too much and not much to be gained from it, it will just tire you out more and may mean that you do not have enough energy to put into your other sessions.

Take last Wednesday as an example - I did the hill session I mentioned, I could've done more and pushed harder but I still needed to cycle 10 miles home - this should only take 40 mins tops but after the hill session even cycling along the flat was hard work.

If it were me - and it probably will be, I would - or will - add more distance to my runs but I will not take it up much past 13.5 miles as that will detract from the other training that I'm doing.

I would take a week or two to consolidate your training / running to date then build slowly on that with an easy week every third or fourth week.

Really suck it and see and see how you feel, if you can still put in the quality sessions then ok.

I think the plans are pretty general - aimed at runners who may not be running all that much rather than those who are already happy with running 10 miles. It's designed to build up the distance and pace slowly.

don't over stretch yourself on your steady runs, these are designed to help you hold a pace rather than build on stamina. At least thats how I regard them, so if your pace is all over the place while running them then you may not be getting the full benefit. See how it goes with the distance. I wouldn't do more than 6 miles steady.

As for slowing dramatically - could this also be that you set off too fast? I know that that is a hard Q. to answer - if you are more used to running the distance then would you run a better race? I don't know. There are claims both ways being made all the time.

Psychologically I believe that it will make a big difference if you know you can do it. You feel better prepared and more relaxed etc. If only for that I think it is good.

Just mho - Maybe I'll be shot down in flames. image

• Firstly, Hello to all the new peeps joining the thread, sorry been away, bit busy...

Well week 1 down on my 12 week training, clocked up around 22k  and looking to do another 5-7k tomorrow. Came across a Hal Higdon schedule and looking to work to it, combines strenght training as well.

Rob.

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

imageimage well done. Sounds like a posirtive start.

Last week was quite lazy for me. I still can't really lift weights. image On the bright side i can still do quite a bit of core work.

yup - going out running tomorrow LSR - hope the rain holds off, dry and warm at the mo.

• Hi all. Did my first hill repeats yesterday. Think I should find a bigger hill as not quite long enough. Long run today but Only 8 miles so should be ok. I also do karate twice a week and find fitting in 5 runs and 2 karate sessions quite difficult. If I have to drop a run I guess the shortest slowest would be the best and keep the long run speed work and threshold runs. Previous plans have been simpler and only 4 days a week so I guess I'll take time to adapt. Anyway got a child to get ready for a party, convince another one to tidy her room, off to work for a couple of hours and my long run this afternoon so better get going.
  • Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

Good Morn VotR - if you get any comments about being from Bromly just smile and nod sagely image

Yes dropping one run a week sounds sensible as karate is quite a work out. I prefer to swim 2-3 times a week rather than do another run.

If your hill is not quite long enough you could try doing shorter sprints up it. The hill I use takes about 90secs to run up though I also have a 2 mile off road hill that I run up - and a very steep hill that I look at. image

Enjoy the party.

• TikkaTikka ✭✭✭

I'm already of nervous disposition when it comes to racing.  All this talk of hills, steady runs and speedwork isn't helping.  image

HL, a lot of the training plans I see cap the long run at 10-12 miles but personally I would have to have run at least 13 miles several times in training to ever have the confidence to stand on the start line in the first place.  When the going gets tough, unless I can tell myself that it's no big deal, I've done the distance before and survived, the gremlin on my shoulder telling me I'm going to fail will win. 

I've decided to spend the remainder of this year getting my body accustomed to running a 40 mile week, building my long run up to 14 miles, and then I'm going to target a HM in March and start training properly for it - by properly I mean, cutting back on mileage if need be (as per -..-'s advice) to allow me to introduce at least one quality session every week - tempo/intervals/hills, or whatever the plan prescribes.  In the meantime, I'll be following everyone else's progress and learning from it. image

• hi everyone, see some of us are getting to grip with their training plans. I've done the distances this week- including 9 tedious miles in non stop rain yesterday-  but pace has been a bit poor. I think this is partly due to a bit of a bug and partly due to putting on a few too many pounds, ho hum.

Did do a lovely off road run with a friend today. I think I'm just plain bored with my usual runs, and mp3 player died too this week, so maybe if i sort that out I'll get some zing and speed back? 

• Any advice gratefully received. I'm into week 5 of a 16 week training plan from Smartcoach, and am a bit surprised that this week appears to drop back a bit: easy runs, with the longest being 4 miles. Yesterday, I did a hilly seven miles, and a decent (for me!) pace, and felt fine, and really only feel that I am just getting going, and really don't need a recovery week.

I am thinking of jumping ahead a week, and avoid the recovery week: this would allow repeats of the later weeks in the programme.

What do you think?

• MuddyPawsMuddyPaws ✭✭✭
    Hi Dan,

The reason for the easier week is to allow your body to full recover before stepping it up again. This will help prevent injury and it does work.

I followed the smart coach plan for my first half marathon and found it worked really well.

Lisa
  • Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭
    Dan - as above. Give yourself the easy week. You may feel fine this week but it will catch up with you. An easy week now will help you progress. You'll feel the benefits of it over the next few weeks.
  • Hi All

I have been brave and just signed up to do my first half marathon! (Leicester on 9th October)

I already run with a club and my long run is already up to 9 miles so hopefully i should be ready in time to do a full 13 in October, i am still very nervous about it though!

• Hi Hollie,

I wish I could manage 9 already, from what I've learnt through talking to peeps, you should breeze it.

Good luck

Rob

• Was meant to do a 9 mile run on Sunday however, due to the weather I decided to do it at the gym. So, with my brand new shoes, I prepared for a nice easy run.

The run itself was a difficult slog (stopped to walk a couple of times) and, my shoes started rubbing which didn't help. Ended up doing 6.5 miles which I wasn't too happy about.

I haven't really been able to get a decent long run in (max is 8m on treadmill, 7m outside).

Apart from not getting a decent long run in yet, my legs seem to constantly feel heavy recently making most of my runs more difficult. I've taken time out to rest but this hasn't helped too much.

Ah well, I am sure I'll get back on track soon enough...

• Hi everyone - good to see all the races people are signing up for.

Sorry it's not going too well PieOPah - maybe yr setting too fast a pace for yr lsr?  Shame about the shoes.

Went out this morning for 5 mile without garmin and mp3 player - really enjoyed it and found myself 'flying'   ( it's relative, but it felt fast and fluid) towards the end. Makes up for some of those old slogs. Think the rain really helped -not dure how I'll do in majorca for a fortnight??

Anyone racing in August?