Stamford Striders St Valentine 30k

Comments

• Ah, come on M Diddy, you know you just love the lap of the field at the end.
  • Hi Valenteenies
    Its your lovable race director here,well entries are flying in thick and fast now,thats the spirit Coops 10 you know you can do it Love running!!!!!As usual we have been around in the race lead car our morris minor coupe to remark the k markers what i have worked out it seems a long way in a car let alone running it.I can say Valenteenies that i have run the race a number of times my self so i guess ive earned the right to stay at the lovely warm school eating bacon butties and mulled wine while you are all out there achieving your goal of running 18 plus miles,its a hard life.
    good luck and merry christmas to you all valenteenies.
    love running love the 30k
    algie
    race director
    st valentines 30k
  • I've only just recovered from last year :-D
  • Coops10 - that's the attitude - you can do it. But motto: Love running, love the 30K -you know you do.
    Mrs Overall, hope we'll see you back in Stamford in 2006.
  • Oh yes, I thrive on adversity!
  • That's the ticket - I`ll be running it too - excellent training for FLM as several people have already mentioned.

Love running... love the 30K
  • Come on 360, you know you want to

Love running... love the 30K
  • Excellent news ... just got latest copy of Runners world and Stamford 30K has appeared in the UK Top 100 races for the second year in a row. thanks to everyone who voted and has given it good reviews. This year's race is promising to be just as exciting, if not better. Entries are coming in thick and fast now and arrangements are well underway. See you all in February.

Love running.... love the 30k.
  • Of course it's one of the top 100 - was there ever any doubt? :-)

Just entered, see you all there.

Just have to thrash myself into some kind of respectable shape now......
  • I got my number yesterday, I'm number 64. Only 5 weeks to increase the mileage, but I'm looking forward to it.
  • This thread seems to have gone a bit quiet since christmas, are people having second thoughts?
    Did 14 miles today building up to London hopefully this will be my fist 30km.
  • It has been quite on the thread but hopefully everybody is busy getting in those miles after Christmas. Entries are coming in thick and fast now for the race and we are looking forward to an excellent day.

Hope all of your training is going well. We're looking forward to seeing you all on the 13th.

My training has taken a knock over the last 10-11 days with a really bad bug which has laid me up - no running since the 4th Jan. But starting to feel a bit beter now and hoping to have a gentle run tomorrow to get back into it.

Love running....love the 30K.
  • Hi valenteenies four weeks to go ,hands up whos getting nervous ,rest assured once you have completed our race you will go away and go to London or where ever and have complete confidence in yourself, thats why our race is so popular ,thanks to all of you that voted for our race that made it into the top 100 uk races again.
    see you soon
    love running
    love the 30k
    race director
    algie audas
    love you runners xxxx
  • I'm too busy running to be posting LOL!

I'm just starting my third week of London training with a 14 mile run in about an hour's time. 16 next week, 18 the week after, and then it's the 30K. I'm not racing it though, I'm doing it as a long training run, since I doubt I'll be quite race-fit only 4 weeks from now.
  • Well, tomb raider, MRF and all, it may have been quiet on the forum but the entries have been coming in thick and fast and we're about to pass the 300 mark already, and still 4 weeks to go so get them in quick if you want to be sure of a place!

Strider
  • Hi everyone. Sorry to late in joining the discussions but can anyone give me some idea of what to expect in the way of hills, flat etc.
    Already entered and starting to get worried that 30k sounds a long way - - even when training for a marathon.
  • All I can say is, where there's an up there's a down! There are quite a few ups but nothing really horrendous, I found the worst part was the lap of the field at the end. Why do they do that in races?! It's soul-destroying. I think the hills combined with that distance doesn't make for an easy race but it does prepare you well for a marathon.
  • I'm reeeeallly, reeeeallly sorry, Mrs Overall....
    :o(
    it's just there's a small thing called an accurate course measurement; so we can call it
    the "Stamford Striders St Valentine's 30k", instead of
    the "Stamford Striders St Valentines er, well, um, 30k-ish"
    which doesn't have quite the same ring about it - and put a pretty little bicycle wheel type logo on the entry form, LOL!

< No, I'm lying. It's 'cos that Algie's a sadistic b*st*rd! >

strider <~~looking innocent
  • Maybe you could just extend it a bit somewhere else?! Or even start with a lap of the field.

No, at least this year I'll know it's there, it's just that having put a sprint on to where I thought the finish was I nearly died going round that bloomin field!
  • number received today, starting to get worried. Long runs upto 13 miles, but this weekend is my last before the race to put a long one in as I have races the other weekends before this.

Will attempt 15-17 at the weekend and see how I get on I think!!
  • Mrs O - The lap of the field does test your staying power, but if you can manage that, after the rest of the race you know you are well on course for doing what you want at London.

Good luck with your run at the weekend, Hammerite. I am sure you will be fine for the 30K if you take it easy to start with and save something for the latter parts of the race which can be very testing.

Keep up all the good work, you lurrrrrrrrvly runners.

Lurrrrrve running.... Lurrrrrrve the 30K!
  • thanks RB, I wasn't planning on racing this anyway so hopefully I'll have enough to hang on at the end!!
  • Just a suggestion. The course profile is always a invaluable. But I think it could be improved by inserting mile markers along the base, which I have seen with other course profiles. This always helps when you're trying to memorise the courses' 'difficult' sections.
  • Paul - thanks for the suggestion - We are trying to arrange a big blow-up of the profile to have on display in the hall at the race and will put K markers on that definitely but will see what can do about the profile on the web - not sure my IT skills are good enough but know a man whose are so will try to oblige.
  • I've entered the 30k online via the runnersworld system; is there any way of checking with Stamford Striders if my entry has been received? I'm always a bit dubious about online entries!!
  • Hi Gashead - you could drop us a line at stamfordstriders@yahoo.co.uk with your name etc and we can have a quick check if you are concerned. But I am not aware of us having any problems with not receiving entries submitted online. Numbers are going out so you should receive yours fairly soon - perhaps give it to the end of next week and if you haven't received your number let us know.

Love Running.... Love the 30K
  • running babe:
    's OK, we got gashead's entry.

It's one of the batch I d/l and processed yesterday, gashead, so you should have it by next week, all depending on the whims and vagaries of the postal service, of course.... :o)

strider
    <~~ thinks these online entries are brill - much easier to read than the snailmail variety!
  • Thanks folks!! Better get some miles in.
  • no algie the race director is not sadistic!! he just likes to get all the valenteenies safely back to the best position on the field so they can get quickly back in the warm to pick up their bags and get a bacon butty,also we couldnt find the extra distance out on the course to finish it safely out on the road so sorry valenteenies the field it is then and besides its the flattest part of the course so just try to keep that in your head as you enter the school.
    not long to go.
    love running
    love the 30k
    xxxxx
    algie
    race director
    (did i mention its tradition to kiss the racedirector after the race)no blokes please