Leeds Abbe Dash

One I've always meant to do, so have entered this year - I assume the course is fairly quick, but crowded, i guess - lots of comedy costumes about?

Several new runners from where I work doing it, so should be ok for a splendid lunch and a few snifters afterwards...

Comments

• Me and some of the chaps from work are taking part - one's a newbie. According to the boss (fitness freak who runs 3 peaks for fun at weekend), it's flat & fast. Last year the last finisher was just over 1hr30 and distinct lack of comedy runners.
    However, it is for chariteeee - so things could change!
  • Evening, TPL.

I know you're doing it. I was wondering if anyone I don't work with was.

Yours,

Fitness Freaky Colleague.
    From embsay.
  • I'm in and I don't think I work with you. I am looking for another job though so if you could bear that in mind. I should probably ask what you do first. If it's licking toilets clean then I'll probably pass. Up for virtually anything else though! Anyway...

Did this one last year. It's fast/flat and was good fun. I don't remember too many dressed up runners or the course getting too crowded. I managed to get a pb anyway which I'm hoping to break.

I think there's a few people doing it. There was another thread somewhere I'm sure..
  • Not done this one before but i'm in for it 2. I've heard its flat & fast so looks a good shot for a PB.
  • I'm in. I did it last year and enjoyed the city centre finish. I thought I was a famous racer for a minute...
  • I did it last year too and will be back again this year. It's great when the faster runners come back the other way and give you loads of encouragement.
  • I call that depressing....
  • I'm doing the Horsforth 10k on Sunday, so The Dash will be only my second 10k...I don't have a PB yet!!
  • Nell Mcandrew was talking about this on the Chris Moyles Breakfast show before the GNR, she's going to be doing it.

If I can get some freinds to go up to Leeds for the weekend, I might consider it, my first race!!
  • Or not be doing it as the closing date was 1st september :(
  • I have done it the last 2 years, and like it. It's a very fast course, but there are a lor of runners so most people will lose some time.
    I like it because it's a month before Christmas, and it's therefore great for doing some Christmas shopping after the race. Most runners should be back and changed before the shops open at 11am.
    Later we usually go on to Harry Ramsden in Guisley for guilt free fish and chips.
  • Helen

The event website says the closing date is 13th November unless its full.

• I think on RW Events page it says 1st Sep but on the Help The Aged website it says 13 Nov!
  • It's postal entries that closed on 1st Sept apparently - so should still be able to register online if all the places aren't taken.

H - after my references to the boss in my message (I should have checked the profile or squinted at the photo at least!) you can probably have my job!

Am now a little concerned about the 'fast runners coming other way' scenario. . . .
  • Hello mind if I join in. I'm in this year missed last year due to been 8 months pregnant but did it the two years before that.It's a great course and the leaders coming back towards you is a boost , especially if you do it again next year and your abit futher along the course before you spot them.

I hear that they are chipping you this year which is great as the start can be abit slow if you get stuck at the back.
  • They used the timing chips last year too.

The 'fast runners coming the other way' bit is actually one of the highlights of the race, as far as I can see. Both sides of the road can encourage one another.
  • Chipping A good thing then U/A ? never been chipped before.Do you think it helped get a more acurate time?
  • this was my first 10k and first race other the RfL, and I enjoyed every minute. Entered again this year, but haven't been plodding much so am not expecting to be much better. I started quite far back knowing that I am a plodder not a sprinter and the difference between gun and chip time was 3 mins - so yes claire, much more accurate (as blonde me forgot to set my watch going!). See you all there
  • Plenty of time nsc to get some plodding in before the race.
  • I want to do this but it's full up and they say there's 200 people on the waiting list :-(
  • I'm doing it.
  • I've just emailed the organisers to say I can't take up my place. So that should make 199 on the waiting list.

There's also a bigger thread here
  • I applied to run it a fair few weeks ago. I injured my medial collateral ligament in my knee at the beginning of October - hopefully I will be able to do it! I was devastated as I've only ever ran one 10k before and I was proud of my 56'20" time. I've put on a few pounds and not ran at all since! I'm off to the gym tonight to do some treadmill work!
    Anyway, my dog's been chipped - does that mean my wife will know where I am all the time??
  • Hi, mind if I join in. Hoping to do this one - sent off postal application a few weeks ago but haven't heard anything. Seems to be a few closing dates flying around but the form I downloaded definitely said November so heres hoping! Know a couple of people who have done it before and say it's a really good course for PBs.
  • Elaine, I work at Leeds General Infirmary which is a stones' throw from the finish line! A few guys here applied last month and were told that there are a couple o'hundred folk on the waiting list!! I haven't heard anything! I called them and was told the 'stuff' will be sent during the first week in November! The phone number is on the website - give them a call! Hope ye're lucky!
  • Thanks TT. Doesn't sound like I should be holding out much hope! Just read your profile - WOW!!!
  • MOTR,
    I strained my Medial Collateral Ligament - so I haven't lost any weight for a month! It's my own fault - couldn't go for a run so I opened a bottle of Rioja!! I'm almost back to the sub-standard I was before so I'm hoping The 'Dash is still on!
  • If anyone knows anyone who can't run they're happy to transfer entries - mrs andy can't run, so my mate aussie vic is running instead. They just needed name, address, dob and t-shirt size...
  • Just got my runners pack the other day. Race Number, timing chip, and a t-shirt in bright yellow. Makes a change from the dark blue of the past few years, but I can't wash it with my other 2 dozen white ones. Now where can I find enough yellow clothes to make up a load.

• Norwich City laundry?