Options

I want to run

Comments

• Options
    If you're just starting out then I wouldn't worry too much about the precise distance - just work on the time on your feet. Sure - it's nice to know how far you've run, and the suggestions above are useful, but please don't let the fact you don't know the precise distance stop you getting out of the door. Get yourself running, worry about the rest later :o)

By the way, Paula Radcliffe has asthma. While I'm obviously not advocating ignoring the asthma altogether, it goes to show what can be done. I think I also heard that Roger Black does too :o)

Best of luck with the running, Iain
  • Options
    I'm beginning yet again having run some years ago. I know what you're going through because that step getting out the door is hard.

Some suggestions from my experience -
    Don't worry about distance until you can jog slowly for thirty minutes.
    Don't push yourself too hard - otherwise you'll exhaust yourself, find the stiffness very painful and end up catching every cold and bug going. None of these are good motivators.
    Find things you enjoy looking at and try and work out a route that will give you these things.
    Don't trust dogs - and watch the dogs more than their owners who always think their precious is just playing!
    Move (not necessarily run) with purpose and attitude.
    Don't make excuses - as Nike say - Just do it.
    Hang in there and go out even on the nasty wet evenings - just wear appropriate clothing.
    The first few weeks may be difficult but once you're running regularly and find yourself going further and faster even uphill then the motivation to get out there becomes easier.

All the very best and I know you can do it.
    Phil
  • Options
    Coco-CatCoco-Cat ✭✭✭
    Hi Sue

I've just read the whole of this thread and the advice is really good. I can't add much to it except to say that the forum is brilliant for motivation, which we all need from time to time.

If that hill is really putting you off, then start off by running down it and walking back up. Gradually over the next few weeks, start to jog slowly back up, walk a bit, jog again and repeat til you get to the top. Each week you will be able to do more than the week before and that is intrinsically motivating.

I've found that a lot of running is mental rather than physical and I think you have to appreciate that when you start out.
  • Options
    Hi Sue
    I really know where your coming from. I was very self consious when I first started running. If felt that everyone was watching me and laughing at me but now I don't care, I just think at least I am doing something worthwhile and improving my health and wellbeing.
    I would just like to pick up on something that v-rap mentioned earlier about your children being proud of you. I managed to do the Race for Life back in May and was so proud of myself but even more so because when I crossed the finish line my 7 year old son was there and he gave me the biggest hug ever - he was so proud I had run the race and had a medal round my neck. It was a wonderful feeling and has really inspired me to continue my running.

Keep up the good work.

Fi
  • Options
    Hi everyone

This thread is brilliant fun. Road Runner is right - the mental game is very important. I recently completed a lifelong goal by finishing an Ironman triathlon, and I learned many things during the marathon at the end of the event.

Most of all, I learned that almost nothing is of real importance - love is, sarcasm directed at you is not, self doubt is not.

Your body, no matter what shape or fitness level, is absolutely devastatingly, incredibly, brutally brilliant for surviving life on Earth. When your body say's "no", your mind really can say "go" - and it will always go. You can rely on it. I have proven it for myself.

Vrap your replies are so sharp that I cut myself. Good though. Dinosaurs are proof of the fact that we only have a short time here - no time to worry about what people we don't know, who don't run, think about us. Be inspired by the weak people who mock, but will never become runners themselves - for many are called but few are chosen!

Reflecting back on this thread, I have one closing, heartfelt piece of advice for Sue:

"Love that hill"

Keep running pals!

Gavin
  • Options
    Whaddya mean, only a short tome, Gavin? I've been about since the Jurassic period and don't plan on extinction for a long time yet.
  • Options
    hi sue,
    being 5ft 1in and 4 stone overweight i was obviously very self-concious about starting running. i still realise that when i run every bit of my body jiggles and i'm glad i can't see! however, it has gradually become to dawn on me that all these people i'm passing on the street probably couldn't keep up with me (even if i'm slow!) so that makes me feel really good and i no longer care if they think i look stupid, fat, unfit, etc.
    just get out there and do it! i get the best feeling when i've been out for a run and tried my hardest - it's a real buzz!!
    the major thing i've found out that's surpised me is that my body can do more than i thought it could! my mind says - i'm supposed to run 4 miles today (acording to training plan) but i don't think i can do that. my body replies with - i'll do anything you ask of me (within reason)!!
  • Options
    Hi Guys. this really is an inspirational thread! I've been feeling pretty down about not losing weight, have been tired and pissed off at work and thinking I wouldn't be able to manage the 7.6M run i have scheduled for tonight... BUT now I 'm feeling the motivation coming back! The weather is pants here, well, it always is in Leeds, but I'm going out there anyway!

All the best to everyone in achieving the targets they've set themselves!
  • Options
    Hi everyone. I'm new to all this running business, and as several people have mentioned, this is a very inspirational thread!

I have been running on and off for the last couple of years - mostly off actually, the "on" would happen when Mr KC would kick me out of bed and bully me around for 20 odd minutes, every couple of weeks! As a result, I have never enjoyed it.

But a couple of weekends ago we went out on a Sunday and after a 10 minute jog we did some fartlek with sprint and walking bits. And suprise suprise - I loved it! I finally felt my body working properly, everything seemed to flow.

Am now running (slowly, but it still counts!) for 20 - 30 minutes 4 - 5 times a week. For a whole two weeks. Ok, so that's not very long, but for the first time ever, the little voice inside my head isn't coming up with a hundred and one excuses not to go.

I still feel very self conscious when running, but it's nice to think that I'm faster than lots of the other people out there. I had never thought of it that way!

If you're anything like me, Sue, you will have a stubborn streak somewhere in you, and like me, you just need to point it in the right direction!
  • Options
    and if all that isn't enough - I'm an on-off asthmatic runner(gradually more on than off) who's lung capacity is increasing - wow! as I first got asthma as a teenager, this generally means you don't grow out of it and it tends to get worse with age, so to actually improve is such a bonus! My doctor is the same age - 45, 10 years ago my peak flow was much lower than his, it's now higher, and he's a man.
    So if for nothing else, do it for your retirement!! Good luck.
  • Options
    I've really enjoyed reading this thread. Can I just say to Gavin, your point about the body being designed to survive is spot on; that's why challenges like marathons change people - realising that the seemingly impossible can be possible.
  • Options
    this IS a great thread
    What happened to Sue though?
  • Options
    TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭
    I started running 6 months ago in order to do a Race for Life, and my first run/walk a minute I thought I was going to die on the spot. Anyway I kept it all up and progressed and did the 5K without stopping. Have now joined a running club and go out with them twice a week and now running 5/6 miles each time.

What I have noticed just this last few weeks though is that previously any excuse not to go to Joggers, ie. invite to the pub or something and I wouldn't go; I am now turning down potentially serious good nights out to go to Joggers because I WANT to go running. Never ever would I have thought that I would have turned into a 'runner'.
  • Options
    A word for all asthmatics out there...DONT LET IT STOP YOU.
    I was diagnosed with asthma almost 2 years ago and was referred to hospital on several occassions, I couldn't walk up the stairs without stopping to catch my breath and was off work for over a month because of it. I ended up taking Montelukast tablets, 3 different inhalers, rhinitis spray and then on top of that antibiotics and steroid tablets for a week about once a month.
    I had given up all hope of ever being able to do anything any more exciting than chess ever again.
    I have now started running, and although I am no Paula Radcliffe, and have to kick myself seriously hard just to go out for 10 mins, I have stopped using asthma as an excuse, in fact I have stopped taking almost all of my medication (I'm not recommending you do this!) and feel much better for it. I still have the odd turn so do have to be careful but I have found that the fitter I get the less it bothers me.
    Hope this encourages those with less than perfect lungs...
  • Options
    Hi, well lets say I'm the new Sue!I have terrible problems just getting out off the door some nights,I know when I'm out I do enjoy it.
    I so often dream ov running a marathon, but i realy don't know where to start.At the mo i try to run 2-3 times a week for about 40mins, plus I play Hockey on Saturdays train for Hockey on Mondays and Thursdays, for about 1 1/2hrs each night' so how can I fit in all of the traing for the marathon that all of the books and magazines tell me that I have to.
    I'm not planning to run this dream ov mine in the next 6 months I know, maybe in the next 6 years but I know I have to start somewhere,does anybody play another sport at a reasonally high level and run marathons if so where do I start.
    I'm sure if I had a goal to aim for then it would be so easy to get out on the roads without being, well somehow pulled back.
    Please help me come up with some sort of programe.
    CHEERS KATE H
  • Options
    Hi Kate/Sue (if you're still reading)
    Last December, my boss convinced me into training for the London Marathon. I was 32, 4 stone overweight, and hadn't run since the 5th year. I used the walk/run programme, which I'm sure will still be on this web site somewhere. The week before Christmas, I started. I went out the front door, and ran for 45 seconds. It nearly killed me. I then walked for 5 minutes, then ran, walked, ran walked. The next week I ran for 1 minute, the following for 2 etc, etc. The first time I ran a mile, I was so proud. Had lots of highs and lows, but the best high was crossing the line on that sunny day in April. OK, it took me 6.5 hours, but I ran the whole way. I ran for 26 miles. I've not done too much running over the summer, but have entered the marathon again this year, and needed to start again. This thread has been brilliant - thanks everyone! And good luck Kate - you can run the Marathon - you just have to start running!
  • Options
    Kate, I used to play Hockey and run (now I just run). You are probably very fit already from the hockey but possibly need to improve your endurance. I used to play hockey 2x per week and run 4x. I would imagine that you would need very little in the way of speed training runs and should concentrate on some long slow distance. Why don't you try adding 2 of these to your current program and see how you go?

You can always add another run as the time draws closer for your race but you may find you don't need to. If you keep up the hockey you will need a modified marathon training program to follow. Someone on this site is bound to be able to help with that when the time comes.

Good luck!
  • Options
    I always said I couldn't run, and used to walk uphill on the treadmill and cycle. Then in April I decided that fit people don't walk, they run, so upped the treadmill speed and ran for 10 minutes. Thought I was going to die and had a terrible stitch, but kept going and haven't looked back since.

In July I ran my first 10k, did it without walking or stopping in under an hour. Hated every second of it and vowed never to do anything like it again, then was on such a high when I finished that I couldn't wait to do another race.

A couple of weeks ago I did the Great South Run (10 miles) in 90 minutes, had a fantastic day and really enjoyed it.

If anyone had told me in April that I would run 10 miles six months later I would have thought they were mad! Now I am completely addicted and run for pure pleasure as well as for all the health benefits.

So my message is that if I can do it, anyone can do it. I think the main challenge is mental. I live up a hill and when I was cycling regularly I decided that I would always cycle back up the hill to my house without stopping, however tired I was. Now I have resolved never to walk on a run, so I don't.

So get out there and good luck!

• Options
    Just wondering if any of you guys have signed up for the Crowborough 10k? This is my first run and I am starting training this week(!!)...any tips? Apart from hill running...I hear it's a challenge. A lot of work to do in a short time....

• Options
    I have been going to the gym since June this year as I wanted to lose some weight and to be honest haven't noticed much difference at all (slightly more toned that's it)- only want to lose about 1/2 stone. So I decided that I would start running on treadmill at the gym for as long as possible to try and lose weight that way.

However my problem is that one day when I go to the gym I will be able to run for between 14 - 18 mins at 8.0 speed and then another day I will be dead by 10 mins and powerwalk the last 10 mins and then another time I will do the hill programme and be able to run for 15-20 mins apart from the highest peak (usually about 4.5) which lasts 1 min!

Why am I not consistent in my running? I also have the habit of running on the balls of my feet so another reason I have to stop is because sometimes my calfs are screaming!
  • Options
    This is a great ‘thread’, everyone! I am one such person who needs the motivation you guys are providing.

I’m a 43 year-old guy who once ran half-marathons, many years ago BC (before children) with a PB of 1:32:51 (always wanted to get sub-1:30, but still proud of this, all the same!). A couple of years ago, I got back into running, shed 3 stones and felt fantastic. But somehow, I've lapsed again. Y’know, spending too long in the office and, instead of getting home on time to run, I trundle home late, stopping off at the ‘offy’ for a bottle of wine!

But, it has got to STOP! I’ve started a subscription to ‘Runner’s World’ and started to read one of The Penguin’s books! And, with you guys on these forums (fora?!), I am really hoping I can turn the tide.... and maybe, just maybe, enter a half-marathon again!

Can I do it, y’all?.........
  • Options
    OF COURSE!!!!

I had a long layoff to have two kids and am now back with a vengence!
    Once you get going you will love it all over again.
    Good luck
  • Options
    Thanks, Patouka! Any tips, as my first efforts haven't been too promising?!! ( and I'm definitely not a first-thing-in-the-morning kinda runner!).
  • Options
    If your first efforts haven't been too good are you trying to do too much too soon? I found that the most important thing in my comeback was to get into the running 'habit'
    I would go out for 20minutes only, but 4x per week. Then when I didn't feel like it I would just say to myself, well it's only 20 min.

I was soon running 30min 5x per week and am now running 30miles per week!

You very soon begin to like the habit of being a runner if you go out for frequent short runs and it becomes easier to lengthen them because you want to. Even now if I don't feel like it I get out the door by promising myself I can turn back after 20 min.

It's a tough time of year to start because of the dark and cold, but can really get you started for the day. I know you said you don't like mornings, but what if you start slowly with some stretches and only do 20 min, then you wouldn't have to get up too much earlier!
  • Options
    Thanks again, Patouka. Great to have such tried and tested advice... and encouragement!
  • Options
    ... and guess what? I went out for a 15 minute run this evening with my 14 year old son, took it very easy, and it was great! We managed to hold a conversation all the way round, and didn't feel exhausted on arriving back at the front door! Onwards and UPWARDS!!!.........
  • Options
    Children are great motivators. I regularly run with my five year old son (he on his bike and me running beside him!) after school for between 3 and 6 miles. It's usually the only time he tells me about his day at school (isn't it amazing that at all other times he "can't remember" what he did that day!!!). He's getting lots of exercise and fresh air and he helps keep my pace by constantly keeping a conversation going. Infact the times I don't run with him I miss his company and have to pretend to talk to him to keep my pace !!
  • Options
    PATOUKA! I gotta thank you! Its all starting to come together! At the weekend, my lad and I each clocked up ten miles over three days (2+4+4). Now, to some, this might not seem a huge achievement. But after a number of painful 'going nowhere' runs, it suddenly started to feel good. And, this evening, one of my shorter runs seemed far more comfortable - I've obviously grown stronger, mentally and physically. Now, instead of it being a chore, I can't wait to get back out there.... and then feel the wonderful 'runner's high' afterwards. So, thanks a million for your words of encouragement!!
  • Options
    What happend to Sue, did she keep on running!!

I joined the local running club back in May they were doing a 10 week ladies beginners course. It was great as we all felt we were in the same boat. By the end of the 10 weeks I'd run my first 10k and 2 weeks ago I did my first half-marathon in 2 hours and 1 min... not bad for a beginner. But there was no pressure for anyone to perform and some of the ladies are still happily going out running 3 -5 miles. So go join your local club they really do welcome everyone.

PS nothing beats the feeling you get when your 15 year old son says I'm really proud of your running mum! If thats not motivation then I don't know what is.
  • Options
    Wow, you guys should take up motivational coaching. You're brilliant!!
    I particularly like Gavins tip from a couple of years ago about running a certain amount of miles before a deadline. That's the kind of goal that works for me, something I can tick off a calendar.
    But first I need to go shopping - a new pair of trainers methinks! Hee hee