Options

Taunton Marathon

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    Just wonderinmg from any of you that have had your numbers back (slight prob with mine)- somebody said to me yesterday that the marathon and HM runners are seperated at the start so that you know who'se doing what. Is that right?
  • Options
    Last year the marathon runners were on the right-hand side of the road, and half-marathoners on the left. This year it seems to be starting in the bus lay-by so who knows.
  • Options
    Just don't get on a bus then if one comes along!!!
  • Options
    My cold has really taken hold and felt so rough yesterday that forced to take first day off sick for 6 years. Have made it in to work today, but haven't run since Monday. I don't have to make a decision about my participation in this one until the morning really. My hopes of going for an age category best time (ie sub 3:38) have all but gone, but I would still like to use it as a training run for the Discovery.

The numbers will tell you who is in marathon and who is in half. Us marathon runners have to wear numbers front & back, but I think half-ers have only one number.
  • Options
    Dunnarunner I too will be using this as a training run. Don't think about blasting round it's early days yet for the year and there are plenty of marathons to do this year in better weather.
  • Options
    My cold is showing no signs of letting go, so my particiaption, at least in the full marathon, is now in some doubt.
  • Options
    parrotmadparrotmad ✭✭✭
    I am quite looking forward to this now, although I am still recoverig from an ear infection/cold which has meant I hve hardly run at all in the last 2 weeks :-( It will be my third marathon and I am hoping to go sub-4 hours (did 4:03 at Abingdon last year!) My friend is doing it with me, it is his first marathon and he is hoping or sub-4 as well - he is a very good runner so I think he will do just fine, I just hope I don't let the side down ;-)

Do we know how many people have put down to do the full marathon?
  • Options
    Parrotmad - I think that there will be around 200 runners in the full but I am not sure! I hope the weather gets better for us come the end of the week as it really has been dreadful!
    Don't forget people - Lidl are selling running gear again on the 30th! Check out the website, click specials.
  • Options
    parrotmadparrotmad ✭✭✭
    I hope the weather picks up too, not looking forward to doing it in the rain!

200? I thought Abingdon was small ;-)
  • Options
    I think I prefer the format to Taunton to the only other marathon Ive done at Luton, which included a three lap relay. Having a group of fresh runners whizz by you when you've done 18 miles does knock the stuffing out of you.

That said, Luton is a very well organised event, and worth a go if you want a Marathon in December.

As for Taunton I will be aiming for around 3:10 if the weather is reasonable, and my lack of long runs doesn't come back to haunt me.
  • Options
    Will there be any energy drinks on route ??
    Anyone, Thanks

No 111
  • Options
  • Options
    Campo
    Just water from the race organisers; anything else you have to arrange yourself.
  • Options
    Campo - are you doing the full marathon? If you are, and no-one's with you, I can arrange to meet you at half way (around the finish of the half marathon) and hand you a drink there if that would help. I'm not running, I could meet you before so you can give me the drink, so we both know who we're looking for and so we can arrange a good spot.
  • Options
    There's a full list of entrants on the official race web site and I've heard that they're not taking any more entries now.

Anyone heard a weather forecast for Sunday?
  • Options
    Good to see that there 12 clubs who have entered enough runners for the team competition.

Sunday weather forecast was wet & windy when I checked yesterday - not ideal!

Juggler has entered I see, but he rarely posts these days.
  • Options
    parrotmadparrotmad ✭✭✭
    At least it shouldn't be cold on Sunday, it said a high of 12deg on the BBC weather site earlier.

3 days!!!
  • Options
    Hi Plodding Hippo,

Are you entered in Taunton or is the Cut off time - 4H 30m to low?

I did not see you entered in the Compton Downland 40 Miler last weekend so I thought you maybe saving the Legs for this race.

The Aussie
  • Options
    Dearest Tauntonians,

Can anyone suggest a retailer of energy bars within the environs of fairest Taunton?
  • Options
    Hi Plodder
    Yep Luton is good. Are you running Taunton? I'll look out for you.

200 minutes
    Thanks for the info

ValP
    That's a kind offer, but why can't you run? I am running both laps and hopefully my wife is going to pass me some energy drink. I ran a 20 miler in Gloucester a few weeks back on water and just one gel that I had on me. I was going well at 6:45 min miles, when my legs just seized up with 4 miles to go. I know I was going too fast, but I couldn't believe how quick it happened. Felt bad finishing like that, so I don't want a repeat. Not No.111 anymore lost number, they are going to issue me a new one.
    Thanks again Campo
  • Options
    Try runningforever.com for all your running stuff, the shops in taunton near the station.
  • Options
    I've been watching the half marathon forum and it has been doing little - so even though I am merely running 13.1 miles can I join the forum?

Latest weather for Sunday showers and sunny intervals, 13 deg, Westerly 23 MPH wind!!!! However, I can only hope the weather builds to this wind peak as it did today - ie morning still, sunny and bright deteriorating with the day, at least then we will get the best part of the day for the run.

An interesting fact is at 10 or 23.1 miles on the course there is a pub - it's name "The World's End!!!" - Have fun and respect to all you Marathoners - may your glycogen be long lasting...
  • Options
    parrotmadparrotmad ✭✭✭
    ^^ "The Worlds End" that will really cheer me up at 23 miles I'm sure :D
  • Options
    paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    Hi Hippo, Shades, richk, mooey, and everyone, would be really nice to see youse!

Anyone going to meet up tonight?

paskha (Lize) No. 244

I've got to leave quite soon as my APEX train is a bit early - 9am!

I am staying at Heathercroft tonight, near the college - 118, Wellington Road, Tel: 01823 275516

would be nice if someone could phone my accomm and leave a message! (Just the name of the pub will do!)

Thanks xxxxx I'll get you a drink!
  • Options
    paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    Have managed a quick read back on thread and have made a note of Italian Rast phone no. although I'll probably go for Fish n chips!

I did a PB at Duchy (4:28) despite - or maybe because of??? - COLD WIND & DAMP!??? & my best Dartmoor Discovery was done in 1999 when the rain rained & rained & there were flash floods to wade through ....

This will be my 30th marathon (incs Ultras) I'm hoping to get sub 4:30, am worried about the cut-off though
  • Options
    See you all soon - race well everyone!
  • Options
    Finished in 3hr 28 so well done me! Was a bit windy but enjoyed it. It wasn't as hilly as people made it out to be. Marshalls on the second lap could of done a bit more pointing. I had to ask one if I needed to keep running or turn as he ate his sarnie! Other than that they did a very good job and the organisation at the start and in general was excellent. Nice t-shirt too!
  • Options
    Im a bit suprised with both half and full marathon winning times being a good bit faster than last year, considering the strength of the wind in your face coming out of Taunton.

Mind you I think the wind helped a good bit being at your back for the last three or so miles.

• Options
    One down side is the cut off time of 4:30, travelling back towards Wellington after the race past quite a few runners who were not going to make it under 4:30. It would be a shame if they didnt get an official time.

It would be great if the organisers offered an early start for those who felt that they would struggle to make 4:30. It would take a lot of pressure of the runners and would probably encourage quite a few more to enter the race in the first place.