too right!

Comments

• having thought about it for a day or so i might even do another one...yes yes i know i said i wouldn't but you never know...a flat one maybe new york is very hilly
  • well NOW I am REALLY pissed off
    Ive come last LOADS
    and do i get a prize????????

Bah!

well done francy-which will be your next
  • hmmm my next i dunno Hippo you have done loads which one is the flattest. i need to get my feet sorted....thinking of a transplant.....
  • flat
    hm
    cardiff(but its two loops)

Abingdon

your feet will be fine in a week
  • so will my brain probably - when i come down of all these new dolphins...then i will realise that marathon running is very very silly indeed....
  • francy you are inspiring me..... i've lost my oomph, but now there is really no excuse is there? some nameless forumites are trying to persuade me to do the isle of wight mara next year - apparently very hilly!!! now you are a veteran of hills why not come too?
  • Well done Francy, great achievement.
    Ive never been given a prize either Hippo :o( maybe we should start a petition :o)
  • diana - the answer to that question is easy ...because it is very hilly.

i suppose though it really doesn't matter because you can walk up the steep bits anyway.

i don't suppose either of us is ever going to do a 3 hour marathon so what the hell

no jet lag to the isle of wight either

the prize is good, the best is being hugged by a six foot duck. am trying to change my picture but not being very usccesful can't remember how i did it before

• I'm usually last at our cross countries and decided to do a 400m hurdles four years ago just for the points, I was last (badly) but I'll never forget the cheers I got for finishing. Someone said it was the bravest run they had ever seen and my club record still stands as a senior lady although an under 20 has beaten it by about 34 seconds
  • helooooooooooooo

diana
    IOW is great
  • I finished last in the Gate Gallop in Tamworth earlier this year...
    I tried and tried to run but my legs just waren't having it! Walking and 'running' I finally made it to the finish to huge cheers from the other runners, (except from my mates who were 'cheering' abuse! Gits!)
    I was strangely satisfied at being the last finisher as I found out quite a few people had dropped out!
    Two days after the race I found out why my legs wouldn't run... I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes!! My blood sugar was 28.5! I wasn't producing any insulin to let it enter my muscles, so I was in effect hitting the wall all the way round.
    I've had a lovely letter from the race organisers and my mates at the gym have all been great.
    I've now got to take it steady and learn how to fuel my running, any ideas?
  • Dan - I was there at gate gallop the heat was a nightmare and few acheived potential. I and my family cheered you in - well done. It was a difficult boiling hot day over a tricky course.

I haven't any advice I'm sorry but I'll bet on here in the health bit and on the net there will be loads of stuff.

Keep it up!!
  • Sorry that you had to get this, I was at that point just over a year ago when I had a shock to discover I had developed type 1.5 (LADA)at the age of 52 and am still discovering how to exercise safely but I managed a slow 15 miles (It would be slow diabetes or not) the other day.
    As Mike says there are some good threads in health, one entitled Diabetes and running which I found useful at first.
    If you are on MDI using fast acting(novorapid) with meals and Lantus or Levimere for your basal its invaluable to learn to adjust your insulin to your carbs, there is a course to do this in Britain but I'm in France and learned how to do it by reading. It is though a much more flexible way to control your blood sugar than using fixed doses and fixed carb levels.
    At the moment you may well be honeymooning which means that you may still produce some insulin which will effect the amount of carbs needed and will change over time. Obviously you need to discuss this with your doctors as at the moment they will be concerned to get your BS stable.
    (when looking up info on the net much of the world uses mg/dl for BS readings not mml so divide by 18 to make sense of info)

You then have to learn how to adjust your insulin/ carbs to your exercise and everybody is different! Trial and hopefully not too much error.
    The most important thing is to test regularly.. before, during and after exercise to find out what happens and what works for you. I take my meter with me and to start with tested every 20 minutes.
    I have found that I need to start with a BS of around 120mg/dl(6.6mml) but not too high, most authorities say that it is dangerous to start with a BS of over 250 (13.8mml). I need to take a dextrose tablet about every 25 minutes. I can't exercise within 2 hours of taking rapid insulin as I go very low far too quickly. I have recently found that I can run in the mornings if I eat a small amount of carbs without insulin (though the basals still there) and then to have another small breakfast (with insulin according to BS reading).
    After running a longer distance I find I have to reduce the amount of insulin with later meals during the day and don't always get it right having to correct a hypo within 2 hours of eating.
    I am lucky in that my basal insulin (lantus) does keep me fairly stable over night but some people have to watch out for hypos during the night after exercise.
    I have also discovered that anaerobic exercise sometimes raises blood sugars so that if there us a hill or you sprint at the end your BS on finishing can be higher than you thought.
    It is a huge learning curve but not impossible. The plus side is that exercise does help to keep your blood sugars lower which can help avoid future complications.
    I hope that this is not too much too early.
    Good luck.
    Helen
  • Thanks for the welcome advice. I'm already trying adjusting my fast acting insulin. At the moment it seems to be working quite well. If I'm excercising mid-morning I knock a couple of units off my breakfast dose, and have a small carb snack afterwards. I also reduce my lunchtime dose by 2 units which has seemed to got rid of a hypo I was having in the afternoon when my muscles were refueling. Its all down to trial and error! I'm pretty stable at the minute (5.6 mmol/l average), but like you say it's my 'Honeymoon' period at the minute. It's daunting but it's not going to stop me doing anything!
  • Being last isn't a big deal.

I've finished last three times this year.

First time I was chasing down the number two 3k runner in the whole of the north of england, almost got him as well, but I still ended up in last place, albeit as a junior in a senior race and in just over 5 m/m.

Next time, I finished last but only a few seconds behind the Eastern Counties senior gold medallist in the 1500. He just outkicked me on the last lap. We were running at around 4:30 for the mile pace over the first two laps and finished at about 4:40 pace.

Final time was in a sprint hurdles race which I'd never done before in my life. Finished last in 24.57 WAY behind the others who are all top national standard hurdlers. They all finished in times equivalent to sub 30 10k clockings, my 24.57 is equivalent to a 47 min 10k apparently.
  • I was second to last in my first ever race and on reaching the finishing line, was so amazed to see that everyone had waited to cheer me in, burst into tears! I thought everyone would have already gone home and not be bothered about the snails at the back - it was a very emotional experience.
  • I was last at yesterday's Macc Half and I wouldn't have finished if it wasn't for the encouragement of the race officials all the way round.

I'm proud to be the last finisher of the Macc Half Marathon!
  • Well done keendartfan
  • As a 50-plus female triathlete, I've been last fairly often! Partly because I'm such a crap swimmer and partly because most women my age can't don't or won't race triathlon. But that's not my fault - so I happily accept my awards with a smile and rejoice when there's younger peeps behind me.

Some people are scared to race in case they come last - but if you are, it DOESN'T MATTER! The important thing is you are exercising, improving your health, having fun and feeling good. And very often you get huge support as a back marker.
  • and sometimes you dont

but
    i am past caring
    i race against myself and no-one else
  • Dan

At the risk of hijacking this into a diabetes thread, I had almost the same experience as you 10 years ago. I'd been a fairly competitive (ie not bad) hill runner for 15 years, but was finding training getting harder and harder to the point I was walking round "easy" 5 milers. I always managed to explain it away - stress, exhaustion, etc - but it wasn't until I ran a hill race and came in last that I was able to accept that something was wrong (I would normally finish in the top 20% or so). Diabetes was duly diagnosed the next day.

I would endorse all that Helen has said, but add the comment that diabetes has made me an even more determined runner than before! The health benefits are now so much more obvious, and I am driven on by the challenge. I've kept up the hill running and have run a few marathons in the last few years too. Fuelling can be an interesting challenge - I find that the goalposts are always moving, and what gave you satisfactory blood sugars last month might not work this month.

On topic again, has no-one considered the psychological trauma of being first? No other runners around, feeling exposed and vulnerable, all those people looking at you, no chance of anonymity... :o)
  • good point greyhound
  • This is discriminating against middle of the packers. People who are distinctly average have feelings too.
  • Thanks greyhound, Since my last post I've managed Nottingham Half Marathon,(My first!) in 2:15:06 and had no real difficulty. Found using Sports Beans very effective for fuel and electrolytes... and this time I wasn't last!
  • DM - too right. These people at the front and the back get all of the attention. What about the rest of us who get a polite clap at best? I'm sorely tempted to either come last at Cardiff, or win it.
  • Polite clap? I was only applauded at Reading a few years ago because at the time, I was just overtaking a guy in a wheelchair... Oh hang on... What? You mean they weren't applauding me???
  • In the early 90's, I entered the Coventry Half Marathon (which came back last year as the Godiva Half Marathon ). The previous evening, I over-indulged on alcohol and was not in a very good state on the Sunday morning.

Needless to say, I was last to finish ( I still have the 'souvenier' results page from the Coventry Evening Telegraph ) and they were starting to clear away the finish area when I arrived.

I got a big cheer though, and it made up for the embarassment of being beaten by 2 blokes dressed as Bill and Ben the Flower Pot Men!!
  • I run for my club Wombwell Sporting A.C.in track events ranging from 100 metres up to 10,000 metres to get points for the club and often come last (especially in the shorter events !!!! ) but I enjoy myself and run as fast as I CAN on the day and seeing all my p.b.s. were back in the late 1980s -I am not really bothered if I come last or not .Its great fun -TRY IT NEXT SUMMER !!!!!!!!
  • I Run my first 10k on April 7th April 2007

and came in next to last my time was 1.38

i have since taken 12 min off this on the same course, Dorney Lake
  • Thank you for this article. I am a large, 47 year old, with asthma, and have only been running since the autumn, training for the Edinburgh Half Marathon 2009. With just under 6 weeks to go I'm feeling a bit nervous, worried that I might have to face being picked up by the bus if I go over 3 hours. I should be okay - my 11 mile run at the weekend took 2hrs 10m but you've given me a boost.