too right!

Comments

• Eternal Plodder, good luck next Sunday. I did the Abingdon marathon on Sunday, it took me 5hr 53mins and 5 people finished after me, it finished on a running track. It was very hard and lonely for me I run 18 miles on my own, I am really proud of myself for that. One of the marshalls gave me his mars bar. I stayed to see the last runners finish which was great.
  • My Mum has been last in all the races i can remember her entering, except Cardiff half mara (she is nearly 60 & quite short & doesn't run much).
    But she enjoys it & usually gets a big cheer, & i am really proud of her for doing it & always jump up & down & cheer.
  • I was recently last (I think... not sure...) at my first event, the Great Gorilla Run. I didn't feel too positive about it at the time, but it's been growing on me.

Anyone who doesn't know, it's a 7km fun run with everyone in gorilla suits raising money for the Dian Fossey Gorilla Fund.

A few weeks before the event I'd badly sprained my ankle (in fact it's not fully healed now), so I did the run on a crutch. I didn't think I'd be last, as when I was out and about even on a crutch I found I'd be passing people (my natural walking pace is fast...). But I'd figured without doing the run with a load of runners I guess, because after the first km I found myself struggling to keep up with the back of the field.

I don't know if they have sweepers. I was terrified I'd get left behind and get lost! They don't close the roads so it seemed very possible. I was on my own too. But luckily some of the other back markers took pity on me and hung back a bit, so I had people to walk with all the way. And of course there were the marshalls.

There was one point I got behind a bit as I talked to some tourists. As I hobbled along as fast as I could on my crutch to catch up I heard anouther group of tourist burst into 'awwwrrrrs' behind me! Guess 'gorilla on crutch' has an 'awr sweet' factor. LOL

By the end I was seriously overheating. I'd heard in previous years people took up to 2 hours to do the course, but I got in in about an hour and a half (didn't time it properly and they don't time you). I'd have taken longer if I hadn't been scared of being left behind! I'm not actually sure if I was last: the group I did the last section with thought some others were behind, but we didn't see them again! So don't know what happened to them.

At first I was sheepish about being at the back, but everyone was great about it. And at least I had a good excuse with being on the crutch! And now it makes a good story. It's true, last is the only place that matters after the 'winners'. I'm actually quite into being last now!
  • I came last in last years Legoland 10K (which turned out to be les than that - thank god) the two much younger and fitter friends running with me din't leave me behind and kept me going I thought i would be deeply embarassed but i was relieved to finish and everyone was very kind. I am running in the NY marathon in three weeks and i am not so terrified of being last but of not finishing.
  • the thing to remember is...we're all a damn sight better than all those who didn't even start.
  • But last again and again gets humiliating
  • humiliating shumiliating....at least you have the medals....and can eat a mars bar without feeling guilty. anyway coming last is different you aren't one of the crowd :)
  • and never been one of the crowd
    not alwyas a advatage
    anyway
    you ready for new YOIK
  • you kidding? ready for New york?
    buggered my knee by being too clever and getting custommade footbeds for shoes...just revocering from that having missed my most important long run. am taking half a day of work tomorrow to do it and see if knee holds out. got my race pack today and am sh**t scared. boyfriend says everyone is scared but i think imight die of fright before i get there...
  • and another thing...........i thought all this bloody running was supposed to make you thin...just makes me bloody hungry
  • Ive done 26 maras ad im still fat
    there you go
    But theres nowt like your first
  • Tracey, thank you :o)

I never liked being part of the crowd anyway :o) when platform shoes were in fashion, I wore flat shoes, when wedges were in I wore platforms, when stilettos were in, wedges and so it went on, so maybe I was just destined to be out there on my own :o)
    Its just the thought of this Sunday, I will be all on my own in my home town where ppl will know me and possibly remind me for years to come :o( Nevermind I will just enter another race to cheer myself up :o)
  • whats happening this sunday babes
  • Denmead 10k, Ive lived here for 15 years, everyone knows me, I work in the local school, all the kids and parents will be out to watch, and there I will be plodding along, all on my own...... I supposed I could pretend I was first, no one else in sight...it could work! :o)
  • Hippo what possessed you to do 26 marathons? the reason i am doing this one has a lot to do with a bottle of wine and loose talk........ and the fact tha ti have now raised so much dosh from people who seem to think its a great idea and i can do it that i have no alternative but to do it.

i had alook at last years finishing times and found that the slowest posted on the ny site was 9 hours 59 minutes i suppose thats because they stop timing at ten hours. i am hoping it won't take me that long. the battery in my ipod wont last for ten hours and i will get very very bored.
  • er francy
    Im going for 100
    dont ask
    i bet this one wont be your last
    it wont take you 9 hours
  • am off for a bit now
  • Errr forgive me for asking Hippo, but have you sought professional help?

Plodder where is Denmead, i saw you did Reading 10K is it close
  • I just thought if a fat old bird like me won't take 9 hours - who does?
  • Denmead is near Portsmouth Francy.
    Hippo is right, it won't be your last, you will get the bug.
  • EP have fun in denmead - i'm tempted to come and join you (i'm between pompey and saints) but doing swimming lessons on sun mornings this term, and already missed one for GSR - good luck anyway
  • oh i think it will.... can't cope with this much fear again in this lifetime :)

i think i might have been more sensible to do one nearer home too, it's a bit of performance and adds to the anxiety going to NY leaving kids and dogs and stuff but on the other hand i will have my credit card in hand so can always stop off and do shopping ;-)

hmmm maybe thats why it takes 9 hours.........

i am near Reading so wondred if you were close Portsmouth is a long way away though
  • and another thing...........i thought all this bloody running was supposed to make you thin...just makes me bloody hungry
  • hahahaha just makes me hungry aswell, Ive put on 8 pounds since starting running!
    Took about an hour to get to Reading Francy, so not quite as long as going to NY :o)
  • Eternal Plodder, I have put more than that since the begin of the year, really need to loose half a stone.
  • Nice one Berry! What a good and thoughtful article! I am going to print it out for my beginner runners to read :-0)
  • i'm with you people...I've not lost an ounce...I'm doing the Dublin marathon (12 days away) and tapering now...I'm afraid I'll be putting weight on before I get there!!

I hope I won't be last in Dublin, there are over 10000 people in for it! Last recorded time last year about 9 hours also. I hope to do it in 5.30 or so.
  • I was last on Sunday at the Scott King 5 Miles but I got a big hug from one of the organisers at the end, which was really lovely.
  • good luck gingerfurball,i walked the dublin marathon last year,7 hours i took,and there was hundreds behind me, you will be ok,so enjoy....baz