Tuesday 18th October 2005

Comments

• Beanz52Beanz52 ✭✭✭
    Trini - brilliant

and

HAPPY BIRTHDAY - a good one too
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Trini, fantastic stuff - both your achievement and the wonderfully evocative report. I could almost feel the warmth of the tropics on my face.

Happy 50th birthday - I'd say your mission was more than accomplished!
  • drewdrew ✭✭✭
    Trini - a report of epic proportions. Awesome achievement. Happy birthday too.

Today's session:

What: 35 mile bike ride over the hilliest roads I could find
    Why: Felt like it
    Last hard: ages ago
    Last rest: 3 days
  • Superb, Trinirunner! Happy birthday - I hope you're not going to start acting your age anytime soon!
  • Happy birthday Trini, and what a way to reach that big one!
    Huge respect...
  • Trini! What a race,once in a life time Fantastic stuff,you have every reason to be very,very happy. Mrs.T sounds like a fantastic partner in crime too. Well done to both of you.

Happy birthday, have a great day.

• Trini, brilliant achievement and a gripping report. PS it wasn't just the girls that were welling up towards the end;-)

FFG, amazing run in Amsterdam!

----
  • Afternoon,

Forefeet, that's a stonking marathon time - brillant running.

Trini, absolutely fantastic. What an achievement. Be proud, be very proud indeed. Birthday boy as well - enjoy.

I'm still doing absolutely nothing. Right achillies is OK, left achillies is still sore, left calf is OK, left knee is OK. I can sit on my haunches(? lower legs tucked under my hamstrings), haven't been able to do that for months. I'm rather bored, will start core exercises and stretching next week. And by next week I will weigh 11 stone :/
  • Oh my god Trini. That's probably one of the best reports i've ever read on here.

You should be very very proud.
  • Hollywood
    Thanks for those recommendations. Happens that we're staying in Hotel Rosario, and it's great food at incredible (UK) prices. Tummy is getting better daily, hope your is too, BR.

I'll try another smoggy, traffic dodging, hilly and oxygen-free run a bit later! Nice to read everybody's race reports.
  • Afternoon All,

BR: I might be interested in a track marathon once I've done a decent road one.
    BT: Well done on the amsterdam half
    NZC: Hope the dog's OK
    Dustin: sensible run there, and a good baseline for 2006
    Blisters: Well done to mini-blister.
    WP: Invest in a copy of "Advanced Marathoning".
    FFG: Excellent time in Amsterdam, well done. Did you fade due to the early pace or some other reason?
    trinirunner: Inspiring stuff - and a very happy birthday!

I never eat less than two hours before a run, as I get a stitch or throw up. I can run early if I need to, but I prefer not to as I read somewhere your more susceptible to injury. I also eat late so, as others have said, maybe that's why I can run early without eating when needs must

What: 9mi with 8x100m strides
    Why: Taper, Taper, Taper
    Last Hard: seems ages
    Last Rest: 148 days

Have a good one.
  • Trini, I am sitting here with tears in my eyes. What a report - and so pleased for you achieving your goals. Onwards and upwards!

90 mins - thanks for the good wishes. Did I see you out running on Sunday morning? I was on my bike heading out of town a little past Plymouth Argyle football ground.
  • Virgil_Virgil_ ✭✭✭
    What a fantastic tale (and achievement) Trinirunner.
  • Afternoon peeps.

I seem to becoming a regular in here again.

what: 75 mins cardio at the gym comprising of bike (warm up), 3.5 mile run and eliptical trainer, followed by leg weights and some pork reducing crunchies with an aim to have a 6 pack instead of a one pack.
    why: building up fitness after 18 months in the doldrums.

Have a good day.

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    FFG, that's a superb time you did in Amsterdam, well done!

Lol Micksta, I wouldn't say you're an oddball, we've had a few stranger:o)

Fantastic report and experience Trini! Happy Birthday too!

• Just had a text from a friend to say my picture is in the Swindon Advertiser tonight after the recent half-marathon. Not sure why - I certainly wasn't anywhere near the front! It probably has the caption "How can a man looking like this still be alive?"
  • Are Those My Feet -

Have you been reading the Ultra and Ironmen event articles??

Soda's long runs are 20 miles and then some. The day before I have an easy day and I do not load with food. I do drink plenty. Get up at 5am and I am running by 6 to 6.30 (plenty of time for toilet stuff to sort itself out). I take no breakfast or liquid before setting off and I carry no fuel.

Objective is to train the body to run while "ideal" fuel is restricted (this only starts to appear towards the end of your run). To learn and appreciate how the body will feel when glycogen starts to run low (I don't believe a marathon race is the place to find this out). To mentally "toughen up" when runs become uncomfortable.

From "Crazy Training for Crazy Racer's" - running tips than can really knacker you up :0)
  • Intresting so far regarding the eating and morning runs.

I actually find that by doing stretches and sit-ups, this stimulates my bowel movement before I go running, meaning im usually feeling nice and light, despite the breakfast still being digested!
  • Trini - Wow - I am really impressed - very well done! Happy birthday and congratulations on meeting your goal in such fine style. Your report was very affecting - I nearly cried myself.

Fatface - good :)

SGQ -lol!
  • FFG- Great Amsterdam time- well done:)

Trini - fantastic report, I was on the end of my seat! and "HAPPY BIRTHDAY" you deserve to have a good one!

what- 40 min fartlek session at the gym
    why- gradually bringing more speedy runs into my training

Hope the rain holds off here in Poole, so we can take our kids to their athletics club tonight!(they gave rain for most of the day)
  • Back from the afternoon cycle ride - 1 hour is more than enough for me... and it definitely isn't 35 degrees here.

SGQ - the swindon advertiser! Congratulations, you've made it! [Ignore me, I'm only jealous]

RBiB - I think I've told you this already, but you have got to do the "Death Road" downhill cycle ride while you're there! 3000m of drop in a couple of hours - weeeeee - although watch out as there have been a fair few deaths - go with a company that knows how to maintain brakes!

Pops - I'm breaking with the flow a little here: I wouldn't recommend changing coach too hurriedly... I would recommend:
    - not following that half marathon taper plan (I think it's too risky that it could cause injury and tiredness)
    - sticking to just one goal (IMO your early build up for the HM put you in a tricky position when Cardiff came along)
    - I would consider doing less miles overall - maybe just one long run a week - I figure that at the sort of sub-4 hour pace I've managed to run once (failed twice) then a 40 mile training week is equivalent to an 70 mile week for some of the faster peeps on here.
    You (and to a lesser extent your coach) have just achieved 2 PBs in 2 weeks at 2 long distance events - and the evidence from Cardiff was that you are in superb form to get an even faster HM PB - take your time and consider what to do next...

mava and melli - none of that applies to you 2 - you just need to be sealed away from germs and bad luck for the entire taper. I'm still gutted for you both...
  • Excellent Trini - quite superb - what a way to celebrate a birthday!

Marathon training starting on Sunday - exactly 6 months until FLM (have posted off good for age entry form today).

What: 4 miles - started out at a shuffle and finished strong.
    Why: Getting my running legs back.
    Last hard: 5 days (hard circuit training on Blackheath with BMF).
    Last rest: 2 days.

Run well.
  • Trini
    Happy birthday and well done on a great race and super race report:-)

I never eat before a run and LSR up to 16 miles i dont eat either but eat well at around 5pm the night before I also don't take drinks unless over 16 miles.

Holly -Thank you:-)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Thank you all very much for your congrats and feedback, it is overwhelming. You are a very supportive and motivational crowd.

I just got some icing for my cake (not birthday).

They just published the results which place me 11th out of 17 finishers with 2 DNF making it 11th out of 19 starters. I was ahead of the next 3 people by just 4 minutes in over 15 hours of racing!

ps my race number was 11!

Thanks again, now, what next.....
  • Morning running - I normally have some water and a banana or some jaffa cakes and then straight out the door, I find the first 4 miles hard and then I'm more or less OK.

TriniRunner - "we have a pipe" - I bet they did.

FFG - Smashing time there.

Welsh Pops - No idea what is the best but with a marathon I'm sure no matter what the preparation if we wake up only 95% right on the day we can still be disappointed.

What - did 90 minute cycle last night low gear high cadence, got back about 11.30 and straight into bed - was going to go out early today but couldn't get up.

Weights at gym am. Got chatting to a guy built like a gorilla who was giving me some tips on correct form who suggest I take up running, at least 15 minutes he reckoned.

DMRC "easy" training ride later on and then club video evening aka sitting round in a church hall watching some cycle race from the 1970s.

It may be apparent that my ambition to run a decent half mara in Dec has gone by the wayside. I've decided to follow a proper bike training schedule (Joe Friel's Cyclists Training Bible) and see what happens in the first half of next season - then reassess from there.

Is anyone from this thread planning on doing the Fred Whitton cycle next year with the people from the Tri Forum?
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    On the eating and running. I always eat when I go on long runs, normally 2 pieces of toast with spread and jam or peanut butter or bowl of porridge. I also take an energy drink if it's over 15 miles. It's worked ok for me in my marathon training. I only need 30 mins after eating to be able to run comfy.

Short morning runs I don't eat until after the run.

Really I don't seem to have a problem either way.
  • Greetings from San Diego!
    WOW, what an amazing weekends racing. Superb results, epic racing and generally awe-inspiring running of all kinds. Absolutely fab.

Sorry I don't have time to go through all of the results individually, but I'm using the hotel internet and someone is breathing down my neck waiting to get on and use the PC.

I don't really have a good excuse for being in California. My wife had to come here on business at the last minute, her work are paying for her trip and I had a weeks holiday carry over so I thought what the hell.

Flew into LA Saturday. Drove down to San Diego Sunday, got a 15 miler in along the waterfront. Did an easy 9 miler round Balboa park yesterday. Will head out shortly for a 9M run incl. 3x6min @ 5k intensity with 3 min recoveries.

Business is done for my better half tomorrow, so we're going to drive over to Joshua Tree Natl. Park and have a look. No doubt I'll log a few miles there.

May not get to log-in again until I get back, in which case, have a great rest of week everyone and again awesome performances all round.

Hilly, hope you and your daughter are ok. Very sorry to hear about the troubles you described.

BR, a good kicking for the little so-an-so could easily be arranged...tis a short drive from Nottingham to Barnsley ;-)
  • Ooh are the lyrics Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrel ?

• Popsider - LOL, you are right, the smell helped as much as the water!