I want to run

Comments

• I posted on this thread back in the days when I was young and innocent and had alot LESS motivation than I have now

so...

I hope I don't offend anyone...

Motivation
  • Cath, you're amazing, a real inspiration.

• dippy -- I don't really think I am. I just know that if I can do it, anyone can.

:o)
  • Like Dippy I think this is all FAB, and wonder what happend to Sue too, having just realised that her original message was Aug 02! I'm fast approaching 35, 4 stone over weight, and never done any form of exersise in my life EVER, but tonight I am going on my first 'run' Ha Ha. From what I've read here, I will be lucky to make it to the end of the 200yd road, but it's a start. I had been hoping to run a 10k in June, but it sounds like this is a bit too ambitious!
    Thanks everyone for taking the time to write here - It REALLY is appreciated. Hayley x
  • Hayley, for your first run, use the lampposts. Not in dog type way, that could result in a neighbourly fall-out and potential arrest, instead walk to your first, then run (nice and easy)to the second and so on. Walk for the first 200yds and last 200yds aswell - Never run straight out of your door, it means you get chance for your heart rate and muscles to get going and cool down. Your neighbours will think you're a bit idle as they only ever see you walking but we don't care! Good luck, and watch out for dog poo...
  • Good luck Hayley, and to add to what Clinker says, just remember that once you get through the first 10 mins of run-walk it honestly gets a lot easier after that. Something to do with your body needing a few minutes to start dealing effectively with lactic acid, I believe.
  • Thank you Thank you Thank you. I really mean it. Can I also ask about eating - like when do I? Before (and if so, how long) or when I get home?
    I usually eat with the kids around 5, but will be 'out the door' as soon as hubby gets home at 6.30pm so....and finally, how long am I looking to be out for, for my first go?
    Hayley x
  • Hayley - EVERYONE can succeed in running, as long as they have the belief.... and also the patience, when they don't appear to be improving! I have had some great encouragement earlier in this thread - take a look. I used to run half-marathons (PB 1:32:51), but currently run only a few miles a week. I am determined, however, despite the lapse over Christmas (!), to get back to half-marathon fitness. And I can't put into words the feeling of good health and fitting properly into clothes! Keep going, gal! If I can do it... SO CAN YOU!
  • Hi Everyone - this is my first post!

I'm new to running and I'm currently on my second week of an 8-week run/walk program - going out for 20-mins three times a week - it's not so easy in the beginning is it?!! But I'm determined (so far!) to EVENTUALLY be able to run for 30-mins without stopping and then plan to join my local running club...when I'm feeling brave enough!

Just wanted to introduce myself really and say what a helpful forum this is - very inspiring and motivating - which is certainly proving useful to me right now - so 'thanks' and speak to you all soon!

Sue =)
  • Hi Hayley and Sue,

Just a quick hello to welcome to the forum I've not been here all that long myself but as you'll have noticed everyone is really friendly and helpful.

The walk/run programme is really good and you'll be amazed how quickly your fitness builds up. I first did it for the Race for Life and was running for 3o minutes within weeks but stupidly I let my training go after the race and am starting again. This week I'm R3/W3 x 4 and on Friday it goes up to R5. Have confidence in your body, it's an amazing machine and as long as you fuel it with the right foods and and rest it on none run days it will deliver.

It might be an idea to enter a race a few weeks away to give you a goal to aim for, itworked for me. I'm going to aim for a half marathon (though I've not entered any yet) because I think once I can run those sorts of distances there's no way I'll allow myself to lose it.

And best of all you'll be thrilled with how fast your body starts to tone up!

Keep up the good work and USE the forums, they're great for motivation and advice.
  • Im really crap at running, to fat, to slow, knackered lungs from donkeys years of smoking like a trooper (not any more mind) but so far ive managed to go from a 5k to a half mara and all this from not being able to run to the end of the road.

Much used phrase but if i can do it any one can and lots of peeps on here have supported my moans/groans/pathetic efforts with kindness, humor and warmth.

good luck and enjoy
  • Hi Hayley,
    Keep up the good work. About the eating....it's really not a good idea to eat a big meal before you go out running as you're liable to feel very uncomfortable, get a stitch or be sick (quite possibly all 3!) So much better to have a healthy snack (banannas are good) about an hour before you run to keep your energy levels up and then have your main meal once you get back.

The 10k in June is not too ambitious, believe in yourself. I did a 10 week beginners course at my local running club with 15 other ladies last year. On the 10th week we all took part in a 10k race and every one of us made it home and we definately came in all shapes and sizes! You will be able to do it so go on and get your entrance form sent off. Good luck.

L. x
  • Lorraine,
    Sounds like a really good running club
  • Yep Bishops Stortford RC,in Hertfordsire. One very dedicated lady and a team of volunteers look after 20 ladies for the whole 10 weeks, there's theory as well as pratical and they get a chance to do x-country, relay races with the rest of the club and 5 & 10k races if they want. If only more clubs offered courses like this then beginners would not feel too intemerdated to join them. I certainly would not have been brave enough without the course!
  • Hello everyone :) I'd just like to introduce myself and say what a really good thread this is. I've just recently become interested in wanting to run and, just lately, I was thinking that maybe I was kidding myself that I could ever become a runner.....until I began reading everyone's posts here!
    Anyway, I'm a 51 year old and the reason I want to run is that I love being outdoors and I want a challenge. I'd love to be able to do the Great North Run (I live in County Durham), both for the achievement and for being able do contribute to my chosen charity.
    Thanks so much to all the contributors here. I've read so many encouraging posts, gathered loads of sensible and interesting information....and had a really good laugh at the same time. lol
    Hayworth :)
  • Hi Hayworth,

I'm new to the forum too and have found it really useful for tips and motivation...

I've just come back from my first session of run 3min/walk 1 min(week 3 of my 8-week program)and it was hard but I managed it - albeit slowly! I just keep thinking every time I go out it's a step closer to my goal of running for 30mins non-stop.

Also, I've just finished reading John Bingham's book 'no need for speed' - has anyone else read this? I found it had loads of helpful info for new runners and about races etc...worth a look =)
  • Hi Kirbot,
    Well done on the 3mins running....I'm still doing the run for 1 minute! lol The day before yesterday I did my 1 minute runs for the twenty minutes and decided to carry on walking, as I had my two dogs with me. We did a 5mile round walk and I felt so good when I came back that I overhauled my bedroom cupboard and the living-room. I paid for it last night though, as I fell into bed at 8p.m.!lol
    Thanks for the book recommendation - I'll look out for it.
    Hayworth :)
  • That's great! I didn't run for 3 days last week as I was really busy at work (and a bit lazy!) and I felt unusually sluggish and had sore shoulders - then after my first run this week I felt fine again - it must be doing some good!
  • CollinsCollins ✭✭✭
    Hi Everyone

May I join you please?

I am just beyond the very beginning. I followed a walk/run programme for 10 weeks and amazed myself that I got to where they said I should be.

Now I sometimes find it very difficult to go out for my training runs, simply because I do a few good runs and then get overly anxious about going out. I wish I could get it through my thick skull that it is better to go out than to be great. I just want to be a runner. I am doing a 10k in June and would really like to do a half marathon in the autumn. Am I good enough. My mother brainwashed me that I'm not good enough in anything. I want to get over that and just know that I am a runner.

I would really appreciate talking to you all about finding motivation and just getting out there and doing the stuff. Any tips would be great and I offer camaraderie in return.

thanks
  • hello I ouwl alos like to introuce myself, I really want to be a runner, my hubby does marathons etc and beng a working mother with 2 small children I need something for myself. So far I am up to about 15-17 mins slow running. I read lots of programmes but for my own reasons I didn't want to stick to them so I just went in my own sweet way. I run as much as I can then walk for as long as is necessary. Not the right way probably but it works for me.

I just don't think I am any good, I beat myself up if I didn't do as well as the last time. Still I am up for advice and am supportive so take care everybody.
    Cheers
    Julie
  • Julie
    go and check out the beginners forum]there usually a title with "plod"in it

or--health and injury-daily thread wih alliterative titles-fun nice peeps to chat to but we all run
    and we were all beginners once
  • Hey
    well im a plodder at the momen - i feel reall embarressed if peopel see me running as I am not small chested and I have at least 3 stone to lose.
    I have been trying to lose weight after packing u[ smoking a few years ago and i s a struggle - I suffer from panic disorder so was afraid to run in case I had a panice attack but I've been fine - I must say i really lac motivation I don't know why really because I want more than anything to fell healthy again and slim down and like myself - I was always an outgoing person but feel like I have lost my sparkle along the way I am 43 and was always fit and went to step aerobics 3 times a week, but as the years have gone on I feel a wreck, dont get me wrong I am a million times better as I think the tablets help !! I did become a bit of a recluse at one stage , I have been out running and I love to be out and feel a great sense of achievement once I have been but I feel knocked out for days , my friend who I go with is fab - she has been running for a year and really sets my pace when I run wit ther I tend to jog for longer, I really would love to run but know that aint likel yet, reading all these threas has inspired me more and I have also been talking to a few other people on different threads, does anyone else feel embarressed when they go out for a jog - i have to go where no-one can see me now how sad am I !!
    anyway hope not bored you all keep up the good work
    V-rAP YOU INSPIRE !!
    PLOD ON PPL
    lizzie x
  • good girl!!!!!!!!
    Im 3 stone over , and 34 ff
    I plod marathons
    why not
    bugger what others think
  • oh blimey
    just seen how old this thread is
    Im still ploddin
  • Hi everybody,

I am new to this forum. I started running a few months ago, when I had set a goal to join Race for Life in Regent's Park in London. I had never been running before, so I had to start from the bottom; 1 minute run, 1 minute walking...and that 10 times. Nog I can run 20-25 minutes without stopping. The 5K I did in 37 minutes. Not very fast, but I did it.

On Sunday I do Hydro Womens Challenge in Hyde Park. Don't know if I will be faster this time; I have the feeling I am not improving........we'll see.

How is everybody else doing?
  • hi i would like to start running but dont know where to start as i am over weight, i look really stupid running and really lack motivation so if anyone has any tips, advice, knows of any beginner courses to running in the croydon area or just wants to kick my butt please contact me to do so 
  • also does anyone know of any alternatives to eating bananas for energy as i really cant stand the taste or smell of bananas
  • Hi Laura-Jayne and welcome.

There are loads of threads on this forum with advice and help, I can only tell you what has worked for me ( and I'm still working on it!)

• Get properly fitted for decent shoes at a proper running shop ( not JJB etc). I felt really silly going into Sweatshop which was full of fit young things jogging around. Explained I was just starting out, had never even run for a bus and didnt have much money. The guy was really nice and helpful and I came out with decent shoes that were in the sale eager to start.
    • Get a decent sports bra, it really helps(!)
    • Find a beginners training plan. Doesnt matter if you have no race in mind it will help to you to focus and improve without injury. There are loads on this site or Google some.
    • Listen to your body, it will tell you when you are overdoing it etc. Go at your own pace and do whats right for you, especially when you read about other runners who seem to improve in minutes!
    • Keep a running/exercise log listing what you did, how you felt etc. When you look back you can see how far you have come even if they are tiny steps.
    • Running is great for losing weight but you also need a sensible eating plan to help the weight come off and stay off.
    • You may think you look stupid but take heart in the fact that you are getting off you ar*e and doing something which is lot more than most of the population.
    • Keep reading through the the forums; they have helped me soooo much.

Hope all this rambling helps. Good luck and keep us postedimage

• thanx for the advice ginntonix i think i'll get of my arse on friday and try to go for a run after i get somr decent running shoes. i'll keep you updated with how i get on.