Options

"Advanced Marathoning" - Pfitzinger & Douglas

Comments

• Options
    "touch" should read "tough"
  • Options
    In my view, a lack of tight relationship between race times (i.e. increasing differential with longer distances) is not a sign of poor aerobic conditiong. I think it is a sign of a lack of muscular conditioning - by that i mean the lack of ability to produce force repeatedly, REGARDLESS of the metabolic intensity.

Those with a adequate conditioning but poor aerobic conditioning would have a consistent (but large) pace differential.

I think this makes sense for you BR, i remember you mentioning having trouble maintaining your usual form in the latter stages of a marathon.

A 16s per mile differential per doubling of distance is pretty typical of higher level club / county distance runners. Elite are more like 10-12s. Sprinters (have data for only a few brave enough to run further than 400m) with muscles able to take the forces but with low aerobic capacities are more like 40+s.

Have some data on this to write up and get published - but its unrelated to my PhD so is on back-burner at the moment.
  • Options
    How would you address this, Alex? Drills? Strides?
  • Options
    Hi Barnsley,

Anything that provides a strength stimulus to the muscles in question will contribute.

Think of it like lifting weights:

You can get a strength simulus for lifting lighter weight (exeerting moderate forces) many times - e.g. slower running.

Or

from lifting heavy weights (exerting high forces) fewer times - e.g. fast running, hill sprints, plyos.

The pertinent variables are force, and repetitions, NOT recovery (though that is pertinent to metabolic training effects). In running terms i use pace and total distance for 'force' and 'repetitions.' You just have to get the balance of the two right to get an appropriate stimulus. Too hard and your legs will be dead for days after (e.g. after hard long road races), not enough and you won't get an adaptation stimulus.

With the pre-ocupation with training the aerobic system (to the neglect of other factors) higher intensity training sessions will often end 'prematurely' due to metobilc fatigue, i.e. before enough has been done to get a strength stimulus.

If you are not running your steadies too close to threshold pace, it is probably the 'strength-fatigue' i'm talking about that you feel as it becomes harder to maintain normal pace toward end of your training runs - if so you are already providing a stimulus - just be patient and lets the adaptaions occur.

The only problem with doing steady runs very slowly is that it then takes vast volumes of running to achieve the strength stimulus, and you may fatigue for other reason (carb depletion, dehydration, boredom) before doing enough.

In a sense, faster is better (more potent, less time / volume required) to a point, beyond which metabolic fatigue gets in the way.

Class dismissed.

Sorry, went on a bit there.

• Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Have just got the forementioned book, not read it yet, but hopefully will encourage me to read and to adapt so that I can some day beat 3:30.....

By the sounds of it youre all a bit a head of me in the reading and applying stakes....

• Options
    I had a good go at Hadd this year, followed by 18 weeks of a jack Daniels programme. Went well, and ran 2.53, but because of programme interruptions etc, never got to feel "comfortable" at much more than 165bpm (193 max). Similar approach this year, hopefully with more miles (av 50, one 60 this year).

Definitely short on tempo runs, because I was really focused on sorting aerobic sytem out, but the 175ish marthon HR suggested by Hadd still seems very unlikley to me (though I didn't use HRM in race) - are some of you able to hold that level of HR for marathon distance?
  • Options
    Yes, I ran Abingdon Marathon last year at 175-180 all the way to 20 miles then 180-183 for the last 10k (with a max of 200).
  • Options
    FS,
    I think that this is a good point. One thing that has always concerned me about the HR zones suggested by Hadd for individuals with a max above 193 is that HR is fixed for a specific session regardless of what your resting or max actually are.

For instance Hadd states "If your HRmax is 193 OR HIGHER, then the following applies:
    HRmax: 193+ (even if over 200)
    Best possible HRmarathon: 175-177 HRav (HR average)".

So, if we two runners, runner A and runner B with a max of 193 and 205, then the HR described above equate to:
    HRmarathon: 91-92% max (A) & 85-86% max (B).

I think that these differences are substantial. Certainly for me, the difference between ~85% max and 90% max is the difference between marathon pace and half marathon (threshold) pace.

So I'm not suprised to hear that you found a 175ish intensity "very unlikley" to be sustainable for the marathon, as it represents 91-92% max, which likely represents your 1/2M race intensity.

I'd suggest that, as you felt, ~165-170bpm is probably the highest HR range you'll be able to sustain in a marathon (85-88% max).

I'd also suggest that, in general, working heart rate (WHR or Heart Rate Reserve HRR) is a much better index to use, as it takes into account your resting and your max (see P&D, Advanced Marathoning pg 25-26), but this is another issue.
  • Options
    MM, I agree I think this bit of the Hadd doc is not well explained/communicated. I think he is indicating that it is a "best possible" HR. I.e. that it may not be achievable for everyone, and I imagine there would be a few individuals for which they could push it higher.

so what he does go into detail on is how you can steadily push that HR upwards (towards the best possible) in training so that you can determine with a decent level of confidence what HR you can hold in the marathon. For me this is far more useful than a theoretical max figure that will vary from individual to individual anyway, as it is giving me a way of determining what I am actually capable of running the marathon at.

E.g. my max is also 193, and I've now got my planned marathon HR up to 170 and "looking ok". Given a few more months (which I don't have) I could give a few more BPMs a try..
  • Options
    Hi all. Having read the last few posts, does this mean that you all use heart rate monitors, and stick to certain heart rates, when running marathon races? I always thought most quick marathon runners ran at certain pre determined target paces?
  • Options
    I don't use HRM in races, but always do in training. In races I always perform better going by "feel" and being confident I've done the training.

MM
    Have used WHR as training zone calc previously. From "SERIOUS training" book.

Z1 135-150 - easy pace; Z2 150-158 steady aerobic; Z3 159-167 Endurance (not much training in this zone); Z4 168-178 Threshold; 179-Max intervals

Last year I had lactate test early in training, and my lactate started to rise above 1mmol at about 163. I would guess that went to about 167 later in year, and my "anaerobic threshold" goes to about 183 after interval training/circuit training block.

This year, following 2 "crashes" I wanted to make sure I could run sub-3 pace in training at a Zone 2 HR. Lots of steady/easy got me there with some to spare.

Is goal MP at the point when your lactate begins to rise, or should I be able to run with elevated lactate (eg between 1 and 4mmols) for duration? never quite been able to get a clear answer from stuff I've read.

Cheers

• Options
    I've never seen it written down either, but I do suspect that it's very close to the lower end (i.e. 1 or whatever the runners "aerobic threshold" is as those numbers vary from person to person) for the first 20 odd miles and then moves steadily towards the upper end for the remaining miles..

I've ordered P&D but not read it yet, but am interested to see what methods they recommend for potential MP estimation..

the Hadd approach, as I understand it, recommends that it is based on whatever HR you can run ~4x5km @ without loss in pace. I've only used this once in a marathon, and apart from the fact that my pace on the day was some ~20s/mile down (long list of reasons) on training track sessions at that HR, it did result in ~even splits, so it must have been close.
  • Options
    LW2, I think there is a lot to be said for running a marathon by HR rather than target pace. If you are fitter than you think you might sell yourself short by setting of slower than necessary, and conversly on a bad day, weather, you have a slight cold or whatever it could save you blowing up. Once you really know the feel of marathon pace I guess you wouldn't need either, but concentrate on running at what feels the correct effort.
  • Options
    LW2,
    As FS said, I use a monitor for all training runs, but don't wear it whilst racing or if I do wear it during a race, I don't pay any attention to the numbers during the race.

FS,
    There is a (basically) linear increase in the steady-state blood lactate concentration from rest through to "lactate threshold", typically 1/2M - 10M race pace. Your marathon pace, providing it is a pace that you can sustain for 26.2M, corresponds to a point on the lactate vs exercise intensity curve to the left of the inflection point which demarcates "lactate threshold". The actual lactate concentration at this point, varies between individuals but will be toward the lower end of the range that you mentioned, as Cartman said.

• Options
    I bought this book a few days ago after some recommendations on here. Just wanted to say thanks for recommending it really. Its so easy to read and the schedules and info is just presented so well when compared to other books on the subject. For someone who has just run one marathon using the RW schedules, even the >55M p/w ones are a bit daunting, but they're backed up with such good reasoning that I think I'll give one a go for my next marathon.

I'm guessing that the thinking behind this book is to allow you to train "smarter" no matter what sort of marathon you are aiming for?
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Agree, MIke A - I bought it too on the strength of the discussion on this thread. Like you I find the prospect of >55 mpw quite daunting - not so much the actual mileage but I have yet to work out how I'll fit a 14-mile run into the middle of the week when I work until 5pm and have an hour and a quarter commute home! Guess we'll be eating sometime around midnight!

What I'll probably end up doing is tweaking the schedules a little bit so that I can realistically fit the training in.
  • Options
    Hi all! Well, I bought and read this book just in case I got in FLM. I now know I am definitely in FLM, so I hope that the experienced marathon runners on this thread won't mind if I post a few questions on here relating to the training plan from this book over the next 4 months?
  • Options
    LW2,
    Ask away!

Minks,
    I'm in the same situation as you, as I'm about to take on a job with a 1:15 commute. I have to eat well before going to bed, so not sure how the 14, or 15 mile midweek run for the <70 mile schedule, will go.

I wish it was summer!
  • Options
    I reckon the mid-week medium-long run is one of the key elemnts of the P&D schedule, so I'd try and fit it in somehow. I have a 1:45 commute, so I do mine at lunchtime, but I'm using the >70mpw schedule for FLM and I'll have problems fitting the doubles in.

Ah well, even less sleep!
  • Options
    WSS...the AM book includes VO2Max sessions...does this mean that you will be ditching bt? ;-)

BTW...it is a great book and I intend to follow one of the schedules as soon as:

1. I am fit again :-(
    2. I have built up my aeribic base sufficently...probably aiming for some time next autumn...will stick to Hadd until then

large parts of the P&D approach is very similar to Hadd anyway, except that they seem to follow the 'pulling LT up' approach as opposed to Hadd who 'pushes it up from below - if you know what I mean.
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    AF, sadly I'm not fast enough to fit a 14 or 15 mile run into my lunch break! It would take me about 2 hours to do that distance as a training run - my colleagues would think I'd done a bunk!

Most I can really manage is about 12 miles after work as it's 12 miles from here to home, so if I'm super-organised with the kit and clothing balance I can run home if need be. I could get away with leaving work 30 minutes early on those days which would mean I'd get home at a reasonable time.

WSS, I SO wish it was summer, if only for the light evenings. Not too bothered about doing 14 or 15 miles in high heat and humidity though ... Commuting is a real drag, time you wish you could spend doing something worthwhile. What was your commute before?
  • Options
    DF,
    The thing I like about AM is it does follow the Base Training/hadd principles quite closely. The VO2max sessions are a necessary part of the sharpening process, and no one would ever say that you follow BT to the exclusion of these. My next few months will adhere to the aerobic BT principles, while taking on board the things I've learnt from AM. I'll follow their long run pattern, and might follow their schedule closer when I get within a few months of Boston. This is roughly what I'm planning (I know you've seen this DF as you've commented on it)

Minks,
    My previous commute was 9 miles, which I could do in 20-40 mins depending on traffic. In the summer, I'd bus in and run home so that I could start my 15-miler at 5pm and be done by 7:30, and it was a lovely off road coastal run which is a total no-no during the winter in the dark.

Actually, I might get a reprieve for a month. There's some last minute in-fighting which might keep me local for a few more weeks. As I write this, I don't actually know where I'm working on Monday!

• Options
    WSS,

Am planning to do Paris having finished Dublin about a month ago and hoped to use the P & D schedules as they match the mileage I'm hoping to do and make a lot of sense (>70 mpw - 18 weeks). I also agree with AF that the (medium) long mid-week run is a great idea. Three questions though.

1) I included hill repeats as part of my training for Dublin (5 x 3 mins, recover jogging back down). I found these to be invaluable but there seems no place for the them in the P & D schedule. Can they be built in?

2) The schedule differentiates between 'general aerobic', 'medium-long', 'long' and 'recovery' runs. P & D allow for heart rate drift between 73 - 83% on a long run, but also suggest an increase in pace over the course of the run. I like that. But does same the apply to the others? I'm assuming not to the recovery runs, but what about general aerobic and medium-long?

3) What are strides? And should they be done at the end of run or interspersed thrroughout a run?

Any clarity on the above would be greatly appreciated. By my reckoning, Monday is 18 weeks to Paris. Gulp.
  • Options
    RM:

1) I would imagine you could fit the hill reps into a general aerobic run - or maybe use them in the VO2 max session. I suppose it depends how hard you run the reps!

2) I don't use a HRM, but I run the long runs at MP +10-20%, starting at +20% and working up to +10%. The medium long runs I run at MP+10% all the way, and everyting else I run at constant pace except the LT sessions where P&D specify the distance as part of a longer session, so I split the difference as a warm up/cool down at general aerobic pace

3) I run the strides as an acceleration up to about 3k pace and hold it. The total time is about 30 secs. I intersperse them throughout the run after a warm up - usually doing one every half mile.

• Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    WSS, that's the trouble with long runs in the winter. I can't use any of the summer routes which I love, as they take in country roads with no pavement and would be lethal in the dark, aside from any personal safety aspect. Most of my runs at this time of year are done on well-lit main roads - safe, but rather dull.

I will probably just compromise on 12 miles for the midweek 'medium long' run - it's long enough to get some benefit and just about do-able in the time I have available.
  • Options
    AF,

That's brilliant. Thanks very much.

RM
  • Options
    Rory,
    To add to AF's excellent reply, I use the following heart rates:
    Recovery: 65%-70%
    Long: 70%-75%
    Medium long 70%-75% (ie same as long)
    General Aerobic: 80%-83% (marathon pace)
    All %s are % of maximum, not working heart rate.

Minks,
    Roll on summer! I did my bit for urban running tonight: 8 miles in gale force winds and painfully driving rain. Lovely!
  • Options
    I never got in to FLM (again) so have entered Lochaber instead. I think I have about 3 weeks left before my 18 week plan needs to start, I think I'll try the 55mpw one and see how I go.

I've been taking it pretty easy since the Edinburgh marathon, a combination of laziness, a baby and lots of long hours at work have made it difficult, so I need to put in some decent miles over the next few weeks if I'm going to be ready for week 1.

I think the main problem is going to be trying to fit everything in.
  • Options
    WS Susie,

That's very helpful, thank you. The long and medium long are pretty much as I intended, but think I'll have to slow down on the recovery runs (which I hate!). It was the 'general aerobic' runs that had me a bit confused, and running them at marathon pace makes great sense and means that I could replace them with a hill sprints session every now and again.

I have a 5k race tomorrow, and then Week One begins on Monday.

A good weeken's running to all.

RM
  • Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    BOING!!!!

For all those considering P&D for their future marathons.