Tuesday 18th October 2005

What: 40 mins @ 65% HRR avg
Where: La Paz
Why: I need the exercise after travelling and tummy bug

La Paz is the world's highest capital city at around 3,600. Running here is a challenge and, frankly, not a great deal of fun. Apart from the altitude, the air is very polluted, the traffic is manic and the city is very hilly.

Still, I like to get a run in wherever I go, and I rather enjoy the strange looks from locals and gringos alike.

Comments

• That's 3,600 metres by the way - around 11,000 feet!
  • Wow - that's impressive Running Bear.

Morning.

What: 6 miles hilly
    Why: same old same old

Have a good day.
  • RB - think I've woken up with your tummy bug!

What: 5.5 am, 12 pm inc. 10k in 37 mins
    Why: Gonna squeeze the toothpaste til the juice runs down my leg (or something similar - apologies to Robert Johnson - King of the Delta Blues:-))
    Last hard: Saturday
  • Morning all,

What: 4M easy pm
    Why: recovery week
    Last hard: Sunday

Speedie, yes please but no hurry are you doing Thanet 10M
  • Morning

Thank you everyone you are very kind:-)much appreciated

What@ 32 mins easy and massage after work
    Why: Because I wanted to
    Last hard:Sunday

Back to normality I plug in my MP3 layer for my run and what should be the first track "I can't stand the rain" and guess what........yes torrential rain for my run but I really enjoyed it;-)

have a good day
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • mavamava ✭✭✭
    good morning all.

Like WP, I'm appreciative of all of your kind tboughts. The sheer gutted feeling has faded as my energy levels have increased. I know my reaction had everything to do with being utterly exhausted.

My legs aren't as bad as I expected this morning but I needed a lie in this morning more than I needed to run!

What: probably nothing, maybe something easy this evening
    why: sore legs
    last hard: that would be sunday

Off to work - last day for me in this building before we relocate next weekend so a day of throwing away files.

have a good day all.
  • Good morning

Well done to PG and Big Tim.

Dustin - Sounds like you had an enjoyable race.

WP - I think BT and BR might be on to something.

BR - LOL @ the toothpaste remark. I think your track marathon is a fantastic idea.

Hilly - I hope your daughter is doing better. You sound happier than on the weekend.

NZC - Look after that doggy of yours.

What: 7 miles easy

Why: Aiming to do one longer run on either a Tuesday or Wednesday.

Last hard: Saturday

Enjoy the day.

• Yes what I forgot to say was it was brave of both BT and BR to say what they felt!
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Morning All.

WP and mava. Well done! Great guts and determination from both of you.
    The marathon can be such an unforgiving event, but you what they say about falling off a horse........or is it a bike?? Im sure the pair of you will pick yourselves up, dust yourselves down and start all over again, raring to go and set the record straight come next spring.

BR, yes its a great finish along the cliff tops from Sewersby, a bit tough though with the wind whipping off the North Sea.

This morning, ran a steady 5 miles down to work on still slightly stiff, reluctant legs. Will force them into action again this afternoon for the 5 miles back home.

Good Runnings everyone.
  • Morning all,

marathon thread yesterday!

What: 5 miles RUNNING
    Why: schedule and desperate to run
    Last hard: ride on Sunday
    Last rest: 7 days

Woke up too late to run before my lecture, or at least to eat, digest, run, shower and get to class. I am happy running 3-4 miles on an empty stomach first thing in the morning, but not really more than that. Does anyone else find this? I know a lot of peeps here prefer to run first.

Good runnings all.
  • Flippin'eck! Yesterdays thread was a bit of a monster!

Well done to all who raced at the weekend. There were some inspiring performances!

What - 4 miles am, 4 miles pm (if time permits), 40 mins British Bulldog with kids at youth group 8oS
    Why - Base training on restricted time.

Last hard - Saturday
    Last rest - 9 days.

Have a good day everyone
    8o)
  • morning!

What: Swim done this morning with Miss H (day off, sorry "training day", for her...), might go for a cycle yesterday
    Why: Need to recover from my recovery run last night.
    Lyrics: I know the lyrics (but not the song!)

So WP and mava both seemed to be saying never again... I have here in my hand 10 pounds of sponsorship money - it awaits the first of you to sign up for another marathon ;-)
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Morning.

Portaloo, yes I'm much happier than I was at the weekend. I've had a good night's sleep for 2 nights which helps:o)

what:5 miles hopefully, but have to go to dentist first and didn't get up in time to go out early (sleep more important at the moment) and then go to the hospital, so will try and squeeze in a short run before bed tonight:o)
    why:I need to
    last reace:Cranborne 10k

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I know the lyrics and singer/s, oh and my post should read last race not reace.
  • Just for Running bear with the dodgy stomach in Bolivia:

- For some lovely (and safe!) food and drink I highly recommend the coffee shop on Sagamaga just off Plaza San Fancisco. Can't remeber its name but its got a pizzeria below it (OK but not brilliant) and a hotel above it.
    - Also for a nice meal (I seem to remember I had steak) and to-die-for chocolate mousse head to Hotel Rosario on Illampu - I think (hope) I have the hotel name right... memory is going a bit... It's really expensive by Bolivian standards (i.e. it's the price of a chip shop here in London) but the food was gorgeous.

If you're heading to Rurrenabaque then there's also a Turkish guy who runs a restaurant just next door to the Mosquito bar and it is simply excellent.
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Morning

WP and Mava - glad your positive feelings are coming back!

Hilly - glad you're getting time to run, sleep and visit your daughter.

What: an hour on the bike
    Why: tri training
    Last hard: yesterday's run
    Last rest: wednesday

My hip feels fine after my 6 miles yesterday, so I'm fairly positive it's safe to start running again. Yippee.
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Hello,

MelissaP: Glad you're upwardly mobile again - just take it easy. I have no problem running first thing in the morning, a quick strong coffee, glass of water and away I go. Though I run very slowly for the first 15mins to warm-up/loosen-up.

What: 40mins at 65%MHR run to work.
    Why: Transition from mara. recovery to normal training.
    LastHard: Cardiff Mara 09Oct05

First 15mins, legs felt dead but I was warming up. There is a veteran runner (V60??) who I always see in the morning. Today I stopped to introduce myself as this is what civilised people do. As he approached, his opening line was "Hello Mate, why did you stop running?". A Definite runner! He's currently on 3:10 for a mara, runs 7-8miles a day, Saturday rest, Sunday 16-20miles. Like I said, a definite runner.

I feel I have to eat some humble pie and admit yesterday's impromptu 2 min speed session seemed to have helped me get better leg action this morning. Very pleasing.

• Morning all,

MelissaP - I HATE running in the morning. I do it sometimes when it's the only way to get all the runs in that I want. Like you, I can do about 4 miles and then, for me, everything falls apart. I find I really need to be up and about for 2-3 hours before I try to run any distance.

What: 4-5 miles gentle
    Why: recovery after Sunday
    Last hard: Sunday
    Last rest: yesterday
  • Morning,

MelissaP: from alarm clock to out on the streets in 10 minutes is no problem at all for me on just a small glass of water, but never done more than an easy 5 miles like that.

What: rest
    Why: still fighting off illness and not breathing right.
  • Morning

Gritty performances from WP, mava & Dustin...well done!!!

Inspired by all of the valiant efforts over the last couple of weeks I have decided to run Luton in December. It's just not the same watching from the sidelines;-)

What: 5*1k or 10 steady miles
    Why: See how the legs feel later

Last Hard: 2 days
    Last Rest: 4 days (27/30)

----
  • Morning,

Running Bear, impressive start to the thread! can't imagine running at that altitude.

WP, very well done on your marathon PB and don't beat yourself up about your result. Travelling abroad for marathons adds another factor of uncertainty. You were brave to just go out there on your own and run! Listen to what everyone is telling you about your coach & training, maybe compare your schedule with some other marathon schedules for the sort of time you're after and see for yourself whether you agree. I'm sure you'll get the marathon result your application deserves eventually.

Mava, disappointed for you, you worked so hard. It's quite sobering how many mixed marathon experiences people have had recently, it's an event in its own league and you can't predict or allow for every factor as I think most of us have experienced. I've done 3 and in 1 I went through hell just to finish, 1.5 hrs slower than I wanted and needed medical tent at the end! Very well done for persevering and hope you rest up well.

Trini, can't wait for your report, bated breath!

Went to club last night and did:
    5 * 2.40-2.45 long intervals with long hill in the middle, 1.30 recoveries. Coach comment: 'Nice to see you working hard again'!
    Last hard: last night.
    Last rest: Fri
    Next hard: lord knows, but will take kit to India just in case!

Off first thing tomorrow, run well everyone, look forward to catching up with what you've been up to.
  • Melissa - I find that a glass of squash (Sainsbury's high fruit or whatever it is called, NOT the low sugar kind, which would defeat the purpose) sets me up first thing in the morning and I can run for miles after that. First mile is always dead slow though. I think if you eat late in the evening (I do) it helps as well - if you have your evening meal at 6.00 p.m., there is no way you can run well 12 hours later on no food!

Dustin - well done

BT - congrats, sounds like a good solid run

WP - have you looked at the Amsterdam results online - aren't the pictograms of speed over the course amazing, very revealing.

JGRM - I love watching from the sidelines, all the emotion, none of the pain! ;-) Good luck at Luton

What: Hmm, not sure, physio still thinks no running but I SO want to do something ... so either a couple of miles easy, or a sesh at the climbing wall.
  • Oh - and have fun in India SR! Sounds fab. I'm sure you'll be able to run, might be worth wearing full-length tights and a baggy t-shirt the first time though, not sure what local customs and culture would deem appropriate attire in the cirumstances! So best to cover up first time I guess.
  • Morning all,

What was that I was saying about mind games??....I've got more bruises from that mind wall! Current score: mind wall lots; Boffin 0!!

Last night training was intended to be race pace 10k on the treadmill. I warmed up by taking the canines for short lap jog (3.4km in total; one dog is daft and loves to run, the other rather feels exercise is for other dogs!). Now nice and warm set of on the treadmill; manage 1.6km before getting really hacked of with the TV/radio/fan/gym wall/any excuse then hit teh stop button and it was done - mind wins again!

So I get my own back and put on garmin and set off outdoors. At least this way there is no point stopping because I still have to get back!

Ended up doing just over 15k all told, the 10k was under race pace at 54min but my legs know they worked which was the objective, so I am pleased with that:)

Getting back into training it is always to set appropriate goals, so could be I am asking to much too soon. I'm training and getting fitter so that is good:)

What: probably rest, maybe gentle cycling
    Why: got to be careful to train well without injury

Last hard: yesterday
    Last rest: Sunday
    Last race: 12th June!
  • Morning all,

What: rest, maybe a swim
    Why: legs doing a good impression of two iron bars
    Last hard: sunday
    Last rest: yesterday

Pammie - the 20 miler I have planned is the Trimpell 20 in Morecambe. It's one of the few local races that I've never done.

Have a good one.
  • Well done weekend racers!

What? AM 10k 45 min / PM club run ~14m
    Why? Hard day
    Last hard? Sunday

• Morning all,

Great weekend in Amsterdam - I faded badly in the marathon, but got a time i was happy with and loved the experience. It's a beautiful city, and the stadium finish was pretty special.

Bib number 602
    Name Craig Davey
    City Bath
    5 km 18:00 (18:00)
    10 km 35:43 (17:43)
    15 km 53:38 (17:55)
    20 km 1:11:40 (18:02)
    21,1 km 1:15:36
    25 km 1:29:50 (18:10)
    30 km 1:48:16 (18:26)
    35 km 2:07:24 (19:08)
    40 km 2:27:14 (19:50)
    Net time 2:35:52
    Gros time 2:35:56
    Speed 16,243 Km/Hour
    Distance Marathon
    Place 29 / Msen
  • Tim - great time in Amsterdam. It must've seemed like easy terrain after Margate.

Impressive running, Running Bear. I start to feel the effects at above 3500m on a pair of ski's, never tried to run at that altitude.

Scar Runner - you will be able to run in India, dependant upon how you can deal with the heat of course. Whereabouts are you going?

What: 20 miles bike; 45 mins nordic ski machine
    Why: legs need a rest from running
    Last hard: sunday
    Last rest: 9 days

• Morning all,
    Back down the gym last night, I tryed the exercise that injured my hamstrings last week, this time cut the hand weights back to 3kg, this seemed to do the trick nicely and though Hammies got a good workout, I avoided the injury sustained on friday!

My coach text me yesterday and is planning on taking the whole training group to a training camp for the weekend in December, looks good, its in Suffock and lots of trails and private land, the group will stay at a 12-bed cottage, something different to do anyway.

What:
    am: 4.25mile run at around 7:20mm pace, steady today as Ive track session tonight. Legs a bit tired due to my gym session last night.

pm:
    Track session with IEK Group, not sure whats going down at the track tonight.

Why:
    Speed endurance and faster stuff.

PAMMIE:
    Thank you, I was very pleased with the result, considering being partly injured!

BT:
    Yep I saw your results on the webpage. Im doing the Thanet 10 as well, maybe we can get a good team together.
    IEK won the team race at the Kent Fitness League, we destroyed the rest of the field! ;p

• Mornin' all - that sounds like some run you had in Amsterdam, Forefeet Good!

What: 4-5 miles @ 65% WHR
    Why: Post-marathon recovery
    Last rest: Yesterday
    Last hard: Sunday's 10K

Have a good day, everyone.