FLM 2006 Sub 4 hours

Comments

• Wohoo Garmin 201 arrived this morning. Cant wait to try it out!
  • Chris

Nothing else can beat it don't listen to those other threads. It will be the best investment you have ever made when it comes to running equipment.

Go for it and just see how far you have been running.

enjoy....:-)))

• Not sure if i can do sub-4, but will definately give it a go!

My two marathon attempts so far have been well outside 4 hours (nearer five in fact), but my running has really improved in the last six months. Set a new half PB of 1:46 at the Keyworth Turkey Trot last Sunday- I maybe passed you near the end, tomb raider?

Fingers crossed we all stay healthy between now and April 23rd. I am intending to follow a Hal Higdon intermediate programme too. I like the idea of an 18 week programme rather than a 16 week one, as it gives you some leeway if you pick up colds etc.

Entered Stamford 30K in Febuary.

April 23rd- 18 weeks from this Sunday!
  • That's a good HM time Nigel, well done. You seem on track for a sub 4 hour marathon.
    I know the feeling all too well though... can I.. can't I?!
    Fingers crossed!
  • Thanks Chris.

Enjoy playing with your Garmin. I have a 101 and find it really useful on long solo runs, as it stops me from running too fast. I set the virtual training partner for say 10.5 min/mile and just keep up with 'him'.

It's also really good if I miss my club's speed session as I can programme one in and do it in the local park at lunchtime.
  • Nigel S yes if you did 1.46 you probably did pass me in the last mile or so as I really struggled with that last climb.
    Well done with your time!
    I,ve been looking at the Hal Higdon programmes as well, Cant make my mind up which one to do. I had better make my mind up soon as 18 weeks dosnt sound long!
    Stamford 30km sounds interesting I think I will have a look at that.
    Lets be positive: sub 4? Yes we can!
  • tomb raider

Last year completing the Stamford 30K gave me loads of confidence that I could actually complete a full marathon. After all, it's only another 7.5 miles :-)

The hills are plentiful, but not too bad in terms of difficulty- just lots of them! Nothing as bad as the one at 10.5m at Keyworth at any rate!!! I ran 2:51 last year (half PB was 1:58 at the time). The course profile on the website will give you a good idea.
  • Yes have just been looking, dosnt look to bad at all. Think I will do this and then do Ashby20 in March.
  • Forerunner users - do you use the SportTracks software? Its so much better than the stuff that Garmin provide. It automatically downloads road maps of your routes, satellite images, inserts weather conditions for that date, produces graphs etc etc. And best of all... its free!
    http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTracks/
  • Hi all,

I put in for London but unfortunatley didn't get in. But have found out today that the company I work for have 15 guaranteed places, if I fancy being on the start line I have to convince them in 100 words or less that I've got what it takes. So i'm going to give it a go.
    The only thing is I don't find out if I've got a place untill Jan sowill have to follow a schedule as if I've got in.

If I do get in I would be hoping for under 4hrs which I think should be possible, as my PB's at present are:
    10k - 46:57
    10m - 1:20:31
    13.1m - 1:47:50

So just need to wait untill Jan now. Aaaghh.

• TCPTCP ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

Got into London for the first time (done it twice before through charity). So far its done three marathons, been very gutted three times with terrible runs. So I've been training since August and I'm feeling good.

Recent runs:
    10k - 46:36
    13.1m - 1:47:56
    16m - 2:10:47
    Very similar to you Shorty.

Fingers cross but sub-4 is a real possibility for me especially after the 16 in October. I second goal is 3:55:10 which is my Dad's PB which he got when he was 59.

So, I just hope for an injury free 4 months 4 days so I can do myself justice.

• Hi All,
    A little deflated today went out yesterday and did 15.25 miles in 2.21, did the same distance 3 weeks ago in 2.18, more upset that i feel rough today because i have pain in my knees i am not injured just sore, panicking that an extra 11 miles will be beyond me come the big day.

Xmas will mean extra pounds too !
  • Blimey good for you lot doing 15 milers already. I'm warming up now on about 25 miles a week including hillwork and track sessions.

Did 4:08:16 in Berlin Marathon - hoping to go under 3.45, but reckon somewhere between there and 4.00 is a more realistic target.

PB's are:

10K 45:12
    10 Miles: 1:16
    13 Miles: 1:56
    26 Miles: 4:08:16

I get problems with my knee after about 10-15 miles hence the huge difference between 10 and 13 miles. Any advice?
  • Hi everyone,

Was just wondering if anyone had any advise on the ol' inflamed achilles tendon? My right one is a bit tender, not really painful, but it's the first time I've experienced this, and don't know how concerned I should be? I'm one of those that would tend to plod on, but would appreciate hearing from others who may have dealt with this before. Cheers, and Merry Christmas!

(I'll also post to the Injury forums)
  • Stu92Stu92 ✭✭✭
    Hi all, going to be giving the sub 4hrs a shot. Done 2 marathons before is keek times of 4.56 and 4.51. My best
    10K : 43
    13.1m :1.37

I too can get up to the 17mile mark but get very painful knees. But this time more weight training, less booze should do the trick. well maybe?

Anyone following the RW marathon plan email?

-Stu
  • Hi stu,

I've gone with the Hal Higdon program and rejigged it around my club runs. Just started week two this week and it feels good but there are another 16 weeks to go.

I have tried the RW sub 4 program twice and failed at both attempts so I thought it was time for a change.

• I just won my club ballot for their FLM place - yippee, lucky me!!

This will be my first marathon. I've completed a few halves, with my pb 1:52 in March 2004. I've slowed up a bit since then due to an injury + rehab. My best 10k time in 2005 has been 50 minutes.

I would dearly love to complete the FLM in under 4 hours, but am not sure if this is realistic. I'm thinking of following the schedule at http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?SP=&v=3&UAN=109

Is this schedule going to be appropriate for me? Is sub-4 hours achievable?
  • Stu92Stu92 ✭✭✭
    Bodge,

How far out where you when you followed the RW sub 4 prgramme?
  • LauraFLauraF ✭✭✭
    Hello fishy - fancy seeing you here :)
  • hey, london 2006 is going to be my first marathon and i dont really know what time i should be aiming for. I am 18 yrs old and do 10k in about 38-40mins and 10miles in approx 65 mins. 10 mile is currently my furthest distance but looking to do some long runs soon. any advice is much appreciated. cheers.
  • Hi All, hope you can all bring some tips on training to a marathon novice like me.

PB for half is 01.51.52.

Have a schedule and plan to start it religiously new years day. Yes that is right, new years day.
  • can I join too? FLM 2006 will be my first marathon. Sub 4 may be ambitious . Ran on and off for a few years, but only regularly since this Summer.
    PB for half - 01.49.33 early November 05.

long runs up to 18 miles alternate weeks, but todays appalingly bad as tried to run through local park with heaps of slush - cut short to 11m.
  • Just started seriously with my schedule and did 13 miles.

Happy new year everyone
  • First marathon for us. We're planning on following the runners world emailed schedules. We (vicky and jon) both got in through the ballot in the same year (my 4th attempt, Jon's 3rd) Our half marathon times are 1 47 and 1 52, so sub 4 h seems realistic. However, I put down sub 4 h on my form, and jon put down sub 4 h 30. Does this mean we wont be able to start together?
    Looking forward to following this thread, we've had a bit of a lull over the christmas period but the training starts today!
    Vicky
  • Stu92Stu92 ✭✭✭
    When you get your running number it will have a 2nd number stating which post you should start at, but you could easily start in a post different futher back. Last time I did it it seemed a bit of a free for all. But there are more than 1 starting places (can't remeber the park names). Wait and see I'm afraid, until you get more info from FLM.
  • Shorty25 - just seen your post. 1hr 47 for the half was exactly what I ran when I did my PB of 3hrs 48.
  • LauraFLauraF ✭✭✭
    Jack - best bit of advice I can give you is find a training program you like the look of and follow that. Much easier than trying to do you r own thing.
  • Stu92Stu92 ✭✭✭
    13miles Tortoise of the North!! show off
  • Hey guys - reading your posts here, i think i may be over ambitious. I was going for a 4hr target, but my best 10k is 57mins. i wasnt gassing and paced myself, but dont think sub 50 was likely.

Given that im following the rw training schedule already, do you think ive got a hope or should i go 4.5?

cheers!!