Tuesday 18th October 2005

Comments

• Would that be 140 kicks per minute or 150 kicks per minute?:-)
  • Trinirunner, wow...just wow! sounds like you've really turned things around and one of the best reports I've ever read! brilliant accomplishment

FFG- great time even with the fall off, and the splits show you've got the potential to go even faster without too much more training, imagine what'll happen when the trainings added!

5 miles done for me in 40 mins, got a track session at 7, hopefully it'll be some longer stuff, last week they did 8 x 1k and didn't tell me! normally we're doing stuff like 1-400m :S.
  • Trinirunner - what an awesome experience! Happy birthday - well done. I remember those sort of bridges in Africa.

FFG - great running - you must be very happy.

Our old dog is doing well - he looked like he couldn't believe what had happened to himself - didn't know what to do with himself. On top of all that he was only allowed to eat a tiny bit of food. Today will be better he's allowed a little - often.
  • FFG and Trini - well done and Happy Birthday to Trini also.

What: About 13km very gentle

Why: Road to recovery

Simon
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    FFG , Trini, super stuff

Thanks for all the well dones, its amazing how a so-so run can lift you though. I feel so motivated at the moment, just hope I get into FLM....

What: jog to the gym (1.25 miles 9.48)
    20 mins at steady 8mph with 4 * 30secs at 10mph to stretch the legs = 2.7 miles
    jog home (9.42)
    Why: stretch legs again, still no soreness ?

I usually do my long runs early (6-6.30 k.o.) and have a banana and a muesli bar, plus take plenty of drinks. I usually go before I leave the house, only been caught out twice (but like BR I know a few 'pitstops'....)

:D
  • NZC - Interesting that the race is based on one run annually in New Zealand. The director of Ecoadventures here does the NZ race and thought it would be good to do one locally.
  • Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Evening

Wow another busy day in forumland

Interesting debate on morning running if I didn’t start work so early would get more running in then. Much prefer it. I’m not keen on night running, esp now that its getting darker. Notice I’m slower in the dark anyone else get this. I suppose its down to that you can’t see as clearly even with torches.

Running bear. How exciting, (trys to picture 3600 metres in the sky.)
    Good choice of lyrics

Mava enjoy the file throwing.

Portaloo I’m trying now to get back into a midweek long run. I’m sure it has its benefits

Melissap – Good news. Long may it continue.

FFG – well done. You did good. Darn good.

Micksta – That training group weekend sounds good. Not quite warm weather training but it’s a weekend away. ;o)

SGQ – love the acronym

Trinirunner. What a moving report felt I was there was filling up with emotion there. I had tears in my eyes as well.
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Graham OMG – hadn’t realised its 6 months to FLM. Where has the time gone.

NZC – glad to hear about your dog.

• BR...I think for him you should ditch the base training and go for a max 183 kick per minute....get some valuable speedwork in ;0)
  • Evening

Trini - amazing reading, well done and Happy 50th.

FFG - Very well done, someone I knew came in the same time as you 2:35.29 you must have been pretty much shoulder to shoulder.

What: 5 miles easy

Why: Long run yesterday/track tomorrow

Last Hard: Friday

Last Rest:16th Oct
  • Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Tonights session

What: 8½ mile mid-week long run
    Why: squeezing the toothpaste
    Last hard: Saturday
    Last Rest: sept 30th

main aim to run @ 70% mhr, for me that is 133bpm but i really had to work hard to get HR over 130 for the first 3½ miles not much better for remainder of run. Averaged out at 68% mhr for entire run

• mavamava ✭✭✭
    somebody please handcuff me or something. I just spent 15 minutes or so seriously considering entering Luton Marathon.

but three laps round Luton??? No way.

And a week before going on a cycling holiday?? I don't think so.

• BT - sorry, not sure on the Thanet 10, its next weekend isn't it?
  • helooooooooooo mava
    why dont you

Trini-loved that report-ad happy borthday

me done 2 miles
    here we go again
  • mavamava ✭✭✭
    Hipps, see above! 3 lap 10ks are tough enough, let alone a marathon. And Luton isn't exactly picturesque. Think I'd rather have fresh legs to cycle Cuba!
  • Trinirunner - think you must be talking about Coast to Coast. It's in our South Island and yes, cycling, running and kyaking. Very tough - a lot of it off-road over a mountain range. A couple of my girl-friends have done it.
    Too hard for this old girl. I can't even ride a bike let alone kyak! Guess we could put a family team in.
    Littlest grandaughter has just come up - (morning here) - given the old dog a big hug - think he's loved!
  • hm
    we will see mava
    me an speedy will be there
    what more do you want
  • Pammie - some serious training going on there - I can see a breakthrough in the near future!
  • Thanks everyone.

Well done trini and happy birthday - report was inspirational.

Speedie - your friend was the Dartford runner? We chatted on the start line and again after the finish - he got a 10 min pb i believe, and ran a superb race.

Wish I could run a marathon every weekend, but legs are giving me clear messages that i can't. I'm wrestling with my conscience over the national road relays this weekend. our team is in tatters and could use me and i'd love to represent the club but feel i might be pushing my luck. I've raced 105km in the last 3 wks (2 x mara, 1 x half) - it really is time for a rest!

Anyway i've said i'll run if they are stuck for a 6th man. we'll see.

Morning runs and food - i would say that by keeping it all slow and easy it should be ok, but i guess it varies a lot person to person. this summer i've done some killer long threshold runs early morning either with or without food immediately before and it hasn't made a blind bit of difference. I'm lucky with my stomach i guess. non dairy helps (for me).

• FFG!!!!!
    Stonking run
  • FFG - Thats right, he is running very well at the moment!

I need about 3 hrs to eat before I run, I suffer very bad with repeating, so I usually eat when I get back.
  • Trnirunner - that is just a fantastic race report and has to be one of those 'out there' experiences! I've just got to find some real nutty race to do now after reading that one.

Now back to the other business of tonight and some great news ........ Thierry Henry's back.

• having a miserable time at work so just popping in quickly to say very well done to all the racers recently - i've found reading your reports very inspirational. will read yours tomorrow trini.

today had my swimming lesson. quite interesting but too short.

what: 30 mins swimming lesson
    why: IM training.

oh and cleaned the bike and set up lovely new clip-on tri bars. much happier with the new ones - the bike looks fantastically sleek now.
  • Hi folks.
    I think its about time I came back from my 'extended sulk' (Tom's phrase - not wanting to post when things aren't going well). I've been back running for about 5 weeks now, and feeling better about life and running, so I'll try and get my act together again.

First, there has been so much to catch up on, so many peeps to congratulate and commisserate with, so please excuse me if i just pick out a few.

Hilly, I do hope your daughter is recovering well, and will be back to her old self very soon. You must be so worried, but its good to see you can keep running and posting through it.

Melli, I've been really impressed with how diligently you have kept to your training schedule and how many miles you had put in. I was sure you were going to way exceed your expectations, so I'm really sorry for you to have come down with a cold at just the wrong moment. I agree with those who suggest you do another marathon really soon. Do you need to limit yourself to this country ? How about a w/e in Florence at the end of Nov? That was the one I had picked out as the best course, and nicest place to spend a w/e, though I've now decided I won't be fit for a marathon this year.

And WP, I'm so sorry your w/e was so traumatic. I too was a little suspicious of the intensity of much of your training, but was hoping/half expecting that the "MP" you had been training at, in fact wasn't, and that when it came to the race you found that pace really easy and ended up running much faster. In the end, so much went wrong with your w/e - esp I believe the food/digeestion parts - that I think it is unfair of us to blame your coach and the schedule you followed.

As for me, I'm up to around 70mpw, all easy to steady. As soon as I do anything faster I still feel my shin. So my plan is to increase my mileage by about 10% per week until I start feeling tired, which I'm not at all, and slowing even more than I am at the moment. Then I'll keep at that milage till I acclimatise to it, by which time I should, I hope, be OK to add some speedwork.

So today:
    What: 7ml am; 5ml pm - all easy on grass
    Why; building miles
    Last hard: months ago
    Last rest: about 3 wks ago
  • Oh, and I wanted to say Happy Birthday, Trini. Your event sounded fantastic, and I'm sure they chose the date for it specially so it fell so well so you!

And Tigger sends his best woofs to NZC's dog.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Thanks MM. Enjoy your break!

TmR, good to see you posting again and glad the shins are now mostly ok!

My daughter is recovering very well now and is nearly back to her old self. I'm quite organised with time management, so it's no hardship to fit in a run or come on here when not at the hospital. I'd rather be on here than sat watching tv:o)
  • Trinirunner - had a chance to read your report properly now - it's clear how much it all meant to you. I think it deserves to be in one of those `human race' features in RW. What do you think?

Felt shattered tonight. Could not face track after last few days so went down the club for an easy 7.5. Nearly turned the car around on the way to that as well!

Oh well, got my own little birthday coming up tomorrow;-)
  • Evening all

Wish I had the time to write more full posts but at the moment its a case of a quick read to see how everyone is doing then adding my days tally.

What: 7 miles with half at tempo
    Why: New tactic - one tempo run a week - targetting a sub 45 min 10k on New Years Eve.
    Last hard: Today
    Last rest: 5 days

Keep safe all.
  • Trini - Great, inspiring report & happy birthday. I have a vague plan to run a 10K on my 50th next year, seems rather tame now!

Melissa - No, it wasn't me although I am occasionaly accused of running around Plymouth. Never do (except the odd race) so I must have a look-alike (scary thought!)

Out in the persistent rain this evening -

What: 1 hour 42 at 70% max HR
    Why: Base training
    Last hard: Yesterday's Hadd Test

Club night tomorrow.
  • Just had to log on for trini's report, that has to be the report of the year, totally gripping and I felt tearful by the end just reading it! What an incredible endurance event to tackle and complete, it's the kind of true adventure event only a few would ever contemplate. Very well done and happy birthday, think you've well and truly achieved your goal and more besides.