FLM 2006 Sub 4 hours

Comments

• Happy new year everyone! How is the training going?
  • hello all and happy new year, I am a new member and its my first time on the site, can I join this target time please?
  • Graham, I have only ever once in my life run a sub-50 10km, but I've a mara PB of 3hrs 48. My half-mara best is 1hr 47.
  • Thanks for that Ironwolf

Did you follow a RW training schedule for your 3hrs 48?

Happy new year everyone!
  • cheers Laura. will see what i can find.
  • Hello All. New to this site. Have been flicking between the sub 4 and sub 3:45. I am not really a runner but did the FLM in 2001 (my first) in 3:45 following the RW mag schedules. I had never done any other racing and no races up to the big day. I hadn't a clue! I hit the half way point on 2 hrs exactly so did a faster second half. Good old speed sessions. So Im in again after 4 rejections , a badly sprained ankle and a bit older and definitely not wiser. Reading these messages makes me think Ive misses the train a bit but I did a 8 mile on NYD in 67. However like a pre msg Im having a bit of achilles pain. To that person I recommend taking 1500 mg of Glucosomine a day and if possible getting some Diclofenac down yer to help with inflamation. Anyway all the best to everyone. Happy New Year.
  • Graham - no. The plan set up by our club trainer. It basically involved running 6 days a week, Mondays off. We did a lot of 15km and 20km running during the week, Tuesdays speedwork (6 to 8 x 1km repeats), Thursdays circuits/weight work in the gym followed by a 10km run, 18 miles on 3 Sundays of the month and 21 miles on the 4th one. 2-week taper before the race. Worked for me.
  • Woah. That seems a far more intense schedule than the RW one.

Sounds bearable though....just!

Maybe I should join a running club for some additional motivation too.

• Graham, I can strongly recommend joining a club.

Running on your own can become boring and you can start to loss the will to go out on these damp and cold nights and it helps when it comes to those long runs at the weekend.

• Thanks, I think I will.

Any idea of any in Greenwich, London? The Blackheath Harriers one is actually in Bromley, which is a bit too far away.
  • Graham, I think the RW ones are good if you have no idea at all on what to do, but otherwise they are too easy.
  • Hi everyone. Best follow the format laid down by others better and wiser than me...

Standard opening line: Hi! I'm another new joiner to the thread. Hope it's not getting too crowded in here.

Previous times: FLM (2004) 4.13 after getting a very sore knee and then hitting the wall. HM PB is 1.44 (Reading 2005, dullest race ever). Most recent race was 10M in 1.19.56 (by my watch, whatever the official time says I was under 1.20!)

Mostly train on my own, which I don't mind. Have managed to keep going, more or less, over Christmas and New Year.

Like everyone else, sub-4.00 is the target for FLM, and my times say I should be able to get there with training.

And my question for you all is: Anyone else confused by the Runners World schedules? I printed off the "intermediate" schedule and started to follow it, then looked at the sub-4.00 weekly schedule that's emailed out. The latter seems gentler, with fewer miles to run (average 1 less per day). I got the impression that "intermediate" was about our level (reasonably experienced on this board, all realistically aiming for sub 4).

So looking around for other schedules to find one that suits. I fancy something that specifies something more interesting than just miles, e.g. the speed work, hills and fartlek etc. Anyone got suggestions? Google was less helpful than I'd hoped.

Thanks, and good luck to you all!

• PhilC, I'm following the Hal Higdon program for a change in an attempt to achieve the sub4 mark having failed twice before.

http://www.halhigdon.com/#marathon

You can chose the intermediate I or II or what ever suits.

• Bodge I,m using the Hal higdon plan as well, seems quiet good.
    I,m a bit in front of the plan at the moment as I started training early in Dec.
    May have said this on this thread allready but I would recommend anybody doing this amount of training to get themselves a garmin. I dont think I could do without mine now, as it gives you so much info both during and after your runs.
    I hadnt relised on my training runs before how fast I used to start at, and then blow up. I,m now much more controlled in the first few miles which pays back later in my long runs.
  • Yup, I was the same tomb raider - I soon realised after my getting my garmin I was running much faster in the first couple of miles than I should be. It's a good piece of kit. I think I might do the Hal Higdon plan from now on....
  • Hi All,
    You Lot are well serious about theses schedules!
    Due to the pressures of work/Wifes work Childcare & stuff, I am just about managing 3, 7-10 mile runs during the week and a long run on the weekend. My next Long run will be 15 miles this Saturday. All this chat about speedwork and running every day, is making me think that perhaps a sub 4:00 marathon isn't going to be possible.
    My best race times are: HM 1:46:11 10M 1:18:36 & 10K 46:11... any Ideas?

• MadameOMadameO ✭✭✭
    Those times look pretty good to me Stace!

I too need to ask for some advice... I'm not that experienced, so apologies if these sound like silly questions.

The FLM this year will be my first ever marathon. I started running in April and my weekly long run is currently at 13 miles in just under 2 hours, during which I feel quite comfortable. I have raced one 10k (in June) in about 52 mins, but did have stomach cramps for most of it due to IBS, which I now have medication for.

I was really hoping to try for sub-4:00 in April but now I'm not so sure. Does that sound like a realistic aim, or a bit over-ambitious?
  • Tomb R, Chris, couldn't agree more about the old garmin. best bit of kit I have ever own and well worth the price tag.

Stace, your times look good to me and having a target to go for is just what everyone needs and as long as you are able to get those long runs in at the weekends and slowly increase them you will be ready on the day.

remember no more than 10% increase at a time and if you feel tired rest.

• Thanks for that Bodge. Think I was just getting the willies ya know?
    I too have a Garmin, it's a 301 with the HR monitor. I find having four bits of info readliy availble is invaluable.
    ie; Time/mileage completed/pace/HR.
    I do have one problem though. When I use the training partner I always fall behind as where I Run has quite a few hills. Is there a trick to this or do I just have to lower the expectation?
    Any Help gratefully received...
  • I have a foretrex 201 for hillwalking. I guess it serves the same purpose. Disadvantage being that it doesnt have heart rate, it does however take in elevations. You can link it up with memory map of your area with elevation data.
  • I feel a little misplaced on this Forum, all of a sudden some pretty impressive times are being broadcast, dare i confess that tonight is the first time i have ventured out since December 22, i ran a very steady 5 miles in 45 mins and i am going to follow the Hal Higdon proramme for the remaining weeks as it has less emphasis on speedwork where i came unstuck in the past. Running from now just steady until my slightly Xmas full body which always carries a few extra pounds gets used to 4/5 days per week ! i think 4.5 hours is the best i can hope for.

p.s. can't find a photo for the mugshot which is small enough to download but you can see me at;
    http://www.justgiving.com/big40
  • Graham - if you download the SportTracks software you can export your data into google earth which is pretty cool. SportTracks works with the Forerunner 201 so I assume it will with the Foretrex. Its a free piece of software.
  • Thanks Chris, will give it a go. Google Earth is incredible.
  • Hi Guys

Entered for the FLM after pulling out last year with hamstring problems, that plagued me most of last year. Last 3 months have been injury free. New shoes, plenty of stretching etc. Anything under 3:56 will be a PB.

Anybody doing any halfs as part of their training schedule?

I have entered the Watford and Berkhamstead halfs. Never run either of them. Any thoughts?
  • I'm doing the Great North West half - I need the pressure of knowing I have entered a race to get me up in the mornings and out running!
  • Stu92Stu92 ✭✭✭
    Doing the Inverness Half in march.
  • Got the Stafford half planned, it is also a champion chip event 19 March 2006.

• How many twentys are you planing to do?
    I have had a lot of advice of expeiranced mar runners and they have said try to do three.
    Alot of plans I have seen say just one.
    My training partner says he is only going to do one as he has read that anything over 18 starts to breck down muscle.
    Looking forward to a 13 miler on sunday then home to watch my home town team play utd.
  • Tomb Raider. I am aiming for 3 (2 weeks apart) barring any mishaps. I have found from past experiance the first one has always been lacking in quality even though I build up by no more than 10%. The last 3 weeks before the big day I try and do 20 miles at marathon pace. I don't know if thats right, but seems to work for me, and it it is a big confidence boost. Ran my last two marathons 4:00 to 4:15, Aiming for 3:30 to 3:45.

I only run 4 days a week.
  • Hi All. Thanks for tips on schedules. Have looked a Hal H and another that a friend sent me and concluded that in the end they are all hard work! I'm looking to do 5 runs a week with the big miles at the weekend so I reckon I've looked at enough schedules to figure it all out.

Re halfs, I'm booked for Bath in March and thinking about maybe one other a bit sooner, just to get in the racing mood and get a feel for how fast I am. Last time I did FLM (2004) I did Hastings a month before and it was really good prep.

Happy long runs this weekend for you all, I hope.