Options

"Advanced Marathoning" - Pfitzinger & Douglas

1235»

Comments

• Options
    I have just finished following a Hal Higdon training plan in preparation for FLM as my first marathon, but will definitely follow this plan when I enter my next marathon.
  • Options
    Just thought I'd raise this thread again. I finished my first marathon on Sunday in 3:46:23 and am fairly pleased with that time, but as stated earlier, that was following a Hal Higdon Plan. I would like to know how those of you following the Pfitzinger&Douglas plan got on as I am now tempted to follow their plan for next years FLM, or possibly this years Robin Hood Marathon.
  • Options
    I am planning to use the >70mpw 18 week schedule starting at the end of June for the Dublin Mara in late October...will post progress on here when I start...until then it's back to base training...
  • Options
    David, can you explain what "Base Training" actually is and what sort of runs you do on "Base Training"? Do you still do Speed Work? Hill Work? Long Runs?
  • Options
    LW2: Not sure what mileage you did for FLM, but P&D will likely be a big step up off the back of a 3.46 marathon. While not exclusively for elites, the programme mainly seems to attract Good for Age runners (at a minimum) and it is demanding.

Although there are versions with differing mileage, the minimum peaks out at around 70 and the exact nature of each run is highly proscribed. While there are obviously recovery runs, there are a lot of runs that are either long, hard, or a combination of both. Almost certainly more than you're used to. If you're not used to stressful training, you will be soon.

I would approach with care. It's not for me to say P&D is beyond you at this point, but I'd have a long, hard, think about whether it's right for you. You need to have a good mileage base from the outset (comfortable running 50 plus mpw for sure) and also a lot of training time on your hands because all of the schedules are demanding. My advice would be to go sub-3.30, if not sub 3.15 before committing fully to a P&D approach.

But that's just my $0.02 worth.
  • Options
    LW...you are better going to the Base Training thread and downloading the Hadd and Lydiard articles...they explain it much better than I.

d
  • Options
    Haile - Thanks for the advice, I will re-read the book, and re-visit the training articles on this website and halhigdon.com and have a serious think about what will be best for me.

David - I will go find those articles now.

As for the 3.46 I did at London, I am obviously fairly pleased with that being my first marathon, but I feel that I could have done better. I am doing sub 42 for 10k and sub 70 for 10 miles and sub 1.36 for half marathons. I figured that with 12 months to go, having only started running 15 months ago, I should carry on improving and maybe get close to sub 3.15 next year?
  • Options
    LW: Based on comparisons you're right, your marathon time should probably be a little lower than it is. But not a lot. Maybe 1.35 rather than 1.46. But the difference is probably just down to mileage (and thus endurance) which underlines my reservation about Pfitz being right for you.

I think you need to work on your base. Whoever said Lydiard is worth reading is right. When you get to 3.15ish, flip to the Hard Training with Mike Gratton thread in the FLM section which, frankly, is just as appropriate as Pfitz.
  • Options
    LW...sorry to be a bit of a Hadd bore, but....it appears as if there is (to use Hadd's phrase) a poor relationship between your respective pbs...as an example, the mcmillan pace calculator predicts that, for a 10k time of sub 42 (let's say 41.50) you should be running a half mara in 1.33.05 and mara in 3.16.19..

This is exactly the point that Hadd makes in his article and the point of base training is to improve aerobic base and therebye improve the relationship between your pbs....hope this mkes some sense...it will when you read the Hadd article

I have been base training since around August last year - with around 6 weeks off in Nov due to injury and my current pbs are; 10k 43.45, Half 1.35.15, and mara 3.21.52....although these are very slow in comparison to most of the people on here who are doing P&D, they are fairly well within the predictions of the calculator...

HU...I ran Paris in the time above...I was on course for sub 3.20 until I hit very bad cramps at mile 23 and ended up on my bum ;0(......I felt very comfortable until at least mile 21 and never felt as though I was lacking energy...I also ran a negative split...

My plan is to use P&D 70+ 18week programme to get down to sub 3.10...and if possible quicker (obv sub 3 is the real long term goal). Do you feel P&D is innapropriate? What else would you recommend?
  • Options
    David: First point I'd make is that YOU know your own body so the judgement call has to be yours. The thing about P&D I would stress (again) is that while it is high mileage, the tough part is that the sessions are very intense. High mileage is actually not that difficult (provided you have the sheer physical time to do it.) But pushing yourself to run almost every session at a proscribed, and often uncomfortable pace, is what makes P&D both difficult but, generally, effective. And that's not easy.

Second point I would make about P&D is -- think about it -- it demands a lot of rest because the training itself is stressful. So not only do you have to commit a fair amount of time to putting in the miles but, if you do it properly, you are going to find yourself falling asleep in the middle of Eastenders :-) In short, you need BOTH time to run AND time for recovery. If that doesn't happen, you'll need a third block of time...at the doctors. P&D drives my wife up the wall not because I'm always running, but because I'm asleep by nine in the evening when I do it.

Next point I would make -- yet again -- is that it's the intensity and not the miles that get the results. The worse thing you can do is cut the intensity corner with P&D because then you'll end up running hundreds of slow miles for minimal benefit.

So to finally stop avoiding actually answering your question, if you feel comfortable with the programme, give it a try. It's not for me to judge but I'd say your times and experience seem to be on the fringes of being able to handle P&D (and if you follow it to the letter, I don't doubt that you'll benefit.) As they say in the intro, anyway, the programme is driven by mindset...it's for people who want to run the best marathon they can so if that describes you...

As for my own experience, I'm 46 and like you (if I remember what you said earlier) have only been running for a relatively short time (three years.) My times have fairly tumbled and PBs are now 39.12 (10k), 87.00 (half) and 3.05 (full) and they are still improving. I used P&D to prepare for Boston over the past three months with the goal of trying to go under 3 hours and until I lost a big toe nail suddenly and extremely painfully at mile 16, I was comfortably on course for that (though that's not to say I would have done it in the end.) Anyway, as a result I ended up limping in in 3.06 though, frankly, you could argue that to come within a minute of a PB when running in that condition for 10 miles is testament enough to the programme.

As the last 10 miles were effectively an exercise in survival and thus took relatively little out of my legs as I couldn't push on -- rather than waste the training I'm just bridging at the moment and will have another crack at sub-3 in Edinburgh in June. However, rather than strictly follow P&Ds 8 week multiple marathon schedule for that, I've taken some input from Mike Gratton which provides an interesting and, I think for me, better approach (oddly enough, a mixture of more short races and more long runs.)

I don't pay an awful lot of attention to those distance comparison charts, personally. That's because unless the comparison is made over a long period, chances are you've trained more specifically for one distance than another so your results are inevitably skewed. In other words, if you spend most of your time preparing for marathons but run a few 10ks to sharpen, you will probably be better at the longer end of the scale than the shorter. Ditto if you focus on training for 10ks, but run a marathon (or two) for variety. The opposite will be the case. Unless you have specifically trained for all distances for which you have PBs, the comparison charts are at best a vague guide.

• Options
    (continued) I think in the end you have to be your own coach -- unless you have your own coach (which if you can afford it is ideal.) I'm certainly informed by P&D, I'm informed by Mike Gratton's schedule and the advice he gives out in the Hard Training Thread, I use Noakes as a bible for many aspects of training, I've read Lydiard, Bill Squires is a personal hero, etc. But the biggest leap of faith is finding the self belief to free yourself from the tyranny of slavishly following any of the above and using the information in all of them to craft a programme based on what your own body can handle.

Remember, all of those programmes are general guides or sets of principles, but none of them takes into account your personal physiology, family situation, appetite for and ability to withstand the rigours of training, work demands, and more. So what you have to do is figure out a). what you can put into preparation for the race in terms of time and energy and then match that up against b). the key requirements of all the programmes above. Out of that will likely come the programme that will work best at keeping your times improving AND your wife happy (though I concede getting your times down is the more important goal:-)

Pfitzinger, though, is certainly an element of the right approach and suggests you're thinking in a positive and aggressive direction.
  • Options
    I used the >70mpw schedule last summer and found it really good. My husband coaches me, so we did tweek a few things, and I did two half marathons one at marathon pace. I trained by heart rate, as can't afford a garmin yet, and found this was fine. I also did some midweek 5k's instead of the VO2 max sessions, but the ones I did I really enjoyed, so nice to get some speed work in in those last few weeks. My max 2 weeks were 95. I didn't make the marathon as discovered I was pregnant just before the taper, but was aiming for <2:55. Will use it again maybe for autumn marathon next year or spring in 2008.
  • Options
    NjordNjord ✭✭✭
    I've been running a little over a year and followed the P+D 18 week less-than-70-mile program to prepare for a debut marathon (FLM06). Prior to starting the program I had established a base of around 50 miles per week with PB's of 43:44 (10K) and 1:35:52 (Half).

During the course of the program, I set PB's at all distances (not surprising given my lack of running history), and which are pretty much the same as Haile Unlikely's - 39:16 (10K), 1:25:24 (Half), 2:58:46 (Full).

It's been said before, but I'm sure that the most useful elements of P+D are the progressive-paced runs of between 13 and 22 miles (and there's quite a lot of them). These are run at a slow enough pace to improve muscle capillarisation/fat-burning efficiency, but not so slow as to allow running form to become loose. The increase in pace throughout each run teaches the mind and body to work harder as fatigue increases. This kind of physical and mental training helps the following become second nature:
    i) holding the pace back during the first half of a marathon
    ii) slowly increasing the mental and physical workload during the second half to maintain the pace

At FLM, all my mile splits (mile 1 excepted) were within a few seconds of the average, and I actually ran a slight negative split.

The speed sessions didn't really appear until a few weeks prior to the taper, and I found the first few very tough. Thereafter, I found my speed to improve quickly with a 5 mile road race being completed in 30:03 a few weeks prior to FLM.

But take the above with a very significant pinch of salt. I've no experience of alternative training philosophies, and I suspect P+D's schedules will not suit everyone - for reasons outlined Haile's last post. My priorities are to enjoy my running, strike a balance with work and family commitments, and avoid injury. For me, P+D were compatible.
  • Options
    Haile...thanks for that very full response...have done quite a lot aof reading and a fairr amount of training so I think that I will be able to adapt any schedule...I like the ambition of the P&D schedule...I suppose that's what atracts most people to it...still plan to do it starting end of June...

Until then, my shrt term plans are to reduce my 10k and half mara times...and also set a 5k time (have never raced this). Improving htese times will help me to decide on relevant paces for P&D runs...

Mitchie and Njord...thanks for the info...Njord..your times prior to P&D were very similar to mine now...
  • Options
    HU,
    Could you clarify why you think that:

"The thing about P&D I would stress (again) is that while it is high mileage, the tough part is that the sessions are very intense.......But pushing yourself to run almost every session at a proscribed, and often uncomfortable pace, is what makes P&D both difficult but, generally, effective. And that's not easy".

I followed P&D >70mpw 24 week schedule last time through and whilst I'd agree that some of the sessions are tough, there's also a great deal of steady aerobic running in between, with plenty of chance for recovery.

Have I misunderstood your statement?
  • Options
    Njord: Interesting post. Can I ask how old you are (more specifically, are you a vet or not?). Also amused by the negative split, something Pfitz is not keen on. His theory seems to be that if you run a negative split, it means you've underperformed in the first half of the race :-) But seriously, you've really achieved a lot and speak volumes for the Pfitz method.

David: I maintain that one of the hardest things in Pfitz is running the proscribed speeds, specifically pushing yourself to run at uncomfortable tempos when you're training alone. Given that we may not be miles and miles apart (in goals and geographies), if you want a training partner for the occasional long run as we head towards autumn marathons, send me an e-mail.

Marmite: I think my comment to David (above) explains what I mean. In my view the tough bit is not that there are too many miles or not enough chance to recover...it's that the programme really requires you to run hard in the hard sessions at very specific paces, and it requires a lot of self discipline to do that if you're training on your own. Any idiot (even me) can lace up their shoes and do a 5, 10, 15, or 20 miler by plod-plod-plodding. But relatively few have what it takes to do it at the sort of tempos that Pfitz prescribes...for instance, to step up the pace just when, after a number of miles, they're starting to feel the fatigue set in. Njord proves what you can achieve with Pfitz if you have self-discpline.
  • Options
    NjordNjord ✭✭✭
    Haile: I’m 35 next month. I neglected to say that the negative split was 4 seconds :-), so I guess most people might consider that even pacing. I don’t have P+D to hand, but I think they suggest optimum pacing for amateur runners would tend to result in a second half that is 1-2% slower than the first.

For anyone looking to make significant improvements using P+D, my hunch is that running the medium and long runs at the advised pace early in the schedule is too risky. My initial target marathon pace was based on 3hrs30 for the first month’s training, but then increased after about 5 weeks to 3hrs15 and then again revised to 3hrs00 after about 10 weeks, after seeing dramatic improvements in my shorter distance times.

P+D might say something similar in their book (I’ll check later), but I don’t think I would have remained injury-free back in December if I had launched straight into long-runs at 3hr + 20%/10% pace.
  • Options
    HU...I will email you...

Njord....that is a very helpful comment...I have been wondering about how 'dynamic' the training paces should be, i.e. how much should pace and goal be revised during the schedule as fitness (and race results) improve)...thanks..think I will start with 3.15 goal...
  • Options
    Hi all, I was having a quick browse of my book last night, and noticed that there is a table listing the different levels of heart rate and heart rate reserve with regards to what training run you are doing. But there is no mention of a suggested heart rate for a "General Aerobic" training run. What level of heart rate or heart rate reserve should these runs be done at?
    As I said, it may be mentioned somewhere, but I was just having a quick browse at work last night.
  • Options
    CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    LW2, 70%-75% MHR is good for general aerobic.
  • Options
    Thanks Cartman. I have now worked out my heart rates for training, except for the medium long runs. Should these be done at the same heart rate intensity as the Long Runs?

Oh, and any of you guys on here doing the Abingdon Marathon in October?
  • Options
    It's ok, I found the answer to the above question when re-reading the book. "..the pace for these runs should be similar to the pace of your long runs..."
  • Options
    Hi all....just improved my HM pb from 1.35.15 to 1.31.38...hopefully 5k and 10k will show similar types of improvement so that I can set reasonable pace levels for P&D (starting end of June).

Will try to get HM time below 1.30 at East Kilbride (25 June).

Question on HR v pace. Having followed Hadd closely over the last few months, I do almost all of my runs by HR rather than pace. This means that, when I hit a hill, my pace drops (sometimes significantly) so that HR stays within set limits.

Although P&D gives HRs for all of the key sessions, it also gives pace. So, which one should take precedent? My instinct is that I should move more towards pace based training relative to current race times.

What do you all think?
  • Options
    Hi David, fantastic news regarding your new pb, well done!

I have to admit I sometimes get confused with the mention of heart rate and pace.
    I am sure I read in this book (might have been another one though), that unless you run on the same flat section of road or track when you do every training run, then heart rate is better to use as you may struggle to stay in a general aerobic heart rate when hitting hills/inclines if you are worrying about pace, you may end up in VO2 or Lactate Threshold heart rate. Does that make sense?
    But I may have misunderstood this, so if I am wrong, hopefully someone can put me right so I can alter my training.
  • Options
    DF - Hadd would say always stick to HR as that is what the training is based on. Thing is, come summer your HR is elevated due to heat, your pace drops and you can become dispirited. If you're targeting an autumn marathon it'll all come back though.
  • Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    I've just started the <70mpw 18wk schedule. Can anyone tell me what pace and %MHR to run the General Aerobic sessions? I'm guessing it would about 80%MHR?
  • Options
    NjordNjord ✭✭✭
    nrg-b: P+D suggest 75-80%MHR.

I followed this advice, and let the pace take care of itself. From memory I think it tended to deliver about MP + 10% (ie the pace achieved at the end of a P+D long run).