Training for half marathon.

123457»

Comments

• Quick update on the Tiger Balm.....

Wow, what a smell! Awesome!!!

Been applying it fairly regularly for the last couple of weeks, and the knee now feels a lot better - mind you, I don't know whether it would have done anyway without the Tiger Balm, but there you go!

Basically will have missed the last three weeks of training for Sunday, but still looking forward to it. Hope this heat wave will have ended by then!!

• Sandy - the Tiger Balm will have relieved the symptoms, but won't have actually helped your knee heal, though the act of massaging it in might have done a bit. Sounds like it is healing mainly on its own. Good stuff.

Heat wave seems to have disappeared here (Glossop).
  • Thanks Dan - yeah, I know it's only pain relief, and not a healing agent. Made me feel better though!!!

I'm a great believer in healing by rest, although it's so frustrating being "off the road". If it flares up again, though, I'll have to have it looked at.

As for the weather - still lovely here in leafy Surrey....

• I didn't get much running in last week, a mix of working away and general lack of time.... Only doing a few short runs this week and Thursday evening at the club will be my last run before Sunday....

I must admit I'm feeling a bit nervous, the route does look as though it is all uphill or downhill with nothing on the flat !

I'm also hoping it will be a bit cooler than last Sunday.... It should be good fun though with chocolate and beer at the finish image
  • Mmmmmmm........chocolate and beer.....

(in a Homer Simpson type voice)

• Just looked at the list of runners http://www.eventstolive.co.uk/images/etl_uploads/badgerv11.pdf and it looks like I'm number 32 so if you see me say hi !
  • Blimey - you registered early!!!

I'm 254 btw.

Went for a short gentle jog yesterday, and my knee was quite painful at times, so I'm going to be taking it easy on Sunday. Just admiring the views! Oh, and necking the choccie & beer after!!!

• I'm doing Surrey Badger HM on Sunday! Quite nervous about the savage hills of it though, it'll definitely be the hilliest I've done. I did Reading in March in 1:42:37 which I was quite surprised/pleased with, as I was aiming for 1:50:00, but I was a lot faster then than I am now for some reason, just haven't been able to get the pace up this time despite doing the same type of training.

Really just hoping to be under 2 hours, but I've got no idea how well my legs will cope with it so I guess we'll see on the day! Obviously not going for a PB. Have heard it's a great race though, well organised etc so that's good.

See some of you there - good luck all!

Jo
  • Little Jo - thats the first time anyone has called those hills savage, they are proper hills but its not as bad as Box Hill itself, just pace yourself sensibly. Plus the view across to Box Hill is great and the first out part and last back part are flat.

As I will be at the back going slow, I will take my time to take in the scenery unless the weather is bad, in which case I will be head down plodding for all my worth.

• And I'll probably be somewhere close by, Steady!

Got a physio appointment about my knee tomorrow - just hoping they don't advise me not to do the HM!!!

• Little Jo - please report back after Sunday and tell us what you think of the hills. I doubt I will see you as you sound a bit too fast for me.
  • Yes, she does sound a bit quick, doesn't she?

(erm... hoping it's a "she", as I've got genders wrong on here in the past...)

• image I'm tired. Tried to have a nap but the phone rang.

I have another hm on Sunday - Salisbury. I entered it on the spur of the moment after not doing so well at New Forest, though I still have the remnants of my cough I hope by Sunday I will be fine. Having said that am going to a 40th birthday party on Sat so I hope I wont be to shattered as its an early start for Sunday.

Good luck for Sunday to everyone above.

• Hi, I've decided to train for the Inverness half marathon, it's not until March 2012, but have got a training plan and am just about into week 3.  Have done 10ks before, never a half, so far training is at the easy stage, doing a mixture of outside and treadmill.  When doing the treadmill runs, I don't seem to be able to push myself hard, but going outside, I have noticed a difference.  Very focused and motivated at the moment, I get a reminder emailed to me telling me what my next run is, which helps.  I went on the 'Take to the Streets' website and have a training diary which I can update with my mileage and how I feel.  It's working for me anyway.image
  • Welcome Karen, sounds like a good plan your doing. I only use a treadmill if the weather is to bad to run outside or I want a speed session and have to run a certain speed for set periods of time.
  • hi

I'm doing the Cardiff HM next weekend - my first proper race, really. Hope to go sub-2:00, which I have done in training. just fighting off the tail end of a rotten cold, which came at the wrong time, shall we say...image

I'm not really a competitive runner, and have run on my own for some years - but the HM has really helped me to push out my distance, and I think I might be getting the bug...

Good luck to anyone with a HM coming up....

cheers

Gav

• Cardiff is a good half marathon as it is nice and flat...and there is always plenty of support around the course. The bay can get a little bit windy sometimes but I used to train down there when I was at uni and so I am used to it. I have no doubt that you are going to have a fantastic race and that you will not only fight off your cold but all that training will be worthwhile and you will smash that 2 hour time!

I went for a cheeky 13 miler today in Windsor great park and felt terrible. I did the three peaks challenge last weekend and I don't think that either my knees of my quads have recovered yet lol.

Good luck to everyone with races this weekend or who is half marathon training.

Running Blog
  • cheers KR, the bay will be windy, but its a fantastic last stretch across from penarth right along the bay back to the Assembly.

Hope it isn't like today though - blasting wind and that really annoying dense drizzle!

cheers

Gav

• Had a great run yesterday at the Surrey Badger, it was hilly but nothing actually vertical image

The scenery is lovely and the organisation was pretty slick, they had the finishing times displayed for the first runners before the race had finished. Being chip timed I wasn't worried about being anywhere near the front at the start, it is never going to make that much difference to my time anyway !

I finished in 2:08:34 far better than I thought I would do; I had been aiming for 2:15 based on my previous finish times and I thought even that was optimistic.... During the race I kept an eye on my Garmin for my heart rate to make sure I didn't push too hard up the first hilly bit and run out of energy before I got to the second uphill section. I also watched my mile splits trying to get some time in the "bank" to cover the sections when I knew I would be slower... I didn't look at the total elapsed time until I crossed the finish line and saw the time on the clock.

This is certainly a race I would run again.

My next HM is in 5 weeks time; flat and on the road rather than hilly and on trails....
  • Well done, Muddy!

No, the hills weren't vertical.... but I'd say they were pretty relentless! They just seemed to go on forever!

I limped round in 2:18, which, given the injury to my left knee and the subsequent lack of training over the last three weeks, I was actually pretty pleased with. I'm in a fair amount of agony now, though!

Oh, and as it was my first HM, I set a PB!!!!

• Well done MuddyPaws and Sandy the Womble.

I did the Royal Parks Half in 2:07:52, mildly disappointed as I was hoping for under two hours but it was a great race and a lovely day. I was doing well up to mile 6 which I reached in 52 minutes but then my legs decided I should slow down image
    The race is well organised and well supported as 12,500 take part. They SMS you your race chip time as you cross the line! It is ballot entry.

Sore legs today but plenty of time to recover for the Brooks Brighton 10k in November then the London Marathon Training begins in December!

• Hey guys,

Did my first Half Marathon in Henley last Sunday and thoroughly enjoyed it. Managed to do it in 1:33:10 which I was pretty happy about. Want to break through the 1:30 barrier next time. Has anyone got any suggestions of a good half I could sign up to before winter time properly kicks in?

Also, does any of you lovely people know about a running club in North London? I am based in East Finchley and would like to join one to improve my training even further. Am a 25 old, 6ft 3 male (not sure whether that matters or not image )

Thanks

Alex
  • Cheers Charlie!

Coincidentally, I was chatting to someone on Sunday evening who had done the Royal Parks (she was still wearing her medal, too!) and she said she's really enjoyed it. She showed me the map - it looks really good.

Edit: erm, I meant the route looks really good, not the map. Although the map was quite good as well. 

• AW - Gossport or Poppy (Bexhill) or Barns Green

Grand Union Canal, Uxbridge.

Running clubs - try England athletics site - go along to a couple of clubs, chat them up and see what they have to offer.

Sorry, not much to offer in terms of information I'm afraid.

imageSoW.

• The Poppy HM is flat, 4 times round a loop and is meant to be good for a PB ! I've entered it to see how close to 2 hrs I can get.....
  • judging by the other Hm you've run I'm sure you'll hit 2hrs easily.
  • Hi Kity,

Thanks a lot for your help.
    Actually had a look at the Uxbridge race already, probably going to sign up for that one.
    Has anyone here ever done it?

• Lots of good racing in here recently. I ran my second half at the weekend, and was enormously pleased to go sub 2:30, knocking 10 minutes off my PB.

Next one is in 6 weeks, so need to get up and going quickly to get some training in for that. Sub 2:25 must be a target... Tried a little run last night - just 3 miles - and found that everything was still working, which was good news! Aiming to get out & do at least 6 this weekend.

• already said it elsewhere but congrats on the PB HL.

My HM - both actually were pants. Very dismal and nowhere near target. I think the cold got the better of me and I wasn't sufficiently recovered for the second race.

I shall attempt another at some point in the future when I can train properly and be fit for the race. Right now it's xc season and I think I have a race every weekend between now and Feb. image