Options

FLM 2006 Sub 4 hours

Comments

• Options
    Hi All, can I join? Lots of interesting stuff about schedules. I'm doing 4 runs a week - I have a 2 1/2 year old and a partner who works away 3 days a week so more than that is tricky. So i've made up my own trying to kep all the quality work and drop the junk. I'm hoping this will work tho it does mean I don't get any easy runs.

Thanks for all the positive stuff about the Garmin. Been thinking about a 301 for a while even tho the price makes my head ache. I have a Polar HRM so use that a lot. Anyone tried using one of these at the same time as a Garmin 201 or would they interfere with each other? Anything to save a few pennies
  • Options
    Schedules are an interesting subject. I must admit I now use my own schedule which is based on the RW 2000 (I think!). I was intrigued by the schedule in this months RW that was only 3 days a week and was all about etting a PB. One for you Hal's Dad.

As a fifty one year old I am happy with, and can manage 4 days a week. But then again I am 55 minutes slower from "Good for my age" according to FLM.

Some years ago I met a seventy two year old on the New Forest Half and as we ran round we got chatting and I asked him about his schedules, his answer was find a schedule and then make it your own - we are all different. That got me thinking. Also he was a Mon to Fri runner.

Echo PhilC - Happy long runs. 10 miles for me on Sunday.
  • Options
    Hal's Dad

I use a Garmin 201 and Polar HRM on my long runs. No problems at all. Had the Garmin for about 18 months and it's brilliant.

This is my first post on this site. Aiming for sub-4 at London this year. It will be my 4th mara. but the first attempt at sub-4. My previous times were 4.37 Shakespeare (2004), 4.19 London (2005) and 4.11 Loch Ness (2005).

Good luck to all.
  • Options
    Sitting here in my running kit waiting for the snow to stop - in rural Hertfordshire. Maybe I will put off until tommorrow!

Is it snowing anywhere else?
  • Options
    TCPTCP ✭✭✭
    Blousey,

Don't worry about feeling out of place. I'm sure many of us do from time to time. If you are aiming for sub-4 than your are in the right place. Whether you make in this year, next year or the year after, the advice on this forum will stand you in good stead.

And don't worry too much about people posting very quick times over shorter distances. I know people who run 10k in under 40 minutes but couldn't run a 1:45 half. There is only one time that matters and that's over 26.2 miles.

You are not the only person who has missed runs over Christmas. Knuckle down now and you CAN do it. Good luck.
  • Options
    TCPTCP ✭✭✭
    Headbanger

No snow in London (there never is much to my daughters annoyance) but it is raining and very cold.

I also have my kit on and am managing to find other things to do rather than go out and get today's run over with.
  • Options
    Headbanger has been snowing here (Burton on trent) but not setteling , have been out for a 40 min offroader, very muddy underfoot.
    Dont put off till tommorrow something you can do today!
    Its never as bad once you get out and moving.
  • Options
    Tomb Raider. Quite agree, left it for a couple of hours snow turned to rain got soaked. Job Done!

Now to start training on Monday.
  • Options
    Thought I would add my two pennys worth.

Firstly good luck to everybody in their goals. I am following Hals schedule which does 3 20 milers. Was originally following the RW schedule but looked at Hals and liked what I saw, especially about not doing speed work etc. as that should be left for times when not training for a marathon. PArtly liked this because I injured myself b4 christmas with a hill session :¬). On the injury front 2 weeks rest didn't seem to help whatsoever, however a hot watle bottle applied to the area twice a day appears to have done the trick.

I also agree with Chelsea plodder. It seems strange but my 10K and 1/2 marathon mile splits match my target time for the marathon. Strange but true. Obviously I have no speed whatsoever but can plod along at the same pace (8:45 min mile). Hopefully can keep this pace once I get over the 14 mile mark. good luck all.
  • Options
    To The Chelsea Plodder,
    many thanks for your words of encouragement have started to Knuckle down now, ran Thursday 5 miles and Friday £ more going to do between 7-10 tomorrow depending how i feel !

2 things concerning me at the moment are 1) why do get you round/novice training programmes and intermediate seem worlds apart, you see i feel i can do more than the Hal Higdon Novice but couldn't manage his int. Sat & Sundays combined, like the look of rungearrun proramme but no built in rest periods every three weeks just gradual taper ?

b) Now the Glucosamine and Chondroitin question, i am a heavier than average runner 13 stone 8lb currently and 5ft 8, knees hurt on last 16 mile run before Xmas, should i start using this stuff and does anyone know where to get the right stuff for the right money have seen some advertised from vitaminsdirect in national press,

anybody know if this is suitable ??

would appreciate replies

Blousey
  • Options
    Hi Blousey...
    I'm 13st 3lb and am taking cod liver oil capsules with added glucosamine, (made by Seven Seas). I find that my knees are not quite so sore after a long run. I don't know if this is: "all in the mind" I take them 1 a day with breakfast. There is an article in last months RW, I think, reference The amount of Glucosamine you have to take. I seem to remember it's about 1500mg per day??? Where as the amount in the capsules I take is 100mg. So I would be interested in any opinions/advice too!

Ran 15 miler yesterday in 2:09:32 and find that my glutes are really sore. Anyone know of any good stretches other than the norm?
  • Options
    I have been taking Glucosamine tablets for 3 months now, started taking 2 a day 1500 mg now reduced to one a day. Dont creck nearly as much as I used to!
    From what I read before starting taking it, You need to take it for a couple of months before you see any benifits.
    I brought mine from holland and barrett on special offer, Have looked on the net some prices are good on there.
  • Options
    I take cod liver oil capsules everyday and I swear by them. Lot less pain then before after long runs.

Running the marathon for Cosmic charity my first time at London so can't wait. I'm running for this charity as my nephew contracted meningitis and was so well cared for by these kind people at St Mary's hospital in London. COSMIC - Children of St Marys Hospital

They are simply fantastic people, my nephew has made a full recovery.

Any sponsorship would be very much appreciated to help me reach my target of £1000.

http://www.justgiving.com/jasonk

• Options
    Hi All -

Stace - best glute stretch I know goes like this: lie on your back, feet on ground, bent legs, knees up in the air. Put your right ankle on top of your left thigh, near the knee. Nice and casual so far. Now move your left leg towards you and reach around your left leg with both hands. Depending on flexibility, you should be able to grab behind your left thigh or around your left knee. This will pull nicely on your right glutes. Pulling gently towards you will, er, enhance the sensation. Hold for a while and then swap over. Nice.

Feeling nicely tired out after 5 miles yesterday and about 8 today (along the canal, not too muddy though). Still haven't made my mind up about schedules but as long as I keep up the miles and put in some variety I think I'll be OK. Thanks for everyone's comments.

However, I've now have thought of yet another issue. I've been doing a "Body Pump" class at the local gym for the last half year or so. It's basically weight-training done to music - low weight, high repetitions. Good all-round muscular workout and raises the heart rate too. But I'm not sure I can fit that in around all my running. It does have plenty of leg-work - squats and lunges - so I wonder if I can legitimately substitute it for a hill session which is also more about muscular strength. Perhaps if I did the class followed by an easy 30 mins or so running? Anyone got any thoughts?

Finally, to those worrying about their training and schedules and all - I've never stuck completely to a schedule or done all the sessions or all the miles and mostly I've hit my target times at most distances. Allowing for illness, inconveniences and laziness I usually manage to do about 80-90% of a schedule, at most. I'm not a very experienced runner either. So no one should freak out if they are struggling to stick to the schedule. That said, the times where I have struggled in races are when I have failed to do enough long runs. So based on my limited experience I would say you can get away with missing or truncating some runs, but don't skimp on the weekly long run.
  • Options
    Blousey- I get my Glucamine/Chondroitin capsules from www.zipvit.com . If you buy in bulk, I think they are about £23 for 200. I take 2 per day. I started taking them when I suffered from runners knee last year,and haven't had any problems since, touch wood, apart from the usual aches and pains.

I'm following the Hal Higdon intermediate programme, although I have made some alterations to suit my own personal circumstances. Most notably, I have dropped one of the weekday runs and replaced it with the speedwork sessions at my local club, as I feel that this has been of more benefit to me than anything in the last 6 months. As PhilC says, I don't think we should slavishly follow our schedules-they are not written in stone.

For example, I ran next week's long run of 13 miles this weekend, instead of the scheduled 8 miles, which I plan to do next week instead, as I have a XC race next Sunday.

The halfs I am planning are Sleaford & Belvoir.

Hope everyone had a good run this weekend
  • Options

Hello everyone.

FLM 2006 will be my first ever marathon.

I am following my running club's intermediate programme which involves 4 runs a week over 14 weeks starting 16th January. Hope it will bring me home in under 4 hours.

My half marathon p.b. is 1:47.

Last week ran just about 40 miles and did a medium paced 10 miles today with hills.

Good luck everyone
  • Options
    Thanks Stace & Nigel S,
    managed slow 10 miles (9;30 a mile)today as advised in Hal's Novice (slow not the distance) did the pudding in just over 8 mins a mile a month or so ago previously always trained at one plodding pace, now trying to listen to the wise and add some variety, feel pretty good that is 18 miles in four days and going to rest tomorrow.

good health to all
  • Options
    I take Cod Liver Oil (Boots own label) and Glucamine (Holland and Barret 500mg) every day. I take them immediately after a meal which I have been told is important, rather than on an enpty stomach. Don't know how true that is? It did take a few weeks before I noticed any change.

Start my 15 week programme tommorrow. Pulled out of two marathons last year FLM and New Forest with hamstring trouble. Does seem to have cleared up now (touch wood).

Here's keeping my fingers crossed. Lets keep the thread going to the big day as from a selfish point of view(I hope everybody agrees) I do find it very motivational to read peoples replies an see that I am not alone.
  • Options
    All you people buying your fish oils and Glucosamine on the high street - take a look at www.healthspan.co.uk . Their quality is very high, and prices are very low. I'm sure you won't be disappointed!
  • Options
    TCPTCP ✭✭✭
    Fishweb, I wish I'd read your post before going to Boots and spending £25.
  • Options
    Hell Everyone,

First post on here, I ranf FLM last year 4:05, this year determined to get under 4hours.

I had slight knee problems last time so am also taking Glucosamine, its on 3 for 2 at the moment at boots with all other multivit stuff - but health span still cheaper, thanks for that fishyweb, wish id seen that before :(

Anyone else in oxford area?

• Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Hi all, I am following flm emailed schedule for sub 4. Tbh, 3.59.59 will do me nicely. So when a schedule tells me I should run 3 miles slow, any idea what is slow? I did it in 27.34 and looking at times you guys can do I think that may be snail???? Any advice welcome.
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    PS time acc to my new garmin 301))
  • Options
    Wabo - good going! That works out to a 9:11 mile which is not so slow for "slow". I used a RW calculator and it told me my "easy" pace is 9:29 per mile. I reckon anything from 9:15 to 10:00 is slow/easy, assuming that "slow" and "easy" are interchangeable. But I find it hard to keep to a slow pace, especially on short runs. I have to keep checking that I'm not trying too hard. How did your 27:34 FEEL?

I don't use a HR monitor much but if you do you can set it to figure out your slow/easy heartrate, or use an online calculator.
  • Options
    DaveH

Thanks for the info on HRM & Garmin. Didn't want to spend my money and then find they wouldn't work together.

Blousey

I also take Glucosamine - normally bought from Boots. Will check out Healthspan - thanks Fishyweb. What I believe/have been told is 1500mg per day but once you have been taking it for a while the effects last so you can take it one month on/one month off (read that one in RW). For what it's worth my dog is also on Glucosamine/Chondroitin from the vet as she has very bad hips. It has definitely helped her and I don't think she has much of a mind from it all to be in!!
  • Options
    TCPTCP ✭✭✭
    Hal's Dad, what time is your dog aiming for? Sub 4?
  • Options
    Wabo, We are going to be following the RW plan as closely as humanly possible! If you look at the sub 4.00h plan on the website (i.e. not the email they send you every week but the full 15 week schedule) it gives you time guidelines. For the 3M slow it says 28-30 mins. So 27 min is not 'snail' but pretty much spot on what RW recommends.
    Our normal method of training is to run as fast as possible for whatever distance we do, so we are finding the slower paces a bit odd, but are hoping it will be benefitial!
    Vicky
  • Options
    Hutton Trotter are you a member of the Friftgreen trotters by any chance? I am a new member there and I am aiming for a sub 4hour in April, if its the same club we could maybe introduce ourselves conmpare schedules and do a few runs together?

good luck to everyone,

cheers

Garf
  • Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Philc and vicky,thanks for that. To be honest the 27.34 (bearing in mind it was at 7 in morning) felt fine! When I tried to go slower I just end up with the 301 beeping at me cos I go slower than 10m/mile.
    I looked at full schedule but saw a date of 2000 and thought I was in wrong place. Also it isn't the same as the email. Or am I looking at wrong thing?
  • Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Just printed full sched, are you onto week 1, if so I think I went mad. This does look the same as the email!