Training for half marathon.

Comments

• Imelda - thanks for your comments.

I did 16k last Saturday (at a slower time than the same distance a couple of weeks earlier!) but have taken this week off.

Going to do a 10k in the morning, so I'll see how I get on.

I'm just going to have to be mindful of the balance between building up fitness and getting tired - and I guess that balance gets harder to manage as we get older!

Cheers!

BTW - anyone else here doing the same HM as me - the Surrey Badger on October 9th?

• Hiya,

Yes, I'm doing the Surrey Badger on the 9th October... I'm not sure of the exact route but it looks like it could be hilly.... If I manage to do it in under 2:30 I will be happy but trying to push for 2:15

Lisa
  • Hi Lisa. I notice that Events to Live have just posted up the route:

http://www.eventstolive.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4&Itemid=14

Is there any way you can tell from this how hilly it is? 

As for me - I dunno what sort of time to target, as it's my first HM. Just looking to finish is the first priority!

My training runs indicate that my HM time should be around 2:10 ish, but I've got to factor the hills in. So I think I'll be aiming for 2:30 as well. Lets see how it goes!

• I'll get out the O/S map and plot the route on it ! The first part along the A24 will be flat......
  • Hey! Look what I've found - someone's already plotted it on the Garmin website:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/110787087

Looks like the final ascent is up to the 14k mark - so the last 7k are either down or flat.

Just hope I can make it to 14k then!!!

• Wow ! Whoever that is runs fast !

The elevation doesn't work on my iPad....... I'll have to look tomorrow on my pc....

It is good to see the actual route though image
  • I may run this as an easy run. I'm marshalling at an event the day after. It was a race I was thinking about. I think that looks like it was cycled not run.

Maybe pencil it in for next year MP - Lewes Downland 10

• Hi Sandy and Muddy Paws - I am also entered to do the Badger. The route has a flat out and flat finish, the hills are OK if you have practised some.

I have a feeling I will be very slow around 2:45 as I fell of my bike last weekend and am currently nursing some badly bruised ribs, so can only walk or slow cycle at present. My longest run so far has been 6 miles but at least I have done the race before. I needed to walk up one hill that was short and steep, but not really much worse than the New Forest Half for undulations.

• MuddyPaws wrote (see)
    Wow ! Whoever that is runs fast !

Hahaha!! That's what I thought too!

Makes my 2:30 target look a little sad.... Maybe I should bring my bike. Or is that not allowed?

• Hi all

I did this race last year and it is hilly but it was also good fun. There isn't a huge field and you start off singing the National Anthem which I thought was great but as you get to the off road bit and look up you see a snake of runners in front of you winding their way up a very steep hill (well - unless you're at the front!) but you do get to run down it. I came down it a little fast for my liking and not totally in control! Well run race. Enjoy.
  • Thanks Sneg.

Looking at the route, it seems the first few Km are along the A24. I drove down there yesterday, and it doesn't look like the pavement's very wide - is that right?

Just a bit concerned there may be a bit of congestion at the start.

• Good morning image

Went out for a very muddy, windy 13.5 miles over the South Downs on Monday. Hoping to get another couple of these long runs in before the 9th October. Also tested my new trainers, just bought a pair of Brooks Adrenaline ASR 8's.... Ran the whole thing without a single sore patch or blister image

I think my target time of 2:15 may be a bit optimistic..... Especially when I look at the hills involved !

Anyway, I'm sure it will be fun image

How is everyone else getting on ?
  • I did 18k (furthest I've ever been) on Saturday at a time that projects out at 2:12..... but that was without the hills!!

So I'm looking at 2:30 as a target, but I know whatever I do it'll be a PB coz it's my first HM!!!

PS - what's happened to your little pic, Muddy? Looks like you got caught in a snow drift.... 

• Glad to hear you are still on track with the training Sandy and Muddypaws.

I did the Bacchus HM on Sunday, but as a walk with a bit of run, just to get a long distance exercise session done. Time 3:31, ouch those hills, but I am sure thats down to very little training and injuries, walked about 10 miles and jogged the rest but not all in one go. I did struggle but I think it did me good to push myself for the distance, the hog roast at the end was very nice.

I used it also to practise nutrition for The Badger, jellybaby at each water station with the water and one gel about halfway.

• Only three weeks to go till the Royal Parks HM on the 9th Oct. I've been on holiday in Canada for the last three weeks so my usual training routine went out the window. I managed to do some sort of training most days usually on a treadmill and a couple of longer runs. I'm planning on running ~13 miles tomorrow then starting to taper off my long runs.

I have a 10k race on the 2nd October (Titsey 10k) I'm going to have to restrain myself and take it easy as I don't want it to affect my chances of completing the HM.

I'm really looking forward to the HM but I still have no idea what sort of time I'm going to finish in. If I break two hours I will be very pleased.

@MuddyPaws I also run along the south downs http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/47230382
  • Bit late to be joining this thread as im running Windsor Half next sunday 25th ! Ran it last year in 2hr 7m and hope to go under 2hrs this time.

Ran the Surrey Slog Half in the summer and that was HARD! ( 2hrs 16m ) Garmin said we did 3,500 foot of Hills, i was sore after that one.

Good luck all.
  • Hi Monty - I'm racing NF next week then thinking about Gossport or maybe Brighton halfs. Would like to run a 1:30. I still want to run all the hilly halfs next year, was planning on doing that this year but got side tracked into other races and stuff. (like work).

OK - need to take it easy now.

• I ended up doing 11.5 miles in 1:57, deliberately tried to keep a steady pace and felt great till 1:35 when my right ham string started to tighten up so I walked a bit and then took it easy for the rest. I definitely feel better running when the weather cools down a bit hope the 9th is a cool day.

Good luck to all who have HM's soon, be sure and let us know how it went.
  • Did my last long run yesterday - ran 8 then 2.5 miles with a group. Quite fast paced. Raced on Sat which was another good paced run. Now I shall rest - 3 swims this week, no cycling and maybe a couple of miles, some strides Tue or Weds and Fri.
  • Aaargh!

Bit of a setback.... Went for a long run on Saturday. Well, that was the intention, anyway. But pulled up after 6k with a very painful knee.

Also got a bit of a recurremce of a groin problem which I've had off & on for a few years now. I can cope with that, as I find compression shorts help a lot, but this knee problem is a new one on me!

Poor timing, with only three weeks to go, but I'm going to have to rest up now and see how it goes, as if I try to run on it, it'll no doubt flare up again.

Ah well. I guess that I probably wouldn't have been able to build up much more fitness over the next few weeks - I'm just worried about losing what I've got. Might try something non-impact, like cycling or swimming.

Grrrrrrrr.

• Sandy - I feel for you. Rest it for a few days and then stick to walks.
     My knee is playing up along with hip flexor, but apparantly it is all related, as all on the same side of body. I am still more walk than run at present but am still going to do the Badger, I even looked up my time from 2009 when it took me 2:53, so if I walk again and manage 3:30 or less I wil be quite happy.
  • Cheers, Steady!

Maybe we'll find orselves alone, limping along in (joint) last place!!

• Sandy - I also understand. Completed my first HM a couple of weeks ago, but disaster struck about three weeks before, with ankle ligaments. Rest and ice, and if you choose to do non-impact work, minimise it as much as possible. You've built up your fitness now, and won't lose a great deal between now and then. I ran 5 miles about a week before the race, just to prove to myself that the ankle could hold up - it did on the 5 miles, and it did on the HM!

Paul
  • Cheers Paul - that really helps.

The rest is really important - as a friend said to me yesterday "the most importnat thing now is to turn up at the start line uninjured".

Haven't actually tried ice - does this really help?

• For me, ice works a treat. Apparently you're only meant to ice for about 20 minutes in any one burst. I would also strongly recommend 'tiger balm' rubbed onto the offending area. It smells pretty strongly though, so beware!
  • Tiger Balm, eh? Never heard of it - only ever used Deep Heat & Ralgex. Is it better than them?

Can you get it at pharmacies?

Edit: it's OK - just found it on the Boots website.

• Yep, you can get it at Boots. It's either pharmaceutical genius or voodoo, but nevertheless it works for me.
  • Tiger Balm: fantastic stuff, but WASH YOUR HANDS afterwards, and before approaching any more "sensitive" areas (your own or other's!)image
  • Hahaha!! Don't care which - if it works it works!

I'll give it a go. Bit worried about the smell, though......

• I forgot about that - Dan is right. Don't just wash your hands, wash them thoroughly. I won't share any of my own stories!

The smell is pungent but not offensive. I quite like it, and fortunately so does my other half.