Options

FLM 2006 Sub 4 hours

Comments

• Options
    LauraFLauraF ✭✭✭
    I mean the Sussex Beacon half (in Brighton) - obviously :)
  • Options
    LauraFLauraF ✭✭✭
    FLM magazine came today. I'm number 1922
  • Options
    My magazine arrived this morning :) Cant remember my number, its 8 thousand something. Am really chuffed, cannot wait.
  • Options
    Hello CanI join in?
    My Pack Arrived this morning - First time for me!
  • Options
    I'm in! I cant wait! I've done a couple of half marathons, P.B at 1hr 47mins but this is my first full marathon. Not too sure what to expect time wise.... slower than double the half marathon me thinks! It would be nice to get sub 4 hours tho! Good luck all!
  • Options
    I'm there too. I'm going to be doing the Tadworth 10 on January 8th, Brighton Half in Feb, andd Hastings Half in March (think it's that way around anyway) in prep. Anyone else doing those? I reckon a 1:45 half is a reasonable target for Feb.

Chris - my best half was 1:58, and I did a full marathon in 4:08 including 6 miles of hobbling at the end so I reckon you're looking at sub 4:00 no probs.

Good Luck all!

• Options
    I'm doing the Great North West Half Marathon in Feb in prep for the FLM. Apparently a good course for PB so fingers crossed.

GreatNorthWood - well done with time, unlucky with the hobble!
  • Options
    LauraFLauraF ✭✭✭
    GreatNorthWood - I'll be doing the Brighton Half in Feb too. Thinking of the Cranleigh 21 in March too, or maybe Worthing 20 (not sure when that is...)
  • Options
    Its gone very quiet on here! Have we all sunk into a well I,m in now I,ll start training in the new year trap?
    I have had a cold for the last week and hadnt run for a week till yesterday, Did a steady five miles. Going out for a six miler today, Then a couple of days off before Keyworth Turkey trot on Sunday.
    Hope your all enjoying your running.
  • Options
    Enjoying mine tr.

I am just plodding at the moment though. Have not done any speed work since last September. The joys of that are to come in January.

Good luck in the Turkey Trot. The thought of it makes me feel hungry!
  • Options
    Can a FLM reject join in?

I'm doing Lochaber on the same day so need a forum to join and motivate me :) PB is 4.06 hoping to beat it
  • Options
    Finished my half marathon training plan last week and did 13.1 miles last Monday. Went out Wednesday for 5 miles, and have had a sore pain on the outside of my left thigh ever since, around where my knicker line would be at the top of the thigh bone. Haven't been for a run since Wednesday as I am waiting for the pain to go, but it is still there! When the skin is touched it feels like how a bruise feels. Anybody have any idea what it could be? Anything I can do about it? Should I see my GP? Keep telling myself it is better to have an injury now than in the run up to FLM. Still find it frustrating not running though. Have also posted on the injury to see if anyone there can help.

• Options
    Runnnerbean your symptoms sound as if you may have strained the muscles and fibrous tissue in your thigh. Whilst this injury is fairly uncommon it is most probably due to over use - a sort of repetitive strain injury.
    Rest for a while until the pain subsides (and then perhaps a little bit longer) - frustrating I know. Then build back up slowly. Light thigh exercises (that doesn't aggravate the pain) will probably help to strengthen the muscle. See a physcio or doctor if then pain doesn't subside by the end of the week.
    I'm not certain it is this but from your descripion it sounds possible.
    Good luck!
  • Options
    Just found out I'm in. Acceptance mag lost in post.

I'm desparate for sub 4.

2004 - 4hrs 41mins - no previous races
    2005 - 4hrs 18mins - 1hrs57mins HM
    2006 - ??? - 1hrs52 HM

I've just got a Garmin 301 for my birthday and it's great. No wonder I didn't run faster before - must have been really plodding my long runs. No excuses now with the Garmin bleeping at me to speed up!

Did 10 miles in 1hr27mins yesterday. Thinking of only running 4 times a week instead of 5 to keep up motivation.
  • Options
    Congrats Caramel Bunny. The hard work starts now!
    I'm really hoping for sub 4 hours but this is my 1st marathon. Best half is 1hr 47. Fingers crossed!
    I've just bought a Garmin 201 - waiting for it to arrive in the post.... anyday now!! :-)
  • Options
    Chris - you'll love the Garmin. It makes sooo much difference knowing how far you are running and not leaving it down to a piece of string on a map. It's a real confidence booster! I've only used it for 4 runs so far but I've already pushed myself much harder just like if you're running with someone else.
  • Options
    Excellent. I'm sure I'll be in for a shock - I think I have a habit of over estimating how far I actually run!
  • Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    caramel, we share 4.18 as a pb, and I am getting garmin 301 for christmas! Can't wait you all make it sound so good.
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Options
    Hello Gang,
    thrilled that I can now officially join this thread after receiving confirmation today that I have a gold bond place with the Brain and Spine foundation.
    really thrilled.
    Time for FLM so far have been 2002-5.09, 2003 4.55, 2005- 4.19.40 (Ran Dublin few weeks ago- poored with rain for most of it and managed 4.19.04!)
    Really feel I have sub 4 in me.. need to do more speed work. My sister and her friend will also be running it. They are faster than me so plan to do some training with them and hopefully it'll push me harder-
    Im SOOOOOOOOOO excited!!
  • Options
    Chris rule - thanks for advice on my thigh injury. Today is my second pain-free day so I plan to do a gentle plod later. Hopefully it will be ok.
  • Options
    Whats your justgiving web address Billie?

Mine is www.justgiving.com/garethbcc

I have a garmin 201 and would not be without it. I use it for every single run. Currently saving the pennies for a 301.

Enjoy the training everyone :)
  • Options
    Hi RD
    I havent set one up yet. I have spent most of the morning ringing family and friends and teling them that im in!
    Usual response from most people "why on earth are you putting yourself through that again" and "I suppose you'll be asking for some money soon"
    I will set up a page on justgiving as I have used them before.
    Down side is that I am currently getting over a virus. havent run for 2 and a half weeks but getting better each day so hope to get out at weekend.
  • Options
    Hi folks,

Newcomer to this website, this forum, and more importantly, to the FLM - am very excited/nervous about the whole thing! Got a Gold Bond place with Get Kids Going, goal is £1,500, also quite intimidating. Would like to run the FLM in sub-4, but only have a 1.55 Hastings HM to go by... Been doing a lot of junk mileage, and am trying to focus/stucture my training a bit more.

Been reading everyone's words of wisdom and bubbles of excitement, hope you don't mind me joining you in your discussions! hope everyone's happy and healthy, Rus-tay
  • Options
    Permission to join please ?

Accepted into my first ever FLM after 5 attempts never actually run a marathon before.

I am 39 and run for enjoyment and to maintain health and weight, i am not a member of a club.

This year i have run more than ever, done 6 half's, quickest in 1 hr 52 and only the GNR in over 2 hours (heat, crowds & having fun slowed me a little). have done 2 x10 milers in 1;21 and the Pudding run last weekend (which my Garmin said was 10.40 miles) in 1.24.

Done 4 10k's quickest in 51 mins
    My problem relates to schedules, i tried doing a sub 2hr RW schedule but got shin splints soon after increasing frequency and i believe particularly commencing speedwork !

Now i run at the weekends and once midweek, i am a little overweight and have always struggled with this (i can gain a stone in a two week holiday).

Not sure about increasing frequency too much (4 x a week max ?) and another major problem is that my training partner didn't get in and is likely to concentrate on his preferred endurance cycling, 4 weeks ago we went out and managed 15.25 (garmin) in 2:28 andmy intention was to do a really long run every 3-4 weeks, will i cope or will 4 hours be unachievable ??

help please !
  • Options
    Hi all mind if I join in?

I am so desperate to get under 4 have made 2 attempts and both times the wheels have come off big time, each time I have suffered badly with cramp.

Edinburgh was my first go caught a cold still ran and ended up with bad cramp at 11 miles but keep going for a 4:38.

Then Abingdon again cramp this time at 15 miles and struggled on to finish in 4:42.

I know I can do it as I have completed a 20 miler in 2:55 and my best Half is 1:45 with an average of 1:48.

So an help and advice i can get from this thread would be greatly appreciated.

• Options
    Bodge - I'm sure you'll be able to do sub 4 if you can get over that cramp. I think cramp can be down to dehydration and lack of salt so you need to practice drinking more on your long runs and hydrate well the day before plus try some energy gels to replace salt lost through sweat.
  • Options
    Bodge I agree with CaramelBunny - make sure you maintain hydration during the race and that you are fully hydrated before the race. Avoid caffeine drinks on the morning of the race and cut down (if not totally avoid) caffeine in the couple of days leading up to the race. Isotonic drinks sound like a good idea. Good luck.
  • Options
    Won't hear about whether I've got a club place until 27 Dec! But am desperate to get in and get sub 4. Have a half PB of 1:56, 10m of 1:22 and 10K of 0:47. The 10K was recent and I've improved quite a bit in the last year. Am scared though that it's 3 times my run home from work (8.6 ish miles) which I did yesterday in 1:18 which pro-rates to 3:59 which obviously means I need to improve since I need to be faster over a shorter distance! Am hoping though as my 47min 10K on one race predictor gave me a marathon of 1:37!
  • Options
    Nice to see some new posters on here, I,m sure that more will start to look in after Christmas.
    Did Keyworth Turkey trot (half mara) on sunday. Was aiming for 1.47 did 1.48.20, Had cramp at around 11 miles and really slowed me down for last two, I think I need to start using gels as mentioned in previous thread.
    Have had stomach problems when using lucozade sports drinks, Anybody recommend anything?
    I have also recently purchased Garmin 201, Fantastic bit of kit! Sweatshop have been selling them at £125 recently which is pretty good.
  • Options
    hi all, any one following the RW sub 3-45 plan? I'm two weeks in now, been getting the times in the plan, but don't know if I can keep it up for the full 15 weeks, it seems a lot of miles and speed runs for a sub 3-45, I've not followed a plan before just run now and again so have no tmes to go by,has anybody followed another plan with les days/miles and got a sub 3-45 or should I just stick with this one and hope!