Bob Graham Round & Other fell challenges

Comments

• My first BGR attempt was like that. I ran in a group of three, and the other two had effectively done all the hard work. I'd registered as a solo effort but joined up with them. Their attitude (which I though was correct) was - you're along for the ride, so you keep to our pace and schedule.

I failed BTW - but learnt a lot from it...
  • so did bobby boy do it on his own, or did he have 'helpers'?
  • fr, totally understand, I was after all asking for opinions, none offend. but after seeing FR's response as well and reading the BGR site I am not the only one. Just wanted to know what the feeling was.

And even if I did it on my own I would still need 'helpers'.
  • now you are just quoting the website ;o)
  • I think Bob Graham did indeed have pacers, although who they were is unrecorded. As to the rest of the story - well who knows....

I should add to my previous post that I didn't gate-crash the other attempt - they did invite me, with the caveats that I mentioned (ie I had to keep up). I think it would be bad form to just latch on to someone elses bid uninvited.

Fellrunner re dogs and sheep: Personally I'm not a "dogs on leads" type, so a well controlled dog, off the lead, wouldn't worry me - however I can't speak for my erstwhile colleagues who have been known to be somewhat less understanding. The only thing I'd say is that ewes can get a bit aggressive if you (or your dog) get between them and their lamb(s). One of mine found this out the hard way earlier this year (and bear in mind this was a working dog) and had about six weeks off with a broken foot.

• AvalafAvalaf ✭✭✭
    Just be grateful he didn't sue you.
  • What - with all that sitting in front of the fire being fed grapes and choccy biscuits ??

Mind you - his sister didn't half bite the sheep's ars* - turned into quite a free for all...
  • Sorry, get mixed up between fellrunner & fell running.

Re GPR, just have a personal thing about them, to me fellrunning is about the freedom & personal responsibility for yourself you choose to take when you're in the outdoors and using satellite navigation just doesn't sit well with that idea. I would far rather be confident & competent with a map & compass together with using my eyes and knowledge of the geography rather than fall back on small box which produces the magic numbers. (same reason I virtually never carry a mobile 'phone). It all conspires to interfere with a sense of adventure. It's a personal view I know!

Re the BGR realistically I would be better doing all the legs & long fell races next year in preparation for an attempt the year after, it's just I'm feeling impatient.
  • rosie, if i was to make an attempt you could certainly run/ walk along side me.
    it would be an absolute pleasure mate.

imean surely one persons logistics could very easily be doubled up to cover for two people if they were working and sticking together.
  • AvalafAvalaf ✭✭✭
    I'll come as support crew, but realistically don't think I'd be up to running any of it next year with you.
  • gps is just like a modern compass. It's just like when man changed from using the stars to using a compass. It's progress and thats all.
  • Folks still do navigate using the stars, and sextants. In fact until quite recently recognition of certain constellations, and use of a sextant was mandatory part of navigation exams. You'll still find a compass on a gimbal on the bridge of every British warship (or at least there was the last time I looked - which is probably a while ago now).

Nothing wrong with a GPS, but they can break, and its as well to be able to fall back on something a bit more basic.

In the end its down to personal choice, and I hold my hands up to being an old fart :-))

• wondered what that smell was.
  • Can't smell anything - must be you :-))

• Good thread F/R'ing - hoping to do a Paddy Buckley Round one day (but not just yet) - plans are to spend a week-end in Wales next year recc'ing it over the course of a couple or three long days, and then maybe trying to put an attempt together the year after - we'll see how it goes. Anyone care to join me?
  • Hello all. Just spotted this thread.

I'm planning a crack at the South Wales Traverse solo next year (76 miles with 31 peaks over 2,000ft). Not as much climb as BGR, but quite tusocky in places. The record is similar to the record for the BGR, but I'll be happy with 23:59!

Going to see how much of it I can do in 8hrs this November with fitness from KIMM training.

As for GPS - found a great use for it the other day when the batteries ran out on my headtorch - it's a waterproof spare battery holder!
  • Hi SportsBoy,

Are the route details available on the web or in a book?
  • Hi Nigel

The route is basically from the west end of the Brecon Beacons, right across to Llanthony at the East of the Black Mountains.

I used the SWT Record as my source to work out a reasonable schedule.

There are a few reports of attempts you can find if you search for "South Wales Traverse" on the web.
  • Thanks SportsBoy.

You'll have to time your run so that strange pub in Llanthony is open when you finish!
  • SportsBoy - hope you won't have to 'defrost your giblets'as one competitor (stand up Dan B) did last time!

Seriously, its another one on my list - all I need to do is get fit (hmmm.. slight problem there!)
  • I tried the Paddy Buckley some years ago.

I was a bit cocky - and came very unstuck. I'd like to have another stab at it.
  • Sportsboy - completed the SWT in just over 21 hours earlier this year as part of the 'mass attempt' organised by Pete of Cardiff Harlequins. Its an excellent day out, althou' conditions were pretty dire the day we completed. THe only problem is its linear nature which makes organising the start and end a bit of pain. Its traditional to go from west to east following the prevailing wind, but Roy Ruddle did it the other way round. This does mean the you can do the very runable BM's ridges when fresh, however it does mean you are on the rough terrain of the Mynydd Ddu when not so fresh.......... Navigation is pretty straightforward except for the moonscape getting to Cefn yr Wasted and then into Pyrgad, and then later on finding the sneaky route thro' the forest to get to the Gwyrnne valley.
    If anyone wants a copy of my write up of the day then just contact me.
    Paddy Buckley hopefully next, but that will have to be by luck and GPS as I simply dont have the free time to suss out first!
  • Hello,

Sportsboy, that sounds like a great challenge, look forward to hearing about it. Love living in the Lakes but Wales comes a close second as a favourite.

That sounds like an awesome time Julian.

I'm planning to reccy the BG legs over the winter as part of long runs, then see how next spring goes...
  • SeelaSeela ✭✭✭
    SR: Recovered from the Saunders?
    Never had the battery fail in my compass.
  • Julian - congratulations on having completed the SWT! Please can you email me your write-up?

Thanks for the alternative direction idea. However, I've tried the Black Mountains at night and found it didn't knock much speed off, and I really don't fancy the ankle breaking tussocks of Mynydd Du in the dark!

I know most of the route quite well as I run up there most weekends. The only bit I don't know at all is the long bridging section between the Pen y Fan group and the start of the Black Mountains - the bit you described as harder nav!

BoyWonder - What's this about the giblets????

ScarRunner - I'm jealous of you living in the Lakes! I spent the first 20yrs of my life not far away and spent lots of great weekends up there. 2 weeks in Keswick running up and down mountains this summer made me want to move house - just got to find a job! While on holiday we stumbled out of a pub on the night of Saturday 20 Aug and nearly got mowed down by 3 wild-eyed fellrunners. My girlfriend chased them to the Moot Hall and asked them had they just done BGR - yes 21hrs 40ish I seem to remember. As a result she's now totally inspired to do it in a couple of years time - at least that means plenty of weekends in the Lakes!