Bob Graham Round & Other fell challenges

13»

Comments

• The giblets comment revealed... thanks to the excellent write-up on the Cardiff Harlequins website

' After that Pen Cerrig Calch loomed. It has only one redeeming feature, that being it is the last major climb on the route. The rain and wind set in again and despite the extra layers, “suffering” took on a new meaning. We swam our way to the top. Waun Fach lived up to its reputation as the boggiest summit in Wales. The trig point at the top is desperately trying to join its cousin in Australia. As darkness fell the rain fell heavier. The descent down to the Gwyrne valley through the forest kept the local wildlife amused as Alan and John were seen to trip over every bit of bramble, branch and bracken. I hope we enriched their understanding of the beautiful and descriptive power of the English language. Thanks to Sam who went beyond the call of duty to give fresh supplies and look after the seriously hypothermic Dan (I run lighter than anyone) Booth.

On the top of Rhos Dirion, John and Alan thought that the cold was making them hallucinate when they saw a revolving lighthouse on the top of Lord Herefords Knob (don’t snigger – this is a serious article). It was then joined by a second and we realised it was Rhys and Jules telling us to catch them if we could. We couldn’t – we were too busy shivering. The ridge back to Llanthoney never seemed to end in the dark and rain. Alan and John ended up water skiing down to the priory.

Dan after sleeping for 5 hours and defrosting his giblets carried on alone to finish. Pete, after his detour down to the Neuadd reservoir re-climbed Cribyn to continue the route and with the support of Ed and Martin finished in a remarkable time (considering the extra miles and climbing he did) and was still in a fit state to run the entire length of the ridge back to Llanthoney '

• Ah Alans account of the event. Its on the MDC site. Reflects the day very well! Dan went on to complete the traverse in under 24 hours a few weeks after, but I really wish he had been carrying more kit that night - it was pretty evil on the tops. I've dealt with hypothermia before and am pretty certain if we had continued as a trio we would have needed to dropped straight of the other side of the ridge and go straight to Llantony. However its says alot about Dans spirit - have a sleep, thaw out the giblets, borrow some clothes and go for it! Top efforts all round!
  • Julian - Many thanks for emailing the write-up.

• Sportsboy - hope you enjoyed the read! Hope you enjoy the challenge of the SWT. Its a worthwhile day out. May is the best time to have a go as the daylight is good and the vegetation is low. Myself and Rhys had a go last year at the end of July and the braken was a real problem in quite a few places. We bailed at Cefn yr Wasted and went for breakfast at Asda at Dowlais top!! We were more focused this year!
  • SeelaSeela ✭✭✭
    Check this out if you think fell runners are wooses http://www.aqvi55.dsl.pipex.com/run/bgr_ext.htm
  • Yes I hear that Joss is already planning his "70 at 70". Good luck to him too.

• Boing for Fell running - just to remind him that he started all this!
  • Haven't been to active on the forum recently, but i'll be watching this one...

Looking forward to the hills next week - 3 days in wales :)
  • Haile - like the name change!!

Garrett - whereabouts in Wales? I shall be in Snowdonia from Boxing Day evening for a couple of days, doing the family thing but should hopefully get some time on the hills - fingers crossed for some decent weather!

Happy Xmas etc to one and all
  • The met check says weather looks great for the few days after xmas.

I'll be in snowdonia too. I'll probably be camping near Nant Peris (i think that what it's called.) My vague plan is to drive up tuesday afternoon, hike on wed, thrs and drive back thrs evening. I may make it a day longer, not decided yet, but it'll most likely be tues, wed, thrs.

Not planned routes yet, but i fancy the idea of the snowdon horseshoe. Should be fun in winter condition. Also, i like it up there when the train's not running and it's not full of people!

Been over most of the hills in snowdonia so i fancy trying something new. Last winter on Tryfan was fun until getting lost and choosing a baaad route off, so i might try the glyders too.

Were you planning on running or hiking in the hills? I'll be aiming to get on the hil by 9am and of by 4 ish, so 7hr days. Good enough with a big 'sack on.

Email me if you wanna meet up for hill-time and i can mail you my mobile no.

cheers,
    Gt
  • NOone has posted anything here for a long time... I thought I might see if there are any fell runners on this site these days.

I am just starting in the fell running thingy, have done the penmaenmawr race twice but not attempted anything more hilly than that as yet... Aiming to make a start by doing the short version of the Welsh 1000's this year and the full one next year... I live here in North Wales so that helps... just seems to take me a long time to increase my fitness... still it is steadily improving which is good. 

So anyone any tips, thoughts or plans this year?

Emma

• Emma

Not sure that I am really a 'serious' fell runner - more for fun - but I will be trying to complete the Lakeland 100 for the second time this year. Last year, i misjudged the time required and had to break off ealry to catch a train in order to make a flight connection.

No excuses this year though. Need to knock it off properly!

Trying to raise a team but none of my mates are mad enough!  

• Emma

I have been deeping my toe into fell running this year and would recommend going to this site (if you haven't already) to find guys to chat with regarding challenges/races http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/

Good luck with any future races/challenges

• Hi Guys

Nice to meet you here... yes serious for me,  only in that I am attempting fell races  too. Not taking it any more seriously than that - it is fun! 

Arh yes thanks for the link - I had found it, but a good reminder... 

Love

Emma

• Yep... we're all over on the Fellrunner forum these days..