BUPA Great North Run 2006

Comments

• Well done to everyone who took part on Sunday. It was my 3rd GNR, having only started running 3 years ago.
    Having had a virus 10 days ago decided to go fancy dress this year and just run/walk. Preferred to finish without a heart attack !
    My friend and i went as Dorothy and the Tin Man. We had a fab time and support from other runners and crowd was great.

Ref chaos at the start, agree they needed to improve things from last year but we couldnt even get into the orange section as chocca. Ended up almost at the back of the race and took 50 mins to get to start. Even with fancy dress we spent most of time getting past walkers from the start and finished up 2hr 49min. Seems they need to make sections much bigger to accommodate all of the runners. Even on tv from above there was a massive bulge in our area compared to the rest of the start areas.

Fab day tho and no regrets in fun running altho want to beat 2hr 9 mins (PB from Nottm)next year !!

Well done everyone !

• BS, they've done terrificlly well, haven't they? It looks like they will top £1,000 at the end of it all, which is fantastic.

4/5 of them said they enjoyed the run, particularly one who was obvioulsy delighted with his 1:42. The fifth said that although he didn't really enjoy the run, he was proud of his achievement and glad that he had done it.
  • Rhys, I'm doing GCR as are Mick the Mackem and Mandie R.
    It's a lovely course, far kinder than GNR, and if you were to just keep 'ticking over' through the fortnight, with a GENTLE 7 this weekend, I'm sure you'd be fine.
  • Mandie, I thought you were my friend :0(
    I have nothing further to say ;0)

• X/L - I am your friend - Thats how I know you really really want to do this again next year....Friends can tell these things!! Besides - it wont be the same if you're not there!!
  • A belated well done to all who competed on Sunday. Got back from the Toon yesterday afternoon - unfortunately I've just spent the past 24 hours sitting on the toilet & throwing up with food poisoning!

XL - followed your race plan and it worked a dream until 9-10 miles where I desperately began to suffer and it didn't help seeing an unfortunate runner lying at the side of the road wrapped up in a blanket with an oxygen mask strapped on. That brought me down to reality and I eased back, finishing in 2:05, exactly the same as last year but feeling much much better.

That was GNR no.5 and i felt that it was one of the best organised yet - well done to Colin Hill and his team. The start worked fine for our bunch and I didn't find the run as busy as previous ones. Wasn't going to do it again but, guess what, hotel rooms are booked and I'll be back again next year!!!

Yet another plea for a copy of the BBC coverage. My wife set the video and ended up with Channel 4! Seemingly I was on the telly just as Findly Young was being interviewed. If anybody has a copy and could send it to me I'll refund the costs.
  • This year was the first time I never enjoyed the Great North Run, due to some arrogant pillock.

I started at the very back of the Red Section as I expected to take about 1:45-1:50 (slower than I would have been with an injury-free year) and had the same difficult as everyone else at the very start of being slowed down. About 100m after the start line some idiot decided to push their way through and shoved me out of the way, forcing me to twist my ankle, which sent a massive pain up by shin and calf. I saw him do the same thing to someone else (but they didn't appear to injury themselves) as he sped off.

I had to come to a standstill there and actually considered pulling out after 100m, but decided to see if I could run it off. The pain got so unbearable after 3 miles I had to pull out of the race.

However, a couple of minutes sit down eased the pain slightly and I broke into a bit of a jog as I limped to the St John Ambulance people (it was less painful than walking). Anyway, I realised I could make it to the next station, then the next one, and did end up finishing the race, but only with lots of walking and lots of pain.

In the end my time, incredibly, was 2:04 which I'm amazed about considering how much time I spent sat down at 3 miles, and standing still just after every water station. In one way I am happy with my time given the circumstances, but in another way I'm gutted that I'd looked forward to that race for months and then all interest in it was stolen from me after 100m.

For all those people on here who are complaining about red number people walking or going slow, I was probably one of those people you overtook. My reason for walking was due to the inconsiderate nature of another runner who put their own time over my health.

I had a thoroughly miserable weekend due to some fool's determination to knock a couple of seconds off their time - I wonder how many of the people moaning about their numbers would really want to have swopped places with me in hindsight?
  • Really sorry to hear that, Wirral Dave ~ I was lucky in that everyone I came into contact with on the day was lovely and considerate, but there's always a selfish minority who can't/won't consider other people.

Well done ~ excellent result under the circumstances
  • Dave - what an awful experience for you - I noticed a few runners like you encountered who just dont care about the people they are barging past and by the time they have passed you they dont even look back to see what mayhem they have caused. My brother mentioned a few times that he would have briuses from where others had rammed into him on passing. I really hope you were not too badly injured and that it wont put you off doing this one again - Well done for carrying on despite how you were hurting!
  • XL - so pleased your lads (mostly) enjoyed themselves, they have done fantastically well and should be very proud of themselves

Mandie is right, you can't not do this next year, imagine what the Mackem would get up to without you keeping him in check!!! (By the way, as we travelled to the start together, I checked his passport as we came over the Tyne bridge - just to make sure he was allowed that side of the river!!) ;0)
  • Wirral Dave- That is awful. What is with this minority of pillocks!!! Cant they just be sensible and think of others for a change. The start this year was a valiant attempt by the organisers to get everybody of a similar pace running/walking together and some idiots had to spoil it as usual. I suppose they think they are clever! There is no reason why the gnr cant be a race and an event, so that people at every pace can enjoy the atmosphere and the day AND get a decent time. It is possible if only we could weedle (sp?) out the minority who act selfishly like this. The more today goes on the more I think we should have to provide evidence to support our predicted times. I would hate an elitist approach like that but these people dont realsie that they are spoiling the event for others.
    Sorry but Im really mad and I didnt want to be as the GNR is such a great race and I dont want it to be spoiled.
  • KwakaKwaka ✭✭✭
    WD - hope your leg is better now & no permanent damage done. Whatever happened to a nice polite 'excuse me can I pass', when a gap appears. It worked for me when I started getting frustrated.

Dont know how you'd solve the problem of people not sticking to their allotted pen and then walking after a couple of miles, because they've overated their ability.

Lets see what they come up with next year.
  • Lots of people just used a simple excuse me, and it worked well as long as the person gave plenty of warning that they were approaching.
    I dont know the solution either Kwaka. You are always going to get this minority I suppose. But when I do local smaller races I always start at the back cos Im slower. Its just common courtesy. The same as faster runners should not barge past people and cause injuries.
    It must have been so disappointing for you wirral Dave. I can't imagine. I thought I got off to a bad start!
  • Dave, I'm sure none of us would swap places with you, and that we all sympathise with you and wish you a speedy recovery. If that had happened to me I would be furious, as you say you had your race stolen from you. I think it's fair to say though, that the people on here who have complained, would probably be able to spot a fellow runner who is clearly in some kind of trouble and would not be unsympathetic.

Despite starting in the green numbers, and getting the best start in 5 years, I was almost brought a cropper by someone walking across the Tyne Bridge with a bucket, collecting from the spectators at the roadside. I think I'm justified in being annoyed by this, don't you?

It's a shame, but true, that in such a large number of people there will be a significant number of idiots. I saw a man in a Bedford Harriers vest throw his water bottle, more than half full as he had only taken a couple of mouthfuls, across to the side of the road with no regard for where it would end up. It struck a young lad, 'luckily' on the chest, could have been much worse. All these locals turning out to support the runners, with showers, biscuits, drinks and fruit, and this young lad has a bottle chucked at him to remember the day by.

I wish this hadn't occurred when I was at a low point, as I would have like to have had the speed in my legs to get past him and make a note of his number. I'm sure Bedfore Harriers would be proud of their athlete.

• Hi all

Well I'm finally back in Wales after a couple of days TLC from my Mam. Bettered last years time but not by as much as I would have liked. Guess that means that I'll just have to come back again next year :0)

Was it my imagination, or was it all up hill? Sure it wasn't like that last year.

Daughter really enjoyed her run on the Saturday, although I was a bit p***ed off that I couldn't see her for all the adults in the run - thought it was meant to be for kids!
  • It was my first ever race and i really enjoyed it, only been running for about 6 months properly but already i'm looking forward to entering another race.

One question, how long before i have some energy back? I still feel completely drained!!
  • I too feel a bit knackered, more so today than yesterday, prob the come down after all that runners high.
    I was going to run tonight but might leave it for another day and go early in the morning, then Thursday night ready for Coniston Trail on Saturday
  • The junior GNR is kids only.

Adults are allowed to accompany kids in the mini - if they're under a certain age I think. I did that with my 3 year old 2 years ago. One of my proudest running memories.
  • Well, I'm stil a bit sore but I'm off for a recovery run tonight. I thoroughly enjoyed this event and will definitely be back next year (after the FLM). This is absolutely the most enjoyable run I have done and was not bothered about my time throughout the race. I felt better at the end of this than some of the 10K's I've done!!
  • Sorry XL Man ... application for FLM went in the post this afternoon (5 consecutive rejections to date and you know what that means). ;-)

I can use it as a training exercise to try for the 2hr 30 I'd like to get in next years GNR! :-)

Sadly for those who got banged about, inconsiderate types are everywhere, everyday. These are the same people who can't see a roundish person in raspberry-pink rain jacket limping along with a walking pole, so manage to barge through her as they make their self-important progress through life (this happened at the weekend). You'd think someone dressed as through for a walk on Dartmoor would look a bit obvious on the tube, wouldn't you!! A few of my "that's alright, you go on ahead!"s did elicit an apology, but not many.
  • I am bereft :0(

Is there anyone still in my camp?
    Charlie Bear I think.
  • It's not too late to put in an application yourself!! You wont get in first time! Honest!!!
  • XL - I have no problem with adults running with the younger kids, but I would like to have been able to see her as she was apparently only 10 yards away!
  • Hi Rachel, sorry if my post read as if I was having a go. I didn't meant to.
    Of course you'd be annoyed at not being able to see her. It was your last sentence, I just wondered of you thought it was exclusively for kids.
    Apologies if I offended.
  • Folks, bods are slowly migrating to the 2007 thread started by Vicki

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?dt=&UTN=90358&last=1&V=1&SP=

See youse there?

Now, really must go and sort out some dinner!
  • Think we should say goodbye to this thread on 7887, nicley palindromic
  • No offence taken, only problem I now have is daughter wants to do the junior run next year - case of been there done it for the mini run, but she will have to wait three years!!

Meant to say, thought of you at 5 miles and again at 8, afraid to say that by 11 I was wobbling slightly :0)
  • So I will bid a fond farewell to this thread ...
  • I think a lot of us were wobbling at 10 and 11.

That's all folks
    :0)
  • As one of the complainers re: number/pen allocation, the best solution i can come up with is:
    RED: Elite
    GREEN: 1:25 or better, but must provide proof
    BLUE: 1:35 or better, with proof.
    YELLOW: 1:45 or better, with proof.
    ORANGE: Predicted time below 1:45.
    PINK: Predicted time below 2:15.
    WHITE: Predicted time below 2:45
    GREY: All other numbers.

For runners who have done 20+ GNR's their own choice of colour except RED unless proof.
    For 10+ GNR's their own choice, except RED/GREEN unless proof.

Any thoughts ?